1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Quadruple space here, in the reply box. Shows normal in the post.

It's interesting to see OL showing this kind of respect for the dead, though the reasoning is made clear later.

So he missed the whole.. debacle at Christmas. Good to know.

I expect if the word went public, there'd be celebrations in the streets.

Pragmatic.

"Do you want this guy coming after you as a ghost? Because not doing this is how you get that."

There's a lot you don't know, kid. You make that clear every time you open your mouth...

Amazing, he actually can think for himself!

Good plan.

Heh, buddy-cop comedy spin-off hook. He's an Honourable Man with a power ring. He's a high-powered telekinetic with an attitude. Together, they fight Space Crime!

Aw, Best Granny, you know him so well.

That's a lot of Fear, to show through the Avarice. Goes to show just how big a thing this is.

Okay, OL, there's playing dumb, and then there's this...

Remind me, she does know of his meta-knowledge? Is she realising the likelyhood that seeing it in a comic book is a lot less intense than living it?

Okay, that makes sense. He was underestimating the armour chunk's importance.. which is extremely high level.

A decent denouement and plot hooks for the future. Let's just hope we don't get a Crisis up in this fic...

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
  2. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.

Bramble Thorn likes this.
  3. BR549

BR549 This is filth! FILTH!!

"That's right! He can be taught!"

4. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

Someone get that telephone, because I fucking called it!

Buggy123 likes this.
  5. TheEyes

TheEyes Well worn.

Well, it might be worthwhile for Paul to bring up that he has run into Black Light, what would you call them, shamans I guess, on Earth. Might be slightly safer than one of the Maltusians getting it into their head to try to build a Black Ring as a stopgap measure.

6. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Well that's what her memories of people in Earth-16 say, anyway.

Since the memories of everyone in Earth-16 concerning anything that happened before 2006 are in fact a retcon according to the 52 event, one could hardly be blamed for being unconvinced.

Before 52, Earth-16 was identical to New Earth. Superboy was telekinetic. Wonder Woman was too young to fight in WW2, Mars was dead, Superman had adventures with the Legion of Superheroes as Superboy, etc, etc.

Then Mr Mind took a bite out of Earth-16 and now Mars has life, Wonder Woman was a WW2 vet, and kryptonian human hybrids don't seem to have psychic powers.

Last edited: May 20, 2019
  7. Oglymogly

Oglymogly I trust you know where the happy button is?

I was expecting a bigger reaction, but honestly, kicking in the door through a few thousand light years and showing a non aligned emotion? That's bloody screaming for a Guardian or Controller.

Did she just shoo him away so he wouldn't annoy anyone? Cause that's how I read that. After all, OL has a long tract record of pissing off the Skittle Lords.

8. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Is this enough of a problem to warrant cooperation between the Controllers, Guardians, and Zamarons?

9. Oglymogly

Oglymogly I trust you know where the happy button is?

I would assume so, if Hinon's quotes imply that all Malthusians remember fighting the Anti-Monitor. The question I have is if they are willing to drop everything and work together with no fuss, or of they'll use this as a excuse to politic.

And, of course, if this will blow up in their faces.

Also, as a bonus, how this land mine will blow up in the Renegade's face. I suppose Effigy will eventually stumble upon the station on his own?

10. Stsword

Something to keep in mind-

If Anti-Monitor is alive, then a universe eating cosmic entity is a potential threat.

If the Anti-Monitor is dead, then Nekron can use him to make the Central Black Lantern Battery to start Blackest Night, so a zombie apocalypse out to snuff out the very concept of life from the universe is a potential threat.

So it's a pick your poison situation.

Bramble Thorn, Drode, Ardy and 8 others like this.
  11. Tasoli

Tasoli Keyboard Warrior

In that one story Uchiha Sasuke and Power of Lies it was called I think, Sasuke thinks about how some people die so hard they never existed in the first place. Like people that betray Konoha since nobody ever betrays Konoha.

I think anti-monitor is set for same treatment.

12. CTrees

CTrees Chasing the ring

Huh, if that started Blackest Night (I never finished reading that event...), then might be possible for Hinon's solution to inadvertently start the Orangest Night Truggs was worried about?

13. Phrexia Unbound

Phrexia Unbound Oooh...that's good.

That or Nekron can resurrect the Anti Monitor as a Black Lantern.

infinityDivided and Navi-Hank like this.
  14. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

Did you mean "cells"?

think

Is this really worth commenting on? HTML is explicitly a whitespace-agnostic format, and QQ's stylesheet doesn't change that (unlike some sites), so that shouldn't cause any issues. Unless it causes problems for the epub conversions I don't see it being a good use of time to find these OR to fix these.

Hell's Razer and Mr Zoat like this.
  15. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Eh, I just call any wrong-looking spacing I see, same as spelling errors or off grammar. Since I'm going line-by-line, it's no hassle to mark them. Mr Zoat's free to fix them or not as he pleases.
    Just glad others are catching things I miss. Seriously, how'd I miss those two you spotted...

Bramble Thorn and BR549 like this.
  16. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

An Indigo Lantern channeling the Black Light of Death might also be able to accomplish it (we at least know that ILs can channel/emulate/whatever that light, because John managed it when he had an Indigo ring that time when the green rings were being possessed or something).

Bramble Thorn and Ardy like this.
  17. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

Normally I'd say "not necessarily on Earth 16" but in this case the story FAQ actually explicitly says that indigo has some access to the other colors.

Prince Charon likes this.
  18. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.
    I do actually prefer to have them pointed out, as they still exist on my Word copy.
    Essentially, an Indigo's ability to use other colours is dependent on the penitants emotions before they were handed over to the Corps for rehabilitation. If they rejoiced in causing fear, then they can use yellow light. If they were raging bezerkers, red light. William Hand would be able to use black light if thye took him, but he's an... Unusual case and might have ended up breaking the system.

19. Massgamer

Massgamer Not too sore, are you?

Best hope that a certain Weaponsmith that Paul hired doesn't hear about this.

Vorian, Prince Charon, Ardy and 2 others like this.
  20. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

No... I mean it required an actual Black Lantern imprisoning him inside the Black Central Power Battery.

Gantradies, caspian1a and Cuchulin like this.
  21. Maxx Crowley

Maxx Crowley I trust you know where the happy button is?

So confirmed then.

Once more OL runs into a threat that tanks everything he's got. Some other character is brought in who has just the (Far superior) ability for the job, with the added pip of the threat basically being forced to hurt himself.

Maybe Kid Flash IS some sort of future seer. He did state the belief that OL was the weakest person in the room.

22. hance1986

hance1986 A pitiful excuse for a man.

That's missing the point. OL did kill the guy Devlos Ungara I think the name was. Hinton was contacted for a consultation then freaked and came herself upon confirmation of Anti Monitor fuckery. The problem has been kicked upstairs like it should be.

23. Maxx Crowley

No, the point was that OL hasn't been able to actually just WIN a fight (Unless it's against a fellow hero) for quite a long time now. The peak being when the Silver city bitch smacked him down like a small toddler, while the forces of Hell were actually able to do something.

At this point, not even his crumbler rounds (as godlike as anything "crumbler" stated has been till now) are working. Laser attacks, plasma attacks, extreme heat and cold, X-ionized sharper than sharp blades, explosives and anti-psychic attacks. Net gain? Zero.

Hell, he's pounding on threats with weaponized BLACK HOLES and beams of pure destruction and they just look at him like "Yeah, what-butt?"

Compared to his effectiveness right at the start, he's basically entered into the job guy phase of his career.

I also made a crack about OL pounding on someone with everything he's got, only to end up calling some random character that he knows about, who basically shows up and solves the problem.

And...that's kinda what just happened. Again.

24. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

To be fair he was fighting effectively God 'capital G' and hell was getting ready up for a war with heaven anyway.

I'd look at it was Paul has entered the late game as a generalist so he's trying to solo late game bosses and needs to pick party members to hard-counter them.

Edit: typo

Last edited: May 21, 2019
    Vorian, Navi-Hank, Ardy and 1 other person like this.
  25. Maxx Crowley

It was a jacked up Pidgeon of war, and by the end it was questionable whether the leadership above whoever Boss Smiley was impersonating even knew what was going on. Or cared for that matter.

OL has already poked the Greek and Norse Gods, and Gravyen took a Zeus bolt to the skull. I will not ascribe any more power or importance to the abrahamic deity then they get.

The fact remains that NOTHING OL did that entire arc mattered. Meanwhile, Harm, a guy he actually beat once, was flattening Silver City forces left and right.

I barely understand why OL bothers with having a power ring any longer. Minus it's ease of use. I do take solace in his armor actually mattering.

I so loathe the "armor is useless" trope.

Magic has been shown to be the most powerful force in the universe, and even something as mundane as Telekinesis has consistently outperformed him. Being the thing that actually won the day in this very fight.

26. Stsword

When Anti-Monitor broke out of the Central Black Lantern Battery, the seven lantern corps got to fight a Black Lantern Anti-Monitor who could tank all their attacks at the same time.

Whether because his armor was just that tough, or because the Anti-Monitor is an energy vampire, I don't know.

caspian1a likes this.
  27. Queshire

Queshire Not too sore, are you?

Eh...... TK with enough points put into it for FTL. That's a different beast.

infinityDivided and Vorian like this.
  28. AidanMorgan

AidanMorgan Essentially Overworked

Oh, hey, I wrote that.

Should probably go back to writing it, but life is being life.

Glad you remembered it, though :)

Vorian likes this.
  29. Maxx Crowley

While I wont disagree, I do consider "moving things with my mind with some...undefined force" to be far more mundane then Ring of Power, fueled by an universal emotional force.

I recall reading somewhere that next to super strength, telekinesis was the next most common super power.

After her powerup with the Star conqueror form, I'd state Ms. Martian to be the most powerful member of the team, especially if Zatanna has lost the staff. Only being beaten out in raw power terms by Kon, if he decides to fully open up with his Helios vision.

Thing is, everyone and their brother that shows up now utterly tanks everything OL throws at them. Then he contacts someone, and then that person shows up and with Mind power or Magic power...their shit actually WORKS.

Why? What makes whatever the hell they are doing better then what OL is doing?

Furthermore, after being slapped down like a toddler (something I can't stress enough with how helpless he was) one would think that OL would be quite concerned with it happening again, and thus moving to up his own personal might. But as it stands....he doesn't even seem to care. Like, death and revival were less impactful then a trip to the grocery store.

I'm not kidding when I say that, were I OL, I would actively be looking to replace my ring with one of the demonstrably most powerful/useful forces out there. I'd basically only keep the ring for backup/scanning purposes at this point.

His ring is less a source of power at this point, and more the drawer that he keeps all his actual useful shit in.

30. Queshire

Queshire Not too sore, are you?

Dude, that's because of out of character shit. Do you have any idea how hard it is crafting level appropriate adventures for someone with OL specs?

Simonbob likes this.