1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. l---erddad---l

l---erddad---l Wait, google can see this?

IIRC, the definition we usually have for 'love' is a combination of Compassion and Love in such a way that both emotions can mean whatever you need it to mean according to the needs of the plot.

:D

2. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

In War of Light, the Sinestro Corps member who is a freaky alien crab thing that kills people and imprisons their children on her back was in a Star Sapphire crystal being converted into a Star Sapphire, because of her love for "her children," but the process was stopped before completion.

So the focus on romantic love seems to just be an affectation of the Zamarons.

3. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

A pair of vampire brothers used guns and played being cowboys, Buffy still killed them. And yes this was in the first four seasons.

Thing is, unless you hit the heart or the eyes, an injured Slayer will still have enough time left to kill you.

Want to kill a Slayer? Emotionally manipulate them like Spike did.

Cuchulin likes this.
  4. Ardy

Ardy I trust you know where the happy button is?

Guys, it's 23 minutes after midnight Central Standard Time and Zoat hasn't posted. Did DC finally get him? Is he tied to his bed with a Joker superfan explaining in detail why Jack Nicholson is the greatest actor of all time because he nearly pulled off teh greetest villain evah1?

Does he have a panic button?

5. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

It's early morning in the UK. He tends to sleep in on weekends. Be patient.

Drode, Oglymogly and infinityDivided like this.
  6. Bramble Thorn

Bramble Thorn Verified Silhouette

Well, the 'user' of an antithesis ring was expected to die in 24 hours from the imposition of that 'max willpower' thing, and would presumably never build up that resistance, on account of being dead and all.

This is a case of Earth Bullshit having consequences unforeseen by its Qwardian Maker.

I cannot remember. How was her situation resolved in the Renegade timeline?

infinityDivided, Cuchulin and Vorian like this.
  7. Sockmonkey

Sockmonkey I trust you know where the happy button is?

Or hang back out of vampire sensing range and shoot them in the head with a rifle.
    Or use those illegal fragmenting/expanding rounds that turn the target's innards into a bag of soup.

Cuchulin likes this.
  8. Chojin Patriarch

I may be misremembering, but her school was a SHADE front for acquiring metahumans? Grayven threw a whole pile of money at the school, broke it away, and ensured she would not get marginalised and ostracised into supervilliany?
    At any rate she's better adjusted, in a better position and most importantly not a supervillian.

Cuchulin likes this.
  9. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

She's the pyrokinetic lady that went to Ace's school, Claire.

The one who freaked out both Fatherbox and Ring Sinestro, so either pyrokinesis is really rare, or something else is going on there.

10. Threadmarks: Angelic (part 1)
    Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Angelic

28th January
    07:28 GMT -5

I knock on the door again. "Kara?"

"Yeah, I'm-. Just a sec-!"

I stand back a little and take a look around the hall outside Kara's apartment. I don't.. really know Metropolis boroughs or property prices, but it looks… Nice enough? Hard-wearing patterned carpet which looks like it gets vacuumed regularly, a few photographs of local places of interest on the walls and essentially for Kara, no tolerance for random people turning up to bother Superman's cousin.

The door swings open, and Kara steps back to allow me inside. She's wearing a white blouse and blue jeans, and… Her emotional balance looks a little healthier?

I close the door behind me. "Not planning on wearing Kryptonian clothing?"

She looks away a little awkwardly, shaking her head. "No. I.. thought about it, but then I realised that Match isn't-. He's kryptonian but he's not from Krypton." She looks back at me as I close the door behind me. "He isn't ever going to live on Krypton, or interact with any kryptonians other than Kal and I. I might as well just… Dress Earth."

"Did.. Kal-El talk to you about Daxam? Because my offer is still open, and it's not limited to him."

"They've got their own culture, and they weren't exactly…" She sighs and looks away again. "If a part of your culture you had absolutely no respect for was all that was left, would you bother going to see it?"

"My home country is Themyscira, and-."

"I mean England."

Hmm. "I want to come back with the 'if wrong, to be set right', but honestly?" I nod. "If the disconnect was that strong, I don't know. I was never that big-"

She walks towards the kitchen area. "Can I get you something?"

"-on. Oh, ah, no, thank you. I was never that big on Morris dancing anyway."

She picks up a half-empty coffee mug and turns around. "Morris dancing?"

"Country dancing with bells, sticks, handkerchiefs and a pole with ribbons on it. And accordion music. If that was all that survived I don't think I'd make a point of stopping by."

She nods. "Did you know that Kal didn't actually know when his birthday was until I told him?"

I frown. "No. What, didn't Jor-El put that information on his recordings?"

She shakes her head, then takes a sip of her coffee. "Neural clones aren't simple to create, and they really aren't people. Uncle Jor started work on it before Kal was born. He's been celebrating his birthday on the day he arrived on Earth ever since he arrived here."

I smile. "Is he going to change it, or is Superman going to get an 'official' birthday?"

"I don't.. think he really cared. I suppose it's not-." She shrugs as she tips her mug back and downs the coffee. "Not a big deal for him. His life.. here.. started when his foster parents picked him up."

I nods as she takes her mug to the sink and puts it in the basin.

"Ready to go?" She nods, walking back towards me. "Do I.. need to worry about crowding Match?"

"No. I remember from history class that clone soldiers were pretty much fully.. ready for the world the moment they were let out of their pods. And Uncle Jor will make sure the programming includes us."

"Assuming that the programming works." I raise my right hand and generate a zeta tube. "After you."

28th January
    07:30 GMT -5

"Recognised, Kara Zor-El, A four five, Orange Lantern, B zero six."

Kon and M'gann look around as we materialise. Kon smiles and M'gann waves happily to Kara with her right hand while Kon holds her left. Kara raises her right hand to return the greeting. Kal-El-.

"Where's Kal-El?"

Kon glances down the corridor. "He's in medical already. Probably.. checking things over." He shrugs nonchalantly, then starts strolling down the corridor in that direction. "Or something."

Kara frowns as we follow him. "I don't think Kal actually-."

The door opens in front of Kon and he gasps. "Superman? What happened?"

Kara darts forward at more-than-human speed, nudging M'gann and Kon aside to get inside. I'm a little worried myself; treating a kryptonian with significant injuries isn't exactly a simple endeavour, and I'm sure that Mr White will expect him in the office on Monday.

"It's-. Kara, calm down." I enter the room and see a shirtless Kal-El sitting on one of the unoccupied biers. Bruises are appearing all over his torso, and I can see what are clearly heat vision burn slashes across his chest and.. face. And I think that's going to be a black eye. "It's just a few bruises. I've had worse before."

Kon looks over the injuries while Kara cautiously hugs her cousin. "General Zod?"

"No, not this time." His eyes meet mine and what have you done? "When you said she didn't want to talk to me, you sure weren't kidding."

"Sir… What happened?"

"Huh?" Kon looks at me. Oh.. marvellous.

"I located a certain individual on Earth. They expressed a desire not to be contacted further. It appears that Kal-El managed to locate them."

"I didn't appreciate-" He rolls his right shoulder and winces. "-exactly how strongly she felt about it."

"Sir, she was in the navy. You're lucky you're not dead."

"Wait, there's-" Kara looks from Kal-El to me. "-another kryptonian?" I nod awkwardly. "What's her name?"

"Karsta Wor-Ul." My eyes meet Kal-El's. "Did the two of you reach an accord at some point, or is she leaving?"

"She didn't-" He picks up a new pullover and pulls it over his head, hiding most of his injuries. "-say." He looks around at each of us. "But don't worry. I'll get better in no time." He floats off the bier and onto the floor. "And.. I'm.. disappointed about it, but I got the message. I won't bother her again." He walks over to Match's bier and looks down at his sleeping face. The lights I remember from when I first saw him like this are far fewer in number now, no longer scanning or altering him but just keeping him unconscious. "How about we wake him up now?"

Kon nods, then looks vaguely upwards. "Jor-El? How is he?"

"Match is now a flawless clone of my son. Physically, he is as Kal-El was during his fifteenth year. As best as I can determine his mind is healthy. His sleeping patterns match what my records say was normal for cloned kryptonians at this point in their development, and I have cross-referenced them with the records held by Har-Zod and with Cadmus. If there are any ongoing problems they cannot be identified by data currently at my disposal."

Ah. I glance at Kal-El, who makes momentary eye contact with me and gives me a small nod. That would explain it.

Kon nods. "Okay. Let him out and wake him up."

"Of course. Don't be surprised-" The lights go off and the crystal begins being retracted from around Match's body. "-if he doesn't recognise you immediately. It may take several seconds for him to become fully cognisant of his surroundings."

"Yeah, sure."

There's a quiet grunt from Match as the last of the crystals fall away and he transitions to what I assume is natural sleep.

"Match?"

Match's eyes flicker, then open.

Last edited: May 26, 2019
  11. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Mister Zoat, you have become entirely too found of cliffhangers.

12. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Sure hope Paragon!Karsta calms down later and becomes neutral and not antagonistic for whatever reason.

Cuchulin and Nioz like this.
  13. Zig

Zig Not too sore, are you?

Honestly a bit disappointed we're back to the SI. I was starting to really enjoy AL.

14. Mr Zoat

I'm afraid that when a story has a main character, they tend to feature in it quite a lot.

There's another return to a Fool's Canon variant at the end of this episode, if that makes you feel any better.

15. Chojin Patriarch

Hmm... Going to be interesting to see what this refers to...

Makes sense. Krypton is dead. Let it and its culture rest.

Daxamites are basically xenophobic kryptonian not-quite-Amish. I can see why she's not interested.

And how well would it translate into Earth calenders anyway?

He's been celebrating his birthday on the day he arrived on Earth ever since he arrived here."

Aw, he brought his girlfriend to meet the 'family'...

Sounds painful, but harmless for kryptonian healing. Catch a few rays before Monday morning, he'll be fine.

<Facepalm> Kal... If a lady asks for privacy, you respect it...

In other word: "Don't call me, I'll call you. Or not."

He walks over to Match's bier and looks down at his sleeping face.

So, fingers crossed for luck...

I would at least have kept the restraints ready, but they do have OL there.

...and Panicked heat vision in 3, 2...

But seriously, it's good to see this plot point finally being resolved. Let's hope he's as cool as the Renegade's version...

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
  16. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

But what if it was the Dark Morris?

17. Bramble Thorn

Bramble Thorn Verified Silhouette

Wasn't that Volcana, the Volcano Girl?

I thought he was talking to Livewire right then, and that is what you were talking about, a YJ version of Livewire that interacted with the Renegade.

"-of a demon worshipping cultist."

Wow, I was way off! Also, OL still hasn't realized just how much he fucked up in this matter yet by letting the matter get investigated by Gotham's own 'Court of Owls, what Court of Owls?' Batman.

RagnarokAscendant and JeckJack like this.
  18. w34v3r

w34v3r Versed in the lewd.

I suspect that OL is going to get punched by Karsta, minimum.

19. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

20. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

The problem is that you left that sidestory in a cliffhanger, since ya know as pathetic Kalibak was in that cartoon we do know he probably might have anti GL measures due to the comics.

And now that you back to the main story you start with a cliff hanger.

w34v3r, Norgarth, Cuchulin and 6 others like this.
  21. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

Entirely reasonable. No one actually likes Morris dancing.

22. Buggy123

Buggy123 I trust you know where the happy button is?

Whenever I see a tradition that I think seems kinda silly, I just remember that the country of tea-drinking, tophat-and-tailored-suit wearing gentlemen... have morris dancing.

Whatever a book's cover may be, you're definitely gonna find a weird chapter or two inside of it.

Prince Charon, Cuchulin, Ardy and 5 others like this.
  23. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

I’m not sure what this is referring to.

Discussing Karsta Wor-Ul reminds me, how did they find the Kryptonian ship under Texas in Renegade timeline? Because if it was conventional scans, Paragon should really be doing a few global scans considering how much alien detritus and technology ends up on Earth.

24. Queshire

Queshire Not too sore, are you?

OL's empathy vision should let him know right away if something went wrong. It's why he's there.

Ardy and DrThoth like this.
  25. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

Grayven was raiding one of the pirate's belongings after the vega negotiations blew up and found a reference to a warship that was sent to earth.

Edit: also it's referring to a conversation when OL was grading the league (when the Vikings woke up) when Superman figured out that OL knew of Kryptonians on earth

26. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

Thanks for the information; I suppose Paragon has no particular reason to ask Amalak for that information, and the latter might be suspicious as to why he’d want it and possibly refuse.

I remember how Superman found out about Karsta from Paragon in that episode, but the placement of the sentence I quoted makes me think he specifically sought her out to see if she had any additional information that could help Match, given the Jor-El AI’s statement just before.

27. SirKaid

SirKaid Know what you're doing yet?

It's not really a cliffhanger. Since the AGL bits aren't being continued in a particularly direct way, all that's important is what they show us about his character. It doesn't matter how exactly the fight concludes because it's already shown us how AGL Paul thinks and fights. The rest is just spectacle.

28. Navi-Hank

Navi-Hank An engine fuled by spite

But we want spectacle.

29. timeForced

timeForced Getting some practice in, huh?

I see what you did there Mr. Zoat. A very sneaky reference indeed!

30. Mr Zoat

A can write another section, if people really want. Kalibak goes down, Superman reappears and is pleased that AGL stepped up. If there's a demand for it then it's no problem for me to do it.
    It was? Because I think it was so sneaky that it passed me by.