1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. thebishop8

thebishop8 Umm, ackchyually...

Scott did the same thing when he reunited Lynn with the Renegade. Not sure how they're doing that; If hush tube generators can't be man-portable, then the parallel universe traveling boom tubes shouldn't be either. Maybe their Mother Boxes are able to use the Source to connect to the generator though parallel universes, similar to what the Renegade did earlier this episode? We'll see what Mr Zoat has to say about this when he gets back.

I think you're vastly underestimating the power requirements. The Renegade thought that a ship-sized hush tube would need all of Apokolips to power it. If the power requirements of a man-sized hush tube aren't notable compared to the power requirements of a man-sized parallel universe traveling boom tube, then the power requirements of a ship-sized parallel universe traveling boom tube...well, this is why I said it was not in the cards.

2. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

There's a more obvious reason he's not trying to bring the ship back.

Darkseid would seize control of it the same way he did Fatherbox.

3. Gantradies

Gantradies Not too sore, are you?

i mean, you both have a point-
    we also dont know enough about the ship's infrastructure/capabilities to make definitive judgements, or details of how the tech scales/the ins and outs of the physical limitations- for all we know, its like certain kinda DEW's/weapons in some settings- islands of practicality at either end of the scaling curve- i.e a universe-jumping tube might be the sorta thing that is workable at the single-person scale (economy/level of energy draw), and at the far end of the "starship/super-capitol craft/ fuck-it-lets-strap-boosters-onto-the-planet" region due to the massive increase in available power/hardware, and nowhere inbetween....

4. thebishop8

thebishop8 Umm, ackchyually...

The Renegade said that the power requirements of a boom tube scale cubically with its size. This is the chapter where I am getting a good portion of my information: https://forum.questionablequesting....stice-si-story-only.8961/page-64#post-2663110

Gantradies and Ardy like this.
  5. Gantradies

Gantradies Not too sore, are you?

oh, no argument,
    the primary factor i was thinking of, is if there's a point in scale where the increased efficiency of a larger system/the sheer brute-force of a massively more capable powersource "balances" the exponential increase in draw out past a certain point, even if the sheer expense involved would just make it an accademic curiosity-
    im trying to remember WHAT it was, there's...some kind of specific shielding/weapons tech in Proximal Flame's The Last Angelverse that performs the same way- you use it on an infantry/AFV scale or in batteries on a dreadnought, but it isnt really worth it anywhere in between- i think its also kinda like that with Rifling, if inreverse-

at the low end of firearms tech its not worth it for the cost/additional manufacturing complexity for mas use, till its a massive improvement, untill you start getting better performance out of unrifled weapons firing fin-stablised projectiles over a certain velocity...

6. Nervaqus987

Nervaqus987 Well worn.

Fatherbox is a living machine, possessed of its own will and desires. That those desires are Darkseid's is solely because it was "born" and "raised" on Apokolipse and that's the sorta place it is.

The ship meanwhile, is a fucking ship. It may have been designed to be used by a New God, but it is still an inanimate object. It is not secretly working for Darkseid, nor will it unless suborned in a relatively more mundane fashion.

Or in other words;

Darkseid: "Obey me, Fatherbox."

Fatherbox: Ploong As you command, Lord Darkseid.

Darkseid: "Obey me, ship."

Ship: "Please input password."

Darkseid: "DeSaad, hack this ship."

Kalibak: *Hands DeSaad an ax*

DeSaad: "No, no. Not that kind of hacking."

Kalibak: "Oooh."

7. Threadmarks: Guys from Gotham (part 1)
    Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Guys from Gotham

16th February
    20:12 GMT -5

Huh.

That's… The bat-signal. I'm honestly… A little surprised that a twenty-first century Gotham uses it. I mean, it sort of made sense when Batman was first published. Telephones were strictly fixed point and connected to traceable wires, and Batman would have to have been waiting around by it to get a message. Or Mr Pennyworth could have taken a message, but the man himself might not have picked it up for hours. And a radio wouldn't have been much better. But… Even in the eighties a bat-pager would have made more sense. It's not as if a giant light shining up into the sky is a subtle signal. Criminals would know that the police were calling in Batman anyway.

Maybe… To get around jamming? But it doesn't work in the day

Pass.

Actually, where is Batman?

Hm. Well. I suppose they can't expect him to turn up all the time.

Still, I am… Living here now. And Richard has school tomorrow. And I'm not.. doing anything this evening that I can't put off.

I smile and raise my right index and middle fingers to my forehead.

Commissioner James Gordon, Detective Harvey Bullock and a couple of uniformed officers I haven't met before are standing next to the signal on the roof of police headquarters. Gordon's holding a paper folder-

How quaint. Ring, copy it.

Compliance.

-in his right hand. None of them seem particularly excited, but then I suppose that they're used to Batman taking a while to arrive. And a person's capacity for being horrified… Takes a bit of a beating in Gotham.

Well, let's see what's going on. I let my environmental shield glow as I head towards the rooftop. Harvey spots me first, and subtly makes eye contact with Commissioner Gordon before gesturing to me with the end of his cigarette. Then Gordon spots me and… Doesn't exactly look thrilled.

"Something I can do for you gentlemen?"

"Orange Lantern." The Commissioner walks to the edge of the building closest to me as I stand in empty space adjacent to it. "Thank you, but that won't be necessary."

"No?"

Harvey frowns at me. "What you doin' here, anyway?"

I smile. "You'll laugh."

"Yeah?"

"I live here now!"

He drops his cigarette, but his facial expression doesn't change all that much. "Since when?"

"Christmas. My girlfriend moved away for work but she wanted to keep the place, so I'm house-sitting for her."

Harvey snorts. "Yeah, word of advice, buddy? If she moves to a different city-."

"Planet."

"That too. Then she's gone."

"I can instantly teleport interstellar distances, so it's not really that far… It's like she's got an overseas posting with the army or something."

He looks sceptical. "If you say so, buddy."

"So… What's the signal for?"

Gordon turns to me after wandering back towards the signal. "It's for Batman."

"I'd… be happy to help?"

"Orange Lantern. I'm… Grateful for the offer, but last time you were working in this city we got invaded by plants, zombies and plant zombies."

"That wasn't last time. Last time was when I apprehended Otis Flannegan."

"It stuck in my mind."

"I didn't bring any of them here."

"And then there were the angels. Do you know how many religious crazies we had to deal with because of that?"

"Hey, I was the victim there."

"We'll wait for Batman. If he wants your help, fine."

"Could be a long wait."

"Batman is a highly skilled criminal investigator with an excellent understanding of the minds of deranged criminals. We need his intellect. We don't need your… Firepower."

Harvey snorts, while Commissioner Gordon looks hopefully at the bat signal.

"I just.. happen to know that he's in the Ukraine right now and probably won't make it back."

Commissioner Gordon sags slightly.

"Come on: don't look a gift-Lantern in the-" Hm? "-mouth."

I look up as Batwoman cape-glides down from a nearby building and lands just in front of Gordon.

"Batman is unavailable."

Gordon glances my way. "We heard." He lifts up his folder-.

Ring, summary?

Thefts of chemicals and medical equipment have led Gotham police to believe that someone is creating Smilex. Joker is still confined to Arkham Asylum. Thieves unidentified, but not wearing Joker motifs.

Can we scan for Smilex and its derivatives?

Smilex found.

I'm sorry, say that again?

Smilex found.

Huh. Someone's not connected to the criminal grapevine very well. I'd gotten a bit used to not being able to skip to the end like this. I mean. okay, those concentrations are probably left over from one of Napier's old crime sprees, but… Yep, that's the stolen equipment.

I transition across the city, to a professional-looking low rise business complex. Just the sort of place for start-ups, and my target isn't the only one with gas tanks. Hah, reminds me of that time back on Earth Prime when the Cells4Life lab team left a nitrogen tank in the hallway and people started panicking about it. But that's definitely Smilex and a.. few novel variants. One man inside. Smilex is very illegal, theft is somewhat illegal and I'm pretty sure that he's breaking zoning laws too.

I drift towards… Whoever that is, the walls and racking in my way breaking into bits and floating aside. He draws a gun -just a chemical kinetic pistol- and I bind him in construct chains before shutting down and grabbing all of his equipment.

Right, that's… About everything. And transition.

"Commissioner?"

They look up in astonishment.

"Looking for this?"

Last edited: Oct 5, 2019
  8. Ardy

Ardy I trust you know where the happy button is?

I get second hand malicious glee from their reactions.

Also, I mean, she did basically join the army...

It’s just that it’s his army

9. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Please don't tell me this is the start of what makes Batman and Paul's relationship strained, proving Paul right when he says baseline humans are not much compared to what they have to fight, and that Batman would be better off if he just took the Danner or Garrick Formula.

Actually the Darkstars are of a separate chain of command from the OLC. I think it's more like two different divisions of one large army; Paul is second-in-command of the OLC, while Jade is an operative of the Darkstars.

10. Imperator Pax

Imperator Pax Talon Master

Lol, and Bullock giving the advice.

Batwoman may not appreciate being upstaged here though

WargWolf, Ngamer11, DrThoth and 6 others like this.
  11. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Hmm... An episode focusing on Gotham? I'm anticipating the local crooks growing ever more vexed by OL ruining their schemes...

Often, just knowing Batman is on the case might be enough to unsettle some less unhinged goons...

Love how casually he manages that. Not even a pulse of ring activity.

So that's become his shorthand for 'using my Orange Light Shaman talents' now :p

Or it's the early stage of a Weirdo caper.

I suspect they're wary of him overcomplicating things, after all.

Oh, he's good at hiding his surprise...

Eh, not in this case. After all, an empath would easily pick up on signs of infidelity or uncertainty... Even OL might.

Ah, so doubting.

Face it, OL, you walked into that one. :D

So not a 100% hit rate on bad luck.

Like they'd stand out against the general background noise of Gotham crazy?

Well, that's no fun.

Man, ruining his buzz like that. I bet he was hoping Batman'd pull the stealth-byebye on him... You know, for old time's sake.

Well, the nicer-looking alternative. Seriously, the batsuit always works so well on the ladies.

Speed-reading the quest text, eh?

Interesting. A copycat?

Wait what?

Good grief, an actual possibility for scry-and-die-arrest.

Oh, man, this is just cruel. This was a level 1 encounter, and you just walk over it with a level 45 Lantern?

"You're really taking all the fun out if this, you know."

Ah, got to love returning to low-level areas with a character near the level cap. All those grey mobs, unaware of what walks amongst them... :p

WargWolf, Vorian, Ngamer11 and 39 others like this.
  12. Zeushobbit

Zeushobbit I use my mind and yours doesn't matter.

Hehehehehehe. Glad to see we're back with Paragon Paul.

People always seem to forget that the lanterns are space cops.

13. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Now that...was a bit mean :p

Remember, Squirrel Girl quit multiple Avengers teams to make the others not feel inadequate.

WargWolf, Vorian, Rebu and 19 others like this.
  14. Simonbob

Simonbob Really? You don't say.

Well, I can't speak for Harvey, but I laughed!

15. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

Greenies are space cops. OLs are Queen Whatrvera Wannabes.

16. BR549

BR549 This is filth! FILTH!!

Or very, very much aware. In City of Heroes the gray mobs pointedly do not attack you unless you attack them first, they actually have a self-preservation instinct!

17. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

D-doesn't paul know the bat-signal isn't just for signalling to batman, it's for signalling to Gotham that the batman is out tonight.

For the regular citizens, it gives a sense of security that they are safe, for criminals it puts them on edge or sends them into hiding where they are hurting anyone.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2019
  18. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

Laws of comic narrative sort of state that all encounters have to eventually be leveled. Sure, you might get an easy villain, but if you’re a powerful hero, there’s no way he’s working alone. By getting involved, he just has to have caused worse problems.
    This guy is an obvious front for either hell or Apocalypse, trying to mix devil jizz with Smilex.

WargWolf, gustyeagle, Ardy and 9 others like this.
  19. Lord Ernest

Lord Ernest At the End...

I was laughing so hard for 5 minutes straight with that, so a major inconvenience for everyone trying to sleep at home. Ah, I do love seeing a high-level character just curb-stomp some wannabe villain's scheme or encounter; it had been a long time since the Illustres had one of those.

Maybe while Batman is out, the Illustres decides to crack the mystery that is Gotham, maybe Robin and other members of the Team get pulled in (haven't seen the guys in a while) and we get a self-contained but hilarious Gotham adventure out of it.

Buggy123, Ardy, Gilhelmi and 4 others like this.
  20. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

Cracking the mystery that is Gotham usually tends to go into stupid territory - like being built on top of a portal to hell in older versions (and probably some of New 52), or New 52s Court of Owls and then Barbados.

21. Tzeentch

Tzeentch I trust you know where the happy button is?

GORDON: Uh, yes.... actually.

MONTOYA: Whoa, now THAT was fast! Probably a new record even!

BULLOCK: ....Does this mean we're changin' the signal?

22. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

OL isn’t a symbol for the same things Batman is. Also, religious fundamentalists hate him.

23. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

Chojin Patriarch likes this.
  24. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

so the boys are back in town?

25. PrinceJonathan

PrinceJonathan Versed in the lewd.

Batma'am can go suck a lemon.

26. Gilhelmi

Gilhelmi Know what you're doing yet?

The Bat-Signal is a tool of intimidation, a signal to the people that there is hope.
    The Beacon causes criminals to flee the streets, and the people to sleep easier at night.
    A simple beam of light, and the destiny of the river is changed.

Also, cellphones are easily traceable, the tech did not exist back when pagers were a thing but I assume that someone could figure it out today. The GCPD is no longer (as) corrupt, so the low to mid level crooks would not know. Reading the rest of the post, it was definitely not the smartest of all criminals...........

Though, could this be Mr. Smiley (the evil stand-in for the DC editorial staff) trying to bring a new Joker into the world because you can not have Batman without the Joker? (In his twisted, evil, editorial mind.)

WargWolf, Vorian, Ngamer11 and 7 others like this.
  27. Gilhelmi

Gilhelmi Know what you're doing yet?

I have heard so many good things about that game, but never got around to trying it before the servers went offline.

Unless there is a fan-server somewhere....... Holy Hand Grenade there is an ACTIVE fan community, with plenty of servers. I honestly was not expecting that, then again maybe I should have since WoW Classic just launched recently......

I really need to computer shop now.

BR549 and Chojin Patriarch like this.
  28. Gazing Eye

Gazing Eye Compound, Lidless, Always Watching.

.....I could totally see Paul singing that...

"'Im so not a villain, I have zero evil plans
    No ulterior motive, just want to help where I can
    I wanna shower you with gifts
    'Cause I'm selfless and sweet
    So there's no reason at all to be suspicious of me"

29. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

That song is so...catchy.

Oh this is perfect.

Also, Lego Batman is best Batman.

Navi-Hank likes this.
  30. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

Lego Batman IS best Batman.

But now I have to wonder about Lego OL and what he's going to be building.