1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

Courts don't tend to care about how well you've acted since your last crime spree, or since you busted out of prison, just that you have committed a crime spree without punishment, or broke out of jail without completing your sentence, and broke out of jail.

Luthor should still be tried for his crimes that Paul can use magic and ultra ring scand to discover evidence on. But, after Paul has bought a majority sharehold position in the company so it doesn't tank.

2. Grounded

Grounded Oh no, I fell over.

It's a weird universe where LexCorp is the preferred solution. But then again, that's where where're are.

3. Queshire

Queshire Not too sore, are you?

Well, there is a statue of limitations, so depending on how long you've been good and the crimes in question they might not care.

Alexandercctv, Xjalnoir and Sceptic like this.
  4. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

They're currently rebuilding their main centre of business, and the staff remember being killed by angels.
    Lucius Fox's policy involves waiting until just prior to a 'former' villains release, as they've had bad experiences before. Batman and the SI aren't close enough for him to want to overrule that.
    It would involve him spending time trying to do something he deliberately outsourced because he doesn't know how to do it.

5. TheEyes

TheEyes Well worn.

Well we know Wayne, for some damn fool reason, is convinced that the only criminal who can be reformed by anything other than Righteous Face-Punching is Talia. It's one of the many drawbacks he purchased when min-maxing his character build.

Kord, from what I remember, is a little busy with all the magic and magic-related stuff Paul has dropped in his lap.

Government research is a bit of a mixed bag. USA and Europe won't hire anyone with a record. Russia would hire him, but given that they have yet to release any research on any of the alien tech they've been building mechs out of for the past fifty years it's unlikely cold guns will find any use outside of the Russian military, which basically puts reverse-entropy tech back into Reed Richards Is Useless territory.

Paul himself could bankroll Snart, but really Snart needs someone watching him and Paul is far too busy to babysit.

Maybe the guy to talk to would be Oliver Queen? Doesn't he run his own Wayne Industries Lite or something?

6. Mr Zoat

No. As mentioned in Reordered, he was removed from that job for not doing it.

7. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

Can you imagine him working for Cadbury? A bit of a waste of talent, but they could possibly move into refrigeration, what with the good distribution network mentioned some time ago.

8. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

Fairly sure the USA might. They did hire Nazi scientists after WW 2. They just might not tell people about it. After all, who cares what happens to 1 minor villain.

Alexandercctv, Xjalnoir, Ardy and 4 others like this.
  9. Sceptic

Sceptic Critical Irrationalist

That's actually an interesting point. Isn't one of the challenges of making quality chocolate cooling it carefully enough to avoid it crystallizing? Which would make the cold guns either incredibly good or incredibly bad for cooling the chocolate after pouring it into the moulds.

10. Queshire

Queshire Not too sore, are you?

There's also that thing about hiring criminal hackers for tech security.

RichardWhereat likes this.
  11. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

I was thinking maybe Cadbury has a factory to make those machines that they could turn to making refrigerators.

12. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

As to hiring criminals, it could be Russia’s strategy to keep everyone from looking too deep into them by throwing up a smokescreen of less bad things. They’re the bad guy, and everyone knows they’re the bad guy. It’s been their public image since the Cold War. The US and China, however, try to look like good guys, despite likely secretly doing some of the same things Russia is.

13. RichardWhereat

What's preventing all these nations from hiring these criminals to build them weapons?

Boss Smiley.

w34v3r and Vorian like this.
  14. Sceptic

Sceptic Critical Irrationalist

Or he's taking credit for someone elses work. Which seems very much like a boss move...

15. Aeess

Aeess I trust you know where the happy button is?

How are cold guns reverse-entropy tech? They apparently destroy energy ,they dont create it, if anything they would accelerate entropy.

RichardWhereat likes this.
  16. RichardWhereat

Done at his instruction though. Generals might take the credit for the work that they have colonels order captains to order sergeants to have corporals lead privates actually do, and while privates certainly do the work, none of it would be done without the officers drawing up the plans. Wow that went on and on like a bunch of bullshit, but I've an excuse. Wolf Blass Tawny Port.

Vorian likes this.
  17. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

Yeah, that’s the definition of reversing entropy. Entropy is disorder, which gradually increases in any system. Anything that reduces disorder reduces entropy in that system. At absolute zero, there is 0 entropy in a givensystem. Removing energy reduces entropy, due to reducing how spread out and disorganized matter is.

18. Jacen

Jacen I am of no consequence.

19. OrigamiPhoenix

OrigamiPhoenix Getting sticky.

I imagine that Snart would prefer to acquire a job based on his own merits, rather than relying on The Orange Lantern's recommendation. Something something validation something internalizing something skills and intelligence, etc.

20. iamnuff

iamnuff Connoisseur.

Man, I totally forgot that Renegade had a project going with a bunch of cloned Kryptionians and the Doomsday ship.
    I kinda want to see what happened with that.

Alexandercctv, Xjalnoir and Ardy like this.
  21. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

No, that definition definitely supports that cold guns are anti-entropy devices. I think you may have misunderstood the definition.

This isn't a very well-written dictionary entry, to be honest. It's technically true, but you have to take very specific interpretations of the words to get to the correct result, and those aren't the intuitive interpretations that you would think of in daily life.

Note that it says "unavailable energy". This is generally described as "heat", and it describes the energy due to things like molecular vibration that definitely EXISTS but isn't usable. A substance chilled by a cold gun has less unavailable energy, because the cold gun got rid of it. This means lower entropy.

The dictionary entry doesn't express the cause-and-effect relationship. A naive reading will get it wrong. Decreasing temperature doesn't CAUSE an increase in entropy; rather, in a natural process where you aren't putting any work into the system you will observe that entropy goes up as temperature goes down. When an object is hotter than its surroundings, the energy in that object is available to be used for work. As that energy is used up, the object cools down, and the energy becomes unavailable.

You have to take the other part into account as well. It specifically talks about reversible changes in heat. This is an incredibly specific thing. If you're putting work into a system to alter the temperature, that isn't a reversible process. A cold gun removes the heat energy from the system entirely. That's not reversible. If the system is subsequently allowed to come to equilibrium, the total thermal energy won't return to where it was before.

22. Gantradies

Gantradies Not too sore, are you?

and it also makes sense from a monitoring perspective- if they're publicly working for Lexcorp they'll constantly have folks from outside keeping an eye on them instead of getting lulled into complacency- if someone backslides, they'll be even more liekly to get caught, if they stay on the straight and narrow, it'll be proof for the Leauge first-eye how successful this little iniatitive is- actually brilliant when you think about it!

23. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

This Luthor works like a Mafia don. He doesn’t do anything you can prove he personally did. He bankrolls criminals out of pocket, so there is never any proof he knew they were criminals. The only eveidence is a bunch of cash taken out of his account, and officially used for expenses which hold up. Everyone was working independently of him, and he profits indirectly through goods left over somewhere / rivals destroyed. If he gets people to rob a bank, he’s not there himself, and all his tech is marked off as stolen. Like was pointed out, the JL can only suspect he was doing things wrong, and can’t arrest him without evidence. For all they definitely know, he’s just donating to charity. Of course, like a don, everyone knows he did it, but can’t prove it. When he fights Superman directly, if he does (which he hasn’t so far), he’s perfectly legally fighting a vigilante picking on an ordinary businessman (himself). Questioning under magic / compulsion is illegal in the US, so as long as everyone agrees with him, and he doesn’t do anything obviously against the interests of the United States, there is no proof of wrongdoing.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2019
  24. Tzeentch

Tzeentch I trust you know where the happy button is?

I feel that right around this time, Dr. Snart's eyes would probably be bugging out of his sockets at hearing a superhero casually and calmly explain his intention to deliberately murder someone, should certain circumstances occur.

25. Aeess

Paul isn't know to be sane, he is the guy who makes giant cake, gets killed by angels, conjures eyes all over the world, moves the moon, and gives Super villains inmates magic books and doctor titles. Him threatening a murderer is probably one of more understandable things Snart knows about Paul.

Now that I think about it, how known is it that Paul committed genocide? Like he told quite a few people who pretty much would have to tell other people.

26. Mr Zoat

Leonard's not totally sure he believes him. He's met murderous vigilantes before, and they don't visit offenders in prison to try and talk them around.
    Very few people on Earth know about either instance of genocide.

27. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

He told them to make a game based on it. I’m preety sure it’s trending on the internet by now. Or at least once they announce the game. I kind of want to see it: something like Sid Meier’s pirates, but with player narrative choice and possibly Mass Effect style dialogue. Though it’s rare to find a good game based on an existing, unaltered, setting from a different medium.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2019
    Ardy, Prince Charon and Mr Zoat like this.
  28. Aeess

He tasked a bunch of video game developers to make a game out of Vega, told them about the genocide and offered to provide additional data, I assumed that they shared that info with their employees and probably others.

29. Tzeentch

Tzeentch I trust you know where the happy button is?

Really? Like who? And how did he survive?

30. Mr Zoat

Yes, you're right, I forgot that he said that.