1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Rule 8 Question

Discussion in 'Announcements and Rules' started by Dirk Diggler, Jun 22, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dirk Diggler

Dirk Diggler What is going on up here?

I have a fic in mind with an MC that would have Alt-right/racist views. It would be set in Worm, so it would not touch on IRL politics or real people, but views such as racism, anti-semitism, anti-liberalism etc... would be expressed, and not in an offhand/cartoonish manner (and not in a fashion intended to proselytize to the reader). Does this sound like too much to the mods?

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  2. tehelgee

tehelgee The stern gaze of justice. Administrator

A racist character is not against Rule 8, nor would having a sexist, homophobic, or a character that celebrates the diverse so long as it's not referencing current events. However, the anti-liberalism would trade too close to current politics to be indistinguishable.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  3. Dirk Diggler

Dirk Diggler What is going on up here?

Alright, I'll keep that in mind. Thank you.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  4. magic9mushroom

magic9mushroom BEST END.

I think you may have lost sight of the ideals that built this place. That is sad, for they are worthy ideals.

5. Biigoh

Biigoh Primordial Tanuki Moderator

Well... in truth, rule 8 is an outgrowth of rule 1 because people could not understand that it was annoying to have politics shit things up and kept derailing with politics and attacking each other.

6. Cherry Lover

Cherry Lover Well worn.

Yeah, but when it's actually affecting what people can write in quests or fics, that's an actual problem. This kind of thing is exactly what I was worried about when the rule was first implemented.

snthsnth, Bre Karn and Ddmkm122 like this.
  7. Megaolix

Megaolix Moderator

Get over it already. What kind of fic would absolutely need anti-liberalism that would need to absolutely be posted here? This is like losing out on .1% of stories that could be posted here. And even that, .1% is a bit high.

8. John_Oakman

John_Oakman Come touch my hentai machine

This is why I'm glad I always claim hentai works for my social political inspirations...

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  9. Cherry Lover

Cherry Lover Well worn.

I just don't like the fact that authors have to actually consider whether their fic has political connotations. Personally, I'm not willing to alter what I'm going to write because of the rules of a site, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Also, when the rule was originally instituted, you specifically stated that this would not happen. So, you breaking that promise is not exactly reassuring.

10. magic9mushroom

magic9mushroom BEST END.

The whole point of QQ is that you can write whatever the fuck you want and not have to profane it with censorship. A ton of authors (TanaNari is a good example) moved here because they were revolted by how SB and SV just assume that authors will be willing to rewrite their work to fit their tastes. The moment you start asking the question "does the fic need XYZ", you've jumped ship into that mindset and abandoned the empowerment of authors that makes this place so refreshing. It's not about whether it needs it. It's about being faithful to the author's vision.

Banning political discussion is one thing - I might not like it, but you have a point that it's not the purpose of QQ. Banning or forcing edits to fics? That's a whole different fucking ball game. That's QQ's main selling point being compromised. That's the point at which "the site on which I can have all my fic in one place without violating rules" stops being QQ and starts being DWW or somewhere else equally obscure (AO3 bans original work, technically, though the fact that "original work" is a searchable tag speaks volumes).

11. Megaolix

Megaolix Moderator

>We ask that you don't go that far, probably a little bit too close to RL and that may make people to derail about it.

>QQ's ideals are compromised! It will never be again what was promised!

Yeah, no. You're making a mountain out of a molehill.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2019
    Shadow Wolf75, Ddmkm122 and Code_Xana like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.