1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. BR549

BR549 This is filth! FILTH!!

Also, in many continuities, the Guardians literally did their best to wipe out magic everywhere but Earth (because Earth later retconned to because White Entity).

2. Revlis

Revlis Getting sticky.

And Earth is home adjacent to the Life Entity. There is magic elsewhere in the universe, but concentrated to where life is prevalent. Stronger on living worlds. But possible none stronger than Earth, barring some magic dimensions. (I think)

3. Rebu

Rebu hey, little Anna, you're the one

I probably would've argued Effigy still helped, just to throw the rookie a bone.

Just a guy, Istaran, Ardy and 4 others like this.
  4. Ganurath

Ganurath Apologizes For Nothing

Paul's ring is orange, not indigo.

5. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Two things.

I am like 90% sure it's too late for that.

And the Renegade is boned, he has no idea any of this is happening and no way to stop the guy.

Last edited: May 21, 2019
    Vorian, Istaran, Ardy and 4 others like this.
  6. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.
    Not really. I just copy and paste the formatting for a speech mark.

7. Grimnar

Grimnar Versed in the lewd.

This reads to me, that Jevek wasn't telling the whole truth. They MAY have been arguments from Jevek about how impactful his project was, but this makes it look Hinon went to bat for OL, and may in fact have talked him up quite a bit.

8. BR549

BR549 This is filth! FILTH!!

Also, on the subject of "how good is OL at winning fights really"...it's worth remembering that while the most powerful superpower of all is money, running a very close second is 'I Know A Guy'.

9. Lubaf

Lubaf Meow.

Less the worst, and more "what inadvisable thing did he do and what horrible scheme did he accidentally uncover this time?" OL's got a habit of doing something that causes absolute chaos, intentionally, and uncovering some pretty awful stuff in the process.

Thanks
    Luc "Chaotic Lawful" French

10. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

maybe it's the eris worship

11. Old Knife

Old Knife Not too sore, are you?

Disagree. He nommed semi functional knock off Anti-monitor armor.

He scary AF.

12. Simonbob

Simonbob Really? You don't say.

Where has it been said that Life=Magic, anyway?

caspian1a likes this.
  13. Aeess

Aeess I trust you know where the happy button is?

At the beginning of the story when it was revealed that Paul doesn't have a soul. It was said that compex life isn't supposed to be possible withoutt magic and pretty much anyone has a soul.

14. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

Then it's a good thing that isn't a crappy cartoon.

Either "technique doesn't" or "techniques don't".

Possibly "maltusians"? Not sure if you're switching to referring to "those from Maltus" instead of "same species as Hinon".

Mr Zoat, AidanMorgan and Navi-Hank like this.
  15. Twilight666

Twilight666 I trust you know where the happy button is?

Mr Zoat I was reading the last 2 chapters and I had a thought.
    During OL's fight with what Maxx Crowley refers as the 'Pidgeon of War' the only one to be able to do anything against the silver city was Harm who was basically eating angels and their silver fire... and now OL can do the same!;)
    Is that on purpose? I mean he was basically eating the Bleed here:eek:
    Did OL use Harm as an inspiration and this is his anti-Silver City countermeasures?

Vorian, Navi-Hank and Ardy like this.
  16. Maxx Crowley

Maxx Crowley I trust you know where the happy button is?

I can never remember his name, or how to spell it correctly.

17. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

There is a whole planet of magic somewhere in the universe. So the point is that portable magic batteries are rare.

Now if you are some kind of powerful Demigod like Wonder Woman, who is basically a Goddess of Truth or you are a New God... you can do magic anywhere.

That's the real reason the GLs could defeat the Empire Of Tears. The Empire was limited to their planets while the GLs weren't.

18. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    He wasn't eating the Bleed, -though in theory the technique should still work- he was eating what appeared to be the output of an advanced Bleed manipulation technique.

19. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

I have to wonder about the negative consequences of consuming energy via the Orange Light the way Paragon is doing. I suppose there’s a danger of being corrupted/influenced by the nature of the energy consumed, like Sybarite and Mammite Paul. In that sense eating Anti-Monitor energies is probably a bad idea.
    Actually in Clarion Call OL tried to consume angelic magic on Mount Skybreak, but I believe he was interrupted or something. Can he conceivably consume Source-based energy? And what effect would that have on him and his soul?

Navi-Hank likes this.
  20. PDV

PDV Revelation That Uncertainty Is Itself An Answer

If I was the Illustres I'd have said "I would probably have needed to get luckier without his assistance."

Which seems correct; he was moderately outgunned and needed to devote sustained effort to maintain the power output needed to have an effect on Ungol's armor. Two of him would have had an easier time than him + Effigy, but having a second person available to divide Ungol's attention and effort made his margin for error much bigger.

21. IndigoAbyss

IndigoAbyss Isaac of the Abyss

You know, I can't wait for the inevitable arrival of the Anti-Monitor. We all know he's coming. Maybe this is where we see all the other Pauls? Either way, can't wait. I also hope Darkseid makes an appearance. I know he's made a few appearances on the Renegade timeline, but as far as I know, he's yet to appear in the Paragon.
    Just hope that the multiverse doesn't get destroyed.

Obliviated fan and BR549 like this.
  22. Ganurath

Zatanna's
    Alternate
    Understands
    Rituals
    Insuring
    Enslaved
    Lunatic

There you go, a simple and easy mnemonic to remember Zauriel's name, and how to spell it.

23. Maxx Crowley

Maxx Crowley I trust you know where the happy button is?

Awesome. Except Zauriel isn't the Pigeon of War.

24. Ganurath

Ah, right, you must mean Karrien Excalibris then.

Killer
    Angel
    Reprogramming
    Results
    In
    Exospheric
    Napalm

The X limits things... Although that last name is basically a pormanteu of King Arthur performing a circumcision, if that's memorable enough for you.

25. Threadmarks: Ways and Means (part 21)
    Mr Zoat

25th January
    01:32 GMT +3

Natasa nods as she takes the urn from me. "I will ask after the man whom Mother of Mercy spoke of. And I will of course treat this in the same way as I would any other funerary urn, but I am uncertain if this will… If it will work."

I smile and shrug. "I don't think anyone is. But… I don't control that. And I don't plan on re-enacting Antigone."

She turns away to take the urn to an appropriate storage shelf within the Temple of Hades. "Did you consider him to be an honourable foe?"

"No. In the few minutes that I knew him I began to truly detest him. He proudly proclaimed himself to be a traitor. He killed billions merely because he felt that wanton violence was proper."

"Then I suspect that Lord Hades will send him to the Punishment Fields."

"There is some question as to whether he was in his right mind, but… Probably. It's up to Lord Hades. My part is done."

She glances back with a curious expression on her face, then nods approvingly before continuing onwards.

I'm probably making Eris jealous, aren't I? I need to come up with something chaotic. Either that or man up and call it off. Whatever 'it' is at the moment. But the thing about Hades is that there isn't anything I want from him that I don't think he'd willingly give to me now. Having him as my primary deity doesn't get me anything… Apart perhaps from the aid of whatever shades feel like involving themselves in the world of the living, and even that

Vulcan's unhappiness about being woken up late at night was forgotten the moment I handed him most of the fragments of Devlos Ungol's armour which Hinon was willing to spare. I don't know if they'll discover anything new, but magic is the one avenue of investigation which the Maltusian brain trust probably haven't tried. I've got to deliver the rest to Welsh John, see if his arcanist approach yields any better results.

But for now, my work here is done. I turn and walk out of the temple.

24th January
    17:34 GMT -5

John Stewart looks up as I stroll into the bar. Guy notices him doing so and turns around on his chair, makes eye contact with me and waves. Martin creates a flame construct hand to wave for him and Xalitan doesn't really react as I walk over and take my seat. Guy's got some sort of construct book open in front of him, and takes a sip of his beer as he flicks through it.

"What's that?"

"One time, I asked Hal if Guardians ever had dick-waving contests. Guess I just found out." He dismisses the construct and looks at me. "Guardians have ordered me to start doin' research on techniques and stuff Green Lanterns used to do. See if I can recreate them."

"Sounds like you're getting more responsibility."

"Hey, I got to the top and I had to stop and it don't bother me at all. I don't want Salaak's job." He hesitates. "I was gunna say 'not for at least twen'y years'. But I actually don't think I'll ever want it."

"Is that stuff you can do on Earth?"

"I dunno, maybe? Probably be harder without other Lanterns around-." He cuts himself off, then looks around the table. "Yeah. Yeah, you could be onta something there." He leans back, smiling. "Have ta check with Chaselon, but I can probably swing it."

"Good show. Martin?"

"Yeah, I talked to my folks."

"And..?"

He shrugs. "They calmed down. You know, eventually."

I take a moment to check his injuries. The outward damage is completely gone, though I suppose there could be lasting internal damage that I can't see. "Anything from Jevek?"

"Think I'm kind of in the shit for not doing more when we fought Devlos." He frowns. "What was that they were saying about you being able to beat him without me?"

"They think my energy absorption would have worn him down in the end. Personally, I'm not sure he wouldn't have shot me first, so I'm grateful."

He doesn’t look much happier. "It's just… I got these flame powers and I figure… No problems, right? I can block bullets, fly through space, tear giant ships apart..? And then there's this guy and he's just shrugging everything off?"

"There's always a bigger fish."

He frowns. "I'm not fighting fish."

"I mean, there's always someone more powerful than you."

"Yeah." Guy nods. "Like us."

"Guy, can you… Not?"

"Not what?"

"Not Guy."

A breath hisses between John's teeth. "No."

"The point is-."

"The point is, it was your first job an' you had no training. You even know how your flame-thing works? What it can do?"

"Telekinesis? And burn stuff?"

"What stuff? How dense stuff? You got any idea how to disable someone without crippling them? Can you make tools like we do, or is it all burning shapes?" Martin just sort of freezes. "Does your telekinesis have t'be on fire, or can you do the regular kind? You threw Devlos inta the force field thing with a space warp. Can you do more stuff like that?"

"I dunno. I mean, Jevek-."

"Yeah, guy's a prize ass." Guy takes another sip of his drink. "Tell y'what. I need a test dummy, you need training. What's say we meet up tomorrow an' sort something out?"

"Ah… Yeah, okay. Thanks."

And now my student. Who is carefully holding a glass that is almost comedically small in his hand.

"Xalitan? Have you had any ideas about what you'd like to study next?"

"I think I need work. Just to fight, against a simple foe. A fight where I do not need to think, so that I can think on what has already happened."

"John? You need a partner for clearing out the rest of the pirate bases?"

John looks Xalitan over for a moment, then nods. "Sure. You up for that?"

He thinks for a moment. "Yes. I think Paul intends for me to perform the duties of a police officer. But fighting pirates is more like being a soldier. It is not complicated. It is a useful transition exercise."

"Okay. Tomorrow good for you too?"

"No. I will go today. I want to see what will happen to those we have already captured. I will undertake no new strikes until you arrive."

"Fine with me. Could try asking your ring, though. There's a ton of info on there about things like this."

"No. Words are not enough. I need to see actions. To see how real things happen. Not how they should happen."

"I'll read up on your homeworld. See if I can spot parallels to things you might run into around here."

Guy looks around the table.

"Done?" Nods all-round. "Alright, no more work-talk. How 'bout them Stallions?"

Last edited: May 23, 2019
  26. Promenius

Promenius Not too sore, are you?

Not gonna lie, I was pretty disappointed that he didn't break out into a full musical number there.

♪ "I reached the top, and had to stop, and that's what's been bothering me." ♪

27. TheLunarwolf

TheLunarwolf Making the rounds.

AW for Lanterns.

dxdragon likes this.
  28. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Only one definite way to find out...

...appropriate storage shelf within the Temple of Hades.

"No. In the few minutes that I knew him I began to truly detest him.

Ah, Worship as a transaction. Like deciding on a feat choice in an MMO.

So, basically copying OL. Thank you, Bobbleheads.

There'd be very few beings who would want that job.

The 's' seems superflous.

"They think my energy absorption would have worn him down in the end.
    (Unsure if you prefer the original spelling.)

...Millennials...

Messed up tags here.

He has a hell of a point. Most times, you forget he was a trained counselor...

An American would just say 'ton', wouldn't he?

"No. Words are not enough.

Good move, since there are a lot of places where those things are not the same.

Heh, just a buncha guys having a beer after work. A nice breather to cap off the episode.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
  29. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

Bramble Thorn likes this.
  30. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

Italian Stallions? Or is this some type of sports team?

Obliviated fan likes this.