1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Manga Rec Thread

Discussion in 'General' started by Selias, Jul 8, 2017.

1. Selias

Selias Well worn.

I just discovered a new manga, "Sakamoto Desu Ga?" and I was wondering what other good manga that I've been missing, so I decided to start a rec thread. Keep in mind that linking to illegal content is against the rules, so just stick to names.

To start things off, a few manga that I like:
    Binbougami Ga!
    Golden Boy
    Hentai Kamen
    Hikaru no Go
    Katte ni Kaizo
    Kenji
    Hoshi no Samidare
    One-Punch Man (Pretty sure everyone's heard of this one, but I still like it)
    Saiki Kusuo no Psi Nan
    Sakamoto Desu Ga? (I wasn't sure about it, at first, but I like it)
    Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei
    The Breaker, and its sequel, The Breaker: New Waves (Technically, they're manhwa, but whatever)
    The Gamer (Another one that I'm sure everyone has heard of)
    Yamada Tarou Monogatari (It's been something like ten years since I last read this, so I'm not sure if I still enjoy it or not)
    Yotsuba&!
    Yuusha Gojo Kumiai Kouryuugata Keijiban

I thought about adding a brief summary for my recs... but I don't really want to do that for 16 different manga/manhwa, so you can just google them, if you're curious.

2. ZiPeppe

ZiPeppe (⌐■_■)

Claymore by Norihiro Yagi

Angel Densetsu by the same author as above

Hellsing by Kouta Hirano

Uzumaki by Junji Ito

Fullmetal Alchemist by Hiromu Arakawa

Black Lagoon by Rei Hiroe

Red Eyes by Jun Shindo

Nawaf, Selias and LordVile like this.
  3. Selias

Selias Well worn.

Oh, I forgot to mention Angel Densetsu. Seconding that rec.

Nawaf, Xicree and Snake/Eater like this.
  4. Mu-Sensei

Mu-Sensei No Work, No Life.

Ok, My list....

Change HiFuMi (or 123 depending of the translator) - Martial Artist Girl has 4 different personalities, each of them well versed in a different combat style. Enter our protagonist, who is a fan of Kamen-rider heroes. Tons of Ecchi, nice martial arts, and interesting angle on her MPD. Complete.

Doubt! - The Mc is a ConMan in debt, and his father offers him a deal. Enroll into his school (father is the dean) and investigate three girls, to find which one is his half sister. Seduction optional.

Fate Kaleid Liner Prisma Illya- Needs no intro. Go read it.

Full Metal Alchemist - Seconded, Thirded and Quaded. It is awesome.

Gate - A bit Jingoist (ok, make that a LOT), but it does cover more details than the anime. Art is Meh at best, though.

Hatsukoi Limited - Instead of following one romance story, this manga alternates between a whole classroom worth of girls and boys. And makes it work.

High School of the Dead - It should be called High School of the Boobies instead, but it is good. High Schoolers in the zombie apocalypse.
    Infection - As above.

iShoujo - A cellphone app that appears randomly, has a virtual girls giving people powers to help match-making couples. Pity it was cancelled.

KissXSis - No, Keita has not banged his sisters yet. Hes inching closer to the line everyday though. While managing a harem, and keeping his teacher as an official girlfriend.

Let's Lagoon - A boy and a girl, cast away into a deserted island. At first. Later on, things might take to unexpected directions. Ongoing, but highly recommended. Also, a protagonist which is not a wimp! He actually answers to challenges by getting better himself!

Madan no Ou to Vanadis - Two countries at war, and a young earl taken captive by a warrior princess. Then he is forced to strike a deal to save his homeland, and rise to the challenge of being an army commander. It is a harem, manga, but instead of individual battles, this ones focuses on actual large scale warfare.

Negima/UQ Holder - Akamatsu's masterpiece. Started Ecchi, took a turn for the shounen, but never lost the sexy, sexy shenanigans. Plus, Negi and Touta are very good protagonists in very opposite ways. Lots of characters and character developments, and damn if his world isn't well developed and balanced. Plus, a magic system that works (even if you take stripping spells in account!).

Nisekoi - The Yakuza Heir, the Mafia Princess and their fake relationship. And things go from that to more, and more complicated. The manga even have a fourth girl join the fray by the end.

Onegai Teacher / Onegai Twins / Ano Natsu de Matteru - A Trilogy on the same universe, though the order of the last one is still to be clarified. Very nice WAFF stories, while being very touching, and despite the whole alien artistic licence, very realistic when it comes to people's feelings and reactions.

Rising vs Raijin - A boy wants to be a hero, when his only power is to secret high amounts of goo from his skin. His childhood friend, who he promised to defeat once he got his powers, is an actual hero, and can generate ungodly amounts of electricity and turn into lightning. Oh, and she's a tsundere. Together, they fight crime. And get girls sticky.

Sankarea - Boy meets girl, and they work to revive his dead cat as a zombie- wait what?! Yup. Also, girl end up taking the zombie potion and turning into a zombie, to escape her family issues. Bloody, sweet, disgusting, cute, revolting and extremely romantic, Sankarea is a clash of terms and words that one would never expect to find into a single work. Like I often say, is like gender-swapped twilight, if the later work was, y'know good.

Shinigami-sama to 4-nin to Kanojo - A shoujo-manga loving boy is forced into a deal by a shinigami: get a girlfriend in 24 hours or die. So, he sends 4 invitations to different girls, hoping to be reciprocated by at least one. All of them accept, so he is now forced to become a 'four-timing scum', using and abusing his knowledge to keep the relationships from crumbling down. As if to make things worse, all the girls seem to have a hidden side to them.

Spice and Wolf - A journey through a fantasy world, from the eyes of a trader, instead of a warrior. Adventure, profit and sometimes danger seem to await our protagonist and his companion goddess at every turn of the way. And you learn economy, while having fun!

Sword Art Online, Progressive - Kawahara's final rendition of SAO, in the hands of Himura Kiseki (of Fate Swords Dancer's Fame), and let me tell you: It surpasses the novels every now and then. At other times, it complements it, seeing as the novels are meant to be Kirito's PoV and the Manga Asuna's. Highly recommended, if slow updating.

Tsugumomo - At first, ecchi manga, then it goes somewhat shounen. But hey, it has a rich story, charismatic characters and an intelligent protagonist. Also, very sexy artstyle.

[​IMG]
    Disclaimer: I haven't read everything just yet, so I can't vouch for quality! Also, some of them are Brazillian Stuff, so don't worry if you don't know them.

5. Lykaia

Lykaia Well worn.

I'm going to echo Mu-Sensei is a very good manga with all the things he listed and that you should definitely read it if you get the chance. As for some of my reccomendations.

Sekai Oni - A young girl saves the world from destruction by otherworldly invaders and in the process kills off her abusive family one by one. While it may come off as a bit 'edgy' it's one of the best horror and psychological I've read.

School Ningyo - Schoolgirls hunt down a very untraditional interpretation of mermaids so that they can have love. It's crazy but in a good way with a neat horror aspect to it.

Misu Misou - Bullied girl snaps when her classmates end up killing her family in a fire and goes on an epic revenge killing spree.

Jisatsu Circle - A girl tries to find the secrets behind a suicide club only to find that there's more going on than there appears.

Fox Daughter - A happy fox god is excited that a guy she liked has come back to her and then she realizes how much time has passed.

Bokurano - A group of children find themselves forced to use a giant robot to fight other giant robots to save the world. This is not a happy story.

To Love-Ru Darkness - A shameless harem fanservice manga with good art.

Selias likes this.
  6. Mu-Sensei

hmm, I second To Love Ru Darkness and add one of my own:

Maga Tsuki - A perverted boy living on a temple unseals a goddess of misfortune, and have his soul literally attached to her. Now, he needs o remain in contact with her at all times or he'll die and have to be brought back to life within minutes or his soul will pass away. All he wanted was to marry his neighbor and do H things to her. Later, more goddesses will join the lovely family.

Anonnermus likes this.
  7. mizerie

mizerie Brazenly New

Grand Blue - a mature comedy about diving(lol) that will give you a laugh. Its been written by the author of BakaTest so expect the usual shenanigans.

Maou-jou de Oyasumi - a funny story about a little kidnapped princess that terrorizes her demon kidnappers while looking for a good way to sleep.

8. Unyouthful Steve

Unyouthful Steve Know what you're doing yet?

Acchi Kocchi
    Amano Megumi wa Suki Darake!
    Ao no Exorcist
    Bakuon!!
    Dagashi Kashi
    Danberu nan kiro moteru?
    Domestic na Kanojo
    Dragons Rioting
    Ero Manga Sensei
    Hajimete no Gal
    Hatsukoi Zombie
    Horimiya
    It's My Life
    Maou na Ano Ko to Murabito A
    Maou no Hisho
    Maou-jou de Oyasumi
    Spirit Migration
    Tejina Senpai
    Tensei Shitara Ken deshita
    Tensei Shitara Slime Datta Ken
    Tomo-chan wa Onnanoko!
    Tsugumomo
    Yakumo-san wa Edzuke ga Shitai
    Yuragi-sou no Yuuna-san
    Zettai Reiiki
    Aharen-san wa Hakarenai
    Ajin-chan wa Kataritai
    Anitomo
    Ashita wa Doyoubi
    Boku no Hero Academia
    Boku no Kanojo ga Majime
    Bokura wa Minna Kawaisou
    Bokutachi wa Benkyou ga Dekinai
    D-Frag
    Enen no Shouboutai
    Fudatsuki no Kyoko-chan
    Kaguya-sama wa Kokurasetai
    Kanojo ni Awaseru Kao ga Nai
    Kanojo ni Naru Hi
    Karakai Jouzu no Takagi-san
    Koi wa Amaagari no You ni
    Komi-san wa Komyushou Desu.
    Komori-san wa Kotowarenai!
    Kusumi-kun, Kuuki Yometemasu ka?
    Kyou no Cerberus
    Magical Change
    Mahou Shoujo Pretty Bell
    Murenase! Shiiton Gakuen
    Nagato Yuki-chan No Shoushitsu
    Nukoduke!
    Ojojojo
    Omae o Otaku ni Shiteyaru kara, Ore o Riajuu ni Shitekure!
    Otonari Complex
    Pocket Monsters - Festival of Champions (Doujinshi)
    Rakudai Kishi no Eiyuutan
    Vigilante: Boku no Hero Academia Illegals
    World Customize Creator
    Wotaku ni Koi wa Muzukashii
    Yuusha-sama, Yukagen wa Ikaga desu ka?

9. Xyarlothep

Xyarlothep Tentacular Observer

Psyren- One of my favourites in its respective genres, has a good post apocalyptic setting, an interesting take on time travel and superpowers.

Holyland- One of the two manga that I could think of that's good enough to practically be required reading.

Monster- The other manga that's good enough to practically be required reading.

Maybe I'll think of more as the day passes.

10. Selias

Selias Well worn.

Never heard of Monster, and I didn't really get into Psyren when I first tried reading it, but Holyland was a good one.

gustyeagle likes this.
  11. daimahou

daimahou Gentleman Tentacle(s)

ARIA/AQUA and Amanchu! by Amano Kozue. ARIA anime is great too (that soundtrack...), haven't seen Amanchu yet.

Übel Blatt by Shiono Etorouji.

ID - the greatest fusion fantasy. Might even make a comeback as a webtoon as the artist had said he might do it if there is interest.

12. Derek58

Derek58 Rocket Punch is Best Punch

One Piece by Eiichiro Oda- extremely well done story, characters, worldbuilding, and fights. The manga's been going since 1997 and I can think of only two arcs that I didn't like all of (Skypiea and Dressrosa)

Boku no Hero Academia by Kohei Horikoshi - Another Shonen Jump manga. Very nice art, unique characters, and great action.

Konkiji no Gash Bell by Makoto Raiku - One of my all time favorites. Great humor, characters, and fights.

Dobutsu no Kuni also by Makoto Raiku - same reasons as Gash Bell, and handles some very mature themes quite well.

Hajime no Ippo by George Morikawa - One of the best sports manga I've ever read. Wonderfully drawn and paced fights, lots of detail about the boxing world, and great characters.

Berserk by Kentaro Miura - Absolutely amazing art, some of the best I've ever seen. Excellent action, setting, and characters.

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure by Hirohiko Araki - Rough art at first, but it improves great along with Araki's skills. Very unique settings and characters, and some wonderfully done fights that rely on outsmarting your opponent, especially once Stands are introduced.

FTR2017 and gustyeagle like this.
  13. CrossyCross

CrossyCross LADY OF LOVE

It's kinda like this tho:

[​IMG]

gustyeagle, Anonnermus, zamin and 3 others like this.
  14. Svaleryn

Svaleryn I trust you know where the happy button is?

Gonna hafta rec Nana to Kaoru and it's sequel, Nsna to Kaoru Arashi with the gorce of a thousand suns. Both are completed as well.

Also gonna rec Voynich Hotel. Complete and hilarious. Seriously, how often do you get to see a 'loli' get to legit wear a shirt with 'Fuck Me' snd a downwards pointing arrow underneath outside of a doujin?

CrossyCross, Derek58 and daimahou like this.
  15. Lykaia

Lykaia Well worn.

Oh, I can't believe I forgot to mention it but Yosuga no Sora is perhaps both my favorite manga and my favorite anime. It's exceptionally well done and deals focuses on Kasugano Haruka and his twin sister Sora dealing with their parent's death and their own need for one another.

16. Somebody

Somebody Experienced.

So, I may or may not be performing necromancy here. Please don't kill me?

Two of my absolute favorite manga/manhwa/manhua have to be The God of Highschool (basically, imagine korean DBZ in high school. Main characters Mori Jin, Daewi Han, and Mira Yoo have been invited to the God of Highschool competition, a contest between the strongest fighters in the world with a single, unlimited wish as the grand prize. There's a fairly serious genre shift halfway through where it goes from a martial arts manhwa to a fantasy one, in case you're not into that sorta thing) and this new one, Records of Ragnarok (the gods have come together for their once in a millenium meeting, where they unanimously decide to kill humanity. Thankfully, a valkyrie, Brynhildr, one of the intermediaries between humanity and gods, interferes and manages to get a stay of execution. She challenges the gods to Ragnarok, a thirteen vs. thirteen battle between humanity and the gods, where if humanity can win at least seven matches then they are allowed to live. On the other hand, if the gods win seven matches, mankind dies. The first battle? Thor vs. Liu Bei. And it only gets crazier from there. It's only thirteen chapters and two battles so far, but shit gets crazy awesome. Also a few genuinely tearjerking moments, some badass awesomeness, a dash of heartwarming and some serious character development, despite the battles only lasting three or four chapters each).

Of course, there's also Boku Girl, a gender bender manga about a boy, Mizuki, who gets transformed into a girl by Loki, and the various sexy shenanigans as he tries to find a way back to being a guy. There's a genuine Love Triangle, various funny moments, and some serious moments to spice things up. For foodies, there's Shinmai Shimai no Futari Gohan, a cooking manga about these two girls who've just recently become stepsisters cooking various dishes, and Hell's Kitchen, a sadly discontinued manga about Moriya, a boy who never commits to anything, being taken under the wing of Dogma, the Duke of Poor Eating, who trains Moriya in cooking so as to obtain the 'Soul of a True Chef', a delicacy in Hell that is basically the soul of someone who is wholeheartedly committed to cooking above all else. Unfortunately, Moriya has no intention of being eaten by Dogma, and endeavors to escape from this one-sided contract, to little success.

Selias likes this.
  17. Mu-Sensei

Okay, here are some recent finds of Mine:

Shachiku Succubus no Hanashi - A guy is visited by a succubus, promising to show him any dream of his choice in exchange for some life force. The results... are not what she expected.

Kumo wa Desu Ka, Nani Ka? (I'm a spider, so What?) - Girl is reincarnated as a spider somewhere on a huge dungeon underground, and a desperate fight for survival starts.

Buta Koushaku ni Tensei Shitakara, Kondo wa Kimi ni Suki to Iitai - Guy is reincarnated as a fat, assholish, but magically powerful dukedom heir in one of those magic high schools of anime, and wants to fix himself because he can do better. And not be NTRed by the protagonist, because he likes his maid.

Kekkon Yubiwa Monogatari (Tales of Wedding Rings) - A guy finds a girl (and her grandfather) in a forest as a kid due to a strange light, makes friends with her, who carries a pair of wedding rings on a necklace, and falls in love with her. Years later, she invites him to a festival to say goodbye, and he follows her into that forest, and into a parallel world under attack by the forces of evil. Turns out she's a princess, and those rings, are capable of empowering a human to mach the demons. ...Oh! and there are four more princesses he needs to marry to get the other elemental rings from!

Kanojo, Okarishimasu - Guy breaks up with his girlfriend, and goes down in the dumps. Seaching the net, he finds out a bout a 'Girlfriend Rental Service' to help people gain confidence and or feel better about themselves and gives it a try. The girl is super-cute, super-nice and he totes do it a second time after he meets his Ex again. One tiny bit of a problem: He might or might not rushed into the hospital with her when he found his grandma passed out. Oh, and the girls own grandma might have made friends with his...

18. shadowdice

shadowdice Connoisseur.

I recently found a manga called The Eminence in Shadow

A chuunibyou guy who did ridiculous weight lifting, training, and studying to be a Mysterious Ally character died due to running at a truck in the middle of the woods after doing insane exercises to try and achieve magic (This included repeatedly bashing his head against trees until they got destroyed). That led to him getting reincarnated in a magical world where he ends up doing the same thing all over again while pretending to be incompetent.

In his training he ends up repeatedly slaughtering bandits as part of his routine and saved an elf girl who he ended up sharing the Chuuni conspiracy theories that he made up for fun.

Unfortunately said elf girl takes it all completely seriously and ends up recruiting more people to join him in this, but the MC thinks they are just humoring his persona.

Things then horrifically snowball as parts of his conspiracy theory turn out to be right and the organization he accidentally made end up starting a shadow war without him realizing it.

19. Svaleryn

...Sasuga MC-kun.

Edit: Having read it, SASUGA MC-KUN!!!!! It’s so painfully aware and bad that loops around to being hilarious.

Last edited: May 3, 2019
    gustyeagle, Anonnermus and shadowdice like this.
  20. shadowdice

shadowdice Connoisseur.

The manga's flashbacks showing him as Hulk with generic Anime MC haircut just sells me on how oblivious he is.

21. Svaleryn

ikr? Like how fucking dumb can one chuuni be? Like Rikka and co aren’t even that dumb and those girls are chuuni as fuck. It’s literally at Ainz level of oblivious, if not worse. Maybe harem protag level?

But thats what sells it and makes trash into gold.

Least Devotee and shadowdice like this.
  22. shadowdice

shadowdice Connoisseur.

I've read a really weird manga Shougakusei ga Mama demo Li desk ka.

It is bizarre.

The MC is a game developer who ends up meeting his mom after she reincarnated.

MC: I can't call a little kid Mom!

Mother: I'm worried that you don't have a girlfriend yet.

MC: I don't want to hear this from you. It sounds wrong coming from that mouth.

*Insert the Reincarnated Mom's Highschooler sister*

JK Sister: It is perverted to call your mom -chan.

MC: It is more perverted to call a girl who looks like that Mom.

JK Sister:...Oh crap that's right.

Mother: You keep trying to sleep in my bed, I should not hear that from you.

Thus comes the story of misunderstandings as the MC keeps people from thinking he is a weird lolicon, his coworkers think he's dating the JK, and his reincarnated mom keeps trying to set him up with one of his coworkers.

23. Casualfarmer

Casualfarmer Versed in the lewd.

I've got 2 for now.

Anybody who hasn't read Otoyomegatari yet, go do that. Its about a young wife and her younger husband in 1800s near the caspian sea along the silk road. its well researched, its funny, and it has some pretty good battle scenes.

And oh god the scenery porn. Its probably one of the best looking manga ever created.

29 to JK. The premise is that a highschooler falls in love with a 29 year old man. Trash premise. and then the MANAGEMENT starts. It turns out this manga is more about the dude's job as a call center leader than the whole romance sub plot that he genuinely doesnt want to be a part of. Its kind of weird that I like him having to deal with his manager's bullshit, but its entertaining. The MC is a cool guy too.

Last edited: May 14, 2019
    Cattongue, Zawar, Imabot and 2 others like this.
  24. daimahou

umm, it's not? IIRC it's closer to Turkey...

*looks at wikipedia* Set in Central Asia in a rural town near the Caspian Sea during the late 19th century

Imabot and Casualfarmer like this.
  25. wanara009

wanara009 (Soon-to-Be) Monkey God

Here's a good one:
    Hoankan Evans no Uso (Sheriff Evan's Lies)

Imagine Ciaphas Cain. Except instead of being driven by survival, he just want to get laid, then set it in the Wild West.

Another one:
    Tatoeba Last Dungeon Mae no Mura no Shounen ga Joban no Machi de Kurasu Youna Monogatari

It's about a weakling wanting to be the very best (soldier)... except said weakling actually came from a village located right next to the Final Boss dungeon. Hilarity thusly ensues.

26. WindCall12

WindCall12 Well worn.

Does anyone have a Harem manga with an honest to god Harem? No will they won't they or which one will he pick (even if it obvious that it will be the first girl) or other bullshit. Like is there at least one with a Harem that goes all the way with multiple girls, preferably at the same time?

27. wanara009

wanara009 (Soon-to-Be) Monkey God

There is that one. I can't remember the title, but it's the one about a hero-descendant suddenly having the descendant of a Demon Lord as their adopted sister. I do remember that I don't like it, and the manga adaptation is very short.

EDIT: Oh, and there's also Love Tyrant (Renai Boukun).

28. shadowdice

shadowdice Connoisseur.

Shinmai Maou no Testament.

wanara009 likes this.
  29. CrossyCross

CrossyCross LADY OF LOVE

The World Of Moral Reversal: basically, girl wakes up in an alternate (as her alternate self), where the sexual standards are reversed. "Girls are the perverts" stuff. But there's also stuff where girls are okay going down to their underwear when hot (equivalent to guys unbottoning shirts or taking them off), while boys don't. Or how the girls' section of underwear is just this one lonely cart with a bunch of mismatched bras and panties, while guys now have the Victoria's Secret equivalent for male underwear.

Expect to see tits, but at least to me, those are less for blatant fanservice, and more to strike a point about how the nudity mores have changed, and the main point of the manga is the sheer comedy of the protagonist as she boggles at everything.

30. daimahou

I had forgotten that hentai had became a "normal" manga...

Treble and Somebody like this.