1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

No.
    Also no. The Emperor is a terrible father.

2. Navi-Hank

Navi-Hank An engine fuled by spite

I haven't done anything like that and I can highlight invisitext just fine

3. dogbertcarroll

dogbertcarroll Random lurker

That was exactly the scene I was thinking of when I typed that.

DAT_NOOB and Cuchulin like this.
  4. nobodez

nobodez Bringer of Context

Invisitext doesn’t work well with Macs either, which I believe Mquz is using. So no midget computers and no minority computers. Not sure about Chromebooks.

5. CTrees

CTrees Chasing the ring

I read almost exclusively on a midget computer (Motorola Z3), and I can highlight and read invisitext just fine. I'm not sure it's even an iPhone/Android thing, as previously I have seen other Android users say they can't highlight the way I do.

Ironically, one of the new features SV debuted is a tiny eyeball button at the top of posts with invisitext, which automatically reveals all of it. Oh well.

Ardy, DAT_NOOB, Alexandercctv and 3 others like this.
  6. nobodez

Of the three sibling forums, I think SV has the best implementation of XenForo, it’s just not that active in my primary community.

7. Scholar of Time

Scholar of Time Master of Lurking

As a mobile aside, I can select and drag to see it, hopefully others can too.

8. Mr Zoat

Oh, I think I promised someone a list of the hybrid's names.

9. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

I use an iPhone, so that’s why it’s a problem.

Ardy and DAT_NOOB like this.
  10. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

He is still lacking a permanent teamate that calls him own when he goes stupid like this.

Ardy, DrThoth, Vorian and 1 other person like this.
  11. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

Chromebooks are fine.

Whaaaat?! so what if some of his lab experimentsSons rebelled a little bit every labfamily goes through ups and downs...

DrThoth likes this.
  12. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

I've got a bookmarklet for highlighting invisitext.

Code:
    javascript:!function(){function e(){for(var e=document.getElementsByTagName("span"),t=0;t<e.length;t++)span=e[t],"transparent"==span.style.color.toLowerCase()%26%26(span.className+=" invisitext",span.style.color=null)}function t(){var e=document.createElement("style");css=".invisitext { border: 1px dotted red; padding: 2px; color: transparent; background: black }",css+=".invisitext:hover { color: white }",e.textContent=css,document.getElementsByTagName("head")[0].appendChild(e)}function n(){t(),e()}n()}();

Copy this and use it as the URL for a bookmark, and when you use that bookmark it'll highlight invisitext.

SV recently picked up a built-in invisitext highlighter, there's an eye button on any post with invisible text.

Bramble Thorn, CTrees, Mquz and 2 others like this.
  13. ShardikPrime

ShardikPrime Your first time is always over so quickly, isn't it?

Commandeer. We're going to commandeer that warship. Nautical term

Bramble Thorn, Vorian, Ardy and 8 others like this.
  14. Threadmarks: Conqueror's Moon (part 17)
    Mr Zoat

27th December 2004
    21:25 GMT -5

"-about t-to…"

All Shall Kneel [relates to] Moved by my Design.

A legion unseen kneel as the Hegemon-. I… I'm holding out my arms and acknowledging their fealty and.. I'm kneeling my-.

Like heck I am.

When we wound up the Light Mark 1, the Justice League mistrusted me and had found my plan distasteful. But they went along with it, because they had no better alternative and knew that the results of not doing so would be worse. I aided Jonathan and in return I am now considered a friend and valuable government advisor. I aided the Chinese and the same happens. And with the Light Mark 2 I am reshaping the world without any brutal displays of dominance.

Being made by me personally. And yet, my personal legitimacy increases without significant resistance. My ego is not so fragile that I need everyone around me to abase themselves before we do business, and I'm confident that they will come around to my way of thinking about things eventually.

All Shall Bow in Time [subverts] All Shall Kneel.

"Grayven?" I'm dimly aware of Kara floating next to me. "Are you okay?"

The network didn't completely shift away from me, though the strangely dissonant desire to kneel before myself did.. make it somewhat unclear who and what was taking precedence. I suspect that my alter ego knows that he's being assailed by another New God (or New God equivalent) but doesn't know their particular nature.

"I didn't expect this to be easy."

No immediate counter strike.

Challenge the Hegemon [subverts] All Shall Kneel.

Because naturally, if I'm challenging then I'm not kneeling. Or being kneeled to. My reach across the metaphysical realm of this planet is growing broader, if not stronger. And… Then I'm feeling the breadth of the region of space this Grayven has occupied, an… Impression of settlements and shipyards, workers and warriors all labouring both for themselves and for Me. For My empire. Dimly, I am aware of places where this is not happening, but they are small in comparison to the vast areas that are.

Beneath My Contempt [subverts] Challenge the Hegemon.

Because you're not really 'challenging' if the challenge isn't substantive.

And I can't argue the point. This isn't intended to be more than a feint or a raid. I came to him, he didn't come to me. On the other hand, if he's bothering to make an effort then I'm clearly not beneath his contempt. But… None of the counters I can think of really fit me. There are plenty of Divine Truths that could be spoken to counter that by Scott… Even by John or Diana, if they knew how to do it.

Hmm.

I remember killing Savage with little difficulty. I remember the League's bizarre attitude to Nabu and Klarion and their failure to predict that I might take active issue with it.

Attack Complacency [undermines] Beneath My Contempt.

"Grayven, Nightwing says the fleet is moving."

And suddenly we're worth dealing with. I doubt that he'll want to use his ships to carry out orbital strikes, but…

Flies Trapped in Amber

Wait, what? That felt different, and… Entirely unrelated to conquest. And weaker. It coils around everything, weakening the whole network because the idea that I'm in an invisible prison is something that no version of Grayven could possibly tolerate.

And yet, it's working. I can feel the results myself and I'm forced to consider: am I working in accordance with someone else's plan here? Could Grayven 50 have made a specific plan for this? No, it felt… More general. Like… People in general are trapped. It… Did he do something to Scott to make him say that? Or is there a New God of Unfreedom I don't know about? With Darkseid dead there's probably some metaphysical room opening up.

I… Again, I can't think of a counter I could-. I mean, against Scott I'd have all sorts of things about how most people with freedom keep doing all the same things they did when they didn't have it, but against the statement that everyone is trapped permanently… We're all connected to the Source, and… I haven't yet confirmed that there isn't a Divine Plan for each of us. I know that Destiny's book is a thing and that a few people have ducked it…

Ah, fuck it. If all that I've done hasn't broken me free by now then I can just work at it some more. I know that it can be done. Being trapped isn't inevitable.

Drive to Overcome.

"Found my brother yet?"

"Not yet." Rayner's got some sort of radar construct and he's waving it around. I'm reasonably confident that he knows what he's doing. "But I'm getting a whole lot less interference. Keep doing whatever you're doing."

Invisible Chains / Chains Willingly Embraced

The metaphysical landscape twists, all that I thought I'd claimed reverting and strengthening as-. They combined? That's a thing? Ugh, I was right: he does know more about this stuff than I do. Perhaps I could just directly-?

Uh, no no no no-

"Grayven?"

-no. How can I-? Okay, another Conquest-God, and from the sounds of it someone who downed a bit too much of the Anti-Life cool aid. I'm not supposed to be trying to directly fight either of them, just-.

I look at my left hand, my armour and device already picking up the orange glow. Not.. sure if this will work, but what the heck?

Assimilate.

Nothing. No, of course, but how do I..?

Oh-. Fiddlesticks. I know full well that the Ophidian is in the Central Power Battery on Tamaran. I'm trusting Controller Hannanan to keep her under control. But she's a spiritual being I have a connection to who is one with the orange light. She should be able to bridge the gap… In theory. But: parallel universe. I could use my domain-powers to rein in an elemental nominally under my control anyway. The one here..?
    Grasp the Nettle.
    Ophidian. Ophidian.

My ring sparks and I feel a horrible force pulling at my metaphysique. I try.. pointing it at the power that is like mine in the local energy systems and it starts.. pulling at those as well.

Slap Down the Impetuous-.

The voice sounds like the gnat!

And the pressure's… Off. Mostly. And I feel the orange light permeating the local systems but whoever the gnat was, sounding like him is clearly enough to make the Ophidian come after you a little harder. Larfleeze, maybe? Not like I heard him talking. But it looks like Grayven 50 and whoever the other voice was weren't expecting-

"Got 'em! They're-. Oh cr-."

Boom boom boom!

Huh?

I lose my connection to the metaphysical and to the Ophidian as a blinding light gagh! I shield as a gordanian destroyer drops through the atmosphere and opens up with its main gun. Okay, between Rayner and myself the barrier is holding, now if-.

Legions Undiminished.

Our shields fracture, and everything-.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2019
  15. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Yup. Very interesting.

The other voice sounds...worrisome. I hope that isn't an Anti-Lifed Scott.

16. thebishop8

thebishop8 Umm, ackchyually...

*by John

The second sentence seems like it needs a question mark.

Shouldn't it be kool-aid?

17. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Oh, god, the Godspeech. I'ma just gonna recolor it in my commentary. G-50 in Plum, Renegade in Grey...
    Cue the inspiring music!

And it's quite impressive. It's only a matter of time until something breaks...

And this is why we like him, in part. He takes no shit, but is above petty thumping of insolent fools.

Actual concern? I see she's able to overcome her natural annoyance at least.

But by the same extent, I doubt he expected anything like this.

And to Grayven-50, those probably itch like hell on the metaphysical level.

The joy of working with a technique you've jsut learned and barely comprehend.

Oh, that's not good. Evidently Grayven-50 isn't above squashing annoying bugs... With orbital barrages...

Oh, G-50's skilled at this stuff. Not good.

A New God of Subjugation. I could see that as something descended from Tyranny.

Unfortunately, you aren't one of them, Renegade...

Ah, one way to deal with it: Ignore it completely.

It's like a black belt taking on an untrrained child. But the child can do things the master wouldn't expect...

Oh, that's just cheating! Calling backup during a one-on-one fight?
    Yep, you aren't as far along the Orange Shaman path as you need to be.

Oh, this is gonna fuck all the shit up. I just know this is going to have knock-on effects somehow.

Interesting. Obviously not in the vocal sense. The tone of 'you belong to me!', presumably.

The joy of Scry-and-die tele-ganking. You bypass a critical experience and miss out on useful plot flags.

Welp, G-50's definitely decided to squash the bugs.

<Concerned Commisar.png> Oh dear. This might be something not everyone walks away from...

Well... More pain for the Mobile viewer. One of the few times the invisitext works against the story. As for the content, it's a doozy. Grayven-50 has someone else working with him? Any ideas who, folks?

Last edited: Sep 23, 2019
  18. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

Smiley? (Probably not) Maybe one of the Thanagarian Gods?

19. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Well if this fic does introduce a New God of Unfreedom, my first guess would be Jonas Lock aka Doctor Impossible, Mr Miracle's dark doppelganger.

LostPath, Cuchulin, DrThoth and 4 others like this.
  20. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

<Concern Intensifies> And remember, one of them was breaking loose, in Earth 16p. Grayven-50 working with Onimar Synn Or one of the other Demons? Bad. Very bad.

Perhaps the wording of the godspeech can help: Invisible Chains / Chains Willingly Embraced. One of them was Grayven-50, by context. (likely 'Invisible Chains', clearly symbolic of being conquered...)

The other... Chains Willingly Embraced... :eek: Could Scott Free have been comprimised? His god-nature inverted somehow? Oh, this gets more and more worrying.

21. thebishop8

thebishop8 Umm, ackchyually...

The Renegade realised that Flies Trapped in Amber was weaker and from a different New God.
    Invisible Chains is in smaller text just like Flies Trapped in Amber, so they're probably both from the same unknown New God helping Grayven 50.

Bramble Thorn, Ardy, Vorian and 8 others like this.
  22. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

Well, he is the new god of 'conquest' if you catch my drift.

23. Buggy123

Buggy123 I trust you know where the happy button is?

Let us all hold a moment of silence for the Midget Computer users reading this story.

24. Ganurath

Ganurath Apologizes For Nothing

If they're still doing so after the previous update, nothing can be done for them.

Lord Ernest and Simonbob like this.
  25. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

This one actually seems a little easier to handle for us mobile midgets. Though the provided script didn’t seem to help and returned an error like “can’t use Javascript this way” or something.

Prince Charon likes this.
  26. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    He hasn't seen it written down recently.

27. Queshire

Queshire Not too sore, are you?

Is highlighting really so hard for other phone users? It's never been a big deal for me.

28. nobodez

It's an iOS thing mainly, and considering it's the most popular mobile OS in the Western World (so excluding the China and India markets), it's likely going to be equal if not more popular than Android among readers. I'm also on a Mac at home, which also doesn't do the highlighting thing with Invisitext, so I've set up the bookmarklet on my tablet, phone, and main computer, and it gets the job done (though perhaps Mr Zoat could use some sort of font difference for the different types of Greyven?)

Gantradies, Cuchulin and c3qo like this.
  29. Chaoswind

Chaoswind Lord of nonsense

Bonus points if Grayven 50 gave Mortalla (his mom) a piece of his soul to fix her and she ended up becoming a new god of subjugation as a result.

I want to see Grayven Paul uncomfortable when he decides to confront Grayven 50.

Nioz and Cuchulin like this.
  30. earlyriser

earlyriser Getting sticky.

My guess for Grayven 50's ally: Amazing Grace. We know that she led false revolutions under Darkseid's reign only to solidify his rule so that might be where "invisible chains" come from. Learning all of this information about Grayven's Conquest powers makes me wonder, when Paul encountered Grayven 16's forces in Paragonverse about the Reach's planets was he slotted into a "neutral party that would assist" role like the Lizardkions in this universe?