1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Two very strong personalities, interesting.

And Grayven, still pulling strings for his former country in the background. Sentimental softie :D

Cuchulin, RGFJ and CTrees like this.
  2. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

Man, that son really had to worry about mind control now.

Ardy likes this.
  3. Sockmonkey

Sockmonkey I trust you know where the happy button is?

To be fair, water is such a critical need that it makes sense for soldiers to have something that can purify water from local sources if they run out.

Drode likes this.
  4. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

Really though, the major difference between governments now and then is that we’re run by merchants instead of royalty. A leader has to be able to sell themself as a product to get a position.

Though really a popular revolt like Morgan is planning is still a viable method of gaining power - and a lot easier to accomplish now if one has the backing.

She has money, charisma, and experience in leadership, if this was America she could run for President and win.

Would “make Britain Great again” be a good campaign slogan?

Last edited: Jun 8, 2019
  5. Ganurath

Ganurath Apologizes For Nothing

Merchants make minimum wage. We're run by bureaucrats.

ashadowalker, Cuchulin, RGFJ and 3 others like this.
  6. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

Who are, again, run by merchants, though unofficially. Bribes and lobbying are far more of a thing now than they were back then. Also, not sure there were beaurocrats in medieval England.

7. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

Also, what she’s famous for, scheming and plotting, aren’t considered negative traits in rulers any more.

8. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.
    'Putting the 'Great' back in Britain' was already tried. I don't remember who started it, but I don't remember it lasting.

9. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

It’s not a call to action? “Putting the ‘Great’ back in Britain” seems too passive.

Say what you want, but it was a great slogan.

Though it might sound a bit imperialistic to work for Britain.

Cuchulin, Alexandercctv and Navi-Hank like this.
  10. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

I believe that rule is supposed to go according to pronunciation. Hence, 'an hour' because the h is silent.

Vorian and Chojin Patriarch like this.
  11. AidanMorgan

AidanMorgan Essentially Overworked

EXTERNAL SCREAMING

Vorian, RGFJ, SpadeofPain and 3 others like this.
  12. Zig

Zig Not too sore, are you?

Grayven seems to gave gained enlightenment

Gantradies likes this.
  13. BartlettMagic

BartlettMagic peekaboo, you fucks you!

THANK you. i was furiously reading comments hoping somebody would refresh our memories, hoping to avoid a "can somebody give me a rundown on these guys" post.

I feel like, aside from the brief interaction when OL returns from space that you reference, nothing has been said in reference to this whole situation. I forgot about (the real) Constantine becoming a LoC, I knew Nabu was dead but that the Helm of Fate still granted Order-related power. But honestly when this "angelic-Constantine-lookalike"/"my name is John"/Welsh John/Quinn character showed up, I was fairly confused. I forgot about the handoff of the helmet and thought that this guy was a new, 'order-ized' upgrade version of Constantine, the Mr. Zoat version of Gandalf the White appearing after we've last seen Gandalf the Gray.

Then, in the comments I get reminded of Constantine becoming a LoC while Quinn has the HoF, I started thinking that Constantine had somehow split himself in half (again?) and divided himself into his Order and Chaos halves and that this guy was the Order half.

It's been quite the rollercoaster for me and my bad memory.

Regardless, I enjoy it all. Thanks Zoat.

Chojin Patriarch likes this.
  14. Mr Zoat

No, that's Geoffrey Talbot. Red Lantern, formerly a member of the Metropolitan Police.

15. Zig

Zig Not too sore, are you?

Note to self: night mode filter makes red look orange

16. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

Are you sure it doesn't make orange look red? ;)

Prince Charon likes this.
  17. l---erddad---l

l---erddad---l Wait, google can see this?

Huh... I'm not sure that's much more scary than how Constantine became a Lord of Chaos, honestly.

Gantradies, Vorian and RGFJ like this.
  18. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

To be fair the British Royal Family is mostly a glorified tourist atraction nowadays, not the one making most of the choices on how to rule the U.K.

Cuchulin likes this.
  19. iamnuff

iamnuff Connoisseur.

No, but symbolism has power and mystical weight. I imagine a crown on a Constantine head could do a lot of damage.

20. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

Is John the one who is cursed, and his decendants by blood, not his predecessors. John's brother doesn't hate his whole family, just John and any decendants he has or will have.

Prince Charon, Cuchulin and RGFJ like this.
  21. iamnuff

iamnuff Connoisseur.

I wasn't refering to any 'curse' by john's brother, so much as the general Constantine mojo that plenty of his ancestors have had.

PDV, Cuchulin, Vorian and 2 others like this.
  22. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

He’s referring to Golden Boy’s luck draining thing, which I assume isn’t so much of a curse as much as the guy actively doing it?

Cuchulin likes this.
  23. BOOKgod22

BOOKgod22 Getting some practice in, huh?

Quick question, where was the christmas rant between the Amazon queen and paul located i can seem to google it. Thanks.

24. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

Start of the Heaven episode.

Ardy likes this.
  25. Threadmarks: Angelic (part 12)
    Mr Zoat

28th January
    12:43 GMT -5

John Quinn as Doctor Fate floats a short way off the ground, levitating the book Ms Bowen handed over at head-. Or rather, at helmet height as he looks through it. Tula has entered the building with the forensics team, in order to keep them away from anything thaumically active rather than to do any sort of examination herself. Demon magic is the one area where the surface world is actually more sophisticated than Atlantis.

The small crowd on the other side of the police barricades grew once the news got around that a member of the Justice League who hasn't been seen in public in over six months had put in an appearance, but it's dropping off now that it's clear that he isn't going to do anything interesting. A few of the police are taking the time to stare at him, but I can't really begrudge them that. There isn't a lot happening, and expecting them to remain fully alert at all times is simply unrealistic.

"Rocket, check in?"

"Rocket here. We're about halfway through the list."

"Any trouble?"

"How do you mean 'trouble'?"

"Are they cooperating?"

"You mean, are they cooperating with the police officers arresting them for soliciting and substance abuse?"

"Yes. Though I believe that the arrest warrant also includes mind control."

"Some of them have kids. One had a boyfriend who didn't know what her job was."

"And I'm sure that they'll be very glad that she's not going to get dragged into Hell." I take a breath. "Rocket, I don't think that laws against prostitution are sensible, saving in that they make profiting from people trafficking slightly more difficult. I have two friends who are former prostitutes. If it wasn't for the demon magic I'd probably turn a blind eye to the whole situation but they're using demon magic so I can't. Also, they were deliberately altering the minds of their clients in order to secure repeat custom."

"Yeah, I get it." She sighs. "Those friends of yours. Who are they?"

"Holly Robinson and Selina Kyle."

"How did they.. get into it?"

"Gotham City Child Services."

"They were running a pedo ring?"

"No, they were just really bad at their jobs. It's not exactly a well-funded department in most cities, and with Gotham's economic decay and graft they never really had a chance. Low educational attainment, no home support, poor diet, no safety…" I frown. "No offence intended to Dakota, but is this sort of thing really novel for you?"

"Icon doesn't think prostitution should be illegal, either. He doesn't think government should have social policy. His 'grandfather' fought prohibition and internment."

"And you?"

"It's not like I don't get that banning it doesn't suddenly give the women doing it new jobs, I just…"

"Okay, you don’t like it. How would you fix it? What do you want?"

"To suddenly give every woman working in the sex-."

"Just the women?"

"Most-. Yeah, okay, everyone working in the sex trade a better education. High school graduate level. And-."

"Do you have good data on what proportion lack that level of education? As opposed to taking it up due to a lack of employment opportunities and sticking with it due to the relatively high tax free pay?"

"No, but I can't fix the whole economy."

"If not you, then who?" I shrug. "Education is an easy enough fix. The genomorphs are looking for volunteers for their telepathic education experiments. If you can get me their contact details I'll put their names down. No charge."

"I don't really know them personally. I'll definitely put out some fliers, though."

"Might be worth asking them what they're paid per hour, so you can work out what sort of employment you'll need to create to replace it."

"And how am I supposed to do that?"

"I don't know. Wasn't Hardware moaning about Edwin Alva owning his inventions? Get him to make something with civilian applications and site the factory in Datoka. Look at it as homework."

"Ah… Yeah, okay. I'll look into it. Anything else?"

"No. I'll check in with you in another half hour. Let me know if you run into any difficulty."

"Got it. Rocket out."

John turns a page. He clearly still has a way to go, but if he isn't shouting anything yet I'm going to assume that there isn't an immediate need to panic. Since there's nothing I can really add to his investigation, I turn away and walk over to where Artemis is talking to Chief Clayborne. She notices me approaching and hurries in my direction to intercept me.

"Yes? Something the matter?"

She makes eye contact with me, then pointedly glances at John. "Did you ever… Check him out?"

"Magicians have ways of confusing their trails. At least some people who'd been where he claimed to be remembered interacting with someone fitting his description. And he's helped me out."

She gives a slight shrug with her right shoulder. "Right. So what's our next-?"

The street explodes in white flame! I throw up a construct bubble around Artemis and myself as white hot fire pours from the heavens! Artemis crouches as the torrent of fire envelops us, anti-magic arrow already on string. I hear explosions as car petrol tanks cook off all around us, and the crash of glass as windows explode!

"Artemis, moving to the police line. Ring, what's happening?"

Artemis nods and we start jogging towards where I hope the police cordon is. Damn it, we haven't evacuated the prisoners yet!

"Incendiary attack launched from above. No prior chemical alteration in local air. Fire otherwise performing as conventional fire. Supposition: fire is conjured."

"Possible, but this would take stupid amounts of power."

A pact with the Parliament of Flames is a possibility, but a magic generalist who could conjure this amount of fire on their own recognisance would have far better ways to kill a few people. It isn't pure elemental fire because that has anomalous behaviours my ring can spot. It isn't divine fire because it's the wrong colou-.

We break through the curtain of flame, the burning wrecks of the police cars in front of us. I can see where the police and civilians have fallen back, convection making the area almost unbearably hot. Several are sporting burns, and a few have been laid down and are being tended to by medical personnel.

"There!"

Artemis points upwards and I follow her finger. Yes, there's someone up there, throwing flame down at us. Magnif-.

There's what looks like an explosion from the figure's location, and the spray of fire ends. Immediately I turn, cold gun constructs forming and shooting the still-burning buildings on either side of the street.

"Aquagirl, status!"

Artemis switches to flame-retardant arrows and joins my cold guns. The street still radiates heat, the air too hot to breathe.

"One severely burned. I'm administering a healing potion. I got a water shield up before anyone else could get hurt."

"Good reactions. Fate?"

A golden ankh appears in the air, John appearing in the air a moment later.

"Fate is well, though I am afraid that the book was entirely destroyed."

Darn it. Temperatures normalised, I cease fire with my cold guns.

"What the hell just happened?"

Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
  26. oct9010

oct9010 .

27. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

And isn't that a depressing thought?

Yeah, not really the best showing.

"It's not like I don't get that banning it doesn't suddenly give the women doing it new jobs, I just…"

Or those who took it up because they enjoy it?

As opposed to forcing them onto welfare, which would be the most likely result. That or webcam shows.

Well, I suppose he does have a decent ass. Oh, you didn't mean that kind of checking out?

Okay, who cast Flame Strike?!

"Artemis, get moving to the police line. Ring, what's happening?"
    (or simply 'move to')

Possibility of them being the target?

Great, fireball and run. The worst kind of scry-and-die mage.

Welp. There goes that lead.

That's the $100,000 question, isn't it?

Clearly someone didn't want Fate finding something in that book. The person responsible for the parlor's owner getting it, perhaps?

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
  28. Fireboy13

Fireboy13 Gone for Good

I realize it’s just Rocket being rocket, but she is really starting to get on my nerves.

On one hand I love it because it means she’s well written enough that she can, on the other I’m annoyed even more because I’ve about worn a hole in my shoes whilst jogging to help deal with the tension and sheer frustration she inspires every time she opens her mouth and spouts off with the same dime a dozen line.

so kudos mr Zoat, love your writing and your characters, I’m going to go make the holes in my shoe bigger after reading this chapter. :)

29. Ganurath

Ganurath Apologizes For Nothing

Rocket, when an Orange Lantern asks you what you want, he's not asking how you want to solve the problem. He's asking what the problem you want to solve is.

30. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

This just reminds me of the ex-Doctor Fate from the Suicide Squad: Hell to Pay animated movie, who works as a gogo dancer. Now THAT would have been a fun character to replace Nabu.