1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. rkyeun

rkyeun Cabbitus Maximus

Here's a list of a few other things that don't have fingers.
    Planets, math, literally nothing, smallpox, a billion spores.
    Ponies aren't difficult. You just put it around their leg just above the hoof.

2. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

Couple things regarding Grayven's pending trip to Equestria.

(1) Horses have fingers. Their hooves are just enlarged middle fingers. Which means every horse you've ever seen is flipping you off.

(2) Watch him be something completely different, like a draconequus...

Links inside invisitext? You madman!

(Seriously, I didn't realize it was a link until I quoted it, my invisitext detector thought it was invisitext-inside-invisitext.)

3. Norgarth

Norgarth Making the rounds.

[​IMG]

There's 2 Lanterns in this image alone who have tentacles rather than hands/fingers
    [​IMG]
    You can see the ring's glow around the tentacle of the Cyclops guy (3rd from the left) and the crystal ball guy over Stewart's shoulder clearly doesn't have hands even though you can't see the ring itself.

Plus of course rkyeun's list below. Mogo's not even all that obscure.
    EDIT:
    On a different topic, I haven't been able to read the chapters fro several days (had stopped with the chapter where Renegraven dropped the LIFE=PAIN bomb on the locals) Which worked out well, as I was able to binge the entire battle at once.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2019
  4. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Who has fingers.

[​IMG]

Which really fits every single member of the lantern corp, because they all have digits or appendages that a standard power ring fits on.

Pony's don't, they have giant hooves a power ring won't fit on.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2019
    Cuchulin likes this.
  5. NeoDarklight

NeoDarklight The Final Observer

Irrelevant- the post above yours makes the point that there are Green Lanterns who don’t even have digits, and even quotes someone else who produced a list which includes Lanterns who don’t even have physical bodies, let alone fingers.

6. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

7. Imperator Pax

Imperator Pax Talon Master

Nose ring option

... my little sister (since she's in college now) got her nose pierced recently :rolleyes:

8. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

While I suppose it's possible that the spores of the Collective are actually born with a power ring inside their bodies, I suspect they actually come by their powers organically.

If the Collective Queen was actually mass producing green lantern power rings, then the GLC would be sitting on billions of extra rings, as each ring became free as an individual puffball dies.

9. Norgarth

Norgarth Making the rounds.

for that matter, there are earrings, lip rings, eyebrow rings, navel rings, etc

Cuchulin, Ardy and Imperator Pax like this.
  10. Buggy123

Buggy123 I trust you know where the happy button is?

Also, don't a lot of them have, yknow... a horn? Seems like a convenient spot for a ring if you ask me.

And IIRC, in canon rings can resize significantly to fit their wearer. A small bracelet around a leg isn't out of the question, since that might be the same size as a particularly large species' finger.

11. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

You might want to read the post you are responding too...

Power Rings don't have a latch that allows them to open up.

Only unicorns and alicorns.

They resize a small amount.

A bracelet is much larger then anything ever seen.

Imperator Pax likes this.
  12. QuiescentQueste

QuiescentQueste Not too sore, are you?

...If your problem with a sentient horse, wearing a magic ring, powered by emotion is that you can't believe that they can wear the ring I don't know what to tell you there buddy.

13. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

Um... how big is Mogo's ring, again?

14. Maxx Crowley

Maxx Crowley I trust you know where the happy button is?

To say nothing of the sentient math equation.

15. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

I would assume Mogo can wear a small ring. All he needs to do is put it on one of the tips of his mountains. Or on a stalactite. As for the rest though, can’t really argue.

16. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

The same size as everybody else's.

[​IMG]

boo600, EgyptianDio, Jaron and 11 others like this.
  17. NeoDarklight

NeoDarklight The Final Observer

I did. You should have probably read the post I was referring to.

Prince Charon and Ardy like this.
  18. Steelplaza

Steelplaza Custom Title

By the way, since there was some distress in this thread about the new Teen Lantern character and her supposed origin....

Yeah, the new issue of Young Justice came out and she was totally lying about her origin. She didn't hack any power battery. She got her power pack and gauntlet from a dying alien. Where the alien got it from is still unanswered, but there's a vague implication that he was a criminal on the run from someone; perhaps the Guardians. Story still to be filled out.

19. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

That's post flashpoint, so Zoat is unlikely to use that.

Pre Flashpoint, Mogo keeps his ring in his brain.

Well perspective can play tricks, but it looks bigger than a school bus here-

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 3, 2019
  20. Threadmarks: Conqueror's Moon (supplementary, SI option)
    Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

13th February 2012
    22:43 GMT -6

"…in front of him, then showed him my diplomatic passport."

I take a sip of my drink, which in defiance of my usual custom is actually alcoholic. I'm even letting it intoxicate me a little. Just a little, but… I'm still feeling unhappy about Vega. Perhaps a mild amount of mind-altering will give me a new perspective?

"Are you rilly supposed t' use it like that?"

I sit back in my seat. I think Harleen just shifted from 'casual' to 'slightly professional', which… That's not a terrible idea. With someone like me -including me- the people around me have good reason to want to make sure that I'm thinking straight.

"Generally, Queen Hippolyta is happy for me to use it to duck certain vexatious consequences of my work as a superhero. Specifically…" I shrug. "I'm honestly not sure if she's ever touched a computer in her life, so I've got no idea how I'd even start explaining 'microtransactions' to her." I smile. "Though if they try talking her into rescinding my immunity, I'd love to watch them."

"Yeah, but it's kinda out of charactah, ain't it?"

"Y-ess… Sort of." I slightly raise my left hand and rotate the rings so that they're 'sigil up'. "Just because I can focus on long term things, that doesn't mean that I don't still feel the same impulses to implement quick fixes to the things in my immediate environment. I just think twice before I do it. And after the week I've had, I felt the need to do something a little impulsive."

"What happened?"

"Some.. people I was giving a great deal of leeway to used it in a way that I'd rather that they hadn't. And now I'm giving serious thought to whether I need to keep closer watch on the people I give rings to."

"How bad are we tawkin' here?"

"Hard to say. I'm not even completely certain that they were in the wrong." I shake my head. "There was a planet inhabited by a really evil species. And I don't.. mean just.. 'they had a bad government' or whatever, they literally biologically and sociologically engineered themselves to be as cruel and vicious as possible and to enjoy it."

"'Was'."

"Yeah. The thing is, they had a lot of 'test subjects' on their planet. And they were planning on fleeing the region. I'm not usually one for palming problems off when I can resolve them, but if they'd offered to trade their hostages for the ability to leave… I'd probably have agreed. As it was, they were all killed and only a handful of their prisoners were rescued. And… A lot of people I trusted… To a degree, anyway, went out of their way to keep me out of the loop. And… I effectively decided not to deal with the problem myself, so I'm annoyed with them for excluding me but also annoyed at myself for being annoyed about them taking the initiative. I mean, orange light; their desires aren't going to line up perfectly with my own."

"You should probably-"

"Talk to them about it." / "-tawk t' them abowt it."

We both chuckle quietly. It's an oldie, but… Yes. Talking to Komand'r and Koriand'r about what I expect from them and what they expect from me is something I'm going to need to do. In a little while. Let things settle down. I checked before I left and there really isn't anything they have planned that I don't approve of.

"Hey, lady. Halloween was five months ago." I look over towards the door as the doorman intercepts my other guest. "And I'm gunna want to see some I… D...."

A slightly-built figure in an all-enveloping cloak and wearing a decorated porcelain mask stares at him for a moment and his whole body locks up. Then she walks past, a damp patch appearing at the crotch of his trousers and trickling down his right leg.

I hold up my right hand in a wave to get Melinoë's attention as she studies the bar. She spots me, but keeps going until she has the whole place surveyed and the bouncer partially collapses against the wall before heading over to us.

"That ain't somethin' you see every day. Do I run now..?"

Melinoë stops at our table and stands there motionless. Alright, I suppose that it's for me to make the introductions.

"Thank you for joining us."

"Father insisted."

Her tone is frostier than usual.

"Have I done something wrong?"

She folds her arms across her chest and looks away.

"I am unhappy to be called upon in this manner. My brother has been making.. lewd insinuations, about our interactions."

"I'll put him straight when I see him." I turn to Harleen. "Doctor Harleen Quinzel, this is Melinoë, chthonic nymph of-."

"Madness. Yeah."

"Madness and nightmares. Don't assume that I can't touch you just because you're sane."

Shadows coil under her, forming themselves into a stool. She sits, then removes her mask and places it upon the table. Harleen blinks in surprise as she gets an unimpeded view of Melinoë's face. The lighting in here is too low for her to see the skin tone clearly but the horns are very obvious.

"Why am I here?"

"Since I've been helping your father find new relevance, it hit me that I could do the same for you."

"Ahum..?"

"You want me to spread madness and nightmares?"

"There was a short story written by my favourite author, in which a travel agent tried to convince the devil that while no one wanted to be stuck in Hell permanently, plenty of people would pay to go there temporarily. People like dabbling with fear or horror in controlled environments. That's.. basically what horror films are."

She regards me carefully. "Go on."

"It wouldn't take much effort to make marker tokens, which could be taken by people who actively want nightmares. Then you could practise your trade upon them."

"What sort of idiot would volunteer for something like that?"

"Hey, that's your future cultists you're talking about."

"And you think people will volunteer to be struck mad too?"

"For just a little while?"

Melinoë deigns to look at Harleen. "That is within my power."

"Are you-? Yeah, just abowt ev'ry shrink on the planet. You could get all kinds of insight if you could get a disordah for a whyle then go back to bein' neurotypical."

She seems genuinely excited at the idea. Melinoë just looks puzzled.

"Perhaps I was premature in my assessment of your mental state after all."

21. Cuchulin

Cuchulin Versed in the lewd.

Well this IS Harley Quinn we are talking about...

22. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Is this going to be the origin of a heroic Harley Quinn? Just add magic from her new BFF Melinoë to make her a credible threat to bad guys. Maybe she can be a heroic duo with the reformed Pamela Isley, or a trio if Melinoë thinks it's interesting enough.

23. TheEyes

TheEyes Well worn.

It's genuinely shocking (in the best way) to see a Harley who is genuinely interested in academia like this. Too often Harley in fanfiction, even before meeting the Joker, ends up shunted into a ditzy role (I remember one version slept with her professor for a degree, with the goal of writing a tell-all book to get rich quick). I like the idea of a Harley who is a real scientist.

Birds of Prey, WTR Edition? I like it.

24. Cuchulin

Cuchulin Versed in the lewd.

Yeah, she is mostly just the Jokers girl or a independent villain or semi-villain that USED to be the Jokers girl and no longer has much I any interest in academics.

25. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

26. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Eh, it's overrated. Nice to see the Paragon dealing with his feelings about Vega.

Gee, you think?

Short-term impulsiveness? Seriously, is this the same SI we're talking about here?

Oh, where to start...

That's a very simple way of putting it, heh...

She's no idiot.

And it's the fact they didn't communicate with you at all about it that's the sticker, isn't it?

The sooner the better, though. Don't go forgetting about it like so many other sub-plots.

Geez, kind of excessive?

Ooh, she is smart. And Genre-savvy.

Ah, with a line along the lines of "You need to get out more, dear."? :p

Yup, she ain't happy. Well, less 'not happy' than usual.

I could see Harley reading up on Greek gods, especially after Christmas.

"Ooh, she's a cutie!" Seriously, some girls, horns work.

Hear him out, this could be good.

Ooh, she's interested.

How.. appropriate for this thread.

Oh-ho. I can see it, certainly. It would give scientists and psychologists an better understanding of their patients.

Like I said.

Never underestimate Harleen Quinzel.

Good to see the SI getting back to his usual self, after Vega. And a nice break from Godspeech. Back to the Renegade next, I expect?

27. Baladar

Baladar Know what you're doing yet?

While Grayven is hugging his pony in love and happiness, Paul is figuring out how to market actual nightmares and insanity.

I stopped being able tell who’s the good one anymore a long time ago.

28. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Can she only grant nightmares and madness or take them as well? If she has domain powers she should make an excellent psychiatrist.

29. Imperator Pax

Imperator Pax Talon Master

Best girl!

Melinoe I mean, because her dad is Hades, and she's just in general cool.

Gilhelmi, RGFJ, Buggy123 and 7 others like this.
  30. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

What short story is he talking about? And what author? Pratchett? (What with the recent references). His books tend to be kind of hit or miss, though, at least for me. Depending on the book, I either love it, or it’s just meh...

Unfortunately, I don’t think Isley got reformed in this. And she lost her powers. So no to her being in birds of Prey. Catwoman would definetely be an option, judging by her in the NSFW fic.

Also, I think Harley just looked in the face of madness and said “Huh.” If that’s not the definition of a psychotherapist , I don’t know what is.