1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Sockmonkey

Sockmonkey I trust you know where the happy button is?

The Long gun was a game changer (and almost a game ender) specifically because it could bypass every form of interdiction FTL by creating sort of gravitational "tunnel" around the shot. There is no defense against it aside from hiding or leaving the galaxy. That's why the UNS never used the thing. Anyone they didn't immediately destroy would have built their own once they knew it could be done. Then it becomes a prisoner's dilemma scenario where the guy with the itchiest trigger finger wins.
    When you have a scenario where offense is so much more effective than defense, the only way to actually have a stable society is draconian control over who gets to build weapons.

2. FreeGod

FreeGod If you see a God on the road fuck it!

Maybe they happened upon an some alien species tissues and made a bunch of clones.

3. Buggy123

Buggy123 I trust you know where the happy button is?

Admittedly, it's not a perfect example. But it is a good way to demonstrate just how much a even-longer-range weapon can shift the paradigm.

Also, yeah, tbh everyone in that universe is fucked by the local physics. I like the comic a lot, but I'd be the first to say that that universe is a little weird and definitely not a good place to live. Maybe they should look into that mini-universe technique again.

Vorian, Bramble Thorn and Cuchulin like this.
  4. Queshire

Queshire Not too sore, are you?

Aside from Boom Tubes what all can they do?

Sounds like Nukes.

Bramble Thorn and Cuchulin like this.
  5. Yog

Yog Know what you're doing yet?

Soul manipulation for sure (divine awakening and such), communication between each other, at least some manner of hacking / control of technology are what we definitely saw in this story. If we go by DC wiki... Everything that a power ring can do, and possibly more.

EDIT: Oh, and almost certainly manufacture of New God technology is within their abilities - see Canis having access to New God tech.

6. Buggy123

Worse, honestly. Nukes have travel time and limited targeting, and there are reasonably effective countermeasures. By my understanding, if nuclear war broke out, most of the nukes would be intercepted before they hit anything; it's just that between the few that weren't, and the fact that some of the countermeasures are themselves nukes, things wouldn't be very pretty afterwards.

Long guns are basically a nuke that can be instantly teleported anywhere you can target. They have no known counter aside from ensuring your opponent just can't hit you with them; even if you make a nuke-proof bunker, they'll just shoot it inside the bunker.

So, you have to keep anyone from getting the necessary targeting data (which would be functionally equivalent to making absolutely sure that no one ever gets a smartphone anywhere near a secure building), moving around so quickly that they can't hit you by the time they fire (impractical unless you're currently inside a particularly spry warship), or just running the fuck away into intergalactic space.

And as it turns out, that first option doesn't work terribly well either, because someone managed to walk their longgun shots from Andromeda and have started to take out critical infrastructure, bit by bit, with no local spotters to eliminate.

So, just about everyone goes with that last option; they just build a dyson sphere around a dwarf star and fling it outside of the galaxy. It's happened so many times, that there are thousands of these spheres out there. And each one is able to hold something like 100 galactic civilizations worth of people all on it's own (though, they're certainly not all full, but the one we saw was at about 40% capacity).

Last edited: Aug 6, 2019
  7. Queshire

Queshire Not too sore, are you?

I am familiar with the webcomic in question, yes.

8. BR549

BR549 This is filth! FILTH!!

...Paul has thought to check for the presence of Anti-Life, right?

9. Buggy123

Ah, sorry, my bad. I didn't realize that.
    He's a empath and his powers are always on, so he probably checked well enough just by looking at her. From what we've seen of Anti-Life, it's usually pretty obvious.

10. FreeGod

FreeGod If you see a God on the road fuck it!

Mr Zoat : Has there been any progress on that Vega cluster video game? Sort of interested in how that turned out.

11. Old Knife

Old Knife Not too sore, are you?

Cold paulll. Captain cold level cold

Bramble Thorn likes this.
  12. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Yes, but making a game like that isn't a quick business. Not if you're doing it properly. They're still doing basic concept and storyline work at the moment.
    No, Leonard Snart would start shooting at this point as well.

13. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Among the members of the Justice League, only Batman, Hawkman, and maybe Hawkwoman and Major Atom would have the objectivity to do what Paul did. This honestly makes Paul seem like the more effective hero sometimes. He's not going to hesitate to do what's necessary, but only does it when it's necessary.

14. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

Arguably, what you need is a mad scientist game designer.

Someone like a fantasy version of Hideo Kojima, who supposedly got stuck making Metal Gear Solid games for years when he wanted to move on and make something completely different, so a lot of his career was supposedly spent making the games as subtly bad as possible, while still getting them high quality and keeping his reputation. Things like making more than half the game an unskippable cutscene where really stupid stuff happens, replacing the badass army guy of the first successful game with a bishounen, and yet somehow still making a popular game takes incredible talent.

Either way, yeah, making a great open world exploration game usually takes 3-4 years. Heck, that’s a lot of the reason why things like the Elder Scrolls games are only released once per console generation, and they last year released a teaser trailer for the next game, set to come out in 2021. Same thing for games like Witcher 3 or Cyberpunk 2077 which had concept trailers come out 4-5 years before release.

If you’re going for linear shooter or strategy game though, those take 1-2 years to make.

Of course, the best choice for the given game would probably be something similar to a triple A version of Sunless Sea / Sunless Skies, (a boat / flying train management/ rpg cthulhupunk game which somehow pulls off an interesting and original lore-based world where Queen Victoria made a deal with the bat people where Albert returns to life as a zombie, while London is pulled into a massive underground cavern where the rules of reality don’t strictly apply, and hell is preety literally right next door.).

15. Silveraith

Silveraith Argent Phantasm

Not sure if the period is intentional given the sentence structure of the two sentences.

DAT_NOOB likes this.
  16. Bramble Thorn

Bramble Thorn Verified Silhouette

Clarification, Why?

I though both versions started out the same, except renegade had a worse day at work. So absent butterflies, things should be the same between realities. And since neither OL or Grayven had interacted with that civilisation at that point, both versions should have had an accident before reaching their destination.

Why? She is currently safe in the room, while you do what needs to be done. Which as not been shown on screen yet, but I assume is a reprisal for the attack, followed by a marooning?

If I might make a suggestion? Instead of wasting wasting some planets resources marooning them, OL can deage someone. Why not deage (especially and specifically the brains) anyone he would have marooned, so they can then be put through the neural pruning/brainwashing process that needs a young robust brain?

17. Mr Zoat

For once it actually was intentional.
    Nothing you say here is untrue. It was a knock on from a knock on, but the SI changed something the Renegade didn't.
    Having been abused as a child, Leonard has a very limited tolerance for that sort of thing.
    The SI would have to care a great deal more about them as individuals in order to do that.

18. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

Hm... did Grayven go asteroid mining at the beginning? Who went asteroid mining more? Maybe that’s what caused the butterfly effect? (for example) Since he reduced the mass of the asteroid, it altered it’s flight trajectory, and it didn’t get into the way of the ftl jump Xor’s ship did.

fappingtoyourpost and DrThoth like this.
  19. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

Yet considering how Xor crashing on Earth happened in comics canon without any SI intervention, it doesn’t really make sense to me that Paragon would have been responsible for that, however indirectly. The universe seems to have story beats or patterns that do account for Paragon’s actions (like the Rama Khan-heir situation in this continuity being because of a portal that Mist made for Paragon), but I feel like those should have happened even without his intervention, just at a later date and more like their comics/tv show canon version.
    I’d buy it more if Xor’s ship NOT crashing was due to SI butterflies, since comics canon/in-universe cosmic story patterns should have dictated that the ship would always crash.

It’s ultimately a minor point that doesn’t especially affect my reading experience, but in the parlance of older TV Tropes, it Just Bugs Me.

I believe every Earth-16Z iteration of the SI did the asteroid mining plan- Paragon, Renegade, Eros-Paragon, Common Sense and Sybarite, to the best of my knowledge (I think Power Ring Blue did something similar as well, using asteroid gold to make Ultraman-coins as an apology-gift, and Business-Paul and possibly the MCU and EMH Pauls too, since they all have orange rings). Actually Heavenly Guardian Paul might be an exception, if I recall correctly.
    It’s obviously unreasonable to expect Mr Zoat to have mapped out every variation between every iteration of the SI’s various continuities besides the primary Paragon and Renegade ones, but I do wonder in how many of the Earth-16 iterations Xor landed on Earth.

Vorian, nobodez, Ngamer11 and 2 others like this.
  20. Mr Zoat

Thank you.

Drode, reddraggone9, Vorian and 16 others like this.
  21. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

My original point was to provide an example of a possible butterfly effect. For example, Grayven might have wanted to take out his aggressions on some more asteroids, or some different asteroids, etc... Essentially, whatever different thing they did should probably be a while ago, and while they’ve obviously done a lot of things that have repercussions, this is the first “moment of chaos” where a whole bunch of external circumstances could have come together, and depending on if they got lucky or unlucky, they could have changed canon in very unpredictable ways. Like having a meteor crash land on Earth, or moving where an special object would have originally been, etc... It was an attempt to provide a sci-fi handwavey reason for something that may have caused an early butterfly effect in space.

DrThoth likes this.
  22. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

I didn’t mean to dispute or obscure your point in any way, so my apologies if I went off on a tangent. I was just trying to expand the situation to every other logical instance that asteroid mining by an SI would have happened.

23. Twilight666

Twilight666 I trust you know where the happy button is?

So.. couldn't you have said that at the beginning,
    You don't have to create a step by step path of how the timelines diverged but the original response made it look like you had decided on a reason in this case
    It looked like said reason was either spoilers to something that would be told later, or that we should go through the story-thread to figure out the difference ourselves

DrThoth likes this.
  24. doug89

doug89 Versed in the lewd.

Is it possible to use an orange brand on an Orange Lantern? Paul can't do a lot of things because he doesn't care enough. Could he lend a ring to a trusted volunteer, brand them, make them desire with their entire being that a task is done (eg de-aging the prisoners he intends to maroon), and have them perform it?

Alexandercctv and DrThoth like this.
  25. Mr Zoat

Yes, I could have said that, but since I do have an explanation for that I would be lying.

Drode, Chojin Patriarch, c3qo and 5 others like this.
  26. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

SOFT SUBJEC--er. I mean. *cough* It's a shame that mad designers are so much rarer than mad engineers.

I think it's more likely to do with Paragon summoning the orange rings. Asteroids really don't have a lot of influence on stellar scales. The whole reason they're asteroids in the first place is that they're too small for their gravity to have a visible effect on themselves, much less on the space around them. But summoning the orange rings was an interstellar effect.

27. WaleXdraK

WaleXdraK Not too sore, are you?

Filthy Xenos wouldn’t be smart enough to understand them.

Ardy likes this.
  28. Mr Zoat

War Hounds are a lot stronger than unwanked Marines.

29. WaleXdraK

WaleXdraK Not too sore, are you?

Heresy! An proper loyalist make sure to extra wank the glorious Astartes! ...........
    to be fair even in some books they wank them pretty hard, like that time an unarmored chaos Astartes killed an armored Custodes by piercing his torso with his hand......

NightmareWarden, DAT_NOOB and Ardy like this.
  30. Jirachi

Jirachi I trust you know where the happy button is?

Random questions!
    How has Kalmin's research going? I'm assuming that he's focusing on the ship building efforts, though he could (have) be working on any number of things such as making rings for himself and others, anti-anti-lantern techniques, other glowtech projects, upgunning darkstars...
    Paul is sharing all of his tech with the controllers right?
    What's Kalmin's tech sharing policy? I'm curious if we could get the Sivanas / Kord / some mages / New Genesis interested in the blue light.
    I'm really confused as to why the special weapons people don't have a designated role in the steering comitee for the reach war.

Ardy likes this.