1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. egooo

egooo Getting sticky.

Having finally remembered my password, is like to say...

1) To me, that "Orange Night"-event seems more and more likely to happen as a direct consequence of Paul handing off his booklets to everyone.
    Spiders certainly can make "ideal" bearers artificially, albeit given much experimenting.
    The rest of the groups will certainly try something as well.

2) Although I can remember Zoat answering me in SV-thread about a year ago that we won't ever see Paul actually getting to those universes he saw during Jumpbug-april fools...
    I can't help but hope for them still :(
    And with how active he was picking up lantern-candidates lately...

3) And speaking of those chapters, could someone link me to them, please?
    I've lost mine, and is like to re-read them. :3

Cuchulin likes this.
  2. Senevri

Senevri Not too sore, are you?

Here you go.
    Previously, people have guessed that a cape hinders flight. Turns out, even experts guess wrong.
    Of course, we're lacking data on lower, as well as supersonic speeds.

Bramble Thorn and nobodez like this.
  3. Senevri

Senevri Not too sore, are you?

Well, he just spilled the beans to Kara soo... Farm soil cleanup will probably happen at some point.
    Maybe.

OTOH, wasn't it mentioned that those organelles aren't there just for fun, with Kara-16? Soooo... Grayven is literally killing Lord!Superman? Just a question of time scale?

Bramble Thorn and Cuchulin like this.
  4. Buggy123

Buggy123 I trust you know where the happy button is?

I mean, Grayven probably doesn't care that much if he was willing to secretly depower the guy. The fact that he only secretly depowered him was probably just so that he didn't hurt his relations with the other Justice Lords, and because there's really no point in purposefully killing him if merely removing his powers removes him as a threat to Earth-50.

5. hkim

hkim Know what you're doing yet?

You did. Paul didn't. And it's a lot easier to work the light of avarice on someone you desire,I'd imagine.

boo600 and Prince Charon like this.
  6. Threadmarks: Conqueror's Moon (supplementary, SI option)
    Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

11th February 2012
    04:34 GMT

And… Bit more decorative-.

No, no. Any more fretwork and it's just going to get covered in whatever the local moss-analogue is. Simplify it… Yeah. Hades always struck me as the practical sort of god.

**Very Greek.**

I glance back as Blake floats down behind me. I create a construct psi-shield.

"I'm a Hellenist."

He looks at me for a moment, and then bows his head. "Alright, out loud it is then."

"I'd appreciate it. I'm not feeling especially trusting right now."

"Why Hades?" I stare at him, and he gives his head a small shake. "It's on the wrong planet if that's why you built it."

"Neither the karnans nor the gordanians have a God of Death. A lot of people died without funerary rites. Not only can that be deeply unpleasant for the departed, the arcane side effects of spirits remaining in the material world can be dangerous for the people who remain." Oh, right, he left before-. "The existence of the soul-."

Blake nods. "I knew Lance Gallant. I know the sort of power the dead can possess."

"Lord Hades likes to be kept busy. Hopefully, we can come up with a way to lure the unquiet shades of Karna here, and into his care."

"You've met him in person?"

I nod. "Several times."

He frowns faintly. "Hm. I'm curious. What made you convert?"

"I used to be an atheist. Then I received unambiguous evidence that souls, gods, and all that sort of thing exist. At that point, picking an afterlife services provider seemed like a sensible plan. Are you religious at all?"

"No, though I.. do respect your pragmatism. I originally came to Vega because I heard of X'Hal and wondered if she might be like me. Someone who -by pure happenstance- became a more advanced specimen of the species that bore them."

"Even the psions don't know what the psions did to her."

"It was why I came here. It wasn't why I stayed."

"Alright, fine, polite small talk done. I can't believe that you didn't consider the idea that I'd be willing to provide additional support. And you know how I'd think about a request in a place like this better than our non-human friends. So what the heck were you thinking by not calling me in?"

He nods. "I certainly considered it. I don't know precisely how skilled most members of your Corps are, but assuming that they had a slightly more intense training than the princesses, my estimate was that a force of fifty Lanterns would have reduced the deaths on our side by perhaps ten thousand. And you can add to that another thousand or so test subjects from the psion laboratories. The cost to you would have been between two and four Lanterns, though I agree that your commander would have most likely considered it worthwhile to give the rest field experience."

"And it would have cost Vega…" Heh. "The 'New Vega Alliance' its founding myth. Outsiders coming in to fix the problem."

"And building trust. The next few months will involve building the relationships between the parties involved. That sign of unity and power will bring Vega's minor powers into alignment."

"Did you run calculations on the lives saved in the long term?"

He shrugs. "That sort of calculation just isn't possible. There are far too many unknown variables. But knowing what I do about history -human and alien- I strongly suspect that it still works out for the best. Unless you move the Orange Central Power Battery here, or leave a major garrison fleet to do what the Alliance is doing right now."

"And what is the Alliance doing right now?"

"Ending the Branx Corporate War by eliminating the Citadel-aligned consortia. Then all that's left is a show of force in front of anyone who might be thinking of carrying on in the old way."

"And by eliminating..?"

He shakes his head. "They're not psions. I doubt that we'll have to kill all that many. But the consortia will be broken up and their remaining assets appropriated by their government."

"I didn't think that the Branx had much of a central government."

"And that's one of the things we'll be changing. Ridiculous concept."

"And the Spiders?"

"What about them?"

"I killed the citadelians and I won't mourn the psions. I like the Queen."

He shrugs, shaking his head. "She's keeping to the terms of the agreement you thrashed out last year. And no one wants to incite an attack by the rest of the Spider Guild. No, I imagine that she'll do her utmost to make herself invaluable in the coming years."

"And the gordanians?"

"A fight here might have been useful, but I think we can make your peace work in the long term."

"Heh. Hm-uh." He raises his eyebrows. "It's just a bit strange for me, being on this side of the conversation. I'm assuming that you'll be sticking around to oversee things?"

He nods. "I think so. Sorting out a mess like Vega, that's a job that might actually keep me occupied. And I meant what I said about Earth. There isn't anything… Anyone there I miss."

"Anything? I think I'm going to need to keep track of Koriand'r and Komand'r a bit better. If there's something you want me to pick up for you..?"

"Food, mostly. Bread made with actual wheat, coffee from actual coffee beans. Bacon from a pig."

I wave my right hand. "Write me a list. I'll bring a shipping container."

"That's… Surprisingly generous. You're not at all angry?"

"No, I am. I don't see a point in throwing a strop over this. Ferrying a few home comforts is a small price to pay for keeping in touch." I bow my head slightly. "But really? You couldn't have explained this ahead of time and let me use a small squad of Lanterns to hit the Wombworld prisons? It's not like people around here don't know me."

"I considered thousands of variations of the plan, a sizable proportion of which involved you to a greater or lesser extent. Ultimately, using foreign Lanterns would have generated additional political uncertainty which would have claimed more lives than your involvement would have saved."

Everything I know about Adam Blake, learned from records on Earth and Tamaran, tells me that he's being honest. On Earth, he was very much on the idealistic end of the superhero spectrum. In Vega he learned ruthlessness, but not… It seems unlikely that he'd kill a thousand innocent people to carry out a personal revenge.

But I'm still angry.

I'm still angry.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019
  7. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

Well, you should be, because his argument is both arrogant and ridiculous.

8. thebishop8

thebishop8 Umm, ackchyually...

*an

*he'd

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019
    DiceArt, Hell's Razer and Mr Zoat like this.
  9. Istaran

Istaran Know what you're doing yet?

I rather love the term "afterlife service provider".

10. Ganurath

Ganurath Apologizes For Nothing

Spider Queen: "Ah, good. I'd been concerned at the time that the lack of release from your forelimbs indicated dissatisfaction, but even after learning that your kind don't keep their reproductive organs there things had been awkward."

11. Buggy123

I don't think it is. It's actually a rather nice change of pace to find someone with a complicated moral choice that has short and long term consequences, and actually said "Fuck it, I'm not listening to my gut here. Anyone have a pencil and some paper?".

As I see it, this is effectively how morality works, it's just that humans don't usually do it consciously. Moral actions can be described mathematically just as much as physics. But, just like a basketball player doesn't do trigonometry every time they take a shot, superheros usually don't actually calculate the ethics of their actions. And they really ought to, since the human subconscious isn't very good with large numbers.

The fact that Blake understands all of this, and chose to figure it out, gives him some major points in my book. The only issue I see is that he might be influenced by his desire for revenge, but if he did it right he can account for that as well.

12. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Paul "like" her long time. ;)

13. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Ah, a glimpse of the fallout from Jiggety-Jig...

Oh, yes. He's certainly more conscientious about his work than his brothers...

Yeah, I don't think he wants you in his head right now.

Heh. More souls for Hades.

Man, the Golden Age was weird...

Little hard to be sceptical in the face of proof.

Well, that she did. To the point of becoming a separate species entirely.

Ah, the meat of the matter.

That sentence feels a little unfinished. Perhaps 'training regimen' because the 'a' feels lost.

Well, he's not wrong there, Vril Dox would consider that.

Not happening.

"Okay, hold it right there. Maybe you should hear about something similar on Earth..."
    Admittedly, I doubt Vega will become the Middle East of the galaxy, situationally speaking, just based on the character of the races involved... (And let it end there, as not to run afoul Rule 8)

Ugh, I hope he did check Earth history while he poked around in OL's head...

"But not the way people are saying. Seriously."

It's funny, isn't it? Not nearly so fun.

Heh. Good to see he's not completely gone native.

"Good god, it's strange to see from the outside..."

And that proves you're still Human, deep down.

Well, satisfying in a way. But ultimately, I doubt OL feels all that happy about it.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
  14. Slayer Anderson

Slayer Anderson Orthodox Heretic

The misconception that Blake is making, I feel, is that Paul isn't considered an outsider by the wider cross-section of Vega residents.

Specifically, they identify him as successor to The Beast. In the immediate past a number of Orange 'Lantern' Constructs had been sent out searching for Paul and generally making themselves known and wrecking havoc among local space. A group of orange light users under the command of the the individual who's become the New Beast would more likely be seen as a domestic faction to Vega, not a foreign one.

Blake's making a number of faulty assumptions from my point of view and Paul has every right to be angry.

15. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

True. There's also the fact that Blake is not a precog (if I'm wrong about that, what happened to him suggests that any precog he does have must have serious limitations), and he cannot have accounted for all factors. For one thing, people will wonder why more Orange Lanterns were not involved, once they've had time to think about it, and that's just one consequence I'm thinking of right now.

16. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.

Bramble Thorn likes this.
  17. Buggy123

Hmm, you make a good point. I hadn't thought about Blake having incomplete information here. And he couldn't necessarily check all that easily, because he had to avoid tipping off OL.

Tricky. I still like the fact that he tried to work this out, but it's hard to tell whether or not he made the right decision. It could go either way here, and I don't think we have enough information to clear it up.

Hmm, I dunno. I don't think that's likely. It's not very often that people look at someone doing a generally good and appreciated action (ending the Psion Menace, rescuing slaves/test subjects, etc) and think about how they could've done it better. Not unless they do it really badly in the first place, and Blake still succeeded in taking out the Psions and rescuing some people, without overwhelming casualties.

18. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

How so?

AtomicGeneral25 likes this.
  19. NightmareWarden

NightmareWarden Versed in the lewd.

Hmm. How would Blake's plan have turned out if he barred all Orange Lanterns from participating, by keeping the princesses occupied elsewhere? His ideal stance for his new countrymen to face upcoming threats? He couldn't have known that Koriandr would face the situation on her own.
    That whole coincidence makes me wonder if there's some sort of Comic-Book!Logic at play here.

Also Blake went over so many simulations for that assault and made his peace with Paul's resentment... And he didn't say anything to rebuild bridges? To reconcile with the superhero that saved his life?!

Adam Blake isn't the next Nabu, but I'm betting Paul will end up comparing them while putting this anger towards positive ends.

20. AtomicGeneral25

AtomicGeneral25 Insert Creativity Here

While it is true that Paul would not be considered an unknown factor to the citizens of Vega (for the reasons you mentioned), that doesn't change the fact that he is still an outsider. He's not from Vega, but more importantly, he didn't stick around in Vega, and as far as Blake could tell at the time when he made the decision, Paul wasn't planning on being a permanent fixture of the post-Citadel Vega power structure. As such, having him and the OLC swoop in and save the day would have undermined the foundational event of the New Vega Alliance.

As far as I can tell, that's what Blake was more concerned about rather than saving the soldiers of Psion captives lives. While it might seem abstract, that shared suffering and overcoming that challenge, while also establishing themselves as a legitimate power, are going to be absolutely critical for the alliance going forward, especially if they want to maintain peace over Vega. I'm not sure if this decision was entirely correct, especially since Paul's willingness to return to Vega and take some responsibility for it's citizens shows that he might have been open to a more permanent OLC presence in the Vega power structure, but Dox would be less than pleased at that. Overall, while not necessarily a perfect choice, I do think that Blake made the best decision that he could with the information that he had at the time.

21. Huttj509

Huttj509 Getting sticky.

I'm inclined to agree with you. I don't necessarily think Blake made the *right* choice (yadda yadda hindsight and speculation 20/20, etc), but it was a conscious, considered decision.

22. Lord Ernest

Lord Ernest At the End...

I will need to analyze this later on, but point of clarification, Kori saved a few, just a few, of the innocents in the attack on Wombworld, but apparently that was it; I don't recall any other major saving of the prisoners and test subjects so that's a con firmly placed in the plan Blake executed.

23. rkyeun

rkyeun Cabbitus Maximus

Oh god. I know where we are. I know what's coming now. The Spider Queen is being kept in check by simple pragmatism. She still wants to eat everybody, it just isn't practical to do so, so she's not. She made deals to protect herself and her progeny, and is obeying them because she doesn't have the power to deal with the fallout.
    As soon as the Spider Queen finishes studying the Orange Lantern Manual that Paul gave her, and makes the first Orange Spider babies who can call/create their own rings... there's no limit to how many she can make, and the speed she can make them at is rather absurd.
    The Orangest Night Begins.

24. Mastigos2

Mastigos2 Versed in the lewd.

The interesting bit here is that I'm pretty sure he's more trying to convince himself that he is or should be angry, than ACTUALLY angry. Especially given the lack of red. Then again, maybe Red Rage doesn't actually align much with sullen anger

25. Queshire

Queshire Not too sore, are you?

Something, something, the pursuit of the greater good excuses lesser evils.

26. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

He is.

At least in the comics, but if memory serves Zoat has already edited his powers, since I remember getting the impression that his superhuman physicality from the comics here is just a manifestation of his psychokinesis.

27. doug89

doug89 Versed in the lewd.

Whether or not he is correct that keeping Paul or the Orange Lantern corp out of the fight is better in the long term, he still kept this a secret. Still deceived him. Basically lied to him.

Paul was right there. All he had to do was approach him, tell him is plans, and turn him down if Paul asked to help, stating X/Y/Z reasons. Instead he's damaged the relationships with major polities in the sector and Paul.

28. Ganurath

Ganurath Apologizes For Nothing

Wrong thread.

DAT_NOOB, Mr Zoat and Taisei like this.
  29. Taisei

Taisei Unsung Supporting Character

Thanks, deleted it! Still had that thread open when I was tabbing around, lol.

30. nick012000

nick012000 Gone for Good

Random thought, since this is QQ: I sort of wonder how Paul or Grayven would react to finding themselves in the world of the NSFW fan-comic JL Forsaken Souls by Black Pharaoh. The basic plot is that a "godlike" tentacle monster is running around corrupting superheroines into not-succubi-really and having them fuck superheroes to death so that he can steal their powers like a rape- and NTR-powered Amazo - and he started with Mary Marvel and Zatanna, who promptly took over the Watchtower and basically decapitated the Justice League. Naturally Lex Luthor winds up running the Resistance.