1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Khettien

Khettien Perpetually confused

There's a significant difference between carnivorism and anthropophagy, you know. Sadly, the literal definition of anthropophagy doesn't seem to consider nonhuman intelligence, but English is like that.

To quote Schlock Mercenary - "Food that talks isn't food."

Last edited: Aug 28, 2019
  2. Simonbob

Simonbob Really? You don't say.

....... I wonder what a parrot dish might be like.

3. Buggy123

Buggy123 I trust you know where the happy button is?

Honestly, if you have space ships and FTL but you're still making meat by growing a entire animal, you're probably either stupid, barbarians, or rich. Or all of the above.

You can eat whatever kind of meat you want if all you have to do is drop some muscle cell samples into a vat filled with the local equivalent of 20$ worth of chemicals and nutrients. Growing a entire animal is inefficient; it grows slowly, it's filled with things that aren't tasty meat, and they do lots of things other than 'grow more meat as quickly as possible'.

4. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

I love how Paul is the only hero who doesn't try to justify every action but is instead all: "Actually,I just don't care about you."

5. Chaoswind

Chaoswind Lord of nonsense

This update is the perfect segway into REAL Grayven (from original pauls universe) to make his entrance and conquer Karna. I believe he has a bunch of Gordanian clans and fleets as his troops and that they control a planet/systems they renamed 'New Gordane', so he may intercede to save the Gordanian 'homeworld' (because as stated, everyone in Vega was seeded there by the psions) and stop the slave revolt. He may even add the Karnans to his warband, and he could probably recruit more people from Vega, and nominally add most of the sector to his holdings; would be funny if he marries Black Fire too.

Ardy likes this.
  6. Queshire

Queshire Not too sore, are you?

Even reaching FTL doesn't promise that they have the tech for that. Admittedly they could then obtain it from someone that does, but I wouldn't call it a core technology for space age civilizations.

7. Buggy123

Buggy123 I trust you know where the happy button is?

True, it's not exactly a prerequisite, but their technological development would be rather strangely lopsided if they didn't have that. Technically, we can grow vat meat just fine; we just can't get normal consistency muscle tissue because that's developed through exercise, and we haven't yet developed a way to bypass or simulate that in-vitro.

FTL is generally not the easiest of things to accomplish, so having that much development in the hard sciences but next to none in the biological would be strange. It'd be like having flying cars but no indoor plumbing; either your species has a serious one-track mind problem, or there's some sort of cultural stigma against toilets.

(And this is ignoring any overlap that might occur, like "hey, if we're going to spend a long while in space, it'd sure be nice to have some source of meat without carrying a mini-ranch on every ship...")

8. Sockmonkey

Sockmonkey I trust you know where the happy button is?

Yep. It's like in Civilization where hitting the prerequisites for a particular tech also open access to others.

Buggy123 likes this.
  9. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Nearly. While the planet is called Karna, the karnans are the cat-looking ones and the gordanians are the lizard-looking ones. The Supreme Commander is karnan.
    The SI's original universe is Universe Prime, where we live. I really hope that there isn't a Grayven around here anywhere.

Grayven 16's people were last seen in the Periphery on the other side of the galaxy. While they could return to the old homeworld, it wouldn't be a fast trip.

Karnans wouldn't accept integration with gordanians at this stage.

10. Aeess

Aeess I trust you know where the happy button is?

Doesn't Universe Prime have Kryptonians(as comics and real aliens)? Why wouldn't it have New Gods?

Cuchulin likes this.
  11. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

And almeraci (A child's parents sent their only son to Earth as their planet was going to be destroyed, where he landed in Australia, and became Ultraa, in New Earth continuity Ultraa is an Almeraci like Maxima, so presumably his Earth Prime doppelganger is also Almeraci), coluans, trommites, durlans, Bgztlians, talokians, and daxamites because there's a Legion of Superheroes from Earth Prime.

Aeess likes this.
  12. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Mr Zoat, I edit the TV tropes page. I currently have Sinestro 50's ring named as such, or simply Sinestro's ring. Is that the right name, or would Sinestro AI, or some other name, be more accurate? What do you call him?

Prince Charon likes this.
  13. BartlettMagic

BartlettMagic peekaboo, you fucks you!

damn, Zoat teachin' me vocab an shit

14. Mr Zoat

I don't call him anything. The Renegade calls him 'Sinestro', and the ring identifies as that.

Ardy, Bramble Thorn, Ngamer11 and 4 others like this.
  15. Gantradies

Gantradies Not too sore, are you?

Tell that to Schlock >.<

16. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

Meh. I like PF1e better than PF2e.

More like "Here is a rifle. Once you understand how to aim it, operate it, and perform maintenance on it, we'll see about getting you some ammunition." Which is actually something that gets done in real life sometimes. (Sydney got a bum deal having to assemble it from parts.) But the big difference is that a rifle left to its own devices won't crave the delicious skull-meat of the living.

I think you meant "they pull their" or "they draw their".

17. Mr Zoat

No army with any choice does basic training in an active war zone. A level 1 adventurer should have passed basic.
    No, that was the SI noticing where they came from and realising that it was important.

18. Maxx Crowley

Maxx Crowley I trust you know where the happy button is?

But what if it tastes like crap?

Bramble Thorn and Cuchulin like this.
  19. Mr Zoat

Is it me or is Batman aiming at completely the wrong target? They now know that Apokolips has operatives on Earth. They have contact with the New Gods, so they know what that means and who they are. And... Rather than debate the utility of killing the Apokoliptians who are wandering around in public, he's... Fighting a social media war by faking major crimes and having the Outsiders stop them? Even if they wins, how does that help anyone?

20. Dur'id the Druid

Dur'id the Druid Know what you're doing yet?

General question, did anyone do an omake or something from the debriefing of the Justice League OL defeated awhile back?

Bramble Thorn likes this.
  21. Mr Zoat

Not that I noticed.

22. LazySloth13

LazySloth13 Versed in the lewd.

Yeah a major problem for the League in Canon and in story is that they're to used to direct confrontation, or as some would put it "righteous face-punching", along with following rules mandated by the U.N. and even after they started their own covert-ops teams none of them are playing on the same level as the villains or by the same rules.

Plus just like you(Mr. Zoats) pointed out that with your X-com analogy the League hasn't put much effort in researching and upgrading their existing power base.

Then there's how the show focuses on interpersonal drama between the characters who want to stop the Light but don't want to cross certain lines because they're suppose to be heroes or let their own personal views on what's right or wrong.

Ardy, Ngamer11, Prince Charon and 3 others like this.
  23. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

Which is why later level adventurers can learn without training. Most classes don’t get more than cantrips, and like mentioned above there’s expansions for low level undead you can summon with lower level spells.

Cuchulin likes this.
  24. Jirachi

Jirachi I trust you know where the happy button is?

...I just noticed that there's at least a couple of people that Paul should probably Danner: The marvels, the atom, Kord...
    More if it turns out to work fine on metahumans and magic users.
    I'd think that most of them don't mind agumentations such as that.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2019
    Ardy, DrThoth and Cuchulin like this.
  25. Ganurath

Ganurath Apologizes For Nothing

"Hey, Billy, what's with the fancy collar?"

"Uhh..."

Ardy, nobodez, Cuchulin and 1 other person like this.
  26. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

It should be fine for magic-users since Teth-Adom was Dannered (though even then he probably doesn’t revert to his human form much) with no evident negative effects.

I understand why giving a lot of people Flash-level super-speed would make conflict harder to write but the fact that there’s only been one ring-based Garrick formula recipient up till now, compared to Danner, is a bit baffling, considering the advantages they would bring. I suppose in hindsight using the ring to perfectly administer alchemical formulas shouldn’t have really been an option.

Cuchulin and Aeess like this.
  27. Jirachi

Jirachi I trust you know where the happy button is?

Maybe for some of them? But say, the lanterns have public identities, and Kord could plausibly get all kinds of access to Paul's stuff from his buisness relationship. Even the secret identity ones could probably figure something out.

Ardy and Cuchulin like this.
  28. TheEyes

TheEyes Well worn.

Except the metaphysics of the D&D world is very different from Earth Normal. For one, you literally can't learn new things above a certain threshold, even academic knowledge, without participating in life-or-death combat; it's written into the structure of the universe by the Gods or whatever. Which, when you think about it, makes sense in context: casting a magic spell in D&D erases the knowledge from your mind and you need to re-learn how to cast it. Every. Time.

Which, yes, is bizarre, but it's a core facet of the D&D world. Vancian magic is weird.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2019
    DAT_NOOB likes this.
  29. nobodez

nobodez Bringer of Context

That’s not how it works, at least not since 3rd edition if not earlier. You’re pre-casting the spell during the preparation time aside from the final bits of magic that can be done in a few seconds (at least for most wizard spells). Sorcerers and Bards have a pool of magic they deplete, and clerics, druids, rangers, and paladins eeceive their spells with prayer/faith.

30. iamnuff

iamnuff Connoisseur.

Billy wouldn't need a collar, that was for Artemis to turn off her super-strength while she got used to it.
    Billy has had superstrength in his Captain Marvel form since day one. He already knows how to control it.

Besides, Robin already showed that the power nullfier can be turned into a bracer, so it can probably go in a belt too.
    The collar was just because Paul still had his head stuck in the form of the original power-nullifying collar from Waller's prison.