1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. thebishop8

thebishop8 Umm, ackchyually...

, I don't want to become too used to it"

Replacing and with I would seem to fit the sentence better.

*there were

*particular

Oh.

Well, there goes the last excuse Green Lanterns have for not being able to visit Vega.

It's the Psion homeworld.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2019
  2. edmantgoog

edmantgoog Not too sore, are you?

i am confused?

dreaddragonking and Ardy like this.
  3. Sceptic

Sceptic Critical Irrationalist

Yes, yes you are.

4. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Ah, OL being a Shaman of the Orange Light. Wonderful imagery.

Hoo boy. So many viewpoints, so many conflicting desires...

So, OL was practically turning himself into a Construct Lantern? Interesting...

The first alien Starman (Mikaal Tomaz being the second). Did that question earlier remind you of him?

Not the first time a culture has decided disposing of 'spares' reduces conflicting loyalties.

I sense ulterior motives.

No time to just fly about and enjoy the view anymore, eh?

Very astute summary.

Good distinction. Gavyn's a smart one.

Because you didn't want to. One of those 'Gwen Stacy' moments...

I doubt he wants it badly enough.

And of course, none of the nobles could ever believe he actually supported his sister.

Maybe deputise him as a local auxiliary for the Sector Lanterns?

Interesting. Outside influence?

"Like a million voices crying out, then silenced."

Oh, dear. Who did the Psions piss off to warrant this?

And someone just flipped the political table of Vega again. They just finished setting the pieces back up, dammit! At least it wasn't OL this time.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
    sagemo, jonasquinn, Vorian and 20 others like this.
  5. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Psion homeworld.

Seems they distracted OL to destroy it in peace.

Remind me, did he save a few of their young ones? Or was that Grayven? One of them evacuated a teacher who was decent (for a Psion) iirc.

6. hance1986

hance1986 A pitiful excuse for a man.

Wombworld is where the Psions are located, I think.

The psions were attacked?

NightmareWarden likes this.
  7. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.

Bramble Thorn likes this.
  8. Buggy123

Buggy123 I trust you know where the happy button is?

Wait, what?

A highly advanced, well-defended homeworld of the local mad-science race just got slagged in a couple hours?

...By who? With what?!

9. BR549

BR549 This is filth! FILTH!!

Oh dear.

It's not as if it couldn't have happened to a nicer group of people, but given both the fact they deliberately distracted him from it and considering what they were just talking about...

Well, I think we're about to see what a rather peeved Orange Lantern does.

10. ForeverShogo

ForeverShogo Not too sore, are you?

The homeworld of species made up exclusively of alien Dr. Mengeles was destroyed, and nothing of value was lost.

11. thebishop8

thebishop8 Umm, ackchyually...

I've got more old corrections.

Broken link.

*Teekl

Broken link. The product doesn't exist anymore, apparently.

Broken link. Or at least, I don't think it's showing what you want it to.

Broken link. The video is private now.

*confirmation

*confirmation

*thought

Broken link.

Repeated sentence.

So, I looked at the instances August in Iron appeared or was mentioned in the story. At first he's called Captain August in Iron, or Captain Fang. When Grayven and team attack the watchtower, he's called General in Iron twice while still being called Captain Fang:

At the end of March in the Paragon timeline, he's called Colonel:

He's also called Colonel at the end of May in the Renegade timeline, though he claims that he only got the rank with Grayven's help:

Then in the beginning of July in the Paragon timeline, he's called Major Fang:

Going by how the ranking system works, did he get a double promotion and then a demotion in the Paragon timeline?

Now that that's done, I also have two questions. What does sunlight from a blue sun do to kryptonians in your story, and assuming what it does is interesting or different, will we ever see it in action?

12. CTrees

CTrees Chasing the ring

Establish another temple to Hades? Not sure what unintended consequences there might be to flooding the underworld with a genocided species of malignant hypercognitives... But it's probably fine.

Apparently in the comics, Clryssa got assassinated one year into her reign? Not sure if that's already been butterflied, but given the timing of meeting Gavyn and the strike on the wombworld, well, could be interesting... Could even explain why Paul got left waiting so long, if she was busy getting regicided.

13. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

And Zoat improved them from the comics.

In the comics a Psion green lantern named Gorius Karkum revealed that female Psions aren't sociopaths, so to avoid hearing "Have you tried doing science without pointless cruelty?" over the dinner table, the male Psions decided to keep every female Psion in gang rape pens for their entire lives.

So to my surprise I wasn't cynical enough there, the Psions hit rock bottom and then kept digging.

14. Slayer Anderson

Slayer Anderson Orthodox Heretic

That was Grayven.

This... is not going to go over well with Paul, though, Paragon that he is. While he might have been onboard with what Renegade did, simply genociding a species that actually had something of a culture and society to it, not matter how depraved and amoral it is by most standards... yeah, this is problematic. Doubly so because given how it happened, I'm not sure if Paul will be able to accept that they're negotiating 'in good faith' anymore. I'd give even odds on Paul vouchsafing Vega's border personally now, openly stating that any further acts of naked aggressive imperialism by the Crown will be dealt with by him, personally.

I'm also wondering if the greater portion of their society knows that their faction just committed xenocide. Given the earlier line about information controls, maybe not.

15. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

I wonder if this means Grayven (real one) and Paul will meet face to face. How would that conversation go?

Jormuungaand and Prince Charon like this.
  16. Ganurath

Ganurath Apologizes For Nothing

I wonder if this is how Paul finds out that the Psions used to be the pets of the Controllers.

17. Lord Ernest

Lord Ernest At the End...

Gotta share the sentiment, nothing of value was lost. But I honestly can't take this at face value; how would the Crown Imperium destroy the Psions? Their fleet couldn't cross the region controlled by Amalak and Jarko without a fight so how would it get into Vega so easily now? And with how advanced the Psions' weaponry and technology is, where would the Crown Imperium get weapons strong enough to destroy them in so little time? Maybe it was an ongoing thing but then why wouldn't the Illustres sense it if he noticed the "voices silenced" now?

I don't know if the Psions have a fleet, what with how integrated they were in the Citadel's fleet here, but even then they surely would have a satellite defense network and/or anti-orbital weapons, probably pretty destructive and exotic at that. So if a fleet attacked they would need to be several levels over the Psions to not suffer any damage, because if not there would be some proof of who they were just floating in near space. So who did this?

18. Finagle007

Finagle007 [Verified Great Old One]

sagemo, Vorian, Bramble Thorn and 3 others like this.
  19. Mr Zoat

No. Not just a couple of hours.
    Consider that question until tomorrow.

Who had a motive?
    Except all of the slaves they kept as test subjects. And all of their records on who they sold their stuff to and where any psion salespeople in the rest of the universe are. And all of the people who died during the attack.
    Honestly, I've barely looked at that version of Starman. I'm going to say that this version of Oswin is satisfied with his current rate of advancement, though he might get 'Lord Protectory' if things don't keep going his way. Without his revolt a lot of things don't happen.
    Yeah, I decided that retcon was too stupid to even consider including in this story. 'Man bad woman good' is really quite insulting to half our species. Psions 16 reproduce artificially as described when the Renegade visited their crèche.
    Oh, he already knows about that. The Controllers are far happier giving him information than they are the Renegade.
    You may want to think about that statement a little more.

20. Chaoswind

Chaoswind Lord of nonsense

FTL weapon planet killer?

We know such weapons exist, but require having control of several planets/systems in the relativepproximity of the target (earth was close enough to target new gordane the new godanian homeworld that may have been outside Vega) to act as space bridges and that using them causes damage (total damage if the weapon system is dirty enough) to the systems and planets the weapons were build into...

Civilizations that control just a single planet would be extremely vulnerable to these type of weapons, however I would be extremely surprised if Psions didn't have out of phase bunkers capable of surviving the use of such a weapon, probably hyper advanced labs as well.

So I believe the Psions are 99% gone and so are most of their slaves, however important test subjects and hypercognitive scientists probably have survived and will be extremely motivated to use Dooms day weapons on everyone else... I wonder if this is how the thing that made VEGA a space trench (mentioned when Paul went there the first time, how some strange phenomenon distorts light and makes Vega appear closer than it really is) will become plot relevant.

Huh I just figured out that one of the civilizations Grayven 50 conquered was the Crown Imperium... I wonder if their empress was forced to be a consort to the New God of Conquest, to make their take over easier for Grayven and less bloody for the citizens of the Crown Imperium.

Navi-Hank likes this.
  21. Gantradies

Gantradies Not too sore, are you?

and dont forget about the still-gestating/ recently-born children who hadnt been tortureindoctrinated yet, boss!

....TIAMAT. the Slaves, the tech, the archives, the un-indoctrinated minority- what a colossal WASTE- if they were capable of blowing through their defenses,and HOLDING the position long enough to melt the planet down to the mantle...... the individuals responsible, morality aside, were INCREDIBLY stupidly wasteful of a treasure trove of valuable resources-
    and its the Kind of Statement that tends to make your enemies, and allies VERY nervous..

22. Mr Zoat

Actually, no. Grayven 50 built up a force of gordanians, settled them on an unoccupied world, named it 'New Gordane' after the gordanian home continent and built up from there. He actively avoided places like the Crown Imperium, and he had no particular reason to go back that way.

23. CTrees

CTrees Chasing the ring

Who didn't have a motive might be the smaller list... But who had the means is a better question.

I'm going to go for the long shot and guess one of the Tamaraneans. Drama, some people who really Want the Psions dead, and a couple orange rings on the planet.

24. Gantradies

*coughs* Renegade

Ardy and Mr Zoat like this.
  25. Chaoswind

Chaoswind Lord of nonsense

And the Crown Imperium isn't picking a fight with him? Seems odd to say the least.

Gantradies likes this.
  26. Gantradies

... im wondering about the actual motivation/ defensive position of whoever is responsible, wither or not it was the Crown directly or indirectly- Glassing entire populated worlds tends to set a bad precedent, wither its via "conventional" weaponry or some exotic WMD-
    it has a tendency to make the Neighborhood, and the Citizenry nervous- look at Tarkin's idiotic Doctrine- Arguably, DS-1 Mk 1's first "official" Full-power Shot was directly responsible for his nation disintegrating- they must either have....issues with long-term strategic planning, or be very confident about the security of their position, one way or another....

Navi-Hank likes this.
  27. Mr Zoat

Why would they? He's taking a problem and moving it a long way away from them.
    Thank you, corrected.

28. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Retcon? I hardly consider myself an expert on the Psions, but what facts about Psion reproduction/society did that revelation contradict?

I can't really picture a DC comic showing a Psion having a family dinner, throwing the ball with their kid a little bit, then going to the lab to see how much energy they could pump into Starfire and her sister before they blew up like meat balloons.

Also, you also made the sociopathy a matter of indoctrination and not biology, so that's a second way you made them better than the comics.

29. Sordid Snake

Sordid Snake (Verified Viper)

The ones who let Psion super-weapon tech spread to the Alignment (and ONLY the Alignment? Not likley) And quite resonably suspected that OL & Guy went to Vega to investigate the Psion end of the tech transfer. So they nuked it from orbit, to be sure that no witnesses or evidence remained.

But who would know that OL and Guy had discovered that? AFAIK only Guy knows about it. But Guy would have filed a report with OA, or at the very least his ring and the Smurf malware in his ring would know about it.

So the top suspect is Smurf shenanigans (Isn't this the top reason for universal crisi in DC already?).
    Secondly the Manhunters who might have left enough malware on Oa that they read all their in-office mail.
    Thirdly the Quardians: Sinestro might have left either malware or co-conspirators on Oa.

And since the Alignment seems to have resonable anti-green lantern defence (Realignment part 17) I lean towards someone wanting to harm or destroy the GLC by stirring shit up and setting things up that when the single or handful GLs arrive to investigate/suppress they impale themselves on the suprisingly effective defences.

So add the Reach on a shared second place with the Manhunters, but in that case I'm unsure how they got wind of it so fast. Unless they simply assumed that if OL visited the Alignment he WOULD find out.

And as a distant fourth: Real Grayven wanting to prove to daddy that he's a good conspirator and mastermind ("And not dumb, like everybody says!") by destroying the GLC using only his own resources (since Apokolips have used tech transfer as a weapon before).

Simonbob, Cuchulin and CTrees like this.
  30. TheEyes

TheEyes Well worn.

Right, this happened while OL was digging through the Honden, heard a shout, then was too slow to teleport; we're talking seconds at most. I mean, the comparison is to the destruction of Alderan, which in the movie was a single shot that vaporized the planet.

Gantradies and Navi-Hank like this.