1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. BR549

BR549 This is filth! FILTH!!

Not until 2001, however it's part of the DCAU, and the first episode of Batman: The Animated Series aired September 5, 1992.

The last episode aired September 15, 1995, so this is in between the end of B:TAS and the start of Superman: The Animated Series (ep 1 aired September 6, 1996).

2. GhostKing 666

GhostKing 666 Know what you're doing yet?

The Justice League made extensive use of teleporters during the JLU period. Don't think anyone else had access to it but the same could be said of a lot of the Justice League's technology.

3. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

First things first - partner with Dr. Sivana before he becomes a criminal. Your investment will be returned a billion times over.

4. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

A Paul that acts as a benevolent Lex Luthor, or at least the beginnings of one. I’m not sure where in the timeline this is but he could potentially cut off a lot of villains before they even get started by hiring them or something, though that would obviously be more difficult than it sounds. He could work with Bruce Wayne and potentially Lex Luthor if he’s not in the Source Wall yet.
    Given all the hypertechnology lying around, he could convincingly be a superhero of some kind anyway, though I always enjoy non-combatant productivity and competence from any variation of Paul.

Business Paul does have the option of consuming magic for power like Sybarite and I believe Avengers EMH Paul, though it’s hard to keep track of the specific mechanics’ differences. Does the ring only get powered by consuming desire/avarice-related spirits? Sybarite does show he can consume and emulate non-desire spirits like the violence-powered one so I wasn’t sure.

The above does lead me to a tangent about how Renegade really should have figured out using the ring to consume magical energy by now, given his own magic use and frequent interactions with magic-users and researchers. It seems like something he’d have thought of, and the base method doesn’t seem to require Orange Enlightenment since Sybarite can do something similar, and assimilation is both similar in concept and a basic function.

I suppose we’re leading up to an event where the Infinite Pauls and Jades all meet; at least Paragon has the advantage of knowing some of them already via Fool’s Canon. I wonder if it’ll be because of the Anti-Monitor or something else.

Mr Zoat I remember you saying you had plans for Ares; can you give any indication of when we’ll see another episode about the Greek/Roman mythical aspects of the setting? I’d particularly like to see something worked out with Zeus, but other people would be interesting too. I suppose Hera deserves to enjoy her post-divorce vacation but it would be nice to see her helping out in some way, as well as an exploration of her divine attributes, since I think many people just know her as the jealous crazy wife.
    Zatanna seems to have gotten over her anti-Catholic sentiments so my headcanon of her becoming an apprentice of Hecate probably isn’t feasible anymore (and might draw a paranoid Circe’s attention), but there’s still so much you can do with the gods, I’m sure.

On a a last note, I’d say the major drawback of reading this fic is that currently watching Young Justice (and to some extent other comics adaptations) has become quite lackluster, though I do think part of that is just the writing of Season 3, especially with half the dialogue just being blatant exposition, and the outcome of battles being more due to plot contrivance and character incompetence than logic (the conflict in episode 18 is the main one I’m thinking of). I didn’t realize how much I’d enjoy rational deconstruction fics, even after reading the Methods of Rationality, though I’m still trying to balance that with appreciating the more conventional storytelling present in mass media.

5. Lokpik

Lokpik Know what you're doing yet?

If this is the Paul in the justice league unlimited universe then heck there is some really good tech to get. In static shock there is a scientist Dr McDonald who builds tech that manipulates time. It's stolen and someone uses it to essentially become a speedster. Can you imagine using that tech with a forcefields generator of fighter jets, hopefully space capable, using cold gun and other supertech alongside conventional munitions. For civilian level computers processing at superspeed.
    Truly automated defense platforms capable of keeping up with speedsters could be possible.

The gene splicing can actually go pretty good if done with Paul leading it.

We do have 5 dimensional storage nowadays, this could be something I could see Paul doing.

Of course I hope he can help galatea. I'm actually pretty hyped to see the self insert in the earth 12

6. doug89

doug89 Versed in the lewd.

Could be possible. He might be rationing his charge as much as possible, leaving enough to break it into bars and other minor things. He may have a way to charge it, perhaps with ambient emotions. Lots of greed in the banking industry, especially when you sit in front of a banker telling them you have eight hundred tons of platinum.

The price of platinum on that date was $413.50 USD per ounce. That's $14,575.80 USD per kilogram.

At market value that is $11,668,639,200. 11.67 billion dollars. Obviously that it will net him less, but hot damn that's a lot of money sitting in a warehouse. it makes a surprisingly small cube. A volume of 37.30 cubic metres, which is a cube 3.34 metres a side.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
  7. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

I like this paul as much as I want to see renegade again and know what happens with para paul and the star sapphire, let's stick with this one for a bit.

8. gustyeagle

gustyeagle Know what you're doing yet?

He becomes a super criminal in every universe, it was in one of the Dr. Sivana sections earlier.

9. Valiran

Valiran Seeker of fluffiness

Could have gone for Rhenium, that stuff is insanely valuable for high-quality machinery.

Lokpik and hance1986 like this.
  10. Twilight666

Twilight666 I trust you know where the happy button is?

Yorokobe Shounen!!!;)

From the TOC:
    So we will have at least 4 parts of this including today's!!!:):D:p

DAT_NOOB, Lokpik, Ardy and 4 others like this.
  11. Sceptic

Sceptic Critical Irrationalist

Huh, I got $13262.18 per kilogram for that day. Which would be about $10.6 billion.

Lokpik likes this.
  12. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Lokpik likes this.
  13. Buggy123

Buggy123 I trust you know where the happy button is?

For anyone curious, this is the size of a 800-tonne block of platinum:

[​IMG]

It's not actually all that big. After all, platinum is almost as dense as OL's romantic sense.

14. Ganurath

Ganurath Apologizes For Nothing

Lokpik likes this.
  15. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

So the JL 12 returning will find a super rich Paul business magnate?

But...wouldn't that Paul have already uplifted their universe quite a bit by then? Wy didn't have Superman radiation protection for instance?

Lokpik and DrThoth like this.
  16. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Ask me again in three days.

17. iamnuff

iamnuff Connoisseur.

"I respect your patriotism, Mister Wynne, though I am obliged to point out that it will most certainly cost you a great deal of money."

*Laughter begins*

"Yes, well. I suppose that doesn't really matter to you, does it?"

Also, Wynne. Wayne. I geddit. .

18. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

And why exactly would Superman's son by Lashina look like a grain silo with feet with a mullet and a horrible skin disease?

[​IMG]

Look at that, he's cylindrical!

19. Ganurath

Ganurath Apologizes For Nothing

If Darkseid and Suli together make a Kalibak...

Bramble Thorn likes this.
  20. hance1986

hance1986 A pitiful excuse for a man.

I think one of the Paul on Earth 12 pieces might revolve around the DCAU Justice League visiting him or talking about him when they come back from Syndicate Earth and realize they have a British guy who sounds and looks like the Lantern that kicked all their asses.

I also want to see what the animated series Batman thinks of one Lantern taking out the rest of the heavy hitters except for him.

Lokpik, Ardy, Alexandercctv and 3 others like this.
  21. Gantradies

Gantradies Not too sore, are you?

except one-the Social Scientist who haddent snapped (yet)- the poor bastard got kidnapped at blaster-point to be offered a job as a social coach/therapist. he was pretty freaked out about it, from memory..

22. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

True, but this could be a universe outside of those that he can see. A different multiverse, like the Grayven part seems to be. It doesn’t look like the Earth 12 from Paul’s universe is the same as this one, since none of the JLA people recognized him.

Lokpik and infinityDivided like this.
  23. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Hopefully they don't visit him too negatively biased. After meeting the Justice Lords and the Syndicate, they should be more aware of the differences between alternate universe versions of people.

24. Agumentic

Agumentic Not too sore, are you?

They very well might just straight up not know him well, or at all. That Paul has a new name and is a businessman instead of superhero, so they wouldn't immediately remember his face when looking at Earth-16 Paul. And Batman, one person who would be familiar with how Earth-12 Paul looks like, wasn't there.

Lokpik, infinityDivided, Ardy and 3 others like this.
  25. hance1986

hance1986 A pitiful excuse for a man.

Especially since Paragon Paul is not from the Syndicate Earth but a ringer the Syndicate brought in. Paul did tell E-12 Wonder Woman he was on good terms with his own Justice League and regularly sparred with some of his Leaguers.

I still want this whole episode to be something the DCAU Justice League is more thoughtful about than anything. I mean Paragon told J'onn J'onzz that Earth-16 Mars was inhabited and was familiar with a Martian mental technique. He told Superman about a radiation shield to protect against kryptonite. He advised John Stewart to upgrade to body armor.

I mean yeah Paragon's solution was still at cross purposes to theirs. Manhunter tried knocking out Paul when he had a chance, which if successful would have just made this a repeat of the first time the League interfered but with a more violent outcome as the Syndicate would have their backs to the wall.

It might be too optimistic, but I would hope this causes the DCAU League to be more cautious and analytical when it comes to alternate universes. I mean yeah Owlman was a maniac, wanting to blow up a root Earth to destroy all the alternate dimension Earths. He had to go.

But jumping into heroic face punching? I mean how did Talon get them to come a second time to the Syndicate Earth? He just asked? Cause they don't have enough on their plates on Earth-12? What if Paragon had just killed their asses? A universe away from home, defeated by an alternate Lantern on top of his game? I shake my head.

26. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

That Sivana was a physicist, not a social scientist.

27. nick012000

nick012000 Gone for Good

Depends on the version of Sivana. The DC cinematic universe Sivana didn't seem to have any superscience at all, just some magic.

28. SemiSaneAuthor

SemiSaneAuthor Powered by Snark, Spite, and Tea!

I'd like to point out, Earth-12 Paul is going to look different than OL because he's not going to have Ring Immortality. He might have turned back the clock a bit back in 1996 and had some work done by The Ring, but he'll look like an older version of OL.

Prince Charon, Vorian, Lokpik and 4 others like this.
  29. dxdragon

dxdragon Experienced.

I am greatly intrigued by this parallel Paul. I kinda want to follow him for a couple more segments, find out how he uplifts the world. Honestly, I kinda want main timeline Paul to rapidly push through some more changes in the public eye.

I really want to see a meeting of JL 12, and their after action report of what happened.
    Batman suggesting everyone get some gear/learn to fight/improve on their weaknesses.

Followed by a Earth 16's Justice League meeting on Paul meeting and kicking the asses of an alt league in like 10 seconds flat. Wondering how powerful Paul might really be.

DAT_NOOB, Lokpik, Ardy and 1 other person like this.
  30. Chaoswind

Chaoswind Lord of nonsense

Mr Zoat

Thanks for the last minute addition of the PoV of earth 12 Paul.