1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Doccer

Doccer I trust you know where the happy button is?

Who is Metallica and where did she come from?

Ardy likes this.
  2. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Just a moment.

3. Flux Casey

Flux Casey The Colonel

Which I'm sure will be the easiest thing in the world. All he has to do is go up to one of the warring factions of Apokolips who are vying for power and demand a Fatherbox to restore his rightful place as heir to Darkseid. And I'm sure that faction will be overjoyed to do so and won't just murder him, either assuming he's a pretender or even if thinking he's real just kill him to permanently remove a rival power.

Or? He could steal one. From gods. While mortal. I'm sure that'll go swell.

4. Mr Zoat

That was the name taken by the metal-controller who on Earth 12 was a member of the Royal Flush Gang.

5. Zig

Zig Not too sore, are you?

Fun if it's the town Zoat was born in.

6. rdfox

rdfox Know what you're doing yet?

There is... another possibility.

All past instances of someone being killed by the Sword have happened while they were actually on a planet. We've never seen what happens to someone who was killed in orbit.

I'd give it even odds that Grayven-50 might well respawn as a mortal... in orbit around Earth, at the same altitude as his ship was but not on the ship itself.

Which would pretty much resolve the problem inherently, I think.

7. Akatsunami

Akatsunami The Potatoist.

The Omega effect has been shown to to just do its own thing if it really wants to, as some people have said, it once choose Lex flipping Luthor as its next bearer, so, yeah, it chosing ReneGrayven would not only make sense, as it would be far easier than moving around the universe seeking a new host.

I would still prefer if it went to Luthor here as well though, more plotlines for earth fifty later on that way.

DAT_NOOB likes this.
  8. TheMidnightRook

TheMidnightRook Well worn.

Luthor-50 is dead. He was elected POTUS, got up to some evil schemes, killed The Flash-50, and got murdered by Superman-50. Now it's not impossible that the Omega Effect could either resurrect him or puppet his corpse, but it just feels... unlikely.

9. Chaoswind

Chaoswind Lord of nonsense

Earths arcane "circuity" goes further than the orbit of the moon (as per the research statements made in Paragon), thus Grayven is going to spawn on earth, who knows where, but he will spawn there.

10. gattsuru

gattsuru Making the rounds.

Might be that Granny lost in a way that reversed her godly nature, since there's a lot of concepts that start with "So Grows-", with the first coming to mind being 'as the twig is bent, so grows the tree', which would have been impacting her followers/victims but also would have been undermined by the actual application (Granny didn't actually bend Renegraven in his youth, he reacted in a much more measured way).

Or it's possible that's something specific to Lashina.

Cuchulin likes this.
  11. Impartial Panic

Impartial Panic I trust you know where the happy button is?

Metallica

And I am Assuming this is Brute

Cue the Queen Music!

Cue the Sad Trombone!

Bramble Thorn, DAT_NOOB, Ardy and 2 others like this.
  12. Aeess

Aeess I trust you know where the happy button is?

It would be pretty funny if Human Grayven looked like unaltered Paul.

13. liger0

liger0 Getting out there.

So, I thought I'd ask. What's going on with the .epub file(s)? The part 3 file is showing as having not been updated since last year and the part 1 and 2 files aren't showing as having been updated since then either. Did the person doing that just lose interest or not have the time anymore or something?

Ardy likes this.
  14. Valint

Valint I trust you know where the happy button is?

Well, unless he respawns as a mortal in orbit around Earth with an OL ring, since we know where that leads...

rdfox, Vorian, Ngamer11 and 3 others like this.
  15. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

Cue the local Paul finding his "clone" and dealing with him.

16. jonasquinn

jonasquinn I trust you know where the happy button is?

So I've finally caught up and since I don't care about Renegade the last thing that happened for me was the whole Vega thin and while that happened weeks ago for everyone else I'm just gonna vent a little

Blake is an asshole, he claims that he only did thing the way he did in order to grant the New Vega Alliance their founding myth but the first time we see him in that episode clearly shows that he possesses a desperate desire to be needed and wanted so the real reason he did it so that he could usurp OL as Vega's residen superhero and even if that isn't true it would've cost him absolutely nothing to contact OL to let him know what was happening and just saying "we don't need your help" or even just asking for two or three lanterns to run prisoner rescue

Also, I'm a little surprised that OL hasn't called up the sisters for insubordination and while I doubt that Paul is petty enough to sever contact with the New Vega Alliance I can definitely see him being far less friendly to them know than he was before both because they lied to and manipulated him making him run around trying to fix a problem that had been fixed months ago, in the process distracting him from doing stuff that could actually help, and because before he was of the mindset that Vega was his responsibility, now he's going to be thinking "you can clearly deal with this stuff by yourself and you're obviously not above manipulating me so if you want my help then I'm getting something out of it from you"

Ngamer11, Chaoswind, Ardy and 2 others like this.
  17. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Wrong Klarion.

18. PDV

PDV Revelation That Uncertainty Is Itself An Answer

They may not have followed the thread to QQ.

Ardy likes this.
  19. Mr Zoat

Eastbourne? What would be the point of being corrupt in Eastbourne?
    Zod, educate this fool.
    Technically he was never convicted of murder. At the moment he just killed him.
    Probably something like that.
    The SI wasn't Vega's resident superhero. He hardly went back for six months.
    It isn't insubordination if you don't give them orders. The SI felt that Orange Lanterns he picked because he liked the sort of things they wanted would work better if left to their own devices. He's now reconsidering this policy.

20. jonasquinn

Fair enough but he's definitely the biggest cause of change in Vega in decades, if not centuries, so while Blake was a hero of legend for most modern Tamaraneans who ultimately failed OL is a modern day hero who saved them from slavery, avenged them against the Gordanians, overthrew the Citadel and saved their previous hero

Adam is pretty much living in OL's shadow, if he wants to fulfill his desire to be needed then he has to prove that he's just as good, if not better than, him which means not involving him in his operation against the Psions
    I'd argue that not only partaking in a genocide against an extremely advanced enemy that could retaliate against your corps but also hiding from and misleading your superior to prevent him from finding out is at best insubordination and at worst going AWOL

Last edited: Oct 1, 2019
  21. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

Originally I hated Renegade (e.g., the Thangarian ship episode was just boring) and I started skipping those. However, based on recommendations from others I gave him another go and Renepaul has really grown as a character and characters around him have developed as well. Surprisingly to me I have come to care (almost) as much about Renepaul as OL. YMMV, but it might be worth your time to reread the Renegade chapters.

Insubordination implies that the 'superior' need to be seen to be in control. OL is enlightened so his need for control (and he is a bit of a control freak) will be over needs strong Orange Lanterns who are following their own desires, sane and effective. However, I agree that he'll feel they can deal with their own stuff now and may ask more from them than he used to.

Also, I largely agree with your view of Blake. He could have and should have handled this differently.

Ngamer11 and BR549 like this.
  22. BR549

BR549 This is filth! FILTH!!

As mentioned above, you're skipping what is currently arguably the better side of the story.

23. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Wrong.

Here is where Teekl is declared to be from Witch World.

Here is where the witch hunter who came to Earth was declared to be from Witch World.

So Klarion's familiar and the witch hunters, who include his very own sister, come from Witch World.

Which means Klarion is from Witch World.

24. jonasquinn

Like I said in my other post, I'd argue that going out of your way to help commit genocide against a third party that your corps has no official stance against without even informing the corps of such a plan, and in fact going out of your way to hide it from them until it was too late, is at best insubordination and at worst counts as going AWOL

It isn't a perfect comparison but imagine if two marines overseas decided to work alongside a local militia to exterminate a group that the US has no official relations with and went out of their way to hide that from a visiting general because they thought he might stop them
    Fair enough, though I don't know if I can be bothered reading basically the whole story again and trying to keep all the different characters straight when I already struggle with the ones just in paragons timeline

25. Ardy

Ardy I trust you know where the happy button is?

Did you know that mental patients can have seriously aggressive reactions when their delusions are shattered?

Just a helpful tidbit

26. Twilight666

Twilight666 I trust you know where the happy button is?

No, I am here. But I started a new job last year and I have much less time.:oops:

On top of that since Mr Zoat came to QQ I have to redo everything. Including the first 2 seasons:(

Every time I think to do the epub, I remember that and... well... I get discouraged:(:(

27. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

I believe the Pigeon of war had it on him when OL was walking through heaven

28. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

IMO any comparison to military language or norms is just wrong when it comes to Paul's approach to the OLC. He knows any OLC members can go off and do whatever they want to; and the role he takes on is mostly mentoring. He finds ways to link their desires to his (Paul's) broader goals. It's not command and control, it's individually tailored personal/skill/spiritual development programs.

Ardy likes this.
  29. jonasquinn

Except there clearly is a structure to the OLC, if one that far looser than any real world military, Dox is in charge, Paul is second in command, there's a clear command structure with the Controllers and whilst your free to pursue your own desires you also represent the Corps, meaning that any enemy you make is their enemy as well unless they're willing to give you up, so you have to keep them up to date on what you're using the power given to you by them for

And you especially don't hide from, lie to and manipulate the second highest ranking and most powerful member of the Corps because an outsider convinced you to

If it wasn't the princesses that had done this I could see Paul taking their rings off them

Gantradies and Ngamer11 like this.
  30. Threadmarks: Conqueror's Moon (part 27)
    Mr Zoat

27th December 2004
    22:31 GMT -5

I can feel it through Grayven 50's command ship as the gordanian command carriers begin to disengage. The New God technology he built into their ships makes it.. easy. And a part of that might be due to me being spiritually similar to him… I don't know. I presume that they're heading back to Thanagar, but frankly I don't care all that much. It's possible that with their paramount chief dead that the gordanian clans who unified under him will fracture once again, or maybe like the clans who followed Genghis Khan they will remain organised in the manner he arranged them.

I imagine that it left rather an impression.

They could have stayed. The more intelligent amongst them must have realised that I couldn't get full control of Grayven 50's command ship as quickly as I implied. But perhaps the issue there was that Grayven 50 wanted to conquer Earth in order to recruit a new generation of officers. With his death that same incentive doesn't exist. However useful they were finding New God technology, they don't have anyone else who can use it. They might not even be able to build it any longer.

"And done."

Zatanna 50 steps back as I tentatively raise my right hand to my face. Well, for better or worse, it's back again. I then raise and flex my left hand.

"Thank you. Have you gotten practice since my last visit?"

"I've had practice." Zatanna glances at Barda. "You aren't the only New God who takes a lot of punishment."

I nod, standing as I do so. Sinestro, armour repair.

A glow covers my body as he gets to work. Mother Box will need to finish it off, but for 'simple' transmutation work it's easier to just leave him to it.

In progress, Lantern Grayven.

Richard turns away from where Scott is interfacing his Mother Box with the ship's systems. "Feeling better?"

"Physically. I'm sorry about your father."

He shakes his head. "I'll believe he's dead when I see the body."

"Hyperblasters don't leave bodies."

There's no view screen to look at, but he glances away for a moment. "John's not coming back in until he finds something. Shayera's not either. I… Look, if you think you'll have an easier time of using the ship's sensors than Mister Miracle-."

"I'll try. But-" I shake my head. "-I'm not expecting to find anything. I'd like little better than for Sunset, Rex, Batman and the genomorphs to still be alive. I just don't think a version of me would be that sloppy."

He nods. "No, but look anyway."

I nod back and head over to where Scott is regarding his Mother Box with a degree of puzzlement. "Having trouble?"

"How much contact with Apokoliptian warships do you think I've had?"

"Scott Sixteen had some. They were training him as an aero-trooper before he left Apokolips." I attach my Mother Box to what's left of the console next to Scott's. "Mother Box, interface."

"Ping."

Like when I felt the gordanians leave, I don't technically need Mother Box for this. In much the same way that companies managed perfectly well with filing cabinets before electronic databases were invented. I can feel just fine but it I want precision in a timely manner a Mother Box assistant is very useful.

Right. I Am Your Master.

Ping.

Scott looks at me appraisingly and Barda stares as the texture of the space inside the ship changes. I hadn't noticed it before… Perhaps the sarcophagus and the Anti-Life were disrupting it? The ship doesn't have a Mother Box equivalent or a more conventional AI; Grayven 50 probably didn't need one. Alright, records and sensors.

Ping.

"It's showing me organic chemicals. The Watchtower's waste disposal was located towards the base of the structure, wasn't it?"

Scott shrugs and looks at Richard.

"Yeah."

I use the ship's records to map the effect of the shot on the Watchtower. Grayven 50 was more concerned with demonstrating his power and undermining me than he was with making certain that everyone on the station was killed. Which makes sense; if I was going to do anything the first shot would have spurred me to act, and he could have finished off any survivors afterwards. Which he didn't do, because he was busy getting his head back in order after the Anti-Life exposure.

Faint hope. What was it Moist von Lipwig said about hope? I actually don't remember. Something along the lines of it making you buy any con just so you could convince yourself that you weren't being fooled. I'm not going to find anything just looking like this.

"Mother Box, boom tube to the Mountain."

Ping.

Boom!

The portal opens in front of me.

Anyone make it back there?

Ping.

No, I didn't think so. Close it down.

I go back through the logs for the ship's esoteric sensors. There weren't any New Gods in the target area, and I assume that Rex won't-. Wouldn't have been displaying his father's innate green light manipulation abilities. Or perhaps that would have been something he picked up later. I don't remember whether Jade was green from birth or not.

The New God technology I built in registered, but the targeting system was only set to compensate for shields and weapons. Shields… They were a little further down. They didn't have enough New Gods to get full use out of them or maintain them, and it would have interfered with their stealth systems. If… They got out, it would have been by the one boom tube I built or Sunset's magic. The ship can detect shifts in magic fields, but it didn't really have a background standard for Earth.

"Zatanna! Could you check to see whether someone used magic in the area of space where the Watchtower used to be?"

"Not easily. New God weapons and technology mess around with magic too much."

"Alright. Sinestro, connect me to John's radio."

"Stewart here."

"John, we're looking for bodies that aren't there. Either they were totally destroyed, or they got away."

"You got a better idea?"

"Create a construct-replica of the Watchtower. There are hiding-spells that are triggered by the existence of a safe space at the exit point. In theory, Sunset could have cast one." I look around. "Zatanna, Richard, could you pop down to Earth to make sure that they haven't appeared there?"

Boom!

I frown. That wasn't-.

Kanto strolls through, no longer holding his anti-New God gun. "I believe that you may have misplaced something."

Sunset walks through, looking around in obvious alarm, Rex on a sling across her chest. "What the buck happened?"

I dash across the intervening space, hauling her and my godson up and embracing them as tightly as I dare. "Where have you been?"

"There.. weren't any New Gods on the Watchtower so.. I went to Themyscira. I took Rex because Batman said he needed to get out more. Why?"

"My alter ego destroyed the Watchtower. I thought you were dead."

"Ah yes." Kanto smiles smugly. "About 'being dead'."

"Next thing I do after returning Rex to his parents."

Last edited: Oct 2, 2019