1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

All of Eternity at Your Fingertips (Concept thread)

Discussion in 'CW Index' started by Dragon God, Jul 14, 2019.

?

Are you interested in this quest?

Poll closed Jul 28, 2019.
  1. I am interested in playing/reading this quest

71.4%
  2. I am interested in running this quest

4.8%
  3. I am not interested in this quest

23.8%
  1. Dragon God

Dragon God Verified Rapist

In case this isn't obvious from the title, this quest is directly inspired by Cambrian's fic "All of Eternity at My Fingertips" (AEMF), infact, it may even be considered an AEMF fanfic. This quest is intended to be what I wished AEMF was. I would outline my major gripes with AEMF below, explain them, how I think it could be rectified, and why I think a quest is an ideal vehicle for this.
    • Vali was playing on uber easy mode.
    • Vali wasn't as competent as he should have been.
    Vali Was Playing on Uber Easy Mode
    All in all, AEMF was kind of boring. There was no tension, Vali was just curbstomping everyone and everything, and it killed the excitement as there wasn't a sense that Vali could fail. The conflict was without stakes as we knew that Vali was almost certain to succeed.
    To be honest, just leaving Vali as an Original vampire was already broken enough, adding the hybrid part was totally unnecessary and made the story worse, as it made Vali even more overpowered and drained yet more of the story's tension.
    Honestly, if there's anything I've learned from this, it's that if writing a Vampire Diaries self insert, the SI shouldn't be an Original. Watching a normal Vampire munchkin their way to world domination (while avoiding the ire of The Originals) is so much more satisfying than watching an Original hybrid do the same. Especially seeing as so far Vali hasn't exactly been very competent. Vali was playing on Uber easy mode and it didn't make for an exciting story.

Vali Wasn't as Competent as He Should Have Been
    There were far too many opportunities for Vali to exploit that he didn't, advantages he could have taken advantage of — that any Original Vampire self insert with meta knowledge would have taken advantage of — the he left unused. This combined to paint an image of Vali being less competent than he was supposed to be, and combined with uber easy mode made the story less exciting overall.
    The author generally answered such concerns by pointing out that Vali wasn't infallible or a genius, and that they didn't think of those exploits. My response:
    That said, I empathise with the author's plight. It may not be feasible to devote enough thought to the fic to accurately simulate all the thought that Vali would have put in. The author can't accurately replicate Vali's munchkinry, because the author wouldn't spend anywhere near as much time puzzling out how Vali would solve a problem as Vali would. Because of the above limitation, I decided that this kind of fic may be better written as a quest, so that the munchkinry and strategising can be offloaded onto a hive mind which would be better able to simulate the amount of thought a very old vampire would put into world domination.

~~~

Proposed Details for the Quest
    • Goal is world domination.
      • I'm not going to specify what a victory condition looks like except that the questmasters would decide it based on common sense (e.g leading an empire that encompasses the whole world counts as a win, leading the US as current does not).
    • MC doesn't start out as an Original.
      • While that would make the Quest easier, it would make it much less *fun* (which is all that matters in the end).
    • Time of MC's birth is dependent on audience vote.
      • The younger the MC, the harder the difficulty.
    • MC's backstory and who turned them is dependent on audience vote.

~~~

Now that I've explained why I want the above quest, I am looking for people who would corun the quest with me. I have never run a quest before, and I'm not much of a writer. Furthermore, I have only flimsy memories of a few episodes of The Vampire Diaries and a season of The Originals, so I'd appreciate assistance from those versed in canon. I'm not much of a history buff either, and I would be massively out of my depth handling many of the historical events the quest might cover (or the resultant butterflies).

Honestly speaking, I'm far from the right person to do it, but this is something I want to see happen, and it appears that the most likely way for it to occur is if I do it myself. Nothing would make me happier if more experienced questmasters decided to take this off my hands.

I'll probably create a convo with those who indicated interest in running this quest within 48 hours.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2019
  2. DariusBlack

DariusBlack Invictus (Verified Cape)

So, I'm not much of a writer either. But I'm willing to do research on time periods for historical data and do editing, if it will help? I'm interested in seeing where this goes. As a side note, while All of Eternity is the fanfic that lead me to this site, I'm not actually that versed in the Canon materials. So, if I end up helping, I'll probably end up doing a lot of research on that as well. Keep me posted?

Dragon God likes this.
  3. Dragon God

Dragon God Verified Rapist

Sure, will do.

4. Scourge

Scourge Your first time is always over so quickly, isn't it?

I think this could be pretty interesting. I think the road to world domination would lie in a mix of witch magic and compulsion, and honestly I think we can do this without being capital Evil.

I vote for us starting with very little, as those stories are the most personally compelling to me. Perhaps with a compulsion from our master that we have to circumvent?

Locate a wealthy person close to death and make a compulsion to give you their fortune after death. Do this a few times and we now have a sizable sum to work with. Spend the money to buy stakes in some big companies so we can A) continue growing our power and B) control decisions. We can then hire investigators to research the occult which hopefully will lead us to witches. Then we want to hire scientific researchers to understand witch magic until we can use it to fight Originals without dying or turn ourselves into something with the same power/stronger as an Original. Or something.

Regardless I'm convinced that the road to power goes through advances in witch magic.

Soulcore and Dragon God like this.