1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Queshire

Queshire Not too sore, are you?

Honestly, seeing Kalibak going down doesn't matter in my opinion. What, another bad guy goes down? That doesn't advance the story by itself. Seeing Superman show up afterwards would provide closure to the story instead of leaving it hanging though.

Eh.... That's not an endorsement for one over the other though. I don't have any strong opinions.

Ardy and Cuchulin like this.
  2. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

My guess is they took it as referring to the Mandated timeline which I believe mentioned Morris dancing, but I could be wrong.

Regarding the AGL, why did you set him in the DCAU pilot version instead of the regular DCAU setting? Not that I can see any major deviations besides Cyborgirl just existing (apologies if this was asked before when Fool’s Canon was still ongoing).
    Will he still join the League as a conditional member now that Superman’s back? I don’t see any real reason why he wouldn’t just because he’s no longer a replacement.

zerofarad likes this.
  3. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Because another version of the SI exists in the actual DCAU.
    John Stewart's hair is slightly different, and the sidekicks actually feature in episodes.
    In the DCAU, other superheroes didn't join the League until the expansion in Unlimited. AGL joining officially would be difficult due to all of the murders he committed.

4. timeForced

timeForced Getting some practice in, huh?

IIRC, the Paul in Chinaverse didn't visit England because he didnt feel a connection to the Morris dancing nation.

5. Aeess

Aeess I trust you know where the happy button is?

Just have him wear a domino mask and pretend he is a new Superhero, literally nobody will think that they are the same person.

6. Maxx Crowley

Maxx Crowley I trust you know where the happy button is?

It's not completely shelved, but I don't have the same kind of writing time I used to have. Plus....well I was really trying to come up with something Zoat would like enough to include into "canon" and...well I don't think it's up to par. Plus he's going somewhere different then I guessed.

That's how you know it's extra sneaky.

infinityDivided likes this.
  7. Norgarth

Norgarth Making the rounds.

Would that be the Bat-Bat? :p

8. DrThoth

The obvious follow-up question is what’s the deal with the DCAU SI- who should technically exist in the same continuity as the Justice Lords, just in a parallel universe. You’d think he’d be relatively easier to get to with their reality-traveling device. Guess he wasn’t ruthless enough for them since I believe that was one of their criteria.
    I’m assuming the DCAU SI doesn’t have an Anti-Green ring since that’s too similar to AGL, and unlike Paragon/Renegade I can’t see them really diverging enough to be interesting considering how similar their situations would be. The only Glow-tech we haven’t seen directly used by any SI (discounting white and black) is violet, which could be fun.

9. Aeess

There is also the possibility that he just has a regular Green Lantern Ring, also Zoat mentioned that the Black Lantern SI ends up in Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

10. Mr Zoat

Justice Lords is Earth 50, where the Renegade briefly visited. If there was a version of the SI there then the Renegade didn't see them. It's also possible that the Lords killed or lobotomised him.

Earth 12 SI hasn't ever met the Justice Lords. He's actually one of the few who live in England.
    SI 12 has an orange power ring and no way to charge it.

KenNM, Bramble Thorn, Drode and 6 others like this.
  11. Aeess

Isn't England full of Demons to charge his Ring with?

Cuchulin likes this.
  12. Mr Zoat

Neither England 12 nor England 50 are full of demons. Apart from the five minutes where Morgana le Fay turned it medieval.

13. Ct613hulu

Ct613hulu Experienced.

So what is SI 12 doing with his life? Did he simply use his remaining charge to set himself up for life and then live as a normal human or has he found an alternative means of operating as a Superhuman?

Ardy, Prince Charon and Cuchulin like this.
  14. Uxas

Uxas Making the rounds.

Anyone know where I can find the rest of the Difficulty sidestory?

15. Maxx Crowley

Maxx Crowley I trust you know where the happy button is?

In the place where it rests in its primordial form.

Within Zoat's head.

16. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

Maybe? Even if he memoriced the cartoon and the comics there are not that many safe ways for him to get super powers. The Captain Nazi formula would make him look like a monster, there is no cosmic Rod, he has no talent for magic...

Maybe he could try that speed formula were you just say it and win powers but it might not work there.

Prince Charon likes this.
  17. Ganurath

Ganurath Apologizes For Nothing

Fool's Canon, starting here.

Drode likes this.
  18. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

In some versions of the DCU, they have morris dancing assassins.

19. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

Constantine mentioned them to OL in this fic I think. One of the Paul’s has definitely heard of them.

DrThoth likes this.
  20. Threadmarks: Angelic (part 2)
    Mr Zoat

28th January
    07:33 GMT -5

Kon gives him a nervous smile as Match's eyes start to focus, and I notice that his sclera are now white rather than black. I'm a.. little nervous, given what happened last time we had Match in this position.

"Hey… Kon-El." Match blinks in surprise at the sound of his own voice. "I.. know who you are."

"Yeah. We thought it would be a good idea-."

"I attacked you." Match's eyes move away and he frowns. "I think… And-" His eyes focus on me. "-you, you were there."

"Ah… You remember that?"

"Yeah. I don't.. remember why. Oh."

"What?"

"Cadmus messed up with making… Me. So my brain chemistry didn't work right and I was angry all the time. And I.. know that, but I don't…" He looks around at the room rather than the people in it. "This is Superman's Fortress of Solitude. No one.. told me that. So how do I know it?"

Kal-El takes a step forward. "While we were fixing your genetic damage, we thought it would be a good idea to make sure you would know what was going on when you were well."

"Oh." His frown deepens. "Huh."

"You remember anything else?"

Match's jaw tightens. "I remember the tank."

Kon nods, grimacing. "Yeah, you and me both. Anything other than the tank?"

Match's face stills, then he shakes his head. "No. Am I.. supposed to?"

Kon shrugs. "The genomorphs programmed me with a bunch of things. I thought maybe they did the same with you."

Match frowns again, eyes narrowing as he concentrates. "I think… Pictures and… Voices? But it's all… Really unclear. Like a buzzing or.. something."

I nod. "Given your state of mind, it isn't surprising that the programming didn't take."

"What were they programming me to do?"

"Probably the same thing they programmed me for. To be a Superman they could control."

Match blinks again, then focuses his gaze on Superman. "Superman's taller than me."

"For now, but-." Kon cuts himself off. "Jor-El? Match is gunna keep growing, right?"

"Match will continue to grow normally, and will probably grow to be approximately the same height as Kal-El."

"So I was supposed to.. grow into it?"

Kon frowns slightly. "Does it bother you?"

"No, I'm… Just trying to make sense of… Stuff." He looks around our little group again. "Can I get up?"

Kon blinks in surprise. "Ah, yeah, sure." He holds out his right hand and Match cautiously takes it, allowing himself to be pulled into.. a…

Oh… dear. Alright, he's basically a few hours old. I wasn't expecting a great depth of emotional depth. But there's… Nothing. Not even the 'be like Superman' drive Kon had. The knowledge Jor-El programmed him with is… Probably there, but I can't see it because it isn't connected to anything. It's not even at the level of hearing a news broadcast about people you've never met; that sort of thing triggers a weak empathic reaction.

Okay, none of that is a total surprise. Krypton used this system for programming soldiers, not for creating complex, well-balanced individuals. And even for telepathic intervention, creating attachments usually requires there to be attachments first. But as a wise robot in Isaac Asimov's stories once said, people often disproportionately value ideas merely because they were the ones who came up with them. He will come to value things eventually, there isn't a-. No, there is a simple, orange light based fix, but I'm not going to do it unless it turns out that he can't learn to value things.

Kon half-turns towards us. "Do you know who everyone is?"

Match nods. "You're Kon-El, Superboy, but… Brother? We were both made by Cadmus, but you're… Half Lex Luthor?"

"That's right."

Match turns to Kal-El. "Superman. Superhero. Based in Metropolis."

Kal-El nods encouragingly. "That's the Cliff's Notes version, anyway."

"I'm a.. clone of you. Is that… Important?"

Kal-El shakes his head. "It's only as important as we choose to make it. I didn't.. react well to finding out about Kon-El, but I've had a lot of time to think things through since then."

"So it is important?"

"Ah…" Huh. It's actually not making him uncomfortable, he just isn't sure how to answer it well. "Having a child and raising them properly is a big responsibility. And it wasn't one I was prepared to have dropped on me like that, particularly… If I hadn't been there from the start."

"I'm not your son. If anything, I'd be your brother. We're genetically identical."

"… True, but if I had a younger brother your age I'd-." He pauses, probably rethinking what he'd been planning to say. "I'd want to be involved in his life as well."

Match… Sort of nods, as if he isn't sure what to make of the statement. Which he isn't, as what programming Jor-El gave him only explained familial ties in the abstract. His eyes move over to me.

"Paul, the Orange Lantern. Superhero."

"An Orange Lantern, these days. Nice to see you up and about."

He nods, not sure what to make of me. Or… Anything else.

"M'gann M'orzz. Miss Martian. Superhero."

M'gann smiles broadly. "Hi. How are you feeling?"

"Disconnected. Like… I know who you all are but not what that means. Or-. No, it means that I know you from my programming and not from interacting with you, but I don't know… What the difference would feel like."

"Do you want me to show you?"

"Ah… Yes?" He blinks. "Oh, not-. Not with telepathy, not right away. I think I should… Learn how to do that for myself."

M'gann nods and Match turns his attention to Kara.

"Kara Zor-El. Kryptonian. I don't think you're a superhero."

"That's because I'm not."

"Um." He looks around the group again. "I think… Most of the people I know about are. So… How come you're not?"

Kara looks away for a moment. "Because I've only been on Earth for a few months. The whole idea of someone… Being so much more powerful than everyone around them, and using their powers like that… Isn't really something I've gotten used to yet."

"Oh." He considers her answer for a moment, then files it away. "And you're my… Cousin? Aunt?"

"Something like that. Clones don't quite fit normal family relationship models."

"No." Match nods. "I see that. So… What happens now?"

Kon smiles warmly. "Since we actually had time to plan for this, we've got a few different options for you, about where you could live, and go to school… Things like that."

Match nods in a slightly disinterested way. "Okay. So what are they?"

Last edited: May 27, 2019
  21. DrThoth

Actually I believe what Stargirl uses is a cosmic rod; there’s also a Starman in the JLU but I believe he was the alien Prince Gavyn version.

I didn’t actually expect there to be an Earth-50 SI since I sort of assumed an Earth-12 SI would ‘count’ for both universes since they were in the same setting and also more akin to divergent timelines than properly parallel universes like the Crime Syndicate one.

Impartial Panic, Relyt33 and Cuchulin like this.
  22. King of Frost

King of Frost Wishing I was somewhere colder no doubt.

Now if this were an official DC comic Match being "born" without the ability to feel emotions would probably lead him to becoming a villain after giving being a hero a try.

I'm going to guess that in Young Justice Match was Kon's rival?

duncke, Vorian, Finerc and 5 others like this.
  23. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Ho boy. So Match, right now, is basically a sociopath? No way that could go wrong.

It seems like a pretty big oversight that a system to create soldiers would not also create motivation in them.

24. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

There was a comic Match. He was an arrogant putz who gradually fell to Bizarrodom. He was named Kent Conner.

In YJ Match was just a berserker who they stuffed back in a tube, and showed up in the tie in comics looking like this- [​IMG]

25. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Well, no laser-eye panic mode. That's a good sign... Right? It strikes me that he was likely depowered for the duration of the repairs, wasn't he?

Like trying to run an X-Box game on a PS3. The code and even the hardware might be similar but there're fundamental differences.

Boy, he sounds medicated out of his gourd.

...allowing himself to be pulled into.. a…

And now the driving force of the episode becomes clear...

And using only Orange Light on a functionally empty individual can't be healthy anyway.

I hope Match was encoded with cultural terms and slang. Otherwise that would be confusing.

'Didn't react well'... That's one way to put it...

See, that's the angle people should have been pushing Supes for about Superboy!

Especially if you're plunged into the role of guardian.

Give it time, kiddo. Give it time...

Hoo boy. Like Handlewithcare said, he's shaping up as a sociopath. Entirely detached from human.. everything...

I think I can guess what the title means now... He's a clone, so his soul... Isn't, yet... We can but hope he starts to connect to the Spectrum soon enough.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
  26. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    Sort of. If he was actually 16 years old and was still acting like this, that would be a reasonable description. He's actually only had a few hours of actually living, and a good chunk of that involved him having a serious neurological condition. Would you call a baby a sociopath because it only cared about its own interests?

27. Sonder

Sonder Apostle of FLUFFY TAIL

He showed up once, in the same episode Luthor confirmed Kon's full "parentage."

Beat the snot out of Kon, and used heat vision and a mirror to burn the S symbol into his chest. It came out backwards, because mirror. Match is Earth-16's Bizzaro.

28. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Really hope this isn't a chekov's gun of a branded Match. That would be depressing. On the other hand, now I'm imagining the OLC with two Kryptonians.

29. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

I think he becomes a priest under the name: Kirei 'Match' Kotomine.

erebus1994 and DrThoth like this.
  30. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

A baby doesn't have all the stuff that Match currently has, like basic knowledge, developed motor-coordination and language.

A baby is barely a person, Match is like a person with pieces missing.

Not his fault, of course, but still concerning.