1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. NeoDarklight

NeoDarklight The Final Observer

No, it’s an enlightenment thing. Or at least directly tied to his enlightenment. He can only do it while wearing his ring. It’s also an active scan thing, and inherently tied to the Orange Light. The latter part was brought up when Paul talked to Hinon about the Zamarons’ reaction to him using the ability from an appreciable distance.

Cuchulin likes this.
  2. Valint

Valint I trust you know where the happy button is?

A congressman cannot hold a job in the Executive Branch. A senator who wishes to take a cabinet position would have to resign. (Of random note, the same clause also means that if the salary for that position was increased during the congressman's time in office, it gets rolled back for him to the lower level.)

The process for their replacement depends on their state's laws. The most common is for the governor to appoint a replacement until the next election, but that's not universal.

Readers being able to see the colors != Paul being able to see the colors

There have been more than a few occasions where colored text appeared in situations where it was plain that Paul couldn't see it (e.g., Jade calling him during her Darkstar training).

3. NeoDarklight

NeoDarklight The Final Observer

You know, part of me keeps wondering what sort of Paul would have ended up on the Earth of Justice League: Gods and Monsters. Or rather, what ring color and how they would have interacted with the setting.

Yes? I don’t think we’re referring to the same thing here. Paul can only see people’s emotions when he’s wearing his ring(s), and he has to be looking at them. I never said he could see the colored text at all. I only said that his ability was either a result of his enlightenment, or at least tied directly to his enlightenment. And that it was likely tied to the Orange Light in some way, but that’s extrapolation from given information, rather than something that was outright stated.

4. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Actually, empathic vision doesn't require the ring. Not any more, anyway. The less good version he used to use was a ring ability, but the one he has now isn't. He used on Holly during Spring in Blume. Which means that he is a metahuman and could theoretically join the Legion of Superheroes.

5. TheEyes

TheEyes Well worn.

Heh, on one hand Peter's backing of cosmic rod tech for power generation would likely make his company the biggest carbon-negative company on the planet (one big avenue of current research is taking carbon out of the atmosphere and turning it into plastics; Peter could definitely get a jumpstart on that kind of work with cosmic rod power). On the other hand, Isley is one of those who can probably never be trusted to join his company: as much as she claims she's "power for the trees" what she really wants is "power for me" with trees being the way she gets there.

OTOH, I do recall there was one episode where Harley actually gets paroled and seems to clean herself up for awhile, before backsliding. She could potentially be snatched up then, except I'm not sure Peter would even want her since she doesn't have any skills that are applicable in a corporate setting.

6. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

What does a green-light version of Ophidian-Vision show then? What a person is focusing on? Their driving motivations? (The second one sounds a bit more like orange/desire to me though). I suppose a user’s eyes become giant fish-eyes then, which isn’t as cool as most of the other Entities (I’ve seen the panel showing the Entities before they channeled the emotional spectrum, but I’m not sure what Ion is actually supposed to be).

7. Mr Zoat

Oh yes, don't let your shipping goggles deceive you: Isley 12 is a mental serial killer who was fine with the idea of killing all humans on the planet. Except Harley. If Peter needed a super-botanist there are far better options.
    It was more that she panicked, fled a security guard who just wanted to take a tag off some clothes she'd actually paid for, grabbed a hostage who wasn't really all that scared and tried to calm her down, then got attacked by the army.

8. Maxx Crowley

Maxx Crowley I trust you know where the happy button is?

Because super powers. Seriously, how boring is your world that you'd actually turn down super powers? Especially those granted by a power ring.

And I'm not even talking about fighting villains or any of that.

With the ring, there is literally no project Paul can not attempt. He can, in time, build ANYTHING just about, all by himself.

He can explore ANYWHERE. Screw watching a documentary, you could explore the depths of the ocean, down to the bottom of the bottom. Fuck's sake, YOU CAN FLY. You can go to the moon or stand on the god damn sun.

You can explore the wonders of space, seeing things that no human being has ever, or honestly would ever see.

You can go anywhere in the world, without having to worry about language barriers, or dying of some exotic disease (Something I see more and more in the news.) You can walk down the darkest alleys, never having to worry about being mugged, or shot to death by some punk with a gun after you've already handed over your wallet.

Random violence, psycho murderers, engine of a airplane blowing up...literally not a problem for you.

And then, if some shit DOES go down, you are NEVER HELPLESS. Small child about to burn to death 7 stories up in a raging building fire? Hey, you can do something. Boat sinks and people are trapped below decks? You got this. Religious nutjobs storming a building with guns, screaming about their magic sky daddy's wrath? Man, they picked the wrong day.

Never helpless, never dreaming without recourse, able to live life at a level of fullness that your entire species will never achieve.

What sort of boring ass, brain dead, god damn FOOL, are you to give something like that up?

Sometimes Vaermina, it's actually cute how you just make shit up in your head and insist it's canon.

Well you see, apparently just about every word and deed OL-16 has performed upsets Vaermina....so clearly he's...whatever Vaermina choses to label him.

I mean, there OL is, pushing arcano-tech into the mainstream, freeing enslaved planets and destroying galactic empires, freeing imprisoned Superheros, cleaning his world's oceans of literal seas of trash, healing the great barrier reef, refreezing the polar ice caps, earn Gaia herself's praise, helping fend of demonic invasion from the closest thing to the actual Devil there is, and bringing down a chaos boy-witch who murdered thousands of children.

You know, shit Larfleeze would do.

9. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

DC has alien hybrids who are hybrids of two different alien species.

Lobo had a kid with a Durlan.

Supergirl and Brainiac 5 had a daughter.

Superman had children with the New God Beautiful Dreamer.

So no.

Plus, the Life Entity is in no way canon for the Justice League cartoon, so an explanation that doesn't actually exist in the setting isn't a very good explanation.

I could just as easily say that Thanagarians and humans can interbreed because Thanagar is a human colony as per Brightest Day, but that's not true in the Justice League cartoon either.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
    RagnarokAscendant and Cuchulin like this.
  10. TheEyes

TheEyes Well worn.

I meant in subsequent episodes she backslid: she got back together with the Joker at least three times after that episode. Flying her out of the country might have been the best possible way to rehabilitate her, although I don't really see Peter going for it since this version of Harley just doesn't have any skills he's really looking for.

Bramble Thorn and Cuchulin like this.
  11. Lazurman

Lazurman That Others May Fap

Secretary, maybe?

Cuchulin likes this.
  12. TheEyes

TheEyes Well worn.

She'd have to be good enough at something to be worth the outside risk of Joker coming to retrieve her. I don't think Harleen Quinzel's paper-filing skills are worth that risk.

13. infinityDivided

infinityDivided ******** of Doom

Maybe as bait to lure the Joker out of Gotham so he can be killed "in self-defence"?

14. TheEyes

TheEyes Well worn.

If that happened, you know that Batman would be regularly targeting Peter in petty revenge. There's no doubt that a world without the Joker would be better than one with it, but the amount of trouble Peter would be bringing down on himself and his company's worth of recovering Villainous Face-punchers wouldn't be worth it.

Cuchulin and infinityDivided like this.
  15. Mr Zoat

I wouldn't recommend trying that last one. Kyle Rayner did it once, but that was with J'onn J'onzz piping the design for sun-proof armour into his brain.
    The Joker isn't a problem for someone with a power ring if they know he's around. Thing is, even Lanterns sleep sometimes, and Peter doesn't have a ring that he can rely on. While he has reasonably impressive defences by most standards they're nothing the Joker couldn't get past if he really put his mind to it.

16. WargWolf

WargWolf Giver of successor chapters

She also went straight during the "Batman and Harley Quinn" movie, which was also a part of the DCAU. She did try to find a new, completely legal, job before the movie started. But, no one wanted to say they had the Joker's number one henchwoman working for them. Well, besides some "artsy" films and a superheroine/villainess cosplay cafe. But, in this story, thanks to Peter having a bunch of reformed villains on his pay roll, I imagine Harley trying to get a job at Peter's company if she does try to go straight. Not saying she'd get a job. But, she'd certainly would try.

Anywho, first time posting in the thread(I think). @Mr. Zoat, this is a great story! I hoped you enjoyed writing the previous chapters, and enjoy writing all future ones!

17. Lord Ernest

Lord Ernest At the End...

What skills and/or abilities does any version of Harley has that you can't find in someone else less insane and/or obsessed with the Joker? (and/or friendly with Ivy?) I mean, I get the character is a fan favorite and I liked her as a side character in B:TAS (and the Mad Love episode), but why would any intelligent person that finds themselves in a DC universe go look for her or pay her any special attention?

Anyway, I have really liked these few segments dedicated to Peter's life. I appreciate that the guy isn't really involved in superheroics and I would wish him the best of times. Maybe he does manage to get something to recharge his Ring (I think Sinestro shows up on Earth a couple of times, if there was somebody smart enough to steal his Battery I think Peter would pay for it handsomely) but if not, then the guy doesn't really have to focus on it or anything, I don't think. He seems happy enough.

infinityDivided and WargWolf like this.
  18. Jormuungaand

Jormuungaand Out of work World Serpent

How about being a psychiatrist with enough combat experience and skill to help ride herd on the genuinely mentally unstable ones?

19. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Even talking about Zoat rings which can pull off shit the comics only really dreamed of, the massive mental alteration that results from any ring other then Green and White just isn't worth it for any sort of long term use.

Especially when there are much better methods of gaining power available to him.

Heck, with Splicing tech and a sample of Superman/Supergirls DNA Peter could turn himself into a half Kryptonian. Combine that with his cosmic rod, which can do almost anything that a power ring can and he would be pretty much set.

20. Buggy123

Buggy123 I trust you know where the happy button is?

Really?

Can a half-Kryptonian wielding a cosmic rod:

• Manufacture nanotech, bleedtech, and xenotech, along with just about any other kind of tech, and repair/maintain it easily?
    • Perfectly perform incredible medical procedures that would make any medical professional drool at the mouth?
    • Scan anything from individual objects to huge regions, acquiring detailed information down to the atomic level, without requiring line of sight, at vast or even interplanetary distances?
    • Remotely contact anyone else with a power ring with no signal delay, as well as interfacing with just about any kind of communication device, with perfect real-time conceptual translation?
    • Produce a variety of analogues of just about any device instantly via constructs, with greatly increased durability, functionality, and ease of use?
    • Fly and travel at FTL speeds to rival even highly advanced spacecraft?
    • Perform computational feats that make Moore and his puny law cower in fear, with a memory capacity of "Basically infinite. No, really.".
    • Store objects in a hammerspace-esque subspace pocket, kept in stasis so that even food remains edible, with capacity to put the most violent hammer-wielding waifus to shame?

Damn, cosmic rods much be pretty rad if they can do almost all of that, huh?

21. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

Some of them, yes.

Depending on the continuity, yes. At one point in the comics the rod was able to create a construct replica of itself. That's a bit ridiculous and the AI support probably isn't that good in this continuity, but... yes, cosmic rods can make constructs.

Yes. How do you think Starman ended up where he did?

Not directly, but I would be very surprised if it couldn't be integrated into a schizo-tech computer that can.

22. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

If we are using the same scale of "has all the abilities shown in the comics" that Zoat used for Power Rings, then yes to everything but the subspace pocket.

With the addition of being able to dimension hop and never needing to recharge.

Cuchulin likes this.
  23. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

Don’t forget that the Sivanas In Earth 16 also created sub space pocket technology, including the ability to pickpocket them. Assuming they sometimes partner with Peter, if not work for him, he might have access to subspace pockets.

Cuchulin likes this.
  24. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Speaking of cosmic rods, from what I remember from the comics (and they might very well have gotten around that limit afterwards) the cosmic rod is star powered. Which according to DC writers mean that it can't recharge during the day.

Maybe one could attach them to solar panels, so solar power at day star power at night.

Or maybe Zoat isn't using that limitation because it doesn't actually make sense....

25. ForeverShogo

ForeverShogo Not too sore, are you?

If you want Harley to go straight, you pretty much have to wait until the Joker gets himself killed trying to convince Tim Drake, twisted into Joker Junior, to kill Batman.

Then Harley basically fakes her death and goes straight, only to have her twin granddaughters join one of the Jokerz gangs. Much to her displeasure.

Because the Joker being dead is the only thing that makes her attempts at being reformed stick, and the Joker is still around during the events of Batman and Harley Quinn. Which means she eventually went crawling back to him. Again. Plus, you know, the whole thing where the Bat Family was convinced she died the same night that the Joker did.

DrThoth, Cuchulin and Ardy like this.
  26. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

That event got retconned away due to time travel.

Instead Harley broke away from Joker some time before that resulting in the events of the "Batman and Harley Quinn" movie where she ended up sleeping with Nightwing.

27. ForeverShogo

ForeverShogo Not too sore, are you?

Since when? Because I certainly didn't see anything about Return of the Joker being retconned by time travel.

Cuchulin and Someguy Somewhere like this.
  28. GhostKing 666

GhostKing 666 Know what you're doing yet?

Honestly, that's not remotely true. Yes the League is much reduced from it's heyday, but that's result of the League's own success in smashing all the major organized super villains and the general advancement of technology(outright stated to be a main reason for the League's reduction by Superman in the first issue of Superman Beyond).

From what we saw from the Zeta Project, most crime in the rest of America outside of Gotham is mostly just petty or minor organized crime(just like in real life), with the only major threats left being the Society of Assassins and Kobra. And the Society basically decapitates itself in "Final Cut". And granted while Kobra is still a major threat(in one episode they almost release a plague bioweapon in gotham that would have killed millions and in another they almost induce massive climate change), they aren't anything a single super hero or small group like the Justice League cant handle(especially as the Justice League has boomtube travel thanks to Barda).

Add in the advanced technology in the hands of law enforcement, government and standard military forces,

And they could easily handle the average super villain. And with the government's network of defense satellites(not as powerful as the Watchtower's old binary fusion cannon, but faster firing, no cool down and many more of them) and it would take a truly massive invasion force to contest earth.

And frankly? Most superheroes don't become superheroes to fight massive alien invasions, they become superheroes to fight crime and corruption, something most places don't need help to deal with. By the time of Batman Beyond the Justice League is mostly obsolescence, not yet obsolete and still useful but getting there and the only reason Superman stays on is because with Louise likely dead and his secret identity of Clark Kent likely nonviable(people would have ended up noticing if he wasn't aging anywhere near as much as he should have been), Superman simply didn't have much else to do with his life(unlike J'onn who had his human wife and probable family and Dianna who had themyscira), and then he got Star Conquered.

29. Threadmarks: Realigned (part 1)
    Mr Zoat

Realigned

6th February
    07:08 GMT -5

"Um." Holly stares at Artemis's tight-fitting work out trousers as she and Paula jog closer to our meet-up point in Robinson Park. "Damn."

Karon arches her right eyebrow.

"Huh? Oh, come on. Look at that!"

Karon turns her head away slightly and raises her right hand.

And Holly realises her mistake. "Karon. I didn't mean-."

"She's romantically involved with a young man, so I think you're out of luck."

"I'm window shopping, not-." Karon starts walking away. "Oh, no, that's not…"

Artemis jogs up beside me as Holly goes after Karon. "Ah… Are they… Not jogging with us?"

"Perhaps they'll… Join us later."

"Are they having a fight?"

I give my legs a quick stretch. My identity, Paula's former identity and Jade's identity are public knowledge, so anyone with a working brain should be able to tell that Artemis=Artemis. Then again, people around here… But, she doesn't want to strengthen the painfully obvious association so I'm wearing only one ring, it's on my left ring toe and my environmental shield is down so low that it's virtually invisible in this light. I mean yes, Gotham's better these days, but I'm not stupid.

Point being, I have to at least look like I'm warming up normally in order to maintain the pretence.

"Holly appreciated a certain person's physique out loud. Karon was less than impressed."

Artemis snorts as Paula slows to a stop alongside us. "Yeah?" Artemis looks around the park. "Who'd she check out?"

I look at her.

"That black chick over there?" She turns back and sees me looking at her. "She-. Oh. Huuuuuuh."

"I haven't spoken to Wallace about-."

Her eyes widen slightly. "I hadn't realised you'd met Wally."

"Yes, we've bumped into one another at KordTech a few times."

Not often, in reality, because neither of us are based there and we don't visit the same parts of the company. But it's a believable place for us to have met as far as a casual observer would be concerned if a) they knew who I was b) they don't know who Artemis is c) they know who Wallace is but don't know that he's Kid Flash, and, d), probably some other conditions as well.

"Oh. Right, yeah."

I smile at Paula. "Paula, good morning."

"Good morning, Paul. Ready for a run?"

"Yep. Just think I need to phone Wallace and warn him about 'that black chick' stealing his girlfriend first."

Artemis grimaces, growls quietly, then takes off down the path. Paula follows at a slightly slower pace, and I take a moment to make eye contact with Holly and wave before dashing to catch them up.

With crime falling and Pamela Isley reformed, Robinson Park has seen a resurgence of joggers. Mister Freeze murdering those people in Grant Park probably helped send the overflow here as well. Still, it's a cold part of the year and so we don't have that much competition for the pavement on work days.

So far Zatanna hasn't decided to tell everyone my age, and as I briefly meet Paula's eyes I'm sorely tempted to just come out with it. It's… Like the reason Bob gives in The Atrocity Archives for homosexuals being -historically- banned from the British intelligence services: being gay meant that you could be blackmailed by foreign agents… Because being gay meant that you could be fired, which was only a problem because of the rule banning homosexuals. After someone pointed out this catch 22 they changed the rules so that homosexuals were fine as long as they weren't in the closet, because if they were out and proud they couldn't be blackmailed about it.

Except…

If someone actually did blackmail me… What exactly happens? It's not as if I'm obsessed with public opinion, and… Compared to Grand Theft Baking Supplies, I doubt the fact that I told people I was twelve years younger than I actually am is going to arouse all that much excitement. Threatening to tell my friends? A bit awkward, but nothing compared to how anything someone could blackmail me into doing would make me feel. Police? I'm not a US citizen and I doubt that Hippolyta would care. I'm publically nineteen, so other than the fact that I'd be able to buy alcohol around here not a lot would change legally.

"Did you do a lot of running before you starting running with us?"

I glance at Paula for a moment before returning my attention to the path ahead of us.

"No, not really. Treadmills-" Once or twice, more to be sociable or because I was taking a break from my rings than for the purpose of exercise. "-or exercise machines were more my thing. Though my trainer did once make me run the marathon."

"Which one?"

"No. The marathon. I had to run from Athens to Sparta, retracing the route of Pheidippides. There's some nice countryside in Greece, but I can't honestly say that I recommend it."

"That could be interesting."

"I didn't know that you were into endurance running."

"When I was younger, I trained myself so that I was ready to commit whatever crime was most profitable. After I recovered from my injury, I tried to get back to that same level of fitness. But I no longer have anything to aim for."

"Perhaps you should try a normal marathon first? I mean, I can arrange passage to Greece-" By flying you there. "-and I'd be happy-" In the interests of building good relations with my future mother-in-law, not because I like running. "-to run it with you."

She smiles as we reach the northernmost part of the park and turn east. "Thank you."

I look right and see Holly and Karon cut across the grass to catch up with us, their disagreement apparently resolved. I'm not seeing any real emotional damage, but… Come on, Holly! At this point you should know that while Karon doesn't expect you to police your eyes she does expect you to police your mouth a little.

"Have you heard from Jade yet?"

"No, and I doubt that I will for a few days. She'll probably want to familiarise herself with her new working environment fairly intensely at the start."

"Who will she be fighting?"

"Hopefully, no one for a while. The place she's being sent to is a solid ally, but the… Enemy are really good at infiltrating and exploiting internal divisions. When she does, it will probably be locals armed with local weapons. Less dangerous than plenty of things she's fought on Earth."

She nods as Artemis slows to allow us to jog alongside her.

"I am sure that you are right, but I still worry. We had not fully reconnected when she left. I am not.. complaining that you found her the opportunity. If she must fight, then I would prefer her to fight for a good cause than for the League of Shadows. But I miss her."

I nod. Jade knows I can get access to instant communication technologies… But she hasn't asked me to give one to anyone. But I could nudge her about writing, or.. something. "I'll see if I can come up with something."

Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
  30. Doccer

Doccer I trust you know where the happy button is?

Mr. Zoat?
    Somethings bothering me. What about the Justice Lords?
    We're they not on Earth 12 long enough to notice Peter's company is made up of a legion of villians? If they did notice how did they react? If they didn't how do you think their reaction would've been? Did Lord Batman show them before they entered or did he keep it secret to play them a certain way? If there was no interaction did Peter suspect anything with the sudden costume switch and lethality of Lord Superman's lobotomy on Doomsday?
    Can you make an omake or something of the Justice Lords confronting Peter? I imagine they wouldn't do anything obviously threatening just test the waters a bit. Maybe get confused as to even how?, seeing Lord Wonder Woman get shocked seeing, among others, Barbara in a happy and healthy relationship NOT attacking. Would/has she taunted Diana about complaining how bad men and Man's World is yet it took just one man intelligently talking and understanding her and coming up with a beneficial avenue to grow where as Diana's fists and preachy admonishments never really went anywhere?

Alexandercctv, Rebu, Vorian and 4 others like this.