1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

Fuck, it was in the omake index when I read all of them a few years ago I'll go back and see if I can find it. (probably better off asking midnightflame or Xavier brown if they're still around)

EDIT:
    I ONLY WENT AND FUCKING DID IT https://forums.spacebattles.com/thr...-thread-eleven.311139/page-1068#post-17684735
    but yeah it was old

2. WhiteNoise

WhiteNoise Making the rounds.

Do you mean "whose ends do not necessarily oppose my own."? Because there's no reason to expect matching, and previous conflicts would give reason to expect oppositions.

3. Chaoswind

Chaoswind Lord of nonsense

Not by Zoat and wasn't threadmarked, no wonder I missed it.

4. DAT_NOOB

I'm actually not sure what omake means is it like Apocrypha? or something.
    I assumed it meant not written by author.

Gantradies likes this.
  5. Eponymic

Eponymic Getting sticky.

Wow, either Kid Flash is still a... Kid, or this is the least American thing I've ever heard him say, 'cause we've got this thing called the 5th Amendment. Has he been spending time talking with Canis?

On another note, considering you've got a totally not Supergirl with someone else inside here head, and OL's meta gaming, maybe the other totally not Supergirl should spend some time around the exorcist too?

RagnarokAscendant likes this.
  6. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

There are good demons and evil angels so that does complicate things.

Plus ta know the fact that anyone who is a non believer defaults to Helll when they died even if they weren't a bad person?

Plua ya know how Supergitl in the comics ended in Hell?

There are enough hints that the so called White God doesn't give a fuck.

Plus this Earth has Constantine Angels on it so at least a few Angels are dixks or outright evil for sure.

7. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

It’d be like a polygraph, which is legal. Just harder to fool. The DND Circle of truth works like a polygraph, if I remember.

Vorian likes this.
  8. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Earthborn angels in DC inevitably fall to corruption if they don't die first, Linda's "burn them all and let god sort them out" attitude made it clear that fate had befallen her in Reign in Hell, especially since she came to Hell from being summoned by Lilith who called in "all those indebted to Hell."

A better example of the point you are trying to make is Guy not only going to Hell when he died, but becoming a demon lord after the Imperiex War.
    [​IMG]

Bramble Thorn, Cuchulin, Ardy and 2 others like this.
  9. Eponymic

Eponymic Getting sticky.

IANAL, but in the States they mostly aren't legal. Federally the results are usually inadmissable in criminal law, and state by state varies but is usually either inadmissable or both parties need to agree. Regardless you can't be compelled to take one.

Vorian likes this.
  10. Ganurath

Ganurath Apologizes For Nothing

It doesn't. It's a restrictive compulsion that prevents deliberately spoken falsehoods. It's possible Wally was thinking of truth detecting magic, but most truth magic in fiction is of the truth compelling variety, rather than truth discerning.

Drode, Vorian and Ardy like this.
  11. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

Well, yes. But in DND you can a. Remain silent, or just talk about something else, and b. Tell if the circle is on if you are in it. Therefore it’s like a polygraph, since it doesn’t compel the truth, but rather just not lying.

Drode, Vorian and Ardy like this.
  12. Ganurath

Guess how many suspected criminals in DC play Dungeons & Dragons know the nuances of how spells work.

DAT_NOOB likes this.
  13. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Thanks for the effort!

This was an appropriately bleak and depressing outcome for 40k.

DAT_NOOB and Ardy like this.
  14. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

That made no fucking sence since before appearing in hell she had been a superhero and not the Punisher type. And she did not make any pact with a demon or something.

Not to mention that when she used that fire ability she could only really hurt really evil people who escaped mortal justice to start with.

DC is quite sexist, isn't it?

And if that time line still exists then she is still stuck in Hell since in other continuities that version of Supergirl doesn't exist.

15. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

There are no Good demons or Evil angels in DC.

It is in fact physically impossible.

You're conflating the human morality of good and evil with the conceptual Good and Evil as it exists in DC comics.

No, they go to Limbo for a little bit then move onto the Silver City.

I know how Linda Danvers ended up in Hell.

Hell called in all debts owed and dragged every being with such into the pit.

The White God is from Dresden Files not DC comics...

Some are assholes, but again, that's human morality, not Good and Evil as the concept.

DAT_NOOB likes this.
  16. Buggy123

Buggy123 I trust you know where the happy button is?

Okay, it's perfectly possible to define a morality where all demons are always bad, and all angels are always good. And as you said, this is not human morality.

I just have one question though: Why should anyone, be it us out-universe, or OL in-universe, care about that definition in the slightest?

17. Ardy

Ardy I trust you know where the happy button is?

Because Vaermina, the ultimate judge of morality, is endorsing it. Duh.

18. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Because exposure to "Evil" does really bad things to mortal souls.

19. DAT_NOOB

What are you talking about everyone got what they D̙̬̘̊͒̿͊̕ę͉̪̻̦͔̏ͬ̋ͤ̂̀ͅs̸̛̭̖͔̖̘̜̪̅̉̂͡i͓̖̪̹̘̎͟r̨̢̜̗͙̥̜̀ë͉̖͈̙̬́ͥ̀͠͡d̨̯̪̓͋͆̂ͣ̾ͮͤ̓ ̖̼̗͉͕̭̘ͤ͗̍͆̀̀͢

WhiteNoise, Vorian and Bramble Thorn like this.
  20. Buggy123

Do we actually know that? The one clear example we have of someone getting a huge dose of "Evil" (aka just Demon) is OL when he invaded Hell, and he just had substantially reduced sympathy. He still had essentially the same motivations and end-goals as before, all of which were essentially neutral or good.

The users of DMN also don't seem particularly worse for wear, from what we've seen. I mean, many of them were violent cultists, which sort of skews things a bit, but they didn't seem substantially more violent afterwards. And the non-violent DMN users we've seen here seem perfectly normal.

21. Queshire

Queshire Not too sore, are you?

And that wasn't capital-E Evil anyways. That was just hell magic iirc.

22. Threadmarks: Angelic (part 17)
    Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

28th January
    13:16 GMT -5

Robert floats through what looks like a campfire site, occasionally closing his eyes to better feel whatever it is that he's feeling.

"People were killed here."

"Can you tell how many?"

He shakes his head. "More than one, less than a hundred. The fire's covering everything up."

I frown. The ground is clearly blackened where the fire was lit, but I can't see any other signs of burning. "Where..?"

He lands, laying his hands on the ground. "Contained by magic, probably. I'd guess they cancelled the containment spell then left the fire burning for a bit to cover it up."

"Does your training include necromancy?"

"Nah." He shakes his head. "Dad's not keen. Otherworld's one thing, but messing around with Heaven or Hell is really s-something you have to think about very carefully."

I nod, smiling. "Very carefully."

I've got traces of genetic material from the site, but… Nothing I'd want to rely on in court. Or even in the less formal environment in which superhero investigations take place. The trees provide some cover from the winds, but what I'm picking up could have come from anywhere.

"So I wouldn't want to try calling anyone up."

"That's fine." There might not have been a jump in the murder rates, but that still gives a demon cult some leeway given that Virginia has over three hundred murders annually. "Can you track Buzz's magic with this?"

He stands, shaking his head. "Sorry, mate."

I walk over to him, pulling the knife out of my pouch and offering it to him. "Would this help?"

"Maybe?" He takes it, holding it by the guard with his left hand and moving his right over its surface. "At least one person was killed with this. And-." His eyes come fully open. "Yeah. Got someone. Feels… Like demon magic. And… If this was the murder weapon…"

He kneels, stabbing the knife into the ground and then standing and taking a step back.

"I should be able to get a direction and… Roughly the distance."

"How 'should' is 'should'?"

"Blood and death are powerful ritual components. If he had a shield up strong enough to block it, Doctor Fate would have felt that."

I nod, then frown. "You sure that's not necromancy?"

"I guess it… Kind of is? But no one means this when they say 'necromancy'."

I nod, then raise my left hand to my ear. "Orange Lantern to Aqualad. We think we can trace Buzz. Should we proceed?"

"We have.. located a group of cultists. They are armed, though if they possess any-"

I hear automatic weapon fire.

"-Devil Jizz they have not used it."

"Do you want me to help?"

"This is well within our abilities. Find the leader and defeat him before he can carry out any further evil acts."

"Rightoh. I'll let you know once he's in custody. Orange Lantern out." I lower my hand. "I'll transition us to his approximate location. We'll locate him together and then I'll fly us to him. Stay back and counter his magic as best you can while I take him down."

"Um-. I haven't really.. practised countering demon magic. I can disrupt simple stuff whatever he does, but I'm not… Y'know, Doctor Fate."

"That's perfectly fine. I'm not expecting you to be." I smile. "Not for a few years, anyway."

"Right." He nods, then returns his attention to the knife. "Just got to.. redirect-."

Something flows through the clearing, causing my environmental shield to flicker. Robert shakes for a moment and then gestures north north east.

"That way. About… Ah… Fifty miles? On a road, big road. In a lorry."

Ring, scan.

I step towards Robert as he snatches up the knife, an image of the area appearing in my mind. Interstate 81 is roughly in the right area. No.. obvious gaps in the traffic where something is defying my scans.

"Transition in one."

We appear a mile up, looking down at the traffic. Compare visual image to scan…

Got you.

I transition us again, appearing in front of an articulated lorry and flying backwards to keep pace with it. The driver's eyes are slightly vacant, while-. While my eyes fail to see whoever is in the passenger seat beside him.

Robert swipes his right hand across, and a sudden gust of eldritch wind causes whatever spell Buzz was using to flicker and fail. The driver jerks, blinking as the mental influence spell fails and momentarily losing control-.

I stick a construct around the lorry and rise into the air, stopping once we're about a mile up.

"Mister Buzz, you are under arrest."

The driver frowns, looks right and visibly starts. "Who the fuck are you? What the fuck is going on?"

Buzz's eyes flick from Robert and then back to me. "Easy does it, lads. No need for-."

The front cab of the lorry disintegrates, segments floating in the air as I pull it apart. A large reptilian hand construct grabs Buzz and pulls him free, his legs dangling. The parts of the lorry then flow back together, then I lower it into a lay-by to allow the driver to recover.

"I have corpses, Mister Buzz. A minor brothel madam who somehow found herself in possession of a book instructing the reader in the use of demonic magic. I have a knife and a woman who appears to have been merged with a disempowered angel-."

"Oh yeah." He grins unpleasantly. "Nice work with that, by the way. Howagh!"

I remove the mage slayer round from his forehead and then attach the binding chains to his arms and legs.

"So this is what you actually look like? Curious."

"I've-." He tries to pull against the chains and gets nowhere. "I've always looked like this."

"Originally human? Well, you wouldn't be the only one."

He stares me in the eyes. "Yeah. Bet even you were Human once upon a time."

I chuckle, then shake my head. "Mister Buzz, I am not an impressionable teenager. If you wish to play mind games with me you will have to up your game. Now, do you intend to tell me what you've been up to in Virginia, or-" I hold my left hand out towards him, palm first. "-do I have to encourage you?"

"You allowed to do that?"

"Ongoing demonic threat. Any and all means to prevent loss of life. I'd try and turn it off afterwards, but? No promises."

"Fine-. Fine. This whole thing's been a huge waste of time anyway. I should have cut 'n run when you got away from the fuckin' Host."

"The benefits of hindsight. Now, tell me about the Devil Jizz."

"Oh, that had nothing to do with m-."

I roll my eyes.

"Brand."

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
  23. Simonbob

Simonbob Really? You don't say.

As best I can tell, there are no, or almost no, actual Christians here.

There's certainly none working for DC comics, hasn't been for decades, as far as I can tell.

It shows.

KenNM, Drode, infinityDivided and 7 others like this.
  24. BR549

BR549 This is filth! FILTH!!

OL: "Bored now."

Site

Broken end italics.

Hello there!

25. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

Huh. He might have been telling the truth about that part.

26. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Robert floats through what looks like a campfire site...

Welp, that's not good in any way.

Given OL's experiences, very very true.

And you didn't lead with the knife why?

"Maybe?" He takes it, holding it by the guard with his left hand...

I nod, then frown. "You sure that's not necromancy?"

Like unleashing an actual demon? Good idea.

Amazing, no Ward? Either Buzz is sloppy or he's incompetent.

Sneaky sneaky.

Stylish!

Not a willing accomplice then.

Definite style bonus there!

He's not complimenting you, jackass.

Hmm, good cop, bad cop, or Batman. Let's go with Batman.

This might be better capitalised, being he's referring to the organisation of the Heavenly Hosts...

Yeah, this guy is a little shit. Pump him for info, then toss him in a deep dark hole...

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
  27. Ganurath

What motive does he have to do that that he would think of?

Cuchulin, Relyt33 and RichardWhereat like this.
  28. Simonbob

Simonbob Really? You don't say.

Huh.

Ok. Well, then, I'll stand by my statement that there's none in DC.

Relyt33 and Belenus like this.
  29. Buggy123

People: "Why can't OL ever take people out, he's way too weak for a experienced ring user!"

Meanwhile, over the course of several hours, Orange Lantern and his friends effortlessly demolish another demonic cult.

reddraggone9, Drode, BR549 and 21 others like this.
  30. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.