1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Enochi

Enochi Having way to much fun with AI.

Can we go back to Grayven soon. The more focus there is on Paul the more I hate him. And given that he is the author that doesn't say good things about him imo.

Edit: Or least have him face a Non-nerfed justice league from the comics. That would kick his teeth in real quick and might actually give him some character growth. Cause right now I can tell you/he has a swelled head that moons could orbit.

2. Slayer Anderson

Slayer Anderson Orthodox Heretic

Well, the Young Offenders are certainly going to be impressed. He just solo'd the entire team of superheroes who took down Old Management at the height of their power.

...better not let Ultra Boy at Superman anytime soon, though. That would probably end badly. Still, I can see this kind of causing even New Management to realize they've got the tiger by the tail with OL.

3. TheLunarwolf

TheLunarwolf Making the rounds.

And who are you?

4. Valint

Valint I trust you know where the happy button is?

... I mean, he's not wrong.

So, Paul's powerful enough that he can trivially take down the Justice League, but it's not possible for him to actually wrap up the Crime Syndicate without collateral damage? He just doesn't give a fuck about this world, so he can't be arsed to power up enough to deal with it?

I'm still having difficulty with why Paul's on the Crime Syndicate's side here. The kind of mindset he wants the heroes to adopt seems like the same kind of mindset that's okay with Nabu (because shutting him down is a messy complicated situation that might cause collateral damage), and we know how he felt about that... or maybe that was just because it was someone he knew, and his righteous rage was just a front?

5. Enochi

A long time reader who consider this to have jumped the shark.

I agree with all your points. I hope this chapter is setting up Paul for a fall. Cause he really needs to be bitched slaped multiple times.

6. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Someone planning and preparing to take out the Justice League?

7. X18999

X18999 Getting some practice in, huh?

Paul on Earth-16 and Paul Anywhere Else are do things completely differently... one plays nice for the League and his friends and the other would be hated by the League and his friends.

WargWolf, erebus1994, w34v3r and 3 others like this.
  8. hance1986

hance1986 A pitiful excuse for a man.

No he didn't Paul took down the Justice League cartoon Leaguers. The ones who helped take down the Old Management were a Justice League variant for the Crisis on Two Earths movie.

[​IMG]
    These guys took down the Syndicate.

[​IMG]
    These guys were what Talon pulled in. And I have nothing but love in my heart for the DCAU, but the DCAU is a hero universe where the edges are a bit soft. Paul has interacted with Earth-16 variants of all these heroes. Knows their strengths and weaknesses. Hell, he took them out non-lethally! Is that not the height of skill?

Paul spent a year building up skill and talent and resources from the start through to the fight against Oceanus through to taking on Nabu. Then went out into the wider galaxy for space adventures and has been on and off Earth on more missions and events that become more complicated.

I would actually like some exposition kind of work here. Maybe the DCAU Wonder Woman is actually intrigued on how her band of heroes could be taken out by one unknown like OL leading into Paul talking a bit on how he gets on with Earth-16 Diana and any changes he brought to Themyscira. Paul, a man, being a citizen of her island and on good terms with a version of Hippolyta? I'd like to read that reaction.

EDIT: As for the guy earlier saying how this chapter was Mary Sue? During the fight on the Watchtower when Klarion, Captain Nazi, and Wolf Krieger were the targets, Paul held his own against a mind controlled Justice League. It's where he got his second power ring by assimilating John Stewart's. So Paul holding his own against the League is not without precedent.

9. helios

helios Praise the Sun!

To be completely fair here, the universe 12 League were ambushed. Ambushed with pre-planned take-down methods that bare a certain amount of similarity to the plans Batman is generally portrayed as using as contingencies.

When you know a given group's weaknesses, have those weaknesses on hand, and have the ability to quickly deploy them and can accelerate your own thoughts... it's not that surprising.

The League's best chance of victory here was the Flash being on the ball, which with as goofy and distractable as this one is? Doesn't actually seem all that likely.

On the other hand, he isn't in a position to ambush the Crime Syndicate leadership in a moment where they have their guard down. They're too paranoid. He took down the Justice League because he ambushed them with known good weakness exploits when they were expecting to walk into a room with an ally who had called them there.

boo600, Drode, WargWolf and 38 others like this.
  10. Enochi

I'm mean lets face it. You, the author has made your avatar have the most powerful ring and able to tap into almost all the comic book continuum for weapons, materials, and resources... while facing some of the most nerf-ed versions of the JLA. This right here as a chapter was you just jacking off onto the page. Its disgusting and shameful cause you have done better then this and should do better then this.

drasteed likes this.
  11. hance1986

hance1986 A pitiful excuse for a man.

shoudl be ' Flash '

Cuchulin likes this.
  12. Viterbi

Viterbi Not too sore, are you?

This looks like lol op, but on top of all the narrative build-up, the scenario itself was a once-in-a-lifetime alignment of the stars for OL:
    • People OL was prepared for and had practiced against extensively
    • They had no idea who OL was
    • They had been dropped into a totally unknown situation and weren't ready for a fight
    • OL was familiar with the situation and could act without having to gather any information
    • The parallel's equivalents were already out of the game so OL didn't have to hide any relevant capabilities and could immediately deploy trump cards
    • All of them in one place at one time so they couldn't spread out and force OL to split his attention defending multiple objectives
    • They were in a confined space so they couldn't spread out to buy time to learn about OL and devise countermeasures
    And probably a dozen more things I'm forgetting about. That was the best possible fight OL could have asked for and he's never going to get an opportunity like that again.

edit: As for "Why can't OL use this OP-ness to resolve the other major problem this arc presents"... It's that one about forcing OL to split his attention. If a single one of the Justice Leaguers had landed in the next room over OL would've had a much harder time or maybe even lost; they'd have been able to spread out, buy time, maybe escape entirely, and then force OL to take fork after fork after fork because they can be in two places at once and he can't. Now multiply that by an entire national government or comparable geopolitical entity.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
  13. Topher876

Topher876 I trust you know where the happy button is?

I feel like the best policy here really is honesty. The Justice League would have some serious qualms with arresting The Syndicate if they were aware of the summary execution and blood vengeance mentality of the Wilson administration, and with the alternative being Lex Luthor the credibility of the government would be really thin with them.

14. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

And straight to panic combat. At least the 'let's you and him fight' part is getting done with quick!

Not sure the twin 'unarmoured' works too well... Perhaps reword it to avoid repetition?

Heck, even some versions of Batman do it.

Not for lack of trying, I bet...

Superman is trying to regain his feet, right hand smeared with blood as he cautiously probes where my construct hit.

...Ouch. You better put that finger back on later. Props to Stewart for apparently shrugging off losing a finger though.

Jerkass has a point. A very good point.

Dude, not so grumpy. He's offering to fix it.

And he gets the quick and painful version. Should've been polite.

And now you feel like a right bastard, don't you?

He has a point. I can get the panic assault, but...

I'm guessing he noticed the different Flash?

Not making the best first impression, especially after the lucky curbstomping...

Okay, I can see the complaints about the ease with which he took them down... And the arguments for and against. Let's go with 'Power ring plus prep-time plus surprise round,' shall we?

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
  15. helios

helios Praise the Sun!

Just so I can properly gauge your feelings on the matter, how do you feel about Justice League: Doom?

16. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

That brings up one question: Where's Batman?

17. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

The repetition here is intentional as he sees it as a recurring mistake they're all making.

18. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

How does Paul know Earth 12 = Justice League Animated Series?

19. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

It's not like Paul literally did a review where he found out the strengths and weaknesses of all league members or anything, or that he has access to the tools required to take them down.

Let me just execute some children that have committed that we know off theft, assault and possibly (but not certainly) murder (with the exception of lamprey, who we know is a cannibal) now I don't have a problem with that but pauls a bit more bleeding heart. For those that doubt me remember Slade has selling apples to the syndicate as a capital offence (death penalty according to blue Paul)
    EDIT: I may be misremembering capital offence I know it was aiding and abetting but my memory isn't the best

EDIT:
    Because zoat did presumably remembered it from an episode because of his perfect memory

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
  20. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

Man, people complain both about Paul failing (remember, the dragon), and about people being able to succeed when prepared... really?

21. Radiant Knight

Radiant Knight Phoenix Fire

It's funny that you use that terminology with your usertag.

22. l---erddad---l

l---erddad---l Wait, google can see this?

Point of order: his big weakness, magic, just so happens to be the Syndicate's biggest strength. That doesn't necessarily mean that I'm saying he's doing the right thing, but the difference between taking down the league and taking down the syndicate is that if he misses any peripheral members, there are good chances they could start busting out city-destroying weapons.

DiceArt, Caerwen, protoss16 and 10 others like this.
  23. helios

helios Praise the Sun!

Part of his meta knowledge. He's referred to them as that at least since the time he gave the presentation on the Watchtower.

24. Gladiusone

Gladiusone Well worn.

Damn, I was just about to ask that ...

timeForced, Gilhelmi, DiceArt and 4 others like this.
  25. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

He said he’s a fan out of universe.

Cuchulin likes this.
  26. Slayer Anderson

Slayer Anderson Orthodox Heretic

Hm... I suppose I was under the misconception that they were supposed to be the same JL and they'd just swapped in a different active-duty GL for the movie.
    If the story for this arc/episode were about defeating a Justice League lineup, then I'd agree with you, but it's not.

The point of this arc is trying to negotiate a proper ceasefire and return to normalcy on negative fourteen's earth. Actually having a higher-powered Justice League step in would actually exacerbate the situation into all-out warfare and leave bodies in the streets. It would be counterproductive to the plot.
    God, I hate it when people forget basic characterization. Okay, so OL Paul has a soul primarily forged out of orange light. That means a huge function of what he can/wants to do is a matter of how much he cares about a given subject. In the beginning of this arc, he was about to try to go to the heroes and jump ship back to his own earth simply because this universe isn't his problem. He can't do everything in every world and fix all the problems. The only reason he's here is because of his BL counterpart and the fact that he feels a little attachment to the Young Offenders as a function of his own team's parallels.

Corollary to why he isn't ripping the Syndicate apart right now, too. He can't spare the years of effort, if not decades that it would take to destroy the Syndicate and then rebuild society. It's not his world, he has other problems to deal with, and he doesn't want to put in a half-measure that just makes everyone's lives worse by going in with heroic face-punching like he's accused his own Justice League of numerous times. The only reasonable fix for the situation that he can actually do in the limited time he has available to him is get a truce called, get things to deescalate, and maybe in ten years when a large swath of Made Men aren't toting around WMDs, the authorities can make a more concerted effort to root out the problem. Or the Made Men will be so involved with running countries of their own that they won't have time for as much organized crime and the world will slowly get better without a massive war.

Edit: TL;DR: Paul doesn't have the time to dedicate to properly un-fucking this clusterfuck and doesn't intrinsically care enough about this world to make the time for it, so he's trying to design a solution that will, hopefully, give people enough time to rationally make choices that won't destroy a huge part of society.

27. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

He Ninja’d you to Batman?

Gilhelmi and Gladiusone like this.
  28. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

I think Mr Zoat might have said in an earlier post that in the continuity of this fic, it was indeed the Earth 12 JL that took down the Old Management, but I'm not sure, which is why I'm trying to tag him in this post.

29. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

I am massively disappointed in you as a writer for nerfing the Animated Universe Justice League just to make your SI look good Mister Zoat.

Except everything Paul did this chapter has been shown in the JLAU verse not to work on those particular members of the Justice League.

Gold Kryptonite - Doesn't effect JLAU Superman
    Cold Gun - Doesn't effect JLAU Flash's speed.
    Spatial Crumbling tech - Doesn't effect JLAU Green Lantern Constructs.
    Constructs - Are disrupted with any contact with Thanagarian Nth Metal Weaponry
    Vertigo Tech - Doesn't effect JLAU Thanagarians
    Phase Disruption Tech and Psi Disruption Tech - JLAU Martian Manhunter trained himself to resist both.

You forgot how he heavily nerfed the powers and abilities of the Animated Universe Justice League from their actual on screen showings just so Paul would be able to beat them.

drasteed, Enochi and Cuchulin like this.
  30. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

I'm gonna laugh so loud if Batman 12 kicks pauls teeth in

Gilhelmi, Caerwen, Ardy and 3 others like this.