1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, fixed.
    Renegade Savitar... Had a little accident.

2. CTrees

CTrees Chasing the ring

New arc for In Praise of Eros?

3. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

Will we find out what the accident was?
    I’m guessing something to do with Renegade-Shade since he was targeting Kobra and Savitar seems to have ties to them.

Bramble Thorn and Ardy like this.
  4. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

Not orange ones. Orange ones make it worse.

Vorian, DAT_NOOB and Lord Ernest like this.
  5. Mr Zoat

Probably not. I haven't really decided.

6. Massgamer

Massgamer Not too sore, are you?

Oh jeez, really Paul? Certainly you are genre savvy enough to notice the trap of that thinking.

At the very least you should have told the parties involved you would be right back so no one thinks to try anything once they realize you are gone.

7. Jirachi

Jirachi I trust you know where the happy button is?

If Paul thinks that Zattana has recovered well enough to still recieve gifts and such, it might be worthwhile to see if she could do well with a different colored power source - perhaps getting Kalmin to make a blue light device, or asking a Controller to create an orange light system. It's probably something worth pursuing, since I don't *think* that the limitations of magic in space would particularily apply to the energy drawing system that she was using.

DrThoth and DAT_NOOB like this.
  8. Mr Zoat

If he really wanted Giovanni to shank him, yes, he could do that.

9. Jirachi

Jirachi I trust you know where the happy button is?

*shrug* Suppose so.
    Still, it might be worthwhile to see if other magic users can take advantage of it - Wouldn't be surprised if say, Bierce could get a lot out of it or the atlanteans on the team.It has the added bonus that the R&D for it has probably basically already been done, since it seems like all that would be required would just be sticking a lantern or ring on the staff of.

DrThoth and DAT_NOOB like this.
  10. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

Honesty the best thing you can do to mess with Luthor is point out how Lex Luthor is his own worst enemy.

11. Aeess

Aeess I trust you know where the happy button is?

It would probably be more useful to give a orange power source to Robert instead of Zatanna, since we know that his abilities also allow the absorption of emotional light and his greatest desire seems is to become a Superhero similar to Superman. It would also be good replacement for the Sword of Beowulf. But maybe include that guide about the Orange Light so he doesn't end up like the comic version of himself.

Vorian, Cuchulin and Chaoswind like this.
  12. Chaoswind

Chaoswind Lord of nonsense

I think you did say something of the matter, but I am not sure of the context.

It may have been a response in jest since at the time people were debating a lot about Paul being a spider fucker. I think the comment was more among the lines of how this Spider Guild strand was heavy into biotechnology and how the queen could/would change her appearance to make future diplomacy with aliens easier... However I don't remember if it went beyond the hypothetical.

DAT_NOOB, Cuchulin and Ardy like this.
  13. OrigamiPhoenix

OrigamiPhoenix Getting sticky.

OL's really flexing his gimme-porting power, huh?

Bramble Thorn likes this.
  14. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Paul procrastinating because he doesn't want to meet with his spider girlfriend amuses me greatly.

15. Tasoli

Tasoli Keyboard Warrior

You are what second clone of Mr Zoat at this point? I am really not surprised there are missing parts and pieces.

I mean don't get me wrong you are good copy. Hardly notice the difference really.

16. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

Surely it must be done now?

17. Jormuungaand

Jormuungaand Out of work World Serpent

Who the heck is Shirley?
    :D

18. Ganurath

Ganurath Apologizes For Nothing

Obsidian's mother.

19. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

I don’t recall Robert ever absorbing emotional light...did he do that in the fight against the dragon? It does seem plausible but I’m just not sure.

Kon should give Robert that sword Paragon forged in the Queen of Fables episode, seems like it would be conducive to enchantment. In fact I hope all League and Team members have at least some oricalchum or other mystic-metal implements for use, just like simple knives. Oricalchum-thread to reinforce armor or shape runes on everyone’s equipment could be cool too- I believe you can use tunes to gather and channel ambient magic so non-magic users should also be able to benefit, if relatively less so.

Cuchulin, Ardy and Jormuungaand like this.
  20. Jormuungaand

Jormuungaand Out of work World Serpent

Good to know but I was making an Airplane! joke.

21. Aeess

Aeess I trust you know where the happy button is?

No, but we saw his father absorb the black light from one of Dark Druids zombies.
    Thanks to the training of his great grandfather his offensive potential shouldn't really be lacking, what he really needs at the moment would be a power source for his spells. And I doubt there is enough magic in his surroundings outside of places like Themyscira or Atlantis, to allow him to recharge faster than his costly spells like flying would cost him.

DrThoth, Jormuungaand and DAT_NOOB like this.
  22. Cuchulin

Cuchulin Versed in the lewd.

You have good taste in Movies, even the Joker admits that Leslie Nielsen is a comedic genius which is like half the reason he keeps going after Batman.

23. Threadmarks: Jiggity-Jig (part 13)
    Mr Zoat

8th February
    22:18 GMT

and

back in, surprised Spider Guild members scuttling back nervously. I'm on an… Open-plan bridge, on a space station of some kind. From the rough-hewn walls I'm going to assume that they built it into an asteroid. Not a normal Guild practice, but I suppose that they did rather have to hit the ground running with regard to their treaty refit commitments.

"At-will teleportation?" Fhomalhopos steps off his dais, though given how Guilders move it looks more like he's flowing. "Is that new, Orange Lantern?"

"I've learned it since I last left Vega. How have you been doing?"

He makes a rasping-sigh noise. "Busy dealing with the constant nagging of our new partners. I decided to rush our first dock rather than build the entire generation in a more efficient manner in order to satisfy them. Dealing with inefficient alien egotists isn't something I thought would be part of my job… But as the Queen commands."

"No big problems?"

"We're making ships and guns for people I instinctively believe should be our enemies. Beyond that, nothing worth talking about."

"So if I took a look in your refrigerators..?"

"The meat would genetically match various people, but it's all cloned from tissue samples. It is no longer practical for us to kill intelligent prey."

I shake my head. "Why..? Did you do it in the first place?"

"I'm not sure." He comes level with me and stops. "A combination of our distant ancestors' primary source of food also being intelligent and thus us never really developing an instinctive aversion to the practice, and the social conditioning of growing up in a society where such things are normal. Of course, we are having to cut down on the usual manifestations of our dietary habits now. It will be interesting to see whether they survive more familiar contact with other species."

He turns his head around to take in his subordinates and makes a rasping-click noise. Slightly crouched in shame, they return to their work stations.

"What can we do for you?"

"I'm checking up on you. And I want to speak to the Queen."

"She is.. not directly involved in this work. I will be happy to show you anything you like." He gestures to the doors. "We have even modified former holding pens into places for humanoid entertainment."

"The two requests weren't dependent. I want to speak to her regardless of what I find here."

"She cannot presently leave her current environment. Is your environmental shield sterile?"

"Yes."

"Then you will be able to visit her." He flows past me and heads for the door out of the room. "Would you like to interview our current guests?"

I look around, staring through the rock and metal surrounding us. Guilders are distinct enough from humanoids that I can tell the difference easily enough. Ring?

Scans are unimpeded. Multiple members of local irregular groups present. None significantly injured or in distress.

Which matches with what… I'm… Seeing…

I tilt my head slightly at-. Really? I mean, consenting adult sophonts in private, but really?

"No, that's… Fine. Are you having any trouble with the other Guild Nests?"

"Some have made representations. Offers of aid in exchange for our virtual enslavement. We have passed on all so far."

He accelerates and I float behind him as we pass through another door and down a corridor.

"Strand-Captain, if there are any problems emerging, it would behoove you to make me aware of them now, while I can still do something about them."

"Oh?" Three eyes rotate my way. "You didn't say that you were acting as a guarantor for our agreement. Has something happened?"

"The karnans are in the process of reconquering Karna."

"Yes?"

"As you may remember, I dislike pointless slaughter."

"What I heard from Amalak's people about your treatment of the last Citadelians suggests that your dislike is not universal."

"No, it's just not overwhelming. For example, if you'd told me that you were eating slaves, I would have overcome it."

"It would be impractical to get enough." A couple more of his eyes focus on me. "And impolitic, given that they would be the same species as our business partners."

"I suppose that's an adequate reason."

He enters a code to open the door, granting us access to a short section of corridor to the next door. They're both reinforced, designed to form seals in the event that part of the station becomes decompressed. The door we just passed closes firmly before the next one begins opening. The wall on the far side is transparent, giving anyone looking a clear view of a colossal space within the asteroid.

Fhomalhopos scuttles out and gestures towards the scene on the far side. There are eight ships of various classes and in various states of assembly parked around the edge of the interior space, work crews of Guilders and robotic drones visible all around. Using them to judge scale… Not huge ships, but certainly not tiny.

"We're working on the ships of some of the more vocal officers here. Small ships will be serviced in more conventional space docks. Commodore Amalak is 'giving' us some of his older ships to allow us to accelerate our dock-building program."

"Thoughtful."

"I thought that it was admirably rational, given that we would primarily be using them for him. Would you like to see them?"

"And there weren't any explosives or monitoring devices in them?"

"Bombs, no. Monitoring devices, yes. We left them in place. We would not be so foolish as to do anything we wished to keep concealed where they could easily see it, and their presence may reassure him."

"And are you doing anything you wish to keep concealed?"

He wiggles his mandibles.

"Strand-Captain Fhomalhopos, I want this region peaceful. I'm not exactly going to be impressed-."

"We do not plan to initiate martially aggressive action. It would be foolish of us to do so. If you wish to know more about our plans, you will have to speak to the Queen."

"That's something else I want to ask you about. Why do you even have a Queen? Shouldn't the title be Guildmaster or 'Hive Father' or 'Hive Mother'?"

His eyes wheel in all directions. Discomfort and embarrassment. "Those who would have ruled this Nest were killed in transit. We do not believe that the people who killed them even realised who they had killed. The Queen took over organising us after that point."

"Alright, but what is she? I know perfectly well that female Spider Guilders don't usually look like that."

"That is something which you will have to ask her as well. I-." He touches his collar for a moment. "Ah. It seems that she is ready to receive you."

Last edited: Aug 26, 2019
  24. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Expediency at its finest.

Dealing with inefficient alien egotists isn't something I thought would be part of my job…
    (unless it was an accent?)

Because they can kill you harder now?

Impressive self-reflection.

That would make for an interesting atmosphere...

She's in the middle of laying eggs, isn't she?

Am I missing something, or did you post the wrong picture?

Despite my first instinct, 'behove' is an actual word. I presume 'behoove' is an americanisation.

"Not seeing how that relates to us..."

Extra space at tail end... And is he suggesting he would if he could get enough?

Double space here.

"Besides, they are quite expensive."

Naughty naughty?

But if others attack them, they'll defend themselves.

Ah, it's not an entirely official title.

Oh boy, embarrassment imminent.

Let's see what entanglements OL can get into this time... After all, Guy needs new ammunition :D

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
    Vorian, Bramble Thorn, RGFJ and 15 others like this.
  25. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

That's one accommodating spider.

Everyone in this fic is so rational. Are we sure Paul isn't radiating some kind of "cooler heads prevail" field?

26. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

She's pregnant isn't she? Paul left some skin cells when he was fisting her, and that's all it took to impregnate her, given that humans are the most mutable species.

Calling it right now. Paul is about to become a father.

27. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    History teaches a lesson, often in blood: the rightful king queen is the one who gets crowned.
    Just a reminder what they look like.
    You mean, is the guy whose power is making things he wants to happen making people do what he wants?

Nah.

28. TheEyes

TheEyes Well worn.

Pretty sure that "behove" is just the past tense of "behoove", and that Mr Zoat needs to fix the spelling.

The Americanism is that the US uses "behooved" instead of "behove".

29. Mr Zoat

Huh, weird. My Word's dictionary knew 'behove' but not 'behoove'. Not sure how that happened.

Thank you, corrected.

30. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Icon is a Terminan.

His name is Pren.

Bramble Thorn likes this.