1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Ganurath

Ganurath Apologizes For Nothing

I'd make a joke about some Guardian saying everything is illegal, but Krona went and killed them all.

2. Maxx Crowley

Maxx Crowley I trust you know where the happy button is?

Well....I supposed deep space is a damn good place to hide a body.

Though, if I had to guess, I'd say BL (HA!) is probably trying to get himself a Blue Power battery.

3. Ganurath

OL: "Why don't you just make your own battery? It'd not hard."
    BL: "You cheating-! I dislike you."

4. Maxx Crowley

Maxx Crowley I trust you know where the happy button is?

I'm sort of picturing a Paul now, who ended up in the Tower of Fate, and inheriting the Helmut, with the twist being that due to his soulless, Earth Prime nature, Nabu can't possess/take control of him and instead has to actually do the mentor thing...regardless of how much it pisses him off.

Granted, that was one of MY SI ideas when I was still toying around with the thought. But I don't even know how Zoat manages his every day updates (I think he hates typing a lot less then I do). To say nothing of the consistent quality.

5. Gantradies

Gantradies Not too sore, are you?

honestly, i have reduced sympathy for Blue Paul-
    this is happening specifically because he refused an oppertunity to GTFO of the syndicate's universe when offered out of loyalty to a team he admitted were horrible people/dangerously unstable at the time.
    *shrugs* he made the bed,time to lay in it

IsActuallyBatman and Drode like this.
  6. Someguy Somewhere

Someguy Somewhere The Critical Fumbler

He's busy laying in Zorina's.

7. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

I'm not sure anyone would get started with an SI work if they set the (quantity and/or quality) standard level with Mr Zoat. Even if you just did a one-shot and posted it here you'd get lots of willing readers.

IsActuallyBatman and DAT_NOOB like this.
  8. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

Only problem is that would go against rules established so far - with magic affecting him more, not less. He would in fact be the perfect body for Nabu to take over, since he could probably mold it like a piece of clay. That, or since he lacks a proper soul, he would leave Nabu vulnerable with his soul stretched too thin to defend against magical threats (his soul would have to fill more space, and couldn’t cast with OL’s magic)

Drode, DAT_NOOB and Ardy like this.
  9. Threadmarks: Doppelgängered (part 8)
    Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

4th February
    19:58 GMT -5

"Really?"

"Well…" Mister Scott shrugs. "More or less. Blue was running the team with Ultraboy, not with me."

"He got married to a sixteen-year-old girl..? Because she told him to?"

"They spent a lot of time together after the Decapitation, then they were trying to work out how to kill Doctor Chaos. I guess she just had to be a bit more forceful to make him think of her in that kinda way."

Zatanna.. shuffles uncomfortably next to me, and Mister Scott regards us curiously.

"You two… Not together? Blue's big problem was the age gap, and you two look like you're the same age to me."

"No." / "No, we're… Not."

"Alright." Mister Scott shrugs. "Hardly matters to me. What else you wanna know?"

"Everything. To come up with a workable strategy for keeping your Syndicate going, I need everything. And some time outside. I want to check everything you're telling me."

"Sure, we can set that up. But I was mostly talking about if there was anything you wanted to ask me. Not everything we do gets written down, y'know."

"I didn't…" Zatanna glances at me. "Read the full report on the Syndicate. If… President Slade could beat the Syndicate when it was at its strongest, how are you still here?"

Mister Scott shakes his head. "No, he couldn't. The Syndicate was effectively above the law for six years. Then Luthor got the smart idea of travelling to a parallel Earth to ask for help. We got… Blindsided. Well, I say we, I was retired at that point. We knew that Luthor had cracked our security, we just didn't think he had enough manpower to do anything about it. Next thing we know, he's back, and he's brought a team of Management recolors with him."

"Who were they?"

"The Justice League. Not the one from your universe. Ultraboy checked that before their little excursion to your LexCorp. They attacked Syndicate operations all over the United States." He glances to his side where Olympia has started grinding her teeth together. "Olympia got a front row seat at one of them, if you're interested in getting a blow-by-blow."

"I will rip out her intestines when next we meet."

"And then, when everyone was running around trying to defend the operations that were still going on, Luthor and the League attacked the moon base. Managed to jam the teleporters when it was only the Management on board. Wilson actually led the Marines boarding party himself. Which I kinda respect."

"And… Then the League left?"

"Sure. Mission accomplished. Except Wilson didn't actually think Luthor would be able to pull it off. He didn’t have anyone in position to attack all the other Syndicate bases or companies. And they didn't have anyone telling them what to do."

"The League half-arsed it."

Mr Scott shrugs. "I wouldn't be so sure of that. Maybe they had their own business to take care of back home?"

"No, I know the Earth Sixteen Justice League. It's not on the job full time. If they could spend a few days here they could spend a few more, or come back a little later. If they didn't, it was because they decided that their involvement was no longer required."

"Did the Syndicate try to rescue the.. managers?"

"Owlman and Johnny Quick were killed during the League's attack. The rest? Hah, Ultraman killed President Wilson's wife. What did they think was going to happen?"

"He killed him?"

"Exposed him to blue kryptonite, then beat him to death with a crowbar in his prison cell. Power Ring got disarmed and then shot in the head. They had to use a nuke on Superwoman. We don't call it the Decapitation because the heads survived."

"Okay, but if President Wilson hates the Syndicate that much… Why didn't he do anything about the rest of you?"

"Putting something like that together takes time. And by then, Made Men had already started killing each other so he figured he didn't need to."

My blue counterpart didn't mention that, but I suppose that it makes sense.

Zatanna blinks in surprise. "What? Why?"

"Because they're supervillains. None of them have any higher ideology than their own preservation and enrichment. The moment the Management were no longer around to referee, they reverted to type."

"A little harsh… Blue and Ultraboy kept the Team alive, Jimmy Olsen took charge of Ultraman's people… But mostly true. Things really got going about… Oooh… Three weeks later? Pretty much died off now. A few bright young things tried to set themselves up as the new Management, but everyone else was just fighting over territory. Thanks to the Don, things in New York were pretty calm, but everywhere else was a mess."

"Tragic."

"It was for everyone who lived there." Zatanna frowns. "What, you think they're keeping it in the family? Wow, you really aren't Zorina, are you? People die in the crossfire, people die being in the right place at the wrong time. Having interests that conflict with the new kings and queens of the hill. Being anywhere near the more aggressive Made Men, now Owlman isn't around with the super sedatives. Or by thinking that they can actually arrest us now that the top bosses are pushing up daisies and not getting that we aren't any physically weaker."

"Did anyone come after you?"

"Oh, phsss, I was an old man, they didn't care about me. And the Syndicate members who did respected me enough to leave me alone. Think Olympia here got a few new notches on her spear though."

Her hands ball into fists, her face twisting in anger. "It took the combined might of the Hellenic peoples to force the Amazons from Greece and they dared to think that-."

Mr Scott reaches behind him and puts his right hand on her left arm. She flinches, and then calms.

"There were a lot of bodies on the floor before anyone really got into position to organise anything. The surviving Justice Underground members -like Q-Ranger- got out almost immediately, which meant they could actually fight us without needing to have a whole battalion on hand. Blue was instrumental in holding things together. That's why him not being here is.. such a pain."

"What precisely do you need me to do?"

"Talk our guys and their guys into accepting something we can all live with. Thought it was gonna be an easy sell, then Wilson started up again and it's thrown everything out. Folks are getting skittish. Be nice if you could find out what was going on in the White House, check that Luthor's planning what we think he's planning."

"And what resources do I have? What authority do I have?"

He shrugs. "You're my main guy's younger brother. Folks know you're speaking for me and him both. You can't order us to hand ourselves over to the Feds, because that's not gonna fly with anyone."

"Can I include the summary execution of Made Men in my plan? The truly monstrous ones?"

He raises his eyebrows slightly. "Not an easy sell. Most of the people you're thinking about aren't actually Made Men. We liquidated a lot of our 'living weapons' so's Doctor Chaos couldn't use them."

"Still…"

"I'm not taking anything off the table, but you'd better have a good pitch to go with it."

"Right. We'll need you to show me the exit so we can confirm any of what you've just told me, then we'll get to work." Hm. "Actually, are the parts of the Syndicate you're in control of doing anything right now that President Wilson might find particularly objectionable?"

"Sure, everything. But if you're talking about stand-out objectionable… Yeah, one thing comes to mind."

"Then I'm probably going to need you to stop doing that right away. What is it?"

Last edited: Jun 29, 2019
  10. Queshire

Queshire Not too sore, are you?

Oh, that's what the decapitation was. That... That makes sense since they were the heads and all. For some reason I thought it was something like Ultraman actually losing his head or something.

11. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

That's not what he meant!

Awwwwkward.

Trust, but Verify.

Interesting way to look at them.

"The Justice League. Not the one from your universe.

Sounds like someone's holding a little grudge.

Heh, 'President Badass' was probably a meme for a while there.

It's a running theme in Justice League operations, I note.

Messy.

Much like they would on OL's Earth. Or Raul's. Or AGL's.

"It was for everyone who lived there."

She is just a kid, regardless of what she's seen... She naturally hopes for the best.

Hmm, hint of a relationship?

Finally, we get to what they want.

And his 'End justifies the Means' method kicks in.

"I'm not taking anything off the table, but you'd better have a good pitch to go with it."

Oh, boy, here we go...

I get the feeling it's not something they can just stop. Things might get a bit tense, I think.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
  12. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

sixteen-year-old girl..?

Not the one from your universe.

Marines should be capitalized

13. Slayer Anderson

Slayer Anderson Orthodox Heretic

...you know, I kind of want to see Paul almost-destroy another Justice League through a well-planned speech.

It was just so satisfying last time.

14. FreeGod

FreeGod If you see a God on the road fuck it!

I think that only people in the military do that.

Chirox likes this.
  15. Rebu

Rebu hey, little Anna, you're the one

Seems to me he'd call them "knockoffs" instead.

Lokpik likes this.
  16. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

Would a nuke actually work on Superwoman/any of the Marvels? Maybe I’m just biased towards magic but I’m not sure it would. I didn’t read Kingdom Cone but I believe their Captain Marvel faced a nuke at some point, though I don’t know the outcome.

17. FreeGod

FreeGod If you see a God on the road fuck it!

I like how they seem to know trust Paul enough that they are basically willing to just give the show over to him after kidnapping them. Interestingly it actually is unlikely to be misplaced trust. Paul is somewhat perdicatable like that. If anything orange Paul is likely even more likely to go along with something like this then blue Paul.
    No reason that they couldn't cut the nuke with something extra.

18. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

I mean... Paul could try... But Earth 16 is the mentally well adjusted "speeches written by Emmy award winners" Justice League.

So Paul would be more then a bit outclassed.

19. Ganurath

Ah, but it was the local versions that were knocked off.

20. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Somehow, I utterly fail to feel any sympathy with the Syndicate.

21. david15

david15 Not too sore, are you?

He died it killed him instantly, the only pice left of him was part of his cape

22. Slayer Anderson

The problem is that, as pointed out, the JL of Earth 16 doesn't practice what it preaches. They very much do tend to 'righteously face-punch' a problem, then leave without considering the consequences of their actions. They can be as eloquent as they want, but the point stands that they don't properly see the knock-on effects of their 'solutions.'

23. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.

24. Buggy123

Buggy123 I trust you know where the happy button is?

Can someone link us to one of these speeches? My interest has been piqued; I had no idea that the old JL cartoon had really good writers behind it.

25. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

No... That was just Paul being wrong... Because the JLAU Justice League very much practices what it preaches.

26. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

He died, that was the outcome.

However in this case I'm not sure how valid the comparisons are.

Zoat had the Supers family enchanted by someone else (Chaos Lord Oggar), who I imagine made deals with different entities to empower the Supers family.

Of course the comics tend to ignore all that, I don't recall Mary Marvel, Black Adam, and Captain Marvel being given different power levels despite the different divine patrons.

Mary was empowered by Selene for grace, Hippolyta for strength, Ariadne (later changed to Artemis, Greek goddess of the hunt) for skill, Zephyrus for fleetness (and flight), Aurora (later changed to Greek goddess Aphrodite) for beauty and Minerva for wisdom, instead of sharing Billy's patrons for a while.

Although in Trials of Shazam Atlas got whacked so he got the patronage of Apollo to get his healing as a replacement for Atlas' stamina.

27. Slayer Anderson

In the moment of crisis, yes. Afterwards, when they need to do more legwork and properly clean up the secondary crises they directly cause, not so much.

28. thebishop8

thebishop8 Umm, ackchyually...

People have already asked why Paul doesn't just contact Baul with his ring, but...

Why does Capo Scott think that contacting them is tricky when he could contact them with his own ring? Is it possible he doesn't know he can do that, or is there a different reason we don't know?

Bramble Thorn, Ardy, Cuchulin and 4 others like this.
  29. BR549

BR549 This is filth! FILTH!!

I assume you mean Earth 12.

Prince Charon and Vorian like this.
  30. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

Are they from Earth 12 though? They’re definitely not from -12, and the world they’re from is never specified, just that it’s not 16