1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Sceptic

Sceptic Critical Irrationalist

The trick is to stop before you reach the room-that-echoes1m15s stage.
    I'm mildly surprised that you got in before Beaten by Richard Were-rat.

Edit: Because apparently I'm blind.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2019
  2. Imperator Pax

Imperator Pax Talon Master

Eh, I was making food and didn't press post until after. Hence he beat me to 'Best Girl', but mine elaborated.

Also her comment regarding her brother was hilarious

For anyone who needs reminding:
    Yes, I support a Melinoe section for the Eros 'omake' segments

3. Tzeentch

Tzeentch I trust you know where the happy button is?

All kinds of emotional/mental thrill seekers and masochists, I imagine.

I imagine she'll be very popular in some of the more dedicated goth subculture groups, weeding out the "posers" with her nightmares and suchlike...

Vorian, Gilhelmi, Buggy123 and 7 others like this.
  4. Aeess

Aeess I trust you know where the happy button is?

Thats like asking Hades to raise the dead or Ares and Athena to end Wars, like ysah they probably could, but it would extremely contrary to their nature.

5. Ganurath

Ganurath Apologizes For Nothing

Eris: "I should be mad at Paul at this point, but at the rate he's going odds are he's going to dethrone Zeus on accident, and that shit's hilarious."

6. TheMidnightRook

TheMidnightRook Well worn.

The "slept with her professor" part has actually been part of her canon backstory at least a couple of times. The Tvtropes page for the relevant trope not only uses Harley for the page image; but of the five entries under Comic Books, three are about her.

7. Cuchulin

Cuchulin Versed in the lewd.

On the contrary, you could go a Discworld-ish route giving people like say the Joker or Killer Croc the delusion that the are Completely Sane and Normal people who have always been Normal people or be sane but act like a stereotypical British person. Replace peoples debilitating madness with some thing that doesn't keep them from living a "normal" life, like a compulsion to walk backwards or that there is/was a ministry of silly walks.

8. NightmareWarden

NightmareWarden Versed in the lewd.

Uh. Ahum... Please hold for a minute, I think I'm having some part of my mind blown after reading this "divinely-induced catharsis" experiment.

Like... The idea that a mentally unwell patient who consistently takes their medicine for months on end, long enough will fully understand the differences in competence, attitude and more is a single long-term goal for therapists. This idea of giving healthy customers a taste of something like Alzheimer's or depressed/apathetic patients a taste of mania to give them idea of normalcy *really* interests me.

BBJimmy, Gilhelmi, Ardy and 7 others like this.
  9. Queshire

Queshire Not too sore, are you?

Hmm... I wonder if normal gods operate by the same sort of conceptual techniques we've been seeing from the new gods?

Also we've seen a bit of it with conquest vs conquest, but I wonder how something between two gods with different ideas about a shared domain would play out? Say, Apollo vs Amaterasu, Thor vs Zeus, or in this case one that sees madness as punishment vs one that sees it as liberation.

Ardy, DrThoth, erebus1994 and 2 others like this.
  10. Senevri

Senevri Not too sore, are you?

Melinoe's character seems almost identical to Raven in the Teen Titans show. I thought mrZoat didn't like it?

Relyt33 likes this.
  11. Imperator Pax

Imperator Pax Talon Master

Presumably he meant the heresy that is teen titans go, rather than the original.

12. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

It's canon in the universe of DCAU, where she originated, I'm not aware of it being repeated.

There is a similar backstory, but in that one she was acing the class, and slept with her professor because she just wanted to sleep with her professor.

13. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

She lost her powers, which made her sane again. Then Swamp Thing let her have some of the power back without going crazy. Last I remember she was in the low security wing of a prison and the doctors believe she has rehabilitated. Has she been let out yet Mr Zoat?

14. CTrees

CTrees Chasing the ring

Thankfully Zoat probably isn't following current DC, but Harley, per Heroes in Crisis, is acknowledged by Batman as being a better fighter than he is, and was too fast for Wonder Woman to keep up with. Also managed to stab through Booster Gold's suit with a butter knife she took from a diner (yes it had more of a point than most butter knives, but it was the knife they gave her with a slice of pie, so).

15. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

Huh. So that's where the name comes from.

Grayven has been the good one for a while, now. Certainly since before the switch to QQ, maybe even since before the switch to SV.

Bramble Thorn, Gilhelmi, RGFJ and 2 others like this.
  16. lefthandturnsignal

lefthandturnsignal Making the rounds.

Did she steal super powers from someone else when no one was looking?

Odysseus2099, BBJimmy, Ardy and 6 others like this.
  17. Lord Ernest

Lord Ernest At the End...

What?! Are they trying to make Harley the Squirrel Girl of DC or some bullshit like that? How in all hells would she be a better fighter than Batman and too fast for Wonder Woman to keep up?! Who gave her Kryptonian powers?

Ugh, you know what, I don't want to know. For a reason I stopped reading new comics a good long while ago and only re-read my favorite classics.

Also, I agree, Grayven has been the "good" one of the story for a really long time. Plus, he has better snark and witticisms than the Illustres.

18. rkyeun

rkyeun Cabbitus Maximus

The spores each have a bit of intelligence, but are a hivemind. Collectively, the billion of them have the will to wield a power ring.
    Pull Leezle Pon's finger. I dare you.

Lord Ernest and Buggy123 like this.
  19. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

No, Teen Titans is fine. Teen Titans Go is excretable.

Also, Raven doesn't have horns or wear a mask.
    I can't even parody something that stupid.

20. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

Oh El mind runs on greed, that's not what I would call sane.

It says something that even when making stupid mistakes Grayven is more human than he is.

Heck it has got to the point I don't care about Oh El anymore.

RGFJ likes this.
  21. The Unaligned Player

The Unaligned Player Agony that desires to meet Extinction

Okay seriously what’s with the ‘Paragon is inhuman’ thing I genuinely cannot figure out what anyone is talking about.

22. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

People who say that are pointing out that Paragon's thought processes don't work like a typical person's anymore. Between training himself to think in terms of orange light and the automatic insights he gets from enlightenment, he's no longer necessarily aligned with the instincts common to most humans.

Whether this qualifies his thought processes as "inhuman" or not is a matter of opinion, but it's not factually wrong.

23. The Unaligned Player

The Unaligned Player Agony that desires to meet Extinction

Ah thank you for the explanation and you are correct that wether that qualifies as inhuman, and if that is a bad thing is murky at best. Ascension or Extinction

WhiteNoise, Ardy, RGFJ and 3 others like this.
  24. jonasquinn

jonasquinn I trust you know where the happy button is?

I think the people who are saying that Grayven is the good one now are thinking about it in way too black and white terms, both Paragon and Renegade have done some pretty awful stuff the main difference between them is their thought processes and I'd argue that since Grayvens is closer to normal humans than Paul's that he's actually worse from a human perspective because he's committed his atrocities with the mindset of a human whereas Paul has committed his with a mindset that's only about 80% human

WhiteNoise and Cuchulin like this.
  25. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Melinoe was refering to Harleen.

26. SirKaid

SirKaid Know what you're doing yet?

The difference is not "good and evil", it's never been "good and evil". The difference is that Grayven is impulsive whereas Paul is methodical. All of the rest of their differences are merely the effects of impulsiveness or methodicalness.

The rest of their personalities and ultimate goals are the same, it's just that Grayven will grab for whatever catches his interest while Paul will make plans and then carry them out.

Razorfloss, jonasquinn and Ardy like this.
  27. Siskulous

Siskulous Know what you're doing yet?

To be fair the Harley Quinn most of us are familiar with has had her psyche thoroughly destroyed by quite possibly the most dangerous psychopathic genius and force for chaos in the world. This one never had the chance to be tortured, abused, and shaped into what Joker wanted her to be.

I could not agree more. TT was pretty awesome. TTG is utter shit.

I know someone in real life whose thought processes seem pretty far from typical. In his case I'd call it a good thing, but I wouldn't go so far as to call him inhuman because of it. Atypical absolutely, but not inhuman.

28. TheMidnightRook

TheMidnightRook Well worn.

She didn't steal them, she was endowed with the most OP powerset in comics.

29. Cuchulin

Cuchulin Versed in the lewd.

I second that.

30. RocjawCypher

RocjawCypher Making the rounds.

I'd take a look at some of Unpretty's "sorrowful and imaculate hearts" series on AO3. She's very crazy but sharp as a tack and absolutely has her PHD.

Gilhelmi and Cuchulin like this.