1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Buggy123

Buggy123 I trust you know where the happy button is?

Not necessarily a whole planet. For instance OL can forge lanterns on his own, and he did so once as a demonstration.

Granted, that was on Maltus, which might qualify as a planet's word of Avarice.

2. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Paul will snap and use his limit move.

"That's IT! CAKETIME!"

3. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

And when a decade later they have fortified the place and are now using it as a base to invade and conquer other countries with a full blown army?

Because that's what's going to happen.

You quite literally had an example of this on Earth 16 with Queen Bee and Bialya.

I mean... He could try... But Luthor isn't acting worried yet, which should really worry Paul since it likely means Luthor has three or four trump cards just waiting in the wings to deal with him.

4. Istaran

Istaran Know what you're doing yet?

And in other news, Washington DC was crushed under a giant cake. There were no survivors.
    Cleanup crews reported that it was "the most delicious thing we have ever tasted," but warned that lab tests show it contains no preservatives, and is likely to rot fairly quickly and spectacularly.

5. EvenMaster80

EvenMaster80 Shredder of Opposition -x-

I can sorta agree with you on that point, dumping a bunch of supervillains in a third-world country would probably not go over very well. But not just for the reason you presented.

The Syndicate should have no interest in taking over an impoverished country because of the fact they don’t even know how to run one. We see an example of this on the same Earth when the Crime Lodge failed to keep New York.

These guys are superpowered criminals, not exactly the kind of people who know how to build nations and feed the people. Even if they didn’t try to take direct control and stuck to crime, the local people and nations would still probably work together to attempt push out the Syndicate, which is happened in the US. Also, I don’t feel like the Syndicate would be content with a nation that’d barely have running water and would probably overstep their boundaries, which would restart the open warfare.

Sending the Syndicate elsewhere isn’t a long term solution. They need to be dismantled as a group and every individual criminal should face appropriate punishment.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2019
  6. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

A big problem is that the US doesn't want to just dismantle the Syndicate. It wants to completely demolish it, whatever it takes. Paul isn't trying to find a long-term solution. He's trying to avoid turning the US into a wasteland full of millions of corpses. He just wants to do that minimum so he can get out of dodge. Unfortunately for him, neither side wants to back down, so MAD it is.

Wheenesss, Cuchulin, Ardy and 2 others like this.
  7. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Palaces in third world countries generally have running water. Even at the Syndicate's peak there weren't that many Made Men. They won't be hurting for amenities or targets, and there are enough of them who do know how to administer territory that they will be able to create something functional.

8. Soul Shocker

Soul Shocker Not too sore, are you?

Fuck this shit, kill them all

Gantradies and Buggy123 like this.
  9. Yog

Yog Know what you're doing yet?

To be fair, same goes for Paul too, as far as trump cards go. Luthor has never faced an orange lantern before. Blue Paul may wield Hope ring, but he always operated on a very limited power budget. Paul still has to reveal all the higher tier orange light manipulation abilities. Branding, assimilation, energy absorption, avarice denial, etc, culminating with 'It's happy fun snek time". He is yet to reveal most of the technological capabilities of his equipment - his power armor should be sufficient to deal with everyone here by itself. Paul still isn't tapping into his full bag of tricks. Nowhere close, really.

10. Maxx Crowley

Maxx Crowley I trust you know where the happy button is?

Because if you don't have the strength to do anything, why should anyone listen to you?

11. Queshire

Queshire Not too sore, are you?

I like this Luthor. His grab bag of tricks reminds me of OL. Makes me wonder if Blue tried reaching out to him like OL did his? Oh, if this is some plot between Blue and Luthor meant to end up with Blue in charge of a gutted Crime Syndicate that'd be great. >= ]

Drode, w34v3r, Cuchulin and 6 others like this.
  12. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

I had not considered that one. Interesting idea. Not sure how likely it is, but interesting.

Drode, w34v3r, Cuchulin and 1 other person like this.
  13. EvenMaster80

EvenMaster80 Shredder of Opposition -x-

I get that Paul’s just trying to find a quick fix that would work so that a long term fix can be applied later when hostilities have cooled. But this fix is irresponsible and should be undesirable for both sides.

Ideally, he should be able to mediate a better possible agreement between both sides, but today just isn’t his day.

I can see people like the Zatara’s living on isolated compounds but that’s not what I gathered from his statement. What Paul proposed was just to exile in some unfortunate third-world country and hope nothing could get worse. But the thing is, it always gets worse.

The Made Men could make a good living for themselves in any place, but not for the hundreds of thousands of inhabitants of the country they decide to sieze control of. They’re not saints and are used to ruling through fear, which generally doesn’t work too well for a civilian organizations. Yes, dictatorships are functional, but one lead by foreign supervillains would inevitably lead to even more internal strife and that generally doesn’t mix well with WMDs.

Cuchulin and hance1986 like this.
  14. Prince Charon

A good compromise leaves everyone equally angry. Sadly, the Government is willing to destroy the country in order to save it.

I'm not sure it would have been an option any day between the Decapitation and Wilson's planned endgame, unless someone killed Wilson first, and maybe not even then.

Cuchulin likes this.
  15. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Which doesn't work too well for civilian organizations from lack of monopoly of force.

Any Made Men that is actually an issue for should be smart enough to take some of their peers who provide that force.

And why exactly must a dictatorship run by a supervillain have more internal strife than other dictatorships?

Bramble Thorn, Cuchulin, Ardy and 2 others like this.
  16. Prince Charon

I guess it depends on how smart the supervillain is, and how much they go with supervillain solutions to practical problems (e. g. The Light's various mad ideas)

Cuchulin likes this.
  17. Mr Zoat

Usually, because any baseline human who became a dictator would have to have some people management skills, while a supervillain could just have force majeured it. But in this case the Syndicate has a command structure run by people with the skills to make reasonably competent dictators.

18. Gantradies

Gantradies Not too sore, are you?

the biggest problem here, is its even WORSE then that-
    Currently this Universe's US doesnt have a Government that gives a single fuck about the nation OR the normal scams/political corruption (yes,yes i know im intractibly cynical about politicians, regardless of universe) to fill their own pockets at everyone elses expense-

literally the only thing the people in control of this worldline's US care about is killing members of the syndicate as violently as possible because they're motivated SOLELY by petty, personal desire for revenge, and either by nature, or from trauma, they are seemingly psychologically incapable of caring about innocent casulties- the biggest, quickest, simplest thing OL could do to stabilize the situation after gaining a means to leave woudl be to brand/perminently alter the desires of Slade and his Goons, or just simply decapitate the government -the resulting chaos would still be better then the (literal) fallout of letting the psychotic idiot start a nation-scale apocalypse.

19. Simonbob

Simonbob Really? You don't say.

Or kill the Syndicate himself.

I'd say they're about as easy as the other, at this point.

Personaly? I think he should take Zatana and the Justice League, force a TV broadcast explaning the sitch, then go home.

Prince Charon, Cuchulin and Ngamer11 like this.
  20. CTrees

CTrees Chasing the ring

Brand?
    That's more concerning. High tier DC mages are pretty bullshit, so... Relativistic sniping? Not sure what non-lethal options there are for her, without the Ophidian.

Prince Charon likes this.
  21. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

That would be an interesting outcome. I'm also suspicious of the "heavy collar" Luthor is wearing. Is it possible that it is booby trapped, forcing him to go along with the radicals?

22. SirKaid

SirKaid Know what you're doing yet?

The only way that the Syndicate can face appropriate punishment is if they're outside of the USA. Current US policy is to execute them all without even a pretence of a trial.

Moreover, if they remain in the USA millions of innocent people will die in the crossfire. History has shown that, in cases where a civil war can't be reasonably solved via force of arms, the only solution is to allow the weaker side to peacefully disarm and reintegrate with a conditional pardon. The alternative is chaos, suffering, and death.

Prince Charon, w34v3r and Cuchulin like this.
  23. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

I might be misremembering, but I think Mr Zoat said in a previous thread that although the Spectre will not appear in the main universe, he will show up on Earth -14. I hope that if he does show up, he doesn't go to overboard with punishing the guilty., or else America -14 will go the way of Vlatava, i.e. The death of everyone in the country except for the leaders of both sides.

Edit: If someone can find it, can you please post a link here. I'd like to read it again.

Cuchulin likes this.
  24. PDV

PDV Revelation That Uncertainty Is Itself An Answer

Luthor's usually the tech genius on his team, and while Quizmaster/Riddler is smarter he's not an inventor in most incarnations. (The only ones I remember where tech is part of his schtick are the Batman Forever incarnation and the hacker version from The Batman.) So that's unlikely.

Prince Charon and Cuchulin like this.
  25. Eponymic

Eponymic Getting sticky.

Mind controlling the populace into submission should not be your go-to option, and it disturbs me how many people seem to be taking the 'might equals right' side. OL came into an emotionally charged war zone full of people ideologically attached to their positions, it shouldn't be a surprise that simple conversation isn't enough to fix this, but overwriting the wills of all involved isn't how you achieve the victory you're looking for, that's just a different kind of punching the problem.

What would happen when OL left if he did that?

It would surprise me if he could even want that enough to make it happen.

26. Mr Zoat

I don't remember saying that. I strongly dislike the Spectre as a character, and would only write him in a setting he was canonically part of. And even then, only if there was no way to avoid it.

27. Lazurman

Lazurman That Others May Fap

It is not, in fact, his go-to option. I'm fairly sure it's his option of last resort. He has tried, is still trying diplomacy, and it is failing. The two sides hold positions that are completely and utterly irreconcilable. Namely, the government wants to turbomurderfuck the Syndicate to death for being such a colossal collective of cunts, and the Syndicate wants to not fucking die, which is what will happen if they try surrendering.

How do you reconcile the irreconcilable? You can't. Short of uprooting the entire Syndicate and taking them off-world and marooning them on some habitable planet far away from Earth, I can't see a peaceful solution.

Thus, the mind control. And it is permanent, or can be made such. Remember what he did to the guy in charge of Hell? Reshape their wants until they no longer want to be such gigantic jackasses to each other. Juuust requires him to channel Best Snek and not go coocoo for Cocoa Puffs again.

28. Soul Shocker

Soul Shocker Not too sore, are you?

Personally I prefer killing the Wilson gang myself

29. Gantradies

Gantradies Not too sore, are you?

Oh greaaaaat. That’s just what earth -14 needs! THAT lunatic running around turning people into chairs and woodchipping them!

... the more you think about it, the more fucked up the old comics code becomes *shudders*

huh. And created based off a physiological impact study that was fabricated from top to bottom by a single crooked researcher too, according to tvtropes o.o

30. dxdragon

dxdragon Experienced.

Ok Zoat, Paul should just jump straight to plan q and "Summon Ophidian".
    This earth is just too much bullshit, and all the conflicting sides, no one wanting to talk things out, and the possibility of the JL and Batman interrupting his plans is just too much of a hassle.

Step 1: Summon Snake.
    Step 2: Mind control everyone, get all relevant info, and any hidden plans revealed.
    Step 3: Fix things.
    Step 3.5: Could always just send Syndicate to another planet. One that is ruled by a warlord or something, so that they can't make it worse.
    Step 4: Wash hands with everything else. Go home.

*optimistic me*: step 5: kiss Zatanna.

Simonbob and protoss16 like this.