1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

I also don't own a mobile phone even to this day, so it's fairly unlikely.

2. Tzeentch

Tzeentch I trust you know where the happy button is?

DEFINITELY want to see more of Earth-12 Paul, especially with some catty interactions with Earth-12 Lex Luthor and Bruce Wayne!

Such a pity one of them is too obsessed with taking down Superman, and the other playing superhero, to lift mankind upwards to a Type I to II Civilization already!

3. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    Works for me.
    Thank you, corrected.
    No, I think that's alright.
    Thank you, corrected.
    Not sure what's being corrected here.
    Thank you, corrected.
    No, that's correct.
    Thank you, corrected.

4. infinityDivided

infinityDivided ******** of Doom

You're in luck then, as the next two story posts are both Earth-12.

Tzeentch likes this.
  5. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

I wonder if he could recruit Mad Mod before he goes villainous. He's a British technology genius.

If Peter knows about how social media ended up in the 2010s, he might actually try to combat it. Since he cares about uplifting humanity, creating a machine that exploits the addictive tendencies of human psychology for no productive end might look counterproductive.

He doesn't so much care about being a superhero as it is that he has certain ideas about how the world ought to be, combined with the ability to do something about it. (Which, to be fair, is actually more of a supervillain mindset...) He'd hate himself if he squandered his power and wealth on something meaningless, and "improving the world" is the most meaningful thing he can think of.

Fighting supervillains is... really more just maintenance work in pursuit of that task. Definitely not the goal in and of itself.

6. Mr Zoat

He's a capable chemical engineer, but I couldn't call him a genius.
    Tempting...

7. Tzeentch

Tzeentch I trust you know where the happy button is?

Yay!

If the corporate adventures of Earth-12 Paul get their own extensive chapters like Renegade-Paul/Grayven has, here's hoping we'll see if he has anything planned for Alva Industries and the so-called "Quantum Vapor"...

8. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

Ah, disappointing, he's a lot more capable in the (non-Go) Teen Titans TV universe. (Not sure which universe number that is.)

Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
    Cuchulin and Ardy like this.
  9. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

This is right around the time (after ET but before the NES) when the west nearly collectively quit gaming.

Cuchulin likes this.
  10. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

I think you're off by around 11-13 years...

IsActuallyBatman likes this.
  11. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

Not this one - that’s red Paul’s thing.

Ardy and infinityDivided like this.
  12. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

Yeah, checking it, you’re right. The N64 was released June 23, 1996, while the NES was released in 1983.

13. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

Well, the one Zoat linked to wasn't from this universe either.

14. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

Yes, but I mean red Paul is in the Teen Titans universe.

infinityDivided likes this.
  15. Lord Ernest

Lord Ernest At the End...

The indefinite article, specifically:

So I think this should be: 'Dox looks exceedingly tense for an instant'.

16. Mr Zoat

Ah. Thank you, corrected.

17. Jirachi

Jirachi I trust you know where the happy button is?

Is there any reason why Qwa tech isn't something that Paul has added to his repertoire? It seems like a useful thing, and Kalmin is totally fine with making it for him to use so...
    The Darkstars/(Orange) Lantern Corps/LEGION should probably add a wing (or at least a way to incorporate) weird mutants, science experiments and champions into the force. People like Adam Blake who can fight on the level of a lantern are really useful, and far from *impossible* to find. Plus, they might help allievate Jevek's worries about the reliance on emotional stuff.
    Hell, if Paul can get someone to make (or maybe it already does? *Shrug*) the Garrick formula work for aliens, then it might be possible to have an army of super speed soldiers that could be hugely useful in a ground war, and possibly even in space stuff if the garrrick formula works for flight speed of flying races and they can figure out an enviromental shield that is compatible with that.
    Wonder if Paul plans on sparring with some of the controllers...
    And I really do think Paul needs more of an ear to the ground regarding Controller super weapon projects, or at least ask about strategizing around the assets. The whole *point* of the steering commitee thing is to have a unified front between the different people facing the reach, and the controllers working on super soldier projects against the reach need to be included for the benefits of both parties.

Bramble Thorn, Lord Ernest and Ardy like this.
  18. Needybaby

Needybaby Your first time is always over so quickly, isn't it?

Can you state some business uplift SI? Ran out of good reads...

19. Bramble Thorn

Bramble Thorn Verified Silhouette

I'd assume that if he does end up cultivating a relationship with the inventor of the cosmo rod, he could probably get himself made a personal set of that equipment for personal defense, and just incase he ever gets bitten with the superhero bug (Starman Redux or whatever). Because even though the inventor doesn't want his tech weaponized, he still uses it as a tool/weapon himself when he was a superhero. So not weaponized probably means exploited as a weapon on a large scale, not bespoke personal equipment for righteous face punching related activities, such as being prepared for any super villain kidnapping attempts (because you are a billionaire industrialist patron of super tech).

That is a rather large fuckup. And largely his fault for not investigating the patent trail or promoting native tech before dropping down an outside solution.

20. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

Isn’t Savage dead/ trapped after the alternate universe shenanigans with time Trapper Paul?

Cuchulin likes this.
  21. Queshire

Queshire Not too sore, are you?

Honestly, I don't really think that the caveman profiting from the tech in the Paragon-verse substantially changes things. An immortal at his age should already have enough money that the profits won't really open up any options he didn't already have.

thebishop8, Ardy, Vorian and 2 others like this.
  22. Lord Ernest

Lord Ernest At the End...

I still don't truly understand all of the shenanigans with Time Travel that happened during those episodes, but I think that since it was reversed to before Savage made the changes to the Timeline, in Savage's perspective just nothing happened and as such, after he returned to his time to notice no changes, he decided it was a bust and just went back to whatever disgusting things the cannibal/pedophile does in his own and/or Light time.

But again, I still don't really understand all that happened during the Mandate and its previous episode. Which I think is the point of Time Travel in any case.

Ardy, Mr Zoat and Cuchulin like this.
  23. Old Knife

Old Knife Not too sore, are you?

Cant Peter/paul 12 recharge on starman tech?

24. Threadmarks: Some time ago on Earth 12
    Mr Zoat

Earth 12
    12th December 2001
    18:43 GMT -6

As the claws press up against my neck I realise that I may have made a rather serious mistake.

"And who.. are.. you?"

Doctor Minerva's face is so close to the back of my neck that I can feel her whiskers as they brush against my skin. Instinct. She wants to be able to tear out my throat if she doesn't like the answer. I would have thought that a woman of her intelligence would realise that a gun would be a better-.

Her claws tighten slightly.

"My name is Peter Wynne." I don't think she has a magic lie detector so I don't need to explain how it's only sort of my name. At this point I've… Sort of gotten used to it. "Are you hungry?"

"I haven't eaten British before."

"Our food culture's come a long way since the eighties. But…" I gesture to the preservation crate on the bench in front of me. "I brought this as a sign of my honest intentions."

"What's inside?"

"Springbok."

I feel whiskers and fur move as she shifts her head to take a look. And I feel the air move as she sniffs. "Why?"

"Your physiology is a mixture of human and cheetah. I'm not sure exactly what you can eat… How your… Splicing has affected your digestive tract, but… I know that predatory animals get their vitamins from organ meat. I… Thought you might like it."

Or maybe you'll be incandescent with rage at me implying that you're an animal. Or you might be incandescent with rage at me implying that you're not a good enough biologist to understand your own digestive processes.

Another sniff. "Is it fresh?"

"Killed a couple of hours ago. The.. box is designed to keep food fresh without freezing it. It should be perfectly palatable."

"Open it. Slowly."

I cautiously reach forward and deactivate the stasis field, then open the lid. The smell of blood immediately fills the air. I then pull the crate a little closer and tilt it so that she can see the meat inside.

"That smells good."

"I'm glad that you-."

Ow! She just… Licked me? Cheetah tongues are barbed and do not feel nice. At least she's removed the claws.

She pulls back enough that I can't feel her any longer. "Step aside."

I sidestep to the right, looking around at the rest of her laboratory setup. Some of the equipment is stolen, and the rest is either old or damaged in some way which caused it to get thrown out. Power comes from a cable which runs to a nearby junction box and I've got no idea what she's doing for water.

The glamorous life of a supervillain.

I feel her tail rub against my leg as she softly and silently approaches the crate. I turn slightly to face her and her slit-pupilled eyes flick to my face for an instant before fixing back on the meat.

"So we're clear: if this is drugged I will kill you before it can take effect."

"It's not drugg-" Her right hand darts forwards, grabs a still-bleeding liver and brings it up to her muzzle. "-ed." She sniffs it deeply twice, then tears into it with her teeth, pulling, ripping and then jerking her head back and swallowing, blood and liver juices dripping down her mouth and onto her fur-covered chest.

She's… Her fur is thick, but she's still clearly mostly shaped like a human woman. There are very clearly fur-covered mammaries under there and I'm going to move my eyes back to her face now. She's eating at quite a pace, not really chewing at all as she gulps the meat down. As she eats I get a good view of the altered structure of her jaw and her decidedly nonhuman teeth, sharp for cutting and stabbing, the grinding function of human molars abandoned as a result of her ill-advised auto-experimentation. She swiftly finishes the liver and breathes lustily in pleasure before turning to face me.

"Are you an autograph hunter?"

"I'm sorry?"

"Autograph. Are you here for my autograph?"

I frown. "Do people do that?"

"You'd be surprised." Her tail curls from left to right behind her. "But that's not why you're here."

"No. I.. want to offer you a job."

"What kind of job?"

"Biological research." She narrows her eyes slightly. "I have a prospectus-" I gesture to my coat with my right hand. "-if you don't mind me reaching for it?"

Her eyes narrow, and she makes a small shrug as she starts cleaning her right hand with her tongue. I reach into my jacket and pull out the booklet with 'Schizo Applications' emblazoned on the cover, then put it down next to the crate.

"Essentially, my business makes its money by acquiring the rights to… Unusually advanced technology and finding civilian applications for it. I'm aware that this… Wasn't what you originally intended, and I see definite commercial potential in your work."

Her face relaxes slightly, her eyes widening. "Y..?"

"Obviously, you have.. certain.. legal difficulties which we'd.. have to work around. My company is based in Britain and I.. don't think we're going to be able to get you indefinite leave to remain. But that's okay, I've been thinking about opening a branch in the United States for a while. There's so much.. stuff to work on here. Do you.. have much experience with project management?"

"It's.. been a while. When you're a supervillain it's.. hard to.. find willing collaborators."

"I imagine. There are a few other scientists I'm going to be trying to recruit, but it's unlikely that you'll be working with anyone in your speciality.. quite on your level."

"Why?"

"Because high-end scientists with criminal records are cheaper to hire than scientists without criminal records. Oh, and I'm afraid that compulsory counselling will be part of the employment contract."

"I'm not crazy."

"No, but you've been living in isolation and in constant conflict with all of those around you for a prolonged period. Humans don't work well in those circumstances. And.. then there's the-" I gesture to her face with my right hand. "-risk-taking."

She sighs. "It was my life's work. I couldn't just abandon everything I'd been working on."

"In point of fact: you could. You could have gotten a job in a related and more commercial field while you applied for grants, or worked on 'splicing' in your spare time. Instead, you tested a.. demonstrably unsafe mutagen on yourself. Now, that might have been a risk you decided to take because you carefully weighed up the risks and decided to take a chance… But just in case-."

"Let me guess: it's a condition of your insurance."

"Oh." I shake my head. "They don't do insurance for people who employ supervillains. I just put money in escrow and cross my fingers. So far so good, but I haven't cracked the American supervillainy scene just yet and I'm told that some of your contemporaries are fairly hardcore."

"Do you want me to make introductions?"

"Not at.. this point. There's a fairly narrow… Sane-enough-to-be-employable and crazy-enough-to-be-useful… Margin for error, and I'd rather focus on a small number of individuals and.. use them to encourage future waves of employees."

"So you're not forming a supervillain team with this as cover."

"Either 'no' or 'yes, and I'm having them work within the law', depending on how you look at it." I think about the dying power ring sitting in a safe back in England. "I've never really gotten into the more flamboyant sort of criminality. Should I take it that you're interested?"

"Yes. YesDefinitely."

I smile. "Good show. I've procured the services of a removal agency to…" I look around. "Assist you in shutting this place down. They know better than to ask questions, but if you could avoid directly telling them anything they might have to claim the fifth over in court..?" She nods. "Much appreciated."

I reach into my jacket and hand her some paperwork and a pair of keys.

"One contract of employment, a debit card linked to a prepaid account and a key to an apartment for your use until.. things are settled and I've got a location for you to move to. And a contact number in case you have any concerns or queries." I smile and nod deferentially. "I'll leave you to your meal."

Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
  25. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

based
    there
    (I'm assuming the sentence is referring to the USA.)

Mr Zoat likes this.
  26. Mr Zoat

No. Peter is an organic human, and consuming significant quantities of electricity would be harmful to him.

He also can't recharge his ring with it, as the energy forms they use are totally different.
    Thank you, corrected.
    He's currently in the United States.

27. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

I can understand him not using the ring, but did he really go to meet Cheetah without some kind of defense? Does he have a secret Starman-tech forcefield or something?

28. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

...You think?

Focus, Peter.

An African antelope? Interesting gift.

Some people would likely pay a lot of money to be in your place right now :D

Life's a gamble.

I'm not sure you'd want to know.

Ironically, Cheetahs and other large Felids do not have slit pupils. Guessing she cut the serum with a bit of housecat :p

Surprised she isn't triggering the Uncanny Valley reflex given the animal traits.

Ah, 'Peter', never change.

Her eyes narrow, and she makes a small shrug...

Company name, or just project name?

My company is based in Britain and I..

Especially ones who won't stab you in the back (possibly literally) when they tire of cooperation.

Spellcheck is pegging this as 'specialty', but :rolleyes: American spellings...

Smart, smart man.

...and decided to take a chance… But just in case-."

Insurance is for people without the kind of money he has.

Ah, that explains why he didn't have an environmental shield when she grabbed him.

Missing a full stop.

Classy.

This just gets better and better. I'm not sure this would have made a great story on its own, just like most of the Alt-Pauls, but vignettes like this are great.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
  29. Lokpik

Lokpik Not too sore, are you?

The green lantern ring can get a charge from static shock at least. It's part of jlu. It's likely energy inefficient, maybe enough energy to power continental America for a day is a percent of the powering?

30. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

No Mister Freeze?