1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Jormuungaand

Jormuungaand Out of work World Serpent

to

2. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected,

Bramble Thorn and caspian1a like this.
  3. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

So he is at least remembering Eris this time.

Also, who is Xalitan? Xor?

4. Sockmonkey

Sockmonkey I trust you know where the happy button is?

I doubt it was the top-tier stuff. Just the junk DeSaad had laying around that he could spare for what would be considered a minor skirmish on a backwater dirtball.

5. BR549

BR549 This is filth! FILTH!!

His full name is Xalitan Xor.

6. The Chosen One

The Chosen One Getting out there.

That and they're off-duty for this scene, so everyone gets first names.

7. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

It really says something when Guy of all people is better at working with others then Paul.

nobodez, Cuchulin and Navi-Hank like this.
  8. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Probably.

Zoat said that the Forever People would have been hurt worse by Intergang if they had just shot them with their guns.

9. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

Welsh John is the guy with Fate’s helmet, right?

10. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

Yes, which reminds me; does anyone remember the Welsh police actually confirming this John’s identity in-story? I don’t think it came up even in Paragon’s internal narration.
    Also what’s the Justice League’s relationship with him like? He fought alongside them in the Silver City episodes and his power and knowledge (from the libraries in the Tower of Fate) make him a pretty valuable asset; he seems heroic enough to be offered a place on the League as well (I do expect the whole Golden Boy thing to rear its head when Constantine returns, but from the characters’ perspectives he’s a good candidate).
    How are Doctor Fate’s talks with Amander Waller going? We know Demon Constantine is free and probably up to something, and there should probably be more urgency about that- unless that’s something Fate is working on.
    Lastly I don’t really see how the more overtly criminal members of the Light- primarily Brain and Savage- can continue to hide from the scrying capabilities of Doctor Mist, Blaze and Doctor Fate likely working together. The Light lost Klarion and Ocean Master, Satanus should be tied up in legal proceedings and in any case his position in Hell should be neutralized by Paragon’s seemingly allied Mammon; I believe I’m aware of the current spoiler members of the Light and I don’t think they have it in them to continue anti-scrying well- remember that scry wards are very effective against Paragon but a magic user can break through relatively easily given enough power, as shown with Renegade and Ambrose Bierce. Circe does seem to be working with them more closely, which I forgot for a minute, but the good guys’ mystic firepower should be superior at this point, in my opinion. Maybe Paragon’s possible deity switch (Hecate could be intrigued by developing a whole new mystic tradition for Paul’s avarice-soul, though thinking about it she might make a good patron for Zatanna too) could help out with Circe- or Eris could follow Paragon’s example and actually do something productively chaotic (she helped with the Ace of Chaos but really nothing since then).
    I know Zoat said he has plans for Ares, so I look forward to an episode dealing with the Greek/classical mythological elements of the setting.

Drode, Cuchulin, Ardy and 1 other person like this.
  11. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

Probably the latter. DC has a number of fictional sports teams to go with their fictional cities.

Cuchulin likes this.
  12. Mastigos2

Mastigos2 Versed in the lewd.

The kind of funny part is that arguably this is one of the most chaotic things he's done, when you consider how significant the people involved are. He disrupted the plans of the Anti-Monitor and stirred up three different factions of Maltusians. Hell, he got the lord bobbleheads of stubborn hardheadedness to consider and actively research changing their standard procedure

13. Massgamer

Massgamer I trust you know where the happy button is?

Well he does have psych degree, even if he doesn't show it a lot.

14. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

Insuring, huh? What kind of policy is it -- do I get reimbursed if the enslaved lunatic gets hurt, or is it a liability policy that covers the costs if the enslaved lunatic hurts someone? Is there a deductible?

Missing the closing single quote, probably after "years".

Bramble Thorn, Mr Zoat and Ardy like this.
  15. NeoDarklight

NeoDarklight The Final Observer

Unless Paul did nothing for 24 hours, that should probably say 24th January.

Mr Zoat likes this.
  16. PDV

PDV Revelation That Uncertainty Is Itself An Answer

Coast City Stallions are their local sportsball team, IIRC

Cuchulin, RichardWhereat and Ardy like this.
  17. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

Bramble Thorn and Cuchulin like this.
  18. Siskulous

Siskulous Know what you're doing yet?

In DC cannon Greek and Norse gods are, as OL has put it, basically hopped up elementals, but the Abrahamic diety is an aspect of The Presence. He's kinda an obscure character, but he is as infinitely powerful as the holy texts of the relevant religions suggest. In other words, in the DC verse (uni or multi, take your pick), the Abrahamic God - who is also the God of most other monotheistic religions - is indeed FAR more powerful than the Greek and Norse gods.

Or, if that offends your sensibilities, just consider that any monotheistic god should have the entire combined power of an entire pantheon on polytheistic gods.

Now to be fair I think - emphasis on think because it's been a good long time since I've had the time or the care to actually keep up with the continuity - in current DC cannon The Presence has not been seen since the last reboot and if he is still around Doctor Manhattan could give him a run for his money.

Vorian, Cuchulin, Ardy and 2 others like this.
  19. Siskulous

It's worth remembering that Guy IS a trained - and by all accounts quite good - counselor. That would seem to suggest that he's VERY good at working with others when he wants or has a good reason to be.

20. Stsword

It's also worth remembering that people familiar with the comics remember Guy as the fellow who received permanent brain damage that left him in a multiyear coma and permanently altered his personality. You might remember the mention of Guy being hit by a bus earlier in this story, well here's a checklist of the possible symptoms of the brain damage Guy suffered in that incident-

frustration, increased anger/aggressiveness

impulsivity or difficulties in self-control

faulty or poor judgment

decreased ability to initiate conversation or activity

repetitive behaviors (perseveration)

less effective social skills

changes in sexual behaviors

impaired self awareness

depression

increased anxiety

mood swings (emotional lability)

changes in self-esteem

While Guy was given anger issues from an abusive childhood, the Guy before the accident was more Mr Rogers than Animal House.

21. Siskulous

True, but isn't it already established that this Guy isn't that version of the character? Like WAAAAY back?

Gantradies and Ardy like this.
  22. Stsword

Guy first became a Green Lantern seven years before Team Year Zero. Then came the coma. Guy then emerged from his coma in March of Team Year Zero.

A short coma doesn't make the answer to "How long was Guy a GL?" complicated.

In this story, that long coma came from being hit by a bus. "He got hit by a bus which caused him to get replaced by Lantern Stewart."

Traumatic brain injuries that cause long comas have the side effects I listed above, the fact that Paul wouldn't describe him as the "idiot Guy from the comics" doesn't miraculously make permanent brain damage go away.

Cuchulin likes this.
  23. Aeess

Aeess I trust you know where the happy button is?

It was already mentioned that Guy probably used his Ring to fix his brain damage when he was learning to protect himself from assimilation.

24. Maxx Crowley

Maxx Crowley I trust you know where the happy button is?

That's not actually my point. The power of the Warbot in the grand scheme of things is irrelevant to what I was talking about.

OL showed up, took out a hunk of mooks, and then took on the boss with a variety of Ring Techniques. Every single one of thing attacks actually DID something. His constructs actually DID damage.

In DC canon just putting on an Orange Ring drives you insane with greed. In DC canon there is only ever one Orange Lantern at a time, minus the people he devours, because the orange light does not lend itself to being shared.

In DC canon all manner of stupid shit is canon, much of which Zoat actively ignores.

Besides, I already KNOW what's behind the Source wall.

Jack The Mo'fucking King Kirby.

I have an open hatred of Abrahamic mythology for a number of personal reasons.

But to the point....it's fucking boring. I likewise see no point, or damage done, in having all the "Top" gods be on the same level. I find it highly agitating how, in fictional universes where ANYTHING can apply, other cultures, and their mythology which Abrahamic mythology clearly cribbed and stole form, get shit on. Solely because if we don't put it forth as the "One true" whatever, real life followers will FREAK THE FUCK OUT (and for some reason, we all must actively cater to the sniveling fucks) . I will point over to SV when OL swiped the Magic Fruit and a fucking MELTDOWN occurred with certain people. I will also point out that yahweh's HOLY FUCKING FUCK ULTIMATE POWER is more a pop culture thing than something shown in his actual collection of tales where honestly? He's shown to be at the same level as other Mythological gods were told to be. (Lack of current days imagination showing). I mean, in one tale, he fights alongside his army by doing what? Hurling ROCKS from the sky.

And for fucks sake, the English word "God" is derived from a proto-germanic word to DESCRIBE ODIN.

Last edited: May 22, 2019
  25. Stsword

Certainly one way to read that, and it even seems to be Zoat's intention, although there's the tiny fact that the dialogue doesn't make sense.

Guy specifically said “You said you heal yourself by focusing your need to be perfect. But I’m me right? I already know I’m perfect. So, I just gotta focus on being me, hard as I can? I can do that. I am.”

So Guy focused on staying the exact same as he presently is because he's perfect, and Paul's theory is that Guy willing himself to stay the exact same changed him....

You see the problem there, yes?

26. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

Assuming Guy's perception of himself is accurate, he willed himself to be what he perceives himself to be, not necessarily remain the same as he is.

27. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

He willed his body to match his soul? Wait, is THAT what enlightenment is? Becoming a being that can survive / reason as a disembodied soul? Perfectly knowing one’s self to the point that you can sustain your soul with the ring?

Last edited: May 23, 2019
    Gantradies, Vorian and caspian1a like this.
  28. Threadmarks: Encumbrance (part 19)
    Mr Zoat

Encumbrance

Day 63
    23:24 GMT +3

"Just to be completely clear."

I look at the…

"Hah."

The 'meddling kids', currently in the cell. Timothy 'Robin' Drake is bound hand and foot in solidly ring-welded metal manacles. No lock to pick or electronics to disrupt. Since I suspect that he's the ideas man of the group-. Ideas boy of the group, I've also given him a gag and a solid metal full helm.

Bartholomew 'Impulse' Allen is contained within a non-Newtonian gel I stole from the Trickster. The second one. The faster he tries to move, the more it resists, and it's designed to shift its molecular composition in response to any attempt to vibrate through it. He's got an air line, but… No, I can't think of any way for him to use that that doesn't just result in him suffocating.

LeTonya 'Cyborgirl' Charles is far simpler to contain. Physically removing parts of her motive systems leaves her paralysed more effectively than any number of chains or force fields. I've left them in a clearly labelled box upstairs so that they can be reinstalled without too much difficultly.

Kara 'Supergirl' In-Ze is being held within a cell lit with red sunlight. The material of the barrier is designed to block kryptonite radiation, and just outside that is most of the green kryptonite I have at my disposal. No risk to her if she stays put, quite a lot of discomfort if she tries to break out.

"This building does not have a self destruct. There are no explosives, gasses or traps of any kind. The absolute worst that will happen to you if you remain here is the mild embarrassment of Batman rescuing you in… Probably less than twelve hours. And if I don't see him moving in eight I'll phone him for you."

"Mrughtuh bluggermurghur."

"I'm sorry, Impulse, I couldn't understand that."

I frown. Misha should have gotten Nyssa a decent distance away by now, but I need to make sure that any superhuman pursuit is focused on me. And I've still got…

Three hours. Shit.

Oh, so I miss a day or two. As long as my corpse ends up somewhere she can find it-.

"We'll find you again." Ms Charles glares at me. "You won't get away with…" I raise my eyebrows slightly as she glances at her team mates, possibly expecting them to clue her in. "Ah…"

"I suggest 'your evil scheme'. It's sufficiently open-ended that it doesn't give me a clue as to what you might or might not know. Though… Since I know that you know that I'm trying to find Ra's al Ghul and kill him, perhaps you can afford to be a little more specific?"

"We know you were working with Luthor."

"I needed to acquire kryptonite from somewhere. We're not particularly close."

The League actually managed to arrest him not so long ago. He got away, but he got away extra-legally and so is cut off from-.

I frown. "Wait. Did you think I was sheltering him?"

"Uh, yeah."

"Goodness me, no. I don't think he knows where I live, I know he doesn't have my number and I'm.. reasonably confident that if he had either of the things I would want in exchange for my help he'd have offered me a deal well before this."

"Either thing? I thought you were pretty much the 'kill Ra's al Ghul' guy."

"My desire to kill Ra's al Ghul doesn't define me." I raise my right hand so that she can clearly see Master. "This does. And while I would quite cheerfully trade it to Lex if I could…" I smile. "No such luck."

Master's been surprisingly quiet throughout this whole encounter. I suppose that fighting such a diverse group gave it sufficient data that it doesn't feel the need to complain.

No further data may be derived from these subjects. The slave-animal will proceed to next objective.

Master, I have three hours left. That isn't enough time to pick a target, make an attack and make an escape.

An image appears in my mind, a wave of high pressure heading directly towards-.

Superman. Superman is coming right here. And that's a lot faster than he usually-.

"Excuse me."

I fly out of the cells, through the now-drained Lazarus Pit chamber and out into the night air. This Superman isn't Flash-fast, but he can motor when the need arises. What does he likely know? That Kara and the other children came here after me and aren't reporting in. I think I can manage a conversation with him before he starts swinging his fists, but… I strengthen my environmental shield.

The slave-animal will plot an attack strategy.

Master, he hasn’t changed since last time. And other members of the League are almost certainly heading this way.

The slave-animal will plot an attack strategy. If it does not, first stage punishment will begin.

Fine… I don’t know, kryptonite? I've still got some, and I doubt that he's become immune to it.

My vision blurs as Master magnifies-. He's flying here in a lead-lined suit. Pretty sure that a power ring can melt through that, and Master is still topped up from my fight with that gas cloud Green Lantern yesterday.

Hm. He should be able to see me now. I fly higher, and-. Yes, he's pulling up as-.

"Where's Kara, Anti-Green Lantern?"

He's glaring, arms folded across his chest in a gesture that… Just isn't as effective when he's wearing that suit.

"Below. In a-" I generate a construct image. "-containment cell, largely unhurt." He looks down, eyes narrowing as he uses x-ray vision to scan the area. A moment passes, then he gets the right building and his face relaxes slightly. "Could I prevail upon you to prioritise her rescue? I don’t actually want to-."

The slave-animal forgets its place.

Owowowfuckingow!

[​IMG]

"Are you okay?"

What? I look up from my doubled-over position at his-. He.. looks genuinely concerned.

"No. I haven't been alright since I got here. I die every day, I'm encouraged to pick fights with people who really don't deserve it and Master tortures me whenever I start to disobey, and I don't really see any way to end it. Including death."

"The person who's making Lazarus Pits for you. They're the one who wants Ra's dead."

"A r-." Ugh. "A reasonable deduction. Say 'hi' to Batman for me."

"Look, there are people who can help you."

"No. There aren't."

"I know some people at STAR Labs. Why don't you swing by tomorrow and let them take a look at your ring? See if they can come up with something."

"I-." I frown. "I'm-."

Master? Is that allowed?

Yes. The inevitable failures of the pathetic animals may still provide data relating to this world's technological development.

"Thank you. I would appreciate that."

"What else are you planning?"

"I've got to rebuild a base of operations and make sure you people don't find it again. But I've.. been thinking… Wherever you've stashed Ra's, I'm not going to find him quickly. Perhaps Master might complain less if I fought a wider variety of this world's criminal element."

"If you're planning on killing them-."

"No. No. Not unless I have to. Ra's is a… Commission. I don't-. I hadn't been in an actual fight for decades before I got this-." I wave my right hand at him and sigh quietly. "This isn't what I wanted to do with my life. Can I.. go?"

"Sure." He nods and I begin accelerating away. "I'll see you tomorrow."

Last edited: May 23, 2019
  29. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

Not sure who Misha is, but nice to see another Paul back, even if it’s the most tragic one. He seems to have been operating for a while so couldn’t Stewart or Rayner secure Guardian assistance to neutralize the Anti-Green ring?
    I’m aware that this isn’t exactly DCAU but it’s similar enough, so can I ask where in that setting’s timeline this is taking place?

30. Old Knife

Old Knife Not too sore, are you?

............. Man. This Zoat got the short end of the stick. Wonder if his Krona ring can fight Time Trapper paul though.