1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Cuchulin

Cuchulin Versed in the lewd.

Less "shrugs off" than "realizes she is a memetic lady MacBeth, see nothing wrong with that and then says so" if I remember correctly.

boo600, Bramble Thorn, w34v3r and 3 others like this.
  2. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

But his coffee is better.

3. Mastigos2

Mastigos2 Versed in the lewd.

Clearly he'd be the god of "I'm Batman"

4. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

So the god of Super Tourette’s? At least judging by the way that’s portrayed in a lot of the semi-parodies.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2019
    w34v3r likes this.
  5. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

It’s not. It loads from the beginning. Can you at least just edit with a time stamp in text?

Cuchulin likes this.
  6. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Done.

7. Ganurath

Ganurath Apologizes For Nothing

Would he be the New God of Being Batman, though, or the New God of How Batman Is Perceived? Either way, he wouldn't be the New God of My Day Job Is At Wayne Industries.

Bramble Thorn and Prince Charon like this.
  8. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

He could be the New God of disguise? Could copy people’s abilities by cosplaying as them.

w34v3r likes this.
  9. Cuchulin

Cuchulin Versed in the lewd.

New god of Bats.

w34v3r and DAT_NOOB like this.
  10. Buggy123

Buggy123 I trust you know where the happy button is?

New God of Bat Cosplaying, maybe?

GodKiller999, w34v3r and Cuchulin like this.
  11. TheMidnightRook

TheMidnightRook Well worn.

Isn't it obvious? He'd be the New God of Righteous Face-Punching.

w34v3r, Jormuungaand and Cuchulin like this.
  12. Queshire

Queshire Not too sore, are you?

Meh, less funny but I'd go with almost a Vimes-like New God of the Guarding Darkness or something.

dogbertcarroll, w34v3r and Cuchulin like this.
  13. AverusBlack

AverusBlack AKA Aisling

New God of Retribution would be my bet.

w34v3r, Buggy123 and Cuchulin like this.
  14. Lord Ernest

Lord Ernest At the End...

So New God of Vengeance then? Makes sense when he says it himself, I guess.

15. AverusBlack

AverusBlack AKA Aisling

That might work but it's... not really vengeance that drives Bats. It's the idea of vengeance. That criminals can't get away with being total gobshites without a metaphorical boot ready to kick them in the face until they stop.

Vengeance seems too personal, too... involved. Batman's never been emotionally invested in stopping anyone specifically, he's doing it so he can be a living sword of damocles rather than because he just wants revenge on anyone who's ever broken the law.

It's a fine distinction, but it wasn't a red ring that chose Bruce Wayne of Earth. It was a yellow one.

16. Lord Ernest

Lord Ernest At the End...

Oh, I can agree with that, Batman doesn't have any personal vengeance against any specific villain or criminal, but I believe the mission is definitely personal to him. The guy is insane, after all. A lot of people, including children (unfortunately), go through harrowing and/or scarring experiences but they don't just dedicate their lives to fighting crime because of it, I don't think.

If Bruce had pursued a vendetta against the guy that killed his parents (or the people that arranged their murder, if we go for the conspiracy) that would have been normal. But he went full spirit of fear against criminals, built upon a general desire for vengeance but against criminals in general, or at least that's what I think.

Cuchulin likes this.
  17. Queshire

He always seems more protective than vengeful or retributive. It's always about making sure no one else has to go through what he did and not about making criminals suffer.

Cuchulin likes this.
  18. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

It could have been.

When the Seven Enemies of Man got released at a JLA/JSA gathering, Wrath went to Batman.

When aliens split the JLA into their super identities and their secret identities, Batman was a hollow shell without motivation, and Bruce Wayne was 10 lbs of rage in a 5 lb bag.

Eel had words to effect "Well well well, separate Batman from Bruce and you get a psycho and a useless fop, no big surprise there. What is a surprise is which one turned out to be which."

And the reason why Batman has a no killing rule? Because he's afraid that he'd enjoy it so much he wouldn't stop. Showing he is right is Earth-51, he killed the Joker, and for dessert he killed every single other supervillain.

So Batman is a very angry man.

19. Radiant Knight

Radiant Knight Phoenix Fire

Canonically? Gotham.

20. Queshire

Huh, I like that. Lots of fun to be had there.

21. Threadmarks: Conqueror's Moon (part 10)
    Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

27th December 2004
    01:21 GMT -6

Boom!

The tube opens once more and Jean walks through, a new g-goblin at her side and a gaggle of g-elves, g-trolls, g-dwarves and g-gnomes following on behind them. This one has Ixy's open and youthful face as opposed to Jean's more matriarchal cast. The new one is also a little broader and has a noticeably increased amount of muscle mass. The effect is… Interesting. While Ixy was clearly designed to look like a young girl, Dubbilex an elderly man, Ecksey like his athletic younger brother and Jean… Like a combination of my female grandparents combined with Mrs Bale from As Time Goes By. This one is more androgynous.

Which must be a deliberate decision on their part. I mean, yes, genomorphs don't reproduce sexually and have no interest in introducing the capacity to their species. Even if most people refer to Dubbilex and Ecksey in the masculine and Ixy and Jean in the feminine those aren't biologically accurate descriptors. They just assume them to fit in better with the sexually dimorphous species around them. So either they've decided that they don't want to fit in that way any longer, or they're testing this out, or… They don't think that the g-goblin getting assigned here needs to fit in like that.

"Mister Grayven. Mister Batman." Jean nods politely as the boom tube closes behind them. "This is the newest g-goblin, Mito. I believe they will be able to meet your organisational and labour requirements."

Mito.. themselves, bows from the waist, then straightens. Ah, this one has a more substantial tail as well. I wonder why?

Batman regards them impassively. "Do you have a lot of experience?"

"I was literally decanted earlier today." They blink. "However, I have been given access to the memories of all other g-goblins. I have Ecksey's knowledge of space station maintenance, Jean's knowledge of household management, Ixy's knowledge of human social interactions and Dubbilex's breadth of experience." They blink again. "They in turn have access to information and insight provided to them by over a hundred thousand genomorphs. I am perfectly capable of meeting your expectations."

"How soon can you begin working?"

Mito's horns glow for a moment, and the other genomorph types disperse. They then pull a datapad from a pocket and begin typing. "Fabrication of the more substantial parts is already in process. We will begin analysing the current structure of the Watchtower now in order to assess the most effective way to implement the upgrades. Assuming that we are granted access to all technical data, we will have a work plan available to you within an hour."

Batman nods. "What happens to the other genomorphs if you are injured or killed?"

"You will have to either wait for a new g-goblin or accept reports either nonverbally from a g-dwarf or telepathically by a g-gnome. Since we took control of our own creation, new genomorphs of all types have had modifications made to their cerebral structures which allow them to function more effectively if they are deprived of contact with the Genomorph Entire. All genomorphs can understand spoken English, though there will be a decrease in efficiency as they will find it harder to coordinate."

"I see." Batman gestures to the closest computer terminal, where a cluster of g-dwarves are waiting. "I'll enter your people onto the system now."

"Thank you."

Jean watches as they join the g-dwarves, then turns her attention to me. "Do you require anything further, Mister Grayven?"

"No, thank-."

Shayera smirks faintly. "Do genomorphs do babysitting?"

"Certainly, though so far we only have experience with older children. And development of the g-lamia has stalled somewhat due to lack of utility."

"What's a 'g-lamia'?"

"Genomorph phenotypes are named after mythological creatures, their name prefixed with a 'g'. Lamia was a figure from Greek mythology who ate children." Shayera frowns. "As a witticism, it would have been more effective if you knew that in advance."

I clap my hands together. "Excited to be heading back home?"

Shayera looks at me, then looks away. "No."

"You could use the opportunity to introduce John to your family? Assuming that they're still alive, of course."

"I'm an orphan." She exhales sharply through her nose. "Which is just as well. If anyone recognised me on Thanagar they'd try and kill me."

"Really? The only people who know you came down on Earth's side were Talak's crew, and I doubt that they've had the chance to spread the knowledge. Everyone else would just know that you'd been sent on a long term mission. You must have a few personal contacts to draw upon."

"I spent my whole adult life in the military. I doubt any of them survived."

"Ah." I look away. "Sorry. I feel like a heel now."

Her right hand clenches the handle of her mace, causing the head to crackle.

"Why didn't they just ask for help?! Gah!"

I shrug. "Why didn't they come to terms with Grayven earlier?"

She grimaces. "Surrender?"

"That's probably what the gordanians did. Aliens can't join gordanian clans. Grayven would have had to conquer one and convince the survivors to abandon tradition… Which he could use his god-voice to do. Then he'd have to either conquer other clans by force or talk them around. Probably both. Depending on when this happened and what was happening on Apokolips, he might have been able to draw on other resources, but based on what we saw and Thanagarian Empire records… I think he might be the only Apokoliptian involved. Point is, the very people who serve as his generals and governors bent the knee and benefited from it. He offered the Thanagarian Empire the same deal several times. They just didn't take it. Ever. If they had, I can't see any reason for him to treat them differently to how he treated the gordanians."

"We have pride."

"Yeah. You also don't own your homeworld any more."

"Grayven doesn't own his homeworld either."

I regard her sceptically. "Would you want Apokolips?"

"I don't know. I've never visited."

"You… Haven't been keeping an eye on it?"

She rolls her eyes. "And how exactly would we do that? With our one human-built faster than light ship?"

Oh. Yeah.

"Alright, well, it's going to be a while before Batman and Mito have this place ready to support the hush tube we'll need to sneak onto Thanagar, and I've got a date tonight. How about we have a look around Apokolips first? See how they're getting on in Father's absence?"

She hefts her mace-. "And make them think that 'Grayven' is threatening them?"

"I was thinking more that we kill anyone who looks in danger of getting things organised, but… Sure, we could sic them on my alter ego if you like. I'm guessing… Virman Vundabar, Granny Goodness and Desaad require most attention. Virman will have the best conventional weapons, Granny the best warriors and Desaad the most sophisticated technology."

"Granny Goodness mind-controlled Superman a few years ago. He killed Darkseid in revenge, but I don't think he managed to kill her."

Hm. "My conquest aura should let me… Influence a faction if I slay their leader. Granny's Furies might be useful for attacking Thanagar, especially if we're trying to start a war between them."

"It's all the same to me. Why don't we run it by John and Diana and then decide who we're crushing first?"

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
  22. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Should be why.

Hell's Razer and Mr Zoat like this.
  23. thebishop8

thebishop8 Umm, ackchyually...

*like an

*Which

*the most

Hell's Razer and Mr Zoat like this.
  24. Queshire

Yay~ Nonbinary character~

25. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

This may be ignorance: but aren’t all the non-elf genomorphs?

Ardy, Lord Ernest and Aeess like this.
  26. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Fascinating. A non-gendered g-goblin? I see they're branching out.
    Also: 'his'?

Which must be a deliberate decision on their part.

Heh. Definitely branching out.

Mito, as in mitochondria?

Only a Genomorph could literally say 'I was born yesterday' with complete honesty. :D

It's, to belabor the word, fascinating. Can you imagine what it's like to have access to your entire race's knowledge at any time? Besides the internet.

Sensible question. Especially since their tech support options are very limited.

Well, she is a new mother...

...Would they actually be designed to swallow their charge if imperiled? Ew.

Oof. Not a happy life. No wonder she likes Earth so much...

How's that foot taste?

A very astute estimation of the situation. It'll be interesting to see how accurate it is.

Cruel burn, Grayven. Do you want her angry enough to feed you that mace?

I don't think there's any being you could pay enough to take it, besides Uxas.

She rolls her eyes. "And how exactly would we do that? With our one human-built faster than light ship?"
    Snarky. Also accurate.

You want to risk that?

Turning one set of foes against another. The only drawback is Thanagar getting caught in between them...

Well, this just gets more complicated by the minute.
    (And it looks like I've been ninja'd on most of the corrections I spotted. Leaving them in place anyway.)

27. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

Neat. A brand new genocide coming up.

AtomicGeneral25 and Ardy like this.
  28. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

Thank you for the As Time Goes By reference. I watched it growing up and then a couple more times as reruns. That's a good episode. :)

29. Queshire

Fair, though I still like that it's directly bringing attention to the fact.

AngelicKnight. likes this.
  30. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Does anyone else feel that Grayven's lighthearted-shoot-from-the hip idea to get Apokolips involved and start a war just like that seems incredibly dumb and hasty?

Like...he just decided that. Just like that. And is only backup for going there is supposed to be Shayera?

Like, what?