1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

Well said. Thanks for putting my thoughts into words better than I ever could.

pa$$word likes this.
  2. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.

3. Bramble Thorn

Bramble Thorn Verified Silhouette

I dunno. Snowden pulled a Snowden, with "The government is doing this thing that is supposed to be illegal" and all. And at the end of it arrests did not seem to happen, heads did not seem to roll. The political climate and social landscape seem to be about the same before and after. Except that Snowden is now a fugitive for the crime of exposing the crime, because those crimes were classified.

And we aren't that far in time from watergate, when people seemed to actually give a shit. 40 years or less from impeachable scandal to effective indifference. How long has the Alignment been acting as it has? Less than 40 years, or way longer?

4. Maxx Crowley

Maxx Crowley I trust you know where the happy button is?

Careful of the politics rule man.

5. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

Speaking of the story-only thread...

American spelling of the "ploughed into" would be "plowed into", but a Midwestern farm boy like me or Clark would be more likely to say "poured into". Or depending on attitude, "sunk into".

that he'd have been

Bramble Thorn and Mr Zoat like this.
  6. Jirachi

Jirachi I trust you know where the happy button is?

Eh, what I'd expect would actually happen would be that the nations of Earth couldn't do a thing against it, and a couple of immortal-types would beat them to a pulp. The Wizard Shazam, Balewa, Icon, possibly Blood and probably a couple others I'm not thinking about right now could pretty feasibly kill the kryptonians and stop it *eventually*, though it'd probably take a long time for them to get working on the problem.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
  7. Lord Ernest

Lord Ernest At the End...

Well, but the Nations of Earth themselves, except Atlantis, Themyscira and any other hidden/magical realm, would probably have surrendered pretty quickly if that was the Kryptonian squad's focus. They would probably then get thoroughly assassinated by an average cabal of wizards, or any proto-heroes of the time would have handed their asses to them, or they would get really unlucky and would descend in the lair of some really wicked sorcerer(ess) or in the middle of some demonic/eldritch invocation and their sorry carcasses would have lamented the day they landed on this Death Planet. But that's just my opinion.

DrThoth, Buggy123, Cuchulin and 5 others like this.
  8. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

9. Siskulous

Siskulous Know what you're doing yet?

Shazam and Balewa could for sure - magic being both extremely potent in DC and a weakness of Kryptonians - but it's questionable whether either of them would involve themselves directly. Shazam could send a champion, of course, but given how picky he is regarding his champions after Adom he may have trouble finding one. As for Icon...one on one against a most Kryptonians I'd give him even odds. Outnumbered or against a Kryptonian with decent combat training he'd lose.

10. Jirachi

Jirachi I trust you know where the happy button is?

They aren't *that* non-interventionist. Balewa said that he's fine with dealing with OCP, and the Wizard avoids really his rock unless he has a good reason, but both probably eventually would leave.

Buggy123 and Cuchulin like this.
  11. AverusBlack

AverusBlack AKA Aisling

AngelicKnight. likes this.
  12. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

Mr Zoat seems active on the site, but no update yet? Is there an issue?

Buggy123 and Korfayron like this.
  13. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Maybe he's having to write something up fresh? Or he's relaxing a bit.
    Saturday and Sunday posts do go up a little later. Can you begrudge him wanting to sleep in a little?:D

14. Jormuungaand

Jormuungaand Out of work World Serpent

Yes we can. We’re impatient gits!:D

15. Threadmarks: Realigned (part 18)
    Mr Zoat

7th February
    05:48 GMT

Guy slows slightly.

"You know you said those ships could hurt me?"

I fly past him, turning around to keep an eye on him as I do so.

"Yes?"

He looks up and then rockets towards the growing picket, construct rockets appearing around him to boost his speed. Ah, he wants to continue to hold their attention. Or make a point of some kind. Not sure. Alright, him flying through their formation relatively slowly should do that, as well as making a point about their relative capabilities. Would Guy survive? We haven't done much training with laser constructs, but based on their power output and Guy's defensive construct performance…

And assuming that none of them are green. And that he doesn't mind reflecting the shots at least a little rather than flat-out tanking them…

He.. should be okay for a little while. Now, do I follow, or..?

The squadron of aerofighters pulls upwards and begins firing at him. He's moving so much faster than them that sublight weapons would be worthless while those are just nearly worthless. Still, we're trying to keep this part to zero fatalities and the harder they push their vehicles the higher the chance of something going wrong. Like one of the ships taking a shot and their beam attenuating too much to hurt Guy but still being strong enough to melt their own fighters.

I send a photon bomb construct directly upwards and trigger it in their flight path. That should temporarily blind them and remind them that I'm still here. Now-. Ah, they're turning away from the blast and retreating, though the flight pattern… Some sort of emergency AI override? Alignment pilots work with better sensors and pilot-assistance than their human equivalents, but not good enough to maintain formation after losing the humanoid-visible part of the spectrum? I wouldn't have thought so.

Guy is taking fire from the smaller vessels now, the larger ships… Not wanting to risk hitting the city below him at their current angle? Nothing else flying up from the planet. Probably a combination of the fact that he's leaving and the fact that the fleet have far bigger guns. Nothing coming my way.

So what now? I can just teleport to Xor. I can attack the fleet. Or I can stand there next to Guy and let them shoot me for a while. But the point of this exercise is to undermine their faith in their government, not their faith in their military. And just tanking their attacks would make me feel stupid.

Ring, message to Guy. 'Call me if you need help'.

Message sent.

I take a last look around, then raise my right hand to my forehead.

Xor's facing away from me as I appear, but one of his new allies glancing at me and tightening his grip on his gun causes him to turn my way. He salutes me with both fists clenched at his chest.

"Illustres."

"Any trouble?"

He steps aside slightly, revealing the two rows of prisoners he and his team have acquired. Some are uninjured, some unconscious and others are bruised and bleeding. But none are missing limbs, and… Looks like nearly everyone on his target list.

"The rest?"

"We would have had to kill a great many other people to reach them."

I nod. "As you will."

"There will be other times. Where is Lantern Gardner?"

"Making a point to the fleet. Do you agree with his proposed sentence?"

"Yes. I want them alive and suffering. I want them available for a proper trial once honour returns to the Alignment's courts."

"Floor's yours, then."

Xor turns to his prisoners and raises his left hand, strands of orange leaping from his ring and touching each of his prisoners on the forehead. Those who were unconscious wake up with a start, and those who were injured… Their visible injuries shrink a little.

"Attend to me."

Faces blank, scowling and fearful turn in his direction.

"I am Xalitan Xor, formerly a War Hound of the First Array. For ten years I fought for the Alignment, and when I left the army I gained lawful employment first as a construction worker and later as a bodyguard. I was arrested for a murder I did not commit and sentenced to be transported, to spend the rest of my life in penal labour."

"I have decided that I will not let your evil stand."

"You all know what you have done. You have ordered the deaths of those who were politically inconvenient, without even having the decency to allow them trial by combat. Some of you ordered mine. Some of you ordered the deaths of other War Hounds who completed their term of service. But the punishment will be the same. You will be taken to an isolated world, given simple equipment and marooned there. You may die there. You may come to terms with your vices and become more than you are."

None of them say anyth-.

He's removed their voices. Which is a traditional Alignment punishment.

"It does not matter to me. But you will not affect others with your dishonour any longer."

He holds out his left hand and forces his ring off his finger.

"Or if you prefer a swift and honourable death, you may stand. You will be unbound and fully healed, and then we will fight to the death. Whether you live or die, there will be no further examination of your crimes. Do any of you hold your honour in high enough regard to die for it?"

Some of the prisoners look at one another, but no one rises.

"You know what I am. You know how you programmed me to think. You know that my offer is genuine. Will you not affirm your actions one more time? Did not one of you hold a higher ideal in your heart? Do none of you have a belief you would die for?"

Still no movement.

"I am not surprised." Xor holds out his left hand and calls his ring back. "Take them to the cells."

One of his aides begins pulling prisoners to their feet and shoving them in the direction of the ship's hold.

Hm. Haven't heard anything from-.

"Illustres to Lantern Gardner. Still in one piece?"

"P-lease." Guy's face appears over my ring. "What kinda Honor Guard Lantern can't take a little fleet? Be with yah in a couple minutes."

"See you shortly." I look over to Xor. "I'm heading to Vega next, so if you want you can stay here."

"No. I will accompany you. I wish to see how you handle multiple groups of dishonourable people." He grimaces. "I believe that I will have to do that myself."

"Okay then. Next stop, Vega."

Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
  16. Ganurath

Ganurath Apologizes For Nothing

So, Xor, what are your feelings and genocide and/or arachnophilia?

17. Sceptic

Sceptic Critical Irrationalist

Call me hopelessly vanilla if you like, but I think I'll give genocidal arachnophilia a miss.

18. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Wouldn't be Guy otherwise.

Can't count on your opponent having the same goals you do, after all.

Makes sense, especially in an urban environment. Don't want them going nose-first into something valuable.

Looks like he's taking well to a command position.

Sensible. no point wasting resources on low-profit situations.

And still honorable. Good man.

He wants them healthy enough to not die, of course.

Appropriate.

I'm impressed at the strength to do that. Not of body, but of character.

No takers? Anyone? Bueller?

Sensible, learning from the best.

A nice finish to the situation, and you've got to wonder what the ones who got away will think... Let's hope no reprisals against... No, let's hope they do make reprisals against other War Hounds. Show them just who they're serving!

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
  19. Mr Zoat

Xor would feel little or nothing for the Citadel, as they waged war on everyone and as such have no right to complain when someone wages it back.
    He would feel a degree of fellowship with Jarko, who armed an underclass kept down by a high-handed government.

20. Twilight666

Twilight666 I trust you know where the happy button is?

Hey Mr Zoat found a minor inconsistency
    So at the start of this episode Artemis and Paul talked about names
    And I thought this was mentioned before (especially the spelling). And it did.
    As a result of the whole 'saying his name while in heaven'
    they talked about it when they met again

Bramble Thorn, Prince Charon and PDV like this.
  21. FreeGod

FreeGod If you see a God on the road fuck it!

Green lanterns can make their constucts much stronger without going crazy. I expect that Guy can tank quite a bit more than Paul can using a straight forward shield. Of course Paul is unlikely to ever use a straight forward shield if he can help it.

22. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Was that little speech publicly broadcast? Would have helped, me thinks.

23. Nioz

Nioz Know what you're doing yet?

Remind me again, is Illustres Paul the continuity where Starman was saved, or was that the Graven/NewGod Paul continuity?

24. Buggy123

Buggy123 I trust you know where the happy button is?

A public broadcast of the sentencing/mortal combat of the old officials might be a little too on the nose for what Xor is going for.

Sure, it'll get the message across, but it also rather has implications about what the future governance is going to act like if you punch someone's spleen through their eye socket on live television.

25. Mr Zoat

Having seen the original Ophidian merger, Artemis doesn't take anything he says while being a snake as necessarily being his considered opinion.
    Which Starman? Jack Knight is quite happily running his bric-a-brac shop in the SI's timeline.

26. CTrees

CTrees Chasing the ring

So that's a "yes" to the arachnophobia? Time to go find those sexy, single, giant spiders!

27. Sockmonkey

Sockmonkey I trust you know where the happy button is?

Once again, Xor is fucking awesome.
    Minor nitpick: Space fighters are not going to be using the mark 1 eyeball to look at anything directly, and their sensors are going to see a good bit outside the visible spectrum.

Prince Charon likes this.
  28. Mr Zoat

The fighters here are aerofighters. As noted earlier, the Alignment doesn't really use attack craft as part of their navy.

29. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

This seems like it would be a good opportunity to show Xor where ideals like honor or honesty come from. They’re developed when people have to work together and can’t afford to lie to one another for profit, because they know that there’s others who want to screw them over, and you don’t want to get your allies angry at you

30. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

If you’re referring to the alien Starman who was originally Prince Gavyn of the Crown Imperium, he showed up in the Renegade timeline during the Vega missions, though I can’t remember the specific details. He hasn’t shown up in the Paragon timeline at least.

I may have forgotten stuff, but are there chapters showing how Common Sense Paul dealt with the whole Nabu issue? Because if he doesn’t end up falling out with the League, that could change a lot of things, potentially including none of the alleviation of extraterrestrial violence and oppression.
    Of course as wonderful as Common Sense is, that iteration is probably far weaker and limited than other versions without having merged with the Ophidian or adopted New God technology (unless he’s more sensible than Renegade and appropriates a Mother Box instead). No risk, no reward, I suppose.

Prince Charon likes this.