1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

See? Confusing.

I don't have issues with him? Are you confusing me with Maxx Crowley?

Yeah, but I can do all these things without honor. It is not a consideration necessary to do the right or morale thing.

It just seems to be this little extra ego-boosting tack on. Unnecessary.

2. Sockmonkey

Sockmonkey I trust you know where the happy button is?

I have to disagree. He's growing in wisdom and developing as a character in general. The word "honor" gets tossed around a lot sure, but Xor's take on it and sense of responsibility make it into a proper ethical code rather than the semi-arbitrary set of rules some cultures use as a patch to keep everyone from killing each other.

3. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

What I understand honor to be is the alignment of the self to a code, whether a moral one or a legal one. You pick what is right, a goal to strive towards and you don’t break that code. What Xor seems to mean by honor is morality. He understands that different people have different morality systems, but he expects them to always if possible do what they consider to be right instead of what they consider to be easy. That is what I believe he means by honor. The key point, however, is that honor is not the moral system itself, but the following of it.
    More accurately, what Zoat seems to have written them with is a sense of obedience to morality / law. Not a sense of obedience / loyalty to legal authority. That comes from the first. This isn’t exactly honor in the classical military sense.

Edit: What Bushido and Chivalry both had was the need to obey authority over your own sense of morality. And now that I actually think about it, that is what Xor seems to have, though I would say that that is not “Honor”. That is something else.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
  4. SirKaid

SirKaid Know what you're doing yet?

Should be right hand.

Avatar is one of the best cartoons I've ever seen and Zuko (especially in season two) is a large part of that. I highly recommend it.

DrThoth likes this.
  5. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

The title of this episode confuses and intrigues me; the closest I can think of is something to do with the (evil) Morris dancers but unless Paragon spends only the first few updates in Vega then I don’t see how that’s possible.

I’m glad he’s following up on his actions though- he should value that as a key distinction between him and well-meaning typical superheroes, which should be fresh on his mind after the Crime Syndicate episode.

moralrelativity, Vorian and Ngamer11 like this.
  6. Simonbob

Simonbob Really? You don't say.

As best I can tell, honor is about 3 things.

1)Trust. An honorable person is reasonably predicable, and can be worked with. They won't screw you over, etc. And, to people who have social skills, it generaly shows. This is an 'in person' thing.

2)Efficency. This in a big part of the military advantage. When you have limits on your actions, the choice is simple, thus the action is fast, and often more effective.

3)Reputation. An honorable person gains a good rep easily, they don't have to do anything except stick to their code. That can have all sorts of long term advantages.

It's true you don't need honor, but it still has serious upsides. It works better when you can be challenged directly on your actions, as most can't today.

You know, sometimes I think we need to bring back Duels. I say that not including my intense desire to stab a few people.

7. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

On the other hand, don’t watch Korra: it’s not Avatar, but it’s own thing, which I (as a huge fan of Avatar) found to be bad. It focused too much on teenage romance for one, and not enough on the humor or the adventure, or even the character arcs. It was too spread out in what it tried to do.
    Most of the other things from the same people (Voltron, Dragon Prince) also tended to be closer to Korra. Haven’t watched She-RA yet, but I heard some good things about the main villain actually being competent. For example, when his local officer (who has some sort of obsession with She-Ra) urges him to go after She-RA he replaces her as the local leader with someone less obsessive and orders her to go after everything else to do with conquering the world.

8. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

Here’s the slight difference, once you think about it. Xor doesn’t just have honor. He has something like Chivalry, which stresses obedience to a leader. The two seem to be conflated here, whereas in true meaning they are not.

Prince Charon likes this.
  9. w34v3r

w34v3r Versed in the lewd.

I'm sorry but at what point does the ability to multiply your power several fold for short bursts, an energy blade that greatly widens the threshold people have pass to be able to ignore your attacks, actually trying to kill your enemy instead of playing around for seven episodes, or fucking instant teleportation not count as incredibly useful utility techniques?

Furthermore yes, goku has demonstrated time and again that he will in fact let people way down on the totem pole kick him around outside of combat. The point isn't to beat anyone into submission, it's to Gib's slap them when they're being stupid.

Vorian likes this.
  10. Queshire

Queshire Not too sore, are you?

I liked Korra. It did a lot for world building the setting. Also had a queer romance revealed in the very last scene which is largely considered poorly done, but hey, at least they tried.

11. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

Having thought about it some more - further examples of schizo tech include a bunch of stuff by the red ribbon army, as well as all the technology that went into making Cell.

12. w34v3r

The problem on that end is less that people hoard the god tier super tech that lets you make arbitrarily powerful super beings, but more that they never do anything with it once they track down the data and lab of the mad scientist who invented it.

Ardy likes this.
  13. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

Personally, I feel like the world building of Korra involved a bit too much of stuff that happened long in the past. Most of the world building of Avatar was location based, giving a feeling of each location they went to before moving on fairly quickly. Korra spent too much time in one place, and had too little relevant world building. Most of the world building that happened revolves around the Avatar mythos, or about politics, as opposed to the mythos of individual world locations. The world of Korra might as well have only had 2 locations: Republic city and the South Pole. Avatar had a different setting every few episodes which allowed for new location building, which I like a lot more than world building.
    Mostly though, Korra had too much drama and emotions for my liking. Too much about a teenager trying to find a place in the world for my high school self who was kind of closed off from the world at large. I was kind of very not social outside my small group of friends, and I really didn’t care to hear about other people’s emotions.
    It was fine, just a bit boring.

Drode, Aeess and Jormuungaand like this.
  14. Queshire

Queshire Not too sore, are you?

Fair enough. Different things for different peeps.

15. Simonbob

Simonbob Really? You don't say.

Chivalry's an honor code.

There are many honor codes, they vary from culture to culture.

I see honor as having a code, and living it. As such, Chivalry in a part of honor.

16. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

While I agree with your definition, I’d argue that honor is part of chivalry, but not the whole of it. Also, I think that you can’t program just honor, since you need to program a code. So Xor is programmed with an honor code, not just honor itself. The honor would reinforce the programming by making him accept it as honorable.

17. Senevri

Senevri Not too sore, are you?

Is that a flag I see before me?

Ardy likes this.
  18. Sceptic

Sceptic Critical Irrationalist

All this talk of honour reminds me of the following: "She offered her honour, he honoured her offer, and all night long it was honour and offer."

That is all.

Prince Charon likes this.
  19. Ideomancer

Ideomancer Getting out there.

The trouble is that 'Honor' is just a catchall term for the recognition of socially acceptable behavior. Anything can be 'honorable' seen through the lense of a culture that values it, and someone who doesn't value it can leverage it to encourage the behavior they want in people while minimizing their own obligation to it to keep up appearances. But that's all it is: a measure of personal social consonance. When you call a Klingon an honorable Klingon, it just means that he's socially consonant by the standards of Klingon culture, which may be brutish and small minded to an outsider, and by the same token what is honorable to a Human or a Vulcan may be seen as mystifying or weak by a Klingon. A Ferengi's honor, though they might not call it that, is measured at the end of a ledger and by his shareholders, and most outsiders would view it as little more than a litany of successful sinning.

The only things they'll all agree are honorable will be demonstrated through values that all cultures in any given exchange share, and it will rarely be concretely defined because those values are all contextualized by their cultures to begin with. Without the context of the moral and ethical judgements they have to make on a day to day basis, it's all fairly abstract.

So it's not that honor is a dumb, convoluted concept so much as it's a very limited oversimplification of a whole /bunch/ of convoluted concepts of varying moral and ethical substance often gauged outside of the milieu in which they are envisioned or enacted by their associated moral and ethical actors.

In this specific case, it could be said that what Xor is asking isn't really whether or not he is 'honorable', or what might 'dishonor' him in this situation, but simply questioning the extent of his personal responsibility within the conceptual framework provided by the sense of honor he was imprinted with, and exploring whether or not his solution for dealing with dishonorable/criminal elements might lead to more criminal behavior rather than curtailing it...which isn't a bad thought to be holding in mind while sitting in judgement of others. The punishment should fit the crime more than it is a crime itself, otherwise justice is just a shell game of wrongs disguised as redress.

20. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.

Bramble Thorn likes this.
  21. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Honor also includes things like honor killings of family members or the suicide of japanese nobles. Bad things can also be "honorable".

And the duel comment is hopefully a joke?

I like this description. But it also confirms my feelings that "honor" is a superfluous concept. Every civilised person can act decently without needing "honor" as an incentive or guideline.

22. Gantradies

Gantradies Not too sore, are you?

to be fair, Zuko was horrifically traumatized- his lunatic father essentially shattered his entire world/self-identity out of petty spite over what was (especially given the kid's age) a completely reasonable bit of criticism on the current campaign-he genuinely felt it was all he had left >.<

Eld_Tiger likes this.
  23. Maxx Crowley

Maxx Crowley I trust you know where the happy button is?

Which only one guy, who is an utter genius at fighting, only managed to learn after months of intense training, given by an actual god, on a planet with hyper gravity. Also? Said technique does immense damage to the body of the user.

What practical applications are there for the Kaio-ken that a normal, everyday person would need? Hard, physical labor comes to mind. But the only type that might qualify, there are literally machines created to do the work for you.

Practical applications please?

Which again, requires intense training to learn. With only one guy having done so. With a certain special sensory ability required to make it actually useful so that you aren't just flinging yourself into the aether.

And again, it's Goku. Not exactly the brightest bulb in the bunch, who has a very narrow group of interests.

Which of course, singles you out as an asshole. While in the process, pisses off a group of monstrously powerful people. Go ahead, slap Piccolo or Vegeta upside the head because they aren't doing something you think they should be doing.

infinityDivided likes this.
  24. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

Chivalry was not a single code. It's "the quality that makes knights knightly." Some historical codes of chivalry actually DID emphasize doing what's right over doing what you're told; a good knight would protect his lord, even from the lord's own errors. Knights errant, in particular, put their entire focus on doing what was good for the people.

Seppuku being honorable makes sense. If you've been sentenced to capital punishment for doing something particularly bad, then administering your own punishment certainly sends a message to the world that you have taken responsibility for your actions. (To be fair that was sometimes merely a polite fiction, and people were sometimes forced to do so for no honorable reason; THAT'S just cruel torture. But that doesn't mean that it's automatically, universally bad. As always, culture has to be taken into consideration.)

Honor killings, on the other hand, were... really just vengeance and spite given a veneer of legitimacy. They weren't actually honorable, even in their own original contexts, just a way of trying to clean up after something dishonorable and head off a bigger scandal.

25. Ardy

Ardy I trust you know where the happy button is?

I think you're forgetting that only Goku can travel between planets. As long as Paul is doing FTL stuff there's basically nothing they can do save blowing up the planet they're on out of spite.

Or making a wish on the Dragon, but they have enough issues with the number they already need per year.

26. Maxx Crowley

OL's ring charge will be a problem. If he starts off without a Lantern battery, any sort of conflict will be undesirable. With one, the battles will still be Endurance matches against him.

Hell, even Raditz with his 1200 power level was stated to move at FTL speeds. That could be a mistranslation in both the anime and manga adaptations that I have read/watched, but it is there.

Finally, just like how Black Adam was able to catch OL by hearing changes in the wind or something, I would not count out the Z-fighters sensory abilities allowing them to aim, not where OL is, but where he is going. It's basically already happened on Earth 16 after all.

There is also the question of what OL, the guy who doesn't like to fight, has that can actually hurt them. He isn't OL-16, so he doesn't have the exotic shizo tech stuff. I don't see his rail gun doing him much good, or surviving even a casual ki blast.

Well right there. I imagine OL would be more interested in the magic of the dragon, then "Beating them upside the head" over their fighting techniques not being widely shared to a race that can't really even use them anyway.

Vorian and infinityDivided like this.
  27. w34v3r

Not getting the rest of your family and planet's population killed IS a practical application. Utility techniques don't mean non-combat, it just mean that the technique itself isn't a direct attack.

King kai has trained others in the multiplier technique in the past, and goku himself might be able to teach it. Hell most of the z-fighters have gone through the initial stages. Same for the teleport technique. Hell Goku's supposed fighting genius shouldn't even apply to that one.

Ardy likes this.
  28. Maxx Crowley

Who are you talking about here?

Who? Because I have read the entire manga, and no such person ever shows up.

Should, but never has obviously.

You'd think. But given that none of them have used either of King Kai's techniques, they obviously don't know them. Considering Piccolo's regeneration ability, and how he's been left behind. One would think he'd be using the Kaio-ken. But no.

Debatable, as we do not know anything about how the technique works.

Again, highly debatable as Goku has shown throughout his entire life to either learn at a glance, or learn much more instinctively, how certain things work. All while those around him struggle to do the same.

Cuchulin likes this.
  29. Sockmonkey

Sockmonkey I trust you know where the happy button is?

When a set of rules, rather than ethics are the highest arbiter of behavior, it always leads to fucked up shit.
    As D&D has shown us, there is no set of rules so all-encompassing that some asshole can't figure out how to game the system.

Simonbob likes this.
  30. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

I don't know. Are you looking at a flag?