1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. BR549

BR549 This is filth! FILTH!!

...is this fact, or what he believes? Because Earth-12 green power rings can absolutely be recharged on electricity, if I'm recalling the Static Shock crossover episodes correctly.

(And ninja'd as I'm typing this, bah, Bah I say!)

BBJimmy, Ardy, Cuchulin and 8 others like this.
  2. Buggy123

Buggy123 I trust you know where the happy button is?

Doesn't seem to be that way in this fic; Paul-16 has learned to absorb various kinds of energy with his ring, but it always drains power to do so to some degree. The only time I can recall him regaining charge from absorbing energy of any sort was when he reclaimed ring charge from a Demon Jizz user who turned into a ergovore.

Drode, Ardy, Cuchulin and 2 others like this.
  3. BR549

BR549 This is filth! FILTH!!

That's Earth-16. Not Necessarily On Earth-12.

Ardy, Cuchulin and Lord Ernest like this.
  4. Sockmonkey

Sockmonkey I trust you know where the happy button is?

Plus, cheetah claws don't retract.

Ardy, Cuchulin, Caerwen and 4 others like this.
  5. Buggy123

Eh, yeah, but Zoat seems to really downplay the differences between different universes. Timelines and events are accurate, but there don't seem to be as many differences in physics/power levels/etc.

And we've never seen power rings work noticeably different in different universes, native rings seem similar (Grayven's yellow ring is from the Justice Lords universe and it works just the same), and power rings brought through never change noticeably.

infinityDivided, DrThoth and Aeess like this.
  6. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Okayyyy...Unless he is planning to offer cosmetic animal mods I don't see a lot of application for her work, unless she swerves over to "general genetic repair/enhancement without animal elements".

NightmareWarden and Cuchulin like this.
  7. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

I've brought this up before with Blue Power Ring Paul. Because yes Static Shock, and Avengers vs JL, and GL/Superman Legend of the Green Flame, etc.

Zoat's response was that power rings totally can be used to absorb various energies, but that doing so costs charge, so it's not a hack to get around the lack of a power battery.

8. Lubaf

Lubaf Meow.

If it's after a certain point, it's too late for Freeze. At some point, he's reduced to a head, and goes actively crazy. After that, he's too far gone for Peter to do much.

Thanks
    Luc "Spider Robot Head" French

Cuchulin likes this.
  9. Yog

Yog Know what you're doing yet?

Am I the only one who feels sorry for the ring? Which is intelligent in at least some way.

Shark splicing to cure cancer. Tortoise splicing as age prolongation treatment. I am fairly sure there are other immediate applications too.

10. Buggy123

And, yknow... furries. Furries would buy the fuck out of it. Literally.

You want money? Offer a group that routinely pays hundreds of bucks for images a way to get their heart's deepest desire.

11. Gantradies

Gantradies Not too sore, are you?

*shiftily eyes his own avatar, looks away in mild panic*
    i mean, i know id pay outt the ass if it was possible to get a splicing that gave me working wings/better vision/hearing without negative/unreversable sideeffcts.
    in my defence, dragons are cool as all heck >.<

jokes/my daydreams of soaring on thermals on membranous wings aside, there could also be a lot of genuinely revolutionary medical benefits as well- if nothing else,even if full-on overt splicing doesnt catch on,there'd be a huge market for a procedure that noticibly slows the fraying of telemeres (i.e the process that leads to ageing).
    the stuff she experimented was relatively crude/overt, but the potential for something refined and with years more research/knowladge tweaking it...

Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
  12. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

[​IMG]

Blame Bruce Timm.
    Thank you, corrected.
    Quite.
    Company name.

13. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Cuchulin, DAT_NOOB, CTrees and 4 others like this.
  14. lancelot

lancelot Grand High Poobah

So if Alan Scott the first Green Lantern isn't a thing, did you search for the mine shaft the Lantern was found in, and then back track?

15. Mr Zoat

And how do you suggest that he do that?

Firstly, he has no idea where Alan found his lantern beyond 'somewhere in the US'. Given that no one was active in the thirties or forties as the Alan Scott Green Lantern, it might not even be there. In fact, it isn't. It's in Tibet.

Secondly, organising a search like that it difficult, time consuming and expensive and then you're risking giving a powerful empathic weapon to some random guy. And even if you get it off them, it's hard to claim that you legally own it.

Frankly, getting Scott Mason's ring would be easier.

16. hance1986

hance1986 A pitiful excuse for a man.

Only 1 more Earth 12 Paul part left. Fuck!

And this one might be wrapped up in the League scoping him out because they got their asses beat by OL!Paul.

I mean the part with Cheetah has been the only contact with supervillains we've seen so far. I mean by 2001 Paul has had 5 years to build up. Presumably his discussions with Ted Knight went well. Also Paul brought as a gift meat for Cheetah, but what's interesting is that he brought it in a stasis box. That means Paul found someone with that technology or scientific theory and brought them onboard to develop the tech to the point where it can be a box carried independently with no power cords or anything.

Yet Cheetah has not heard of Peter Wynne. It could be that Peter is more famous in England and Europe. It could be that Cheetah has tunnel vision and has not paid attention to any news there could be about Peter or his company if they weren't doing work on genetics until Peter approached her.

And going by how Peter said he will be approaching Farmer Brown as well, which would most likely bring Brown's daughter, Emmylou Brown into things, this new shift into genetics could be the thing that gets Peter and his company actual widespread attention. I mean genetics always catches people's attention in some fearmongering way with GMOs and things of that nature. And especially in a DC or general comic book universe, a company or group looking into super genetics that is not engaged in fuckery will be a rare thing indeed.

And given how at this point Cheetah is a supervillain of some kind, Cheetah going straight could draw some hero attention. If only out of fears over how legitimate it could be. Cheetah did say about villain teams being formed with legit work as cover which means going straight to hide an evil plan is a trope here. I mean at one point in the DCAU Poison Ivy did create plant people that passed for human to seduce the rich and powerful of Gotham and one caught Bruce Wayne for a while.

But the next most recent part takes place on Earth 12 in 2005 and assuming the whole thing hasn't fallen under its own weight, things could be interesting.

17. Mr Zoat

No, she's heard of him, and if she'd had a few minutes she would probably have come up with 'the power guy'. But she doesn't know about his business in any detail.

18. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

I mean, I don’t think it would be easier since the Green Guardsman (and presumably his ring) was just a psychic projection in that episode.
    Pauls don’t seem to have much aptitude for green power rings anyway- Anti-Green Paul had to experience constant torture to boost his innate capacity for willpower, after all.

Cuchulin, Ardy and DAT_NOOB like this.
  19. hance1986

hance1986 A pitiful excuse for a man.

Are you going to have something to say about Lex Luthor and any interactions LexCorp has with Peter's company? Peter was concerned about crossing swords with Lex or partnering with Lex on things.

The DCAU wiki doesn't have a lot to actually say about how many pies LexCorp is actually in, beyond military contracts being a big focus and that Lex employs most of Metropolis. The whole thing with the military battlesuit from the first part of Superman the Animated Series was Lex letting terrorists get a hold of it to scare the military into having him build a superior version to make twice as much money from both sides.

I mean there could be issues if Peter's company becomes the face of safe and sane genetic super science while Lex's efforts in that field all revolve around creating Bizarros and anti Superman shit.

20. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Lex might try persuading Peter, the way he tried to persuade Bruce in the Batman/Superman crossover episode. Hopefully, if the two companies do work on a project together, Peter is smart enough to include a clause that gives him the final say on the matter, just like Bruce did.

Cuchulin, Ardy, Alexandercctv and 3 others like this.
  21. Mr Zoat

The impression I got from when I watched the episode was that they did exist, but had died during the war. So unless he took a nuke to the face his ring should still be wherever it was when he died.
    Neither did Kyle Rayner 12.

IsActuallyBatman, Drode, c3qo and 7 others like this.
  22. Aeess

Aeess I trust you know where the happy button is?

Using his ring, one of the first things the SI did when he was looking for a lantern was asking the Ring if there are some on earth, and after getting confirmation, he asked if there are any in China.

If there is a Lantern in Tibet, he should have found it after he added an atlas to his database.

23. bobsimmo

bobsimmo Simmr001 on SV/SB

something about this tickles me. you went for Eastbourne?

not Colchester? London? Ipswich? Eastbourne.

just amuses me

24. CTrees

CTrees Chasing the ring

75 guardian containment vessels, twelve of them containing energy, seems like it should merit follow-up. We've seen several, including that old, Maltusian ship, but was there ever a follow-up on identifying and locating all of them?

Prince Charon, w34v3r, Ardy and 2 others like this.
  25. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Yes.

Their tombstones were shown.

Stewart "It's no joke. The REAL Streak, Green Guardsman, Tom Turbine; They're all dead. I've seen their graves."

26. Mr Zoat

Monk magic.
    Yes? I live near Eastbourne. I don't know about you, but I think in that situation I'd check somewhere familiar rather than somewhere unfamiliar.
    Yep, that's done. The ship, the Lanterns and Star Sapphire.

27. Aeess

Aeess I trust you know where the happy button is?

that reminds me of this

infinityDivided and Chirox like this.
  28. lefthandturnsignal

lefthandturnsignal Making the rounds.

In addition to those others pointed out, there's also splicing pet animals together. Catdogs and such.

Cuchulin, w34v3r and Ardy like this.
  29. Yog

Yog Know what you're doing yet?

Also professional splicing. Gills or amphibian lung capacity for underwater workers, sensory enhancements for artists, trackers, police. Tons of applications.

30. Mr Zoat

Plus, as we see in Batman of the Future and Static, the process is supposed to be reversable.

Drode, Prince Charon, Sceptic and 9 others like this.