1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Aeess

Aeess I trust you know where the happy button is?

Any developed Lantern Corps will prove useful during the blackest night, there is also the thing about the extreme rings
    (red and violet) being more powerful. And we had it multiple times mentioned that the Green Lantern Corps is limited in its size because there are so few guardians, a problem the Zamaronians wouldnt face since they still breed.

2. TheDudeMan400

TheDudeMan400 Getting out there.

I remember Paul promising a Tamerianian couple he'd vouch for them getting a star sapphire all the way back when. I hope that plot thread gets resolved next arc.

Jaron, Gilhelmi, Drode and 11 others like this.
  3. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Wonder how Dame Carol will feel about the Zamarons of Universe 16 and vice versa? Disappointment or curiosity?

Completely forgot about them. It would be interesting to see Paul help with the founding of another Lantern Corps.

4. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

Creating chaos through the mass production of yandere's who all mysteriously fall in love with paul. *Eris laughes in the background*

5. Doc Sithicus

Doc Sithicus Not too sore, are you?

Sometimes violence remains your last, best hope for peace.

6. Sendral

Sendral Getting some practice in, huh?

While the present role of the Orange Lantern Corps is military because it's what is needed, let us not ignore that they would also make for fine traders, merchants, and advisors when properly experienced; the enkindling and general familiarity with the nature of desire has many potential uses.

By the same token, we can find roles for other Corps by asking the simple questions: what situations evoke their emotion most easily, which can be solved not just by such emotion but by the understanding of it, and what does the light's unique attributes lend itself to?

By way of example, as the Violets are powered by love of all forms, what military area are they best equipped to address? Love provides an urge to protect, much as rage lends itself to vengeance. As such, a role similar to national guard would suit just fine; to protect those people and places they love. The impartiality needed for police work doesn't fit all that well with love unless one can get their agape just right to avoid biasing them, or manage something like a love of law or justice - the same way a Red can focus their attention by hating the very idea of punishing an innocent.

In the "private sector", aside from the romantic roles that spring to mind a Violet also has something of an edge dealing with familial issues, deep bonds of friendship, and broad charitable situations. The focus on personal investment makes for an interesting contrast; while the Indigo is well-suited to charity and the Blue to issues of morale and the associated, a Violet would be best at forging, untangling, or otherwise addressing deeper bonds. Counseling stands out as a place they could excel with less violent abilities, and being able to detect love and the type thereof would also allow them to identify troubled individuals and to a lesser extent conflicts of interest.

The unique ability of their light (in this story) is of relatively little ethical use in the full-on "make them Sapphires" version (and the Indigos arguably do it better), but the ability to manifest durable crystal may make them useful in construction and defense - moreso the longer they last independent of the generating Lantern and less so the worse the mind-altering effects are. This also assumes having someone with a strong enough emotional connection to their place, people, project, or passion to want it complete.

When it comes to empathic tools, getting the right answer is a matter of asking the right question.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
  7. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Yay! Zamarons will get Caketime next!

Let's get the whole Oan band back together!

8. Katillno

Katillno Verified Nobu fan

Hmm wonder what Sunsets up to and how close she is to figuring out pony ascension

9. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

Probably a bad idea, what with that one prophecy.

10. Sockmonkey

Sockmonkey I trust you know where the happy button is?

Isn't the trigger event for blackest night having active users of each color? Because Atrocious founding the reds is the only one we haven't accounted for in the story yet.

11. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

Vigilantes? Though they fight with love, so Magical Girls? What if they end up only being able to run off of a child’s pure love?

fappingtoyourpost and Cuchulin like this.
  12. Lord Ernest

Lord Ernest At the End...

Well, the cat is out of the bag with Zatanna, I didn't expect her to put it together so relatively swift but I guess it was kind of hitting her in the face. Still disappointed we aren't going to see Blue and Zorina but lets see what's happening with No-charge!Paul in Earth 12!
    What I didn't expect was a sudden visit from Star Sapphire. This smells like... War of Light. I think Sinestro is supposed to not show up in this story or something but at this point, even without Kalmin available to him, it'd be strange if he doesn't decide to develop his Corps as well.

Mr Zoat, some corrections:
    Extraneous word so: 'where it's attached to her back.'

Ah, seems we lost the image of our favorite Granny but unfortunately I don't remember who it was.

Missing full stop.

Not sure on this one, but I believe this should be: 'unable to contact my home planet'?

I think: 'might have been onto something.'

Naming error: 'Glomulus'. (I feel like I corrected this before but you said something about being intentional? Or I might be confusing it with something else, but this one already has an example where the SI got the name right just a couple of segments prior so I don't know).

Not sure on this one, but maybe: 'they can't get their heads around".

For this: 'It swiftly passes as orange flashes around'.

Seems repetitive to me when so close together and being on the same individual, so maybe: 'through his construct and body armour'.

I believe an error in formatting, this has double space.

Not sure on this one either, I think: 'the translator struggles with metaphor.' Or 'the translation struggles with metaphor.'

Reads a bit awkward, maybe: 'A cluster of broccoli-headed locals'.

I think: 'The Dominators' official line'.

Missing full stop.

For this one: 'your effectiveness in combat will be crippled.'

Should be: 'light speed weapons at close range.'

I think: 'the Citadel uses marines for boarding'.

For this: 'The breaching team lift and push forward'.

Naming error: 'Praexis Demons'.

I believe: 'the back of an electronics workshop'.

Missing full stop.

I think: 'and she keeps looking'.

American spelling, so 'center'.

American spelling, so 'defenses'.

13. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

Sinestro has a corps. Or at the very least he had a ring before Hal took him down. Atrocitus probably does not.

Cuchulin likes this.
  14. Lord Ernest

Lord Ernest At the End...

From what I recall, up to this point in the story and from what we know, Sinestro has a Yellow Ring. That's just one for himself and doesn't precisely constitutes a Corps. And he's still at large, he isn't in a Science Cell or anything of the like, in fact Dox was able to communicate with him through his Ring and everything and that may have already given him the idea for a Corps; but we don't know if that's true or if he has done anything.

We don't even know, though I don't think it's likely, if Atrocitus has a Ring; most probably he's still in his special prison on Ysmault (or something of the sorts).

15. Xelloss

Xelloss Know what you're doing yet?

Violence is never the answer. It's the question, and the answer is : yes.

16. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Zoat's suggested that Atrocitus won't be forming a red lantern corps in this story- He hates the Guardians too much to emulate them.

In the comics Sinestro had a yellow ring for years before he got a corps.

The excuse given in the comics was that the Qwardians didn't have enough qwardite to make more rings, this was back when the the rings and lanterns were made of metal. They established that GLC rings were made of oanite metal back in Flash at some point I understand.

Since he did get a corps either the Qwardians found a lot more qwardite, or they were lying to him for some reason. Or DC forgot that there was supposed to be a qwardite shortage.

Jaron, infinityDivided, Drode and 6 others like this.
  17. Chaoswind

Chaoswind Lord of nonsense

Violence without purpose is never the answer.

Alexandercctv and Vorian like this.
  18. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

She has what she believes to be a workable technique, but she'll need to return to Equestria to perform final checks.

19. Inbetweenaction

Inbetweenaction Versed in the lewd.

The lovers?

Diplomats, councilors after disasters and war torn planets.

Provide a base level of resources to help get people back on track.

Defenders of their sectors, drawing on the sectors love to provide security

Help... Repopulate planets with low birth rates

20. Maxx Crowley

Maxx Crowley I trust you know where the happy button is?

Hmn, well I can't say I agree with OL'S actions throughout all of this. But hopefully things work out best for the little people.

Still...as there was no meeting between Orange and Blue, I wouldn't expect this to be the last we hear of -14.

protoss16 likes this.
  21. Tzeentch

Tzeentch I trust you know where the happy button is?

Well, "enemy" might be stretching it. "People Who Don't Trust You" might be more accurate. Still hoping that Justice League winds up on Earth-16 for a while, all things considered.

Bramble Thorn and Alexandercctv like this.
  22. protoss16

protoss16 Know what you're doing yet?

The syndicate would have lost here if enigma displayed concern about the innocent.

Ardy likes this.
  23. Queshire

Queshire Not too sore, are you?

Sometimes that's all it takes.

protoss16 likes this.
  24. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

I wonder if JL 12 will wonder how the counterpart a powerless guy on their Earth could so utterly steamroll them. It's not going to have negative repercussions for Paul 12, will it?

IsActuallyBatman likes this.
  25. Z000

Z000 If this is trash, then find me in the dumpster

huh, wonder what the other ring is made out of then

but with that sort of explanation, Orange get more busted since they could just assimilate some one and then turn them into a ring to make more of themself instead of wasting time finding a specific material to make more ring

26. Citizen

Citizen Well worn.

Is Paul 12 the anti-green lantern?

27. Siskulous

Siskulous Know what you're doing yet?

I see three possibilities with the way they're traditionally written:
    1. Relationship counseling
    2. Running the galaxy's best dating service
    3. (Most likely based on the comics) Crazy-Exes R Us
    I honestly can't see the Sapphires as they're typically written contributing anything useful to the galaxy. If they were more like Dame Carol - which realistically is how they should be if they're actually motivated by love - then things would be a bit different. But they're not typically written that way. Instead they're usually written to be motivated by the type of obsession that stalkers think is love. Frankly, I've always found the traditional Sapphires creepy as hell.

Now if you write them like Dame Carol then a defensive militia becomes a fine possibility. Who'd be better to defend their home than someone with superpowers fueled by their love of their family?

If I recall correctly, Paul 12 is the one who landed in a DCU without a ring or any other powers. Either they'll realize just how powerful he could be and try to get him a ring and recruit him or they'll realize just how powerful he could be and make damn sure he never gets a ring.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
  28. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Actually, he has an orange power ring. He just couldn't find a way to power it. He might be living as a civilian now, unless he found something else he could use, like how Baul supplements his low ring charge with nanotech he got from Mister Pocus.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
  29. Orannis

Orannis I trust you know where the happy button is?

Wait would The Answer not actually be a female in that universe Or did she die to Batman's Butler?

30. NeoDarklight

NeoDarklight The Final Observer

If Paul 12 does indeed have an orange power ring that he simply wasn’t able to charge, then Batman 12 is likely to find out about it if the ring was ever openly used, and then make a connection with the guy who managed to take down their A-Team out of panic.

Ngamer11, Cuchulin, protoss16 and 2 others like this.