1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Raquel frowns at me as the police move one of their suspects into an interview room.

Nothing like trouble with the police to snap someone out of their preconceptions.

Presumably, the cops told her so as well.

In other words, combat engineers, not special ops.

A? Hal Jordan was Air force, if I remember right. C, John Stewart, is the Marine.

It's a trap!

Cue Jackie Chan version of the song. ;)

Yeah, not cops, sweetheart. Superheroes. Really hitting home how deep you're in it, yet?

I see it is. Good for you.

Heh. This could be like Al Capone getting sent away for Tax Evasion.

Hmm, this spelling seem off. Could be wrong.

No, honey, that's chemistry. Not a legal kind, but...

I know, right? :p

Oh, dear, in deep, eh?

Ah, one of those hangouts...

Seriously, if the demon guy ends up going to jail based on immigration charges, I will laugh my ass off... I fully expect things to go ploin-shaped though.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
  2. Ace Dreamer

Ace Dreamer Questioning The Nature of our Realities

should that be "one of"?

is there a missing "Lantern" there?

---

Nicely done chapter, with YJ team politics and the interesting intersection of demons and (legal) society.

3. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.
    Hal and Guy got promoted, so are no longer Sector Lanterns.

4. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

In the comics anyway, Linda was of age, it wasn't Buffy esque with high school girl by day and fiery angel by night.

Whether she's of age in this story, well that remains to be seen.

5. ForeverShogo

ForeverShogo Not too sore, are you?

Well, if it's like the comics backstory, Buzz also convinced Linda to go along with things like torture and murder.

I guess how things will play out will depend on if Matrix is a thing.

Prince Charon likes this.
  6. Belenus

Belenus Versed in the lewd.

Virginia had practically no Puritan influence, they settled almost exclusively in New England. The Anglicans were perfectly capable of anti-witchcraft laws on their own. Remember, the Virginia Colony was founded during the reign of James I, author of Daemonologie.

7. Mr Zoat

The SI hasn't studied US history in any detail.

8. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Given Paul's history with Women so far... I rather doubt that. :p

Simonbob, Ardy, DAT_NOOB and 4 others like this.
  9. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

If Linda Danvers ends up getting fused with Matrix, how will people feel about her taking up the mantle of Supergirl. If Kara later decides to become a superhero, will there be two Supergirls, or will one of them have to take up a different name? Mr Zoat, in this story, are there angels other than the kind that live in the Silver City?

This is from the Story Only post. The first Renegade part of Respite. It should be: But there's a new ascendant power in Vega and they don't like you very much.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
  10. Oglymogly

Oglymogly I trust you know where the happy button is?

Huh, I did not know about Linda before today. I'm very interested in where Mr Zoat will go with this episode, considering OL's past and recent events.

11. Mr Zoat

The SI has not encountered any other kind.
    Thank you, corrected.

12. Eponymic

Eponymic Getting sticky.

Did she burn through her NAZI killing money already, or am misremembering?

13. Mr Zoat

Poop.

Um. Bear with me.

14. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Maybe instead of money, she can't afford the time to go to officer training school. Any idea what kind of career Rocket is interested in besides crime fighting?

15. Khettien

Khettien Perpetually confused

Somberly would be the modern version; sombrely is an archaic alternate spelling, I think. (And apparently rejected by the autocorrect, but whatever.)

16. Dur'id the Druid

Dur'id the Druid Know what you're doing yet?

Buzz? Linda Danvers? Are we going to get earth-born angels in the story now? Mind you I think matrix-supergirl was one of the best story arcs, until they got absorbed into the greater DC universe anyway, and ret-conned into irrelevancy. And making fun of it's own use of Deus-ex machina. :)

17. Jiro

Jiro Getting sticky.

18. Massgamer

Massgamer I trust you know where the happy button is?

Rocket seems eager to take on my leadership role, maybe Paul should talk to Icon about that and throw idea of training with Corps like mentioned.

19. Maxx Crowley

Maxx Crowley I trust you know where the happy button is?

Rocket seems to get pissed, and climb up on that high horse, whenever she feels she is being excluded/not given something others have.

Beyond that....why would she be given a leadership role? I mean, who the fuck is Rocket? A girl with a force field belt.

You don't get to be a leader by bitching about not being a leader.

Chaoswind, Ardy, Siskulous and 5 others like this.
  20. Siskulous

Siskulous Know what you're doing yet?

If you actally look at what Vaermina posted you'll see it's not a training manual but a marketing pamphlet. "Training" for bulletproof vests consists of "this is how you put it on, this is how you maintain it". And they're nearly as effective for saving lives without training as with it. In the case of spell eaters how you put it on is very obvious and since they're only borrowing them maintaining them is a non-issue. So no, spell eaters don't require training.

To modern sensibilities they might as well have been Puritans though.

21. Mr Zoat

Raquel is a 'minority aware' young woman. I'm not trying to make her completely unreasonable, but she is going to confrontationally make sure that everyone is getting fair treatment.
    While her relatively low powered status affects her utility in the field, leadership is the area where that it has least impact. Batman could probably coordinate the League better from the Watchtower than the field.
    Kaldur became leader by being elected by the original team members. The team has expended considerably since then, but there hasn't been a new election or any suggestion that there will be one. The SI's appointment to 2IC and Robin's elevation in his absence wasn't the subject of a vote, or any stated criteria.

22. ForeverShogo

ForeverShogo Not too sore, are you?

She's definitely someone that would probably be a chore to work with.

Simonbob and Prince Charon like this.
  23. Maxx Crowley

As someone who was a "minority aware" young man, I've known people who behave like Rocket. They can be extremely irritating and, in fact, damaging to the very cause they champion because after a while, even their allies get sick and tired of their soapbox routine. Be confrontational with your foes, not your allies/friends.

Seriously, listening to the same gay rights speech from a guy who hasn't shut up for HOURS when you're both at home, you agreed already, and can't do anything about it....just a recipe for strangulation really.

Honestly? I'm going to give you props for your true to life portrayal.

Admittedly, my comment was more an out of universe critique on how she's basically a nobody and nobody's rarely become team leaders.

I do recall that neither Kaldur or OL bitched their way into their position, while Robin sort of bitched his way out of it. He was rather obnoxious about doing whatever he wanted in the beginning as I recall. "Where is Robin" was kind of thing.

24. Mr Zoat

That was over a year and a half ago in universe. He hasn't done anything like that recently.

25. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Well first of all this of course assumes that Kara is going to decide to become a superheroine, which she might not. Reminds me of an elseworld in which Jor-El manages to save his entire family.

Jor-El becomes a tech giant producing high tech solution to Earth's problems. Lara formed a new religious movement- Raoism. And Kal-El's little sister goes into politics.

Anyway, the intention of the Supergirl writer was that Linda and Kara would stick around together as part of a team, with Power Girl. So Superwoman, Supergirl, and Power Girl. Or actually Power Woman, I think the author thought it was weird that a very much fully grown woman was still being called Power Girl.

In the comics though Kara has had other identities than Supergirl, for that matter.

Flamebird, although that would also be problematic because I do believe Zoat introduced the other Flamebird in this fic, and in Trinity in the Supermanless world she went by Interceptor.

26. Buggy123

Buggy123 I trust you know where the happy button is?

Eh, I looked at it, saw lots of detailed information, and thought "okay, whatever, the argument will stand just fine on its other legs. I'll concede the point instead of checking and/or arguing that they do not require training.".

However, as usual Vaermina decided not to follow up, probably walking away with a sense of victory. My efforts were in vain, as usual, and Vaermina continues to say things that could be rebuted with a single sentence.

The world spins, the sun shines.

27. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

I had a teacher back in middle school (like 10 years ago) that was also a park ranger part time that had to miss class once because he had to go to seminar on bulletproof vests. He brought one in to show the class. Training exists, but it’s not very much.
    In this case, a Spell Eater is similar enough to a bulletproof vest, that you could replace the plate in one of the vests with a spell eater, if you weren’t worried about it overheating.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2019
  28. Maxx Crowley

I'd assume it got smacked out of him one way or another.

Prince Charon and Vorian like this.
  29. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

That basically amounted to a set of laundry instructions. Not wearing instructions.

30. Threadmarks: Angelic (part 8)
    Mr Zoat

28th January
    11:22 GMT -5

Raquel waits until the door closes.

"You took a look at her soul."

I glance back, nod, then lead the way towards the room Chief Clayborne set aside for Tula.

"Try what out?"

"Gosh, Rocket, I just can't imagine what a group of teenagers from a socially conservative background might want to try out when their parents weren't around. Do you think we should go back and clarify it for the record?"

I can feel her eye roll. "So what does that have to do with that Buzz guy? Did he just like to watch?"

"That's possible. But there are ways to draw magic power from that sort of thing. And ways to use magic to lower people's inhibitions. If he knows enough about magic to dodge a police cordon, he's easily good enough at magic to do both."

"You think he was mind controlling teenagers into 'trying things out'?"

"Easy to explain away if anyone found out about it. But even if he was, we'd never be able to prove it. That sort of magic barely uses any energy. He'd be in more trouble for concealing himself from the police with magic."

"She didn’t mention DMN. He might not be the supplier."

"All sorts of things are possible. If she can't locate anything by scrying we can take Tula down to the building they were using for a meeting place, see what sort of reading she can get. Trying to locate Linda Danvers will be our third avenue."

I learned that her father was on the local police force when I did my initial sweep, but if she hasn't done anything worse than have a boyfriend from the wrong side of the tracks I don't plan on embarrassing either of them by sticking my oar in.

"Why not do both?"

"Travel speed. Devil Jizz can make things that are hard for us to fight-. Fight without killing the user, anyway. You and Tula have kinetic belts and I can teleport, but if this 'Buzz' has summoned something and there are also users-"

I push open the door. Artemis nods at us and Chief Clayborne looks up from Tula's water… Tablet? Slate? She appears to be making thaumaturgical notes on it with her right hand while holding her left over the map.

"-somewhere else-."

"We don't split up."

I nod. "Split up further anyway."

Tula's eyes clear as she comes out of her trance, and she turns to look at us.

"Got something?"

"I may have." She doesn't sound convinced. "They're definitely using demonic magic, but it does not feel… The energies involved do not feel like those of the combat demons we have encountered before."

"Okay, so what is it?"

"I think that it is a carnalite of some kind."

Artemis smirks, checks where on the map Tula is indicating and pulls her phone out, while Chief Clayborne frowns. "And what does that mean?"

"'Carnalite', from 'carnal', meaning-."

He closes his eyes, nodding. "We've got a succubus."

"Technically, there are demons that can feed on any overwhelming sensation. There are greed demons who get powered up by people gorging themselves. Succubi are just the most popular for…" I shrug theatrically. "Some reason."

"Can't imagine why."

Artemis holds up her phone. "It's a succubus. That's-" She nods at the map. "-a massage parlour."

"Artemis, I'm a masseur. I've massaged you bef-."

"Not a massage parlour massage parlour. A massage parlour."

Chief Clayborne holds his hand out for the phone. "Can I see that?"

Artemis presses a couple of buttons and then hands it over. Chief Clayborne looks at the place and nods before handing it back. "Yeah, I know the place. We've… Had people poke around there a few times. Never caught anyone in the act-." He looks up at me. "We haven't had any unexplained deaths where it looks like the… Deceased had been… Y'know, drained."

I shake my head. "Succubi can kill when feeding, but they don't need to. Sex demons working in the sex trade usually just leave their partners extremely tired. That way they can get repeat business, and it's far harder for demon hunters to find them. And I know of at least one who's married." Hm. "I know that both 'DMN' and prostitution are illegal in Virginia, but how do you want to handle this?"

He shrugs. "I mostly want to shut down the supply side. If they are using DMN then I don't mind looking the other way this once if that gets us the ringleaders. But you can be sure that we'll be going back there on a regular basis afterwards. If they're actually summoning demons then everyone there gets prosecuted to the full extent of the law, no exceptions."

"Do you have the facilities for containing demons?"

"Ah… Not-. No."

I look at Tula, who nods. "I have binding chains, and I can place spells of containment on the holding cells. If they are within the usual power distribution curve for carnalites then that will be sufficient."

I nod. "Could you put a containment ward on the building from the outside?"

She nods again. "I will just need to direct a circle of water around the area to be warded. It will only take a few minutes as long as you only want me to create a version which requires my constant attention. A lasting version will take longer."

"No, that should be fine." I look at Chief Clayborne. "And if by some freak chance it turns out that they've hired a demon chef or something..?"

"Can't say I really.. like the idea, but… My job is to enforce the law. If they're in America legally and they're not hurting anyone, that's… Really all there is to it." I nod. "What sort of support do you need?"

"A small cordon to keep people back, just in case there's a fight and it spills outside. A scene of crime team to check the place over with Tula. A van for prisoner transportation, and you'll need to make sure that the officers who will be in direct contact-."

"They'll need your magic amulets, right." He nods. "You need a SWAT team?"

I frown, regarding him curiously for a moment. I'm not sure what he thinks they'd do, but I suppose that he's only trying to be helpful. "Ah, no, thank you. How soon can you get that together?"

"Apart from the forensics guys, twenty minutes? Do I.. need to hurry things along?"

I look at Tula, who shakes her head. "I can not feel any particular build up of power. There may be an advantage in waiting until there are more cultists present."

Chief Clayborne nods at me, then marches out of the room to set things in motion.

Artemis shrugs. "We don’t actually know they're a cult."

"I do not know the English collective noun for a group of prostitutes."

"Actually, a succubus could probably survive as a masseuse, even without happy endings." Hm. "I think."

Raquel looks between me and Tula. "If they are using succubus-flavored Devil Jizz, what can they actually do?"

"Enhanced sexual appeal, limited shapeshifting including wings, enhanced strength and toughness… They might have thralled their clients, but I doubt it. I won't ask whether you ladies think you might be susceptible, but do you all have your wards?" Three nods. "Glad to hear it. Let's take a look at the building plans while we wait for the police to ready themselves."

Last edited: Jun 4, 2019