1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Except for all the times it's been shown that when New Gods die they just die.

They even have their own afterlife- Hadis, Valhalla in SPACE...ACE...ACE.

Knockout went to Hell when she died.

When Highfather died, he was replaced by Takion, who is not a god, new or otherwise, he's a Source Elemental. And despite all of Paul's muttering otherwise, those are very specifically not the same thing in DC.

What you are doing is taking a specific instance and applying that as a general rule, despite all the times comics have shown there is no such rule.

The Source/Presence didn't let Hal Jordan as the Spectre kill Darkseid because the evil of Apokalips would have caused Hal Jordan to go Eclipso and take his place.

[​IMG]

The general rule that should be deduced from that is that Angels are prone to Falling in DC, because that one is actually true.

2. bobsimmo

bobsimmo Simmr001 on SV/SB

To those not in the know, about the size of a bread knife

Cuchulin likes this.
  3. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Pretty much.

[​IMG]

At most I would say it qualifies as a dagger.

Ngamer11, Ardy and DAT_NOOB like this.
  4. Lazurman

Lazurman That Others May Fap

Wait, what the shit? I've been reading this thing for so long and I never caught that the "sword" was actually a funky tuning fork?

5. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Isn't there a picture of it somewhere? I was sure I posted one.

[​IMG]

It's not a tuning fork, but it isn't very big. The person holding it in that image is the size of a toddler.

6. Buggy123

Buggy123 I trust you know where the happy button is?

Look, the person who made the sword basically killed and condensed the essence of two of the most powerful demons in Hell into a fucking knife.

They earned the right to call it what they want.

7. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

Only for them to get back to life later.

Name one New God that didn't get replaced that stayed dead.

Edit: Knockout and Barda don't count as a real New Gods, they don't have domains, they are just elite mooks.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2019
    Cuchulin likes this.
  8. Lord Ernest

Lord Ernest At the End...

But I don't think that's because they're New Gods, most probably is because it's comic books and nobody stays dead for long, one way or another; I mean, from what I recall even Uncle Ben shows up from time to time, freaking Uncle Ben.

9. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

Also, Zoat probably gave Big Barda and Knockout domains of some sort? If Stompa is the New God of Stomping, Barda is probably the New God of Rods (though maybe Defense?, Protection?, Support?) and Knockout is probably the New God of Wrestling. Lashia is probably the New God of Whips? (Maybe Leather?) Kinda getting a possible BDSM theme with all of these.

Vorian and Cuchulin like this.
  10. Stsword

Lol.

Barda and Knockout are members of the elite of Apokalips, making them more powerful than 99+% of the species.

If they don't count then by that logic there is no such thing as New Gods as a group.

New Gods having a "domain" means jack and shit in the comics. It's useless puffery the writers made to make the New Gods seem important and powerful without actually going to the effort of making them either.

The Forever People were the New Gods of Youth, Vykin the Black has magnetism powers for crying out loud. As if magnetism has anything to do with youth.

So the difference between a new god who has useless shit and a new god who does not have useless shit is nothing, because useless shit makes no difference to begin with.

And New Gods who stayed dead? Have you read the New God comics? They die all the freaking time.

You can find New Gods who stayed dead without even leaving the As- Like Lightray's older brother and Orion's best friend who had his entire family slaughtered by Bugs, and Highfather's wife who was murdered by DeSaad.

11. Queshire

Queshire Not too sore, are you?

I'm not disagreeing with you, but trying to justify that sounds like a fun challenge. : 3

Vorian, Stsword, Ardy and 1 other person like this.
  12. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

It should be noted that there isn't a clean distinction between "sword" and "knife". The Sword of the Fallen has a crossguard and a pommel, though, which are very sword-like traits and not very knife-like traits. There's definitely no "if it's above this size it's a sword, if it's below this size it's a knife" line -- the best counterexample is the messer, which is traditionally considered a knife, but has been found in sizes as large as 44 inches from end to end. Conversely, the seax is traditionally considered a sword despite coming in sizes as short as 12 inches.

If you interpret "upside down" as being rotated 180 degrees instead of flipped vertically, then it IS upside down and backwards.

Cuchulin, Lord Ernest and DAT_NOOB like this.
  13. Nervaqus987

Nervaqus987 Well worn.

She didn't kill them. She just arranged for them to die by letting the First know that the Second and Third were just really powerful demons and not anything special. At which point, he curbstomped them and left the loot drops laying around while he went to get revenge on Constantine.

Cuchulin, DAT_NOOB and nobodez like this.
  14. Sockmonkey

Sockmonkey I trust you know where the happy button is?

The foreshortening perspective makes it hard to tell how long it is in comparison to the person. Was the size of the person specified when the image was originally posted?
    Daggers meant for combat often have a pommel and it's common for even non-combat knives to have a crossguard of some kind as it's primarily a safety feature. IIRC, the messer was called a knife for legal/production purposes. The shorter types of seax being call swords was probably the people of the time being lazy about the nomenclature.
    Now that we do know how small the SOTF is, it makes a lot more sense to me why Grayven uses that diklave even when he has the SOTF with him.
    As big as he is, he could keep a knife/sword that size up his sleeve on a spring-holster.

15. Threadmarks: Conqueror's Moon (part 25)
    Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

27th December 2004
    22:20 GMT -5

I-

Wall!

-just about keep my grip on the Sword of the Fallen, but my construct needler and supply of needles are gone. No immediate follow-.

I see the gun muzzle and interpose a construct shield just before it fires, energy washing over it. The shield survives, but it's so heavily abraded that I abandon the construct as the gun retreats.

Would Kanto keep attacking if I killed Grayven? Can't really see the New God of Assassins stopping just because his sponsor is killed. On the other hand… Is he the New God of Assassins? I shouldn't assume that just because he's a New God who works as an assassin. He might well be God of Intrigue or something and Darkseid found him most useful as an assassin. If that's true, he wouldn't kill me unless there was some sort of payoff for doing so.

Grayven 50 is still standing, but there's a slight shaking in the damaged parts of his armour that suggests to me that it's taking an effort for him to maintain the front. Rayner is fighting the handful of Dog Soldiers who came through the boom tube before Scott shut it down while Barda and Stompa are whaling on each other with abandon, blood seeping from a dozen wounds on each. Scott and Doctor Impossible are.. dancing around one another, although I dimly get the impression that there's more going on than that.

Lashina has made her way over to the injured Grayven, her son floating protectively above them. Looks like they've made a few alterations to his helmet. I suppose that even in times of hardship the elite can generally get hold of what they need in order to remain effective.

"Lashina. Apokolips is a dung heap. I will offer you and your son sanctuary and a far higher quality of life than you presently receive if you'll step aside." Majestic Generosity.

"You.. killed Granny."

"I think he-" I point to Grayven. "-got in there ahead of me."

I remember in the comics that Parademon rather liked being tortured by Granny Goodness, and slept better after being seriously hurt than he did usually. With both Darkseid and Granny Goodness dead, Lashina… Probably doesn't know what she's supposed to be doing.

"There's no one to tell me what to do anymore."

I glance at Bernadeth. "Except Bernadeth, Desaad and… Kalibak? Look, even if you win… How do you benefit? You get the same position under Grayven that you had under Darkseid, only he's far weaker. The gordanians won't follow you, I doubt that you have the knowledge to control or repair this ship. Be sensible." I spread out my hands. "Heck." I toss Granny Goodness's Mother Box to her. "Feel free to just take off. Go somewhere nice."

"Ping."

"I…"

"Lashina." Grayven 50 pulls himself to his feet, left eye managing a weak and sporadic glow. "Obey me or be unmade." I Command Here!

The response is immediate and obvious. Lashina attaches the Mother Box to her… Belt-thing, then adopts a combat pose. "Kill him, my son."

I generate a reflective shield just in time to catch his heat vision, the thin line of wavering air bouncing off and striking Lashina's right shoulder. She winces and sidesteps to avoid it, but doesn't cry out or otherwise react. But I know what's coming next. Inertia shield. The boy spots what I'm doing an instant later and cuts it out-.

And he's in my face again, punching-! The shield soaks it again, but this time he's not committing to individual strikes so much and his hand doesn't get caught. Just a volley-.

There's a flicker of red from behind him and I throw out my legs, falling onto my arse as the omega beam blasts into the wall just above me. The boy kicks at my head but he's sufficiently distracted that I'm able to catch hold of his leg with my right hand. I grip it as tightly as I can but some combination of the armour and his innate toughness means that my grip doesn't do any damage. I get my feet back under me as he attempts to use his innate flight to loosen my hold. Not a good plan: experience tells me that he'd do better manually prying my fingers off. I use the opportunity to exert myself and smash him into the deck. Then stamp-.

Darn, he dodged! He kicks my left leg-. Ow, armour holds, but he's strong enough to hurt me anyway. How do-? Air, his armour doesn't have an air supply. Purification filters? Gold kryptonite dust, transmute it. He kicks again, and my leg goes out from under me. I don’t fall thanks to my rings, but it's-.

Uragh! Do-wd! Nugh!

R-right! Cold zone! Let's see how well insulated that armou-!

The kryptonian stops, falling to the floor a short distance away from me, a film of hoarfrost covering his left side. I-. Shit, how do I breach his armour? My daiklave is.. over there, there's-.

I snatch a dart and stab it into the jaw area of his helmet. It penetrates, and I see a small amount of blood-. More gold kryptonite! Gold kryptonite laser!

"No!"

Lashina darts towards me and I take a step back, dismissing my constructs. "He'll be fine. I don’t like killing children. Yield."

She slows to a stop next to her son, her eyes darting from me to him and back again. Then she picks him up and flees.

"Okay." I float slowly towards Grayven 50. The flesh on my face is now just about covering all of the bone, there's a wobbliness in my left leg which suggests that the bone's broken and I think I'll wait until my torso is healed up before returning to the Mountain-. Before confirming Sunset's death. "That it?"

His eyes are both flickering now. I think that cold beam did more damage than I was expecting.

"No." "There's always another layer."

"Desaad as we-?"

There's a flare of light as the palm of my left hand evaporates in a blast of radion. Mmmm! My fingers and my ring drop to the deck and then the muzzle appears in front of my face.

"Humans know how to resurrect your wife."

The tube aperture moves backwards revealing the lithe form of Kanto, his gun pointed carefully at my head. "I doubt that."

"Lazarus Pits, cloning combined with a séance, there are plenty of ways to manage it. I'll help you if you help me. She was killed by your predecessor, wasn't she? By an essentially conventional weapon? What has my alter ego even offered you?"

"A return to normalcy on Apokolips."

"I'm pretty sure I can match that."

"Impress me." "An alliance of convenience until it is no longer convenient."

He vanishes again, taking his gun with him. Fine. I'll need to cut off my stump later so it will regenerate, but I can function like this. I call the ring to my right hand instead, then look at Grayven.

"And now?"

Boom! Boom! Boom! Boom! Boom! Boom! Boom!

16. thebishop8

thebishop8 Umm, ackchyually...

Broken text.

17. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Boy, they are seriously harrying him. What did Granny do to engender such loyalty? ... No, wait, I don't want to know, it'd be too nasty.

Hell, he may be the New God of Swagger, for all we know...

I bet the air between them is a swirling mess of Godspeech focus techniques...

Magnanimous, but you still need to win this fight to have that kind of bargaining power...

At least between them they racked up some good Karma, ridding the universe of that evil.

Is that what she wants? To be a follower? Isn't she concerned about her son's safety at all, beyond the health of a useful tool?

"Yes, That would be a sensible idea. I do hope she takes your advice."

<Sigh> The conditioning runs too deep, I guess.

Ugh. An angry four-year-old with super-strength and -speed. This is going to be pleasant. [/sarcasm]

Correction: 'Then stamp'.
    Also, not a good idea to go easy because he's young. He is Apokaliptian born and raised.

Frustrating as hell. He can't go full force, because little kid, but the kid doesn't have any such restraint...

Finally, an opening!

No love? To be expected, I suppose.

To quote Twain, on Sunset's behalf: "Reports of my death were greatly exaggerated. Really, Grayven..."

This bit's a little mangled? And Grayven-50's just too damn stupid to give up, isn't he? Is he simply not used to losing?

Mother-humper! Again with the fingers! What is the universe's problem with the Renegade's hands and eyes?

Say it with me: Earth. Bullshit. For the win.

Back to business as usual? How pathetic.

Heh, Ringnestro having to share space with the Orange-boy? How amusing.
    Oh come on! </Rainbow Dash> Give it up, gravy-boy. Cut your losses while you're ahead!

Then again... This might not be Grayven-50's backup... New Genesis finally getting off its' ass?

Godspeech for the 'midget computer' users: ;)

18. Buggy123

Buggy123 I trust you know where the happy button is?

Well, this certainly isn't one of his easier fights, that much is apparent.

19. w34v3r

w34v3r Versed in the lewd.

Dammit Grayven! Stop god-flirting with the fucker and just kill him already.

This isn't like with any other new god where you risk domain incorporation, you already have this mantle, and are doing a better job of it.

20. PrinceJonathan

PrinceJonathan Versed in the lewd.

Jesus Fucking Christ, you could lose it in the sofa cushions.

21. WaleXdraK

WaleXdraK Not too sore, are you?

I bet they called it the sword of the fallen because they couldn’t handle the fact that a pocket knife was that powerful.

22. Stsword

So was I the only one who thought Lashina was annoyed with Gravy 50 and had asked her son to kill him instead?

Although now I'm thinking of a funny scene in which there was a miscommunication because junior guessed the wrong him when it came to the orders "kill him."

Bramble Thorn, Vorian, Ardy and 14 others like this.
  23. Travisplo

Travisplo Dapper Necromonsieur, a fine undead gentleman

I believe Granny had a Father box, not a mother box?

24. Valiran

Valiran Seeker of fluffiness

Should’ve just called it the Blade of the Fallen. Or Blades, since it’s a forked knife.

25. Bigreader

Bigreader Doom. Boom!

I think you mean father box cuz that's what the New Gods of apokolips use.

Cuchulin, Navi-Hank and DAT_NOOB like this.
  26. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

At the very least there’s no accusations of penis envy to the succubus who made it.

27. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

And there's the dues ex machina to save Renagades day. :p

Yes I agree, Grayven is doing a better job of things then Paul.

28. Lord Ernest

Lord Ernest At the End...

Who knows, maybe the "Sword" of the Fallen has a more neutral name in the demonic language. No matter how extended the British Empire was, is not like all people in Hell speak English, you know? In any case, if I had a toothpick that could kill anything in existence with only a prick I would still call the 'Spear of Doom', if only for the irony factor and as an inside joke.

By the way, did Lashina just escape to the sidelines, to another section of the ship or through a Boom Tube? I think that part wasn't that clear. And didn't the Renegade have the "Sword" in his left hand as well? That was the impression I got so he needs to pick that up as well. I think we are approaching final round in this fight, and even though Grayven 50 keeps using the Illustres' move of Summon Allies, besides the Omega Beams and slight superiority in God Power, the guy doesn't seem that tough; although that could be because the Renegade has better weapons and he's still a wreck right now.

Cuchulin, Prince Charon and w34v3r like this.
  29. Twilight666

Twilight666 I trust you know where the happy button is?

uuuum what?
    Which update did you read?

The Renegade is winning, he doesn't need anyone to save his dayo_O
    This is probably Grayven-50's backup... or maybe more furies coming to see what happened to Granny
    Maybe New Genesis showing up...

The only way these are allies is if Sunset went and got backup... and it would be less back-up and more clean-up:D

30. Grosstoad

Grosstoad Whimsical Paranoid Creeper

Action flow is hard to follow sometimes.

alid610 likes this.