1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. King of Frost

King of Frost Wishing I was somewhere colder no doubt.

Is OL trying to keep it quiet that the new Blue Lantern on Earth is the Green Lantern from decades and decades ago?

2. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

You get more people listening when you speak and hold yourself politely, while smashing the fuck out of their stuff.

It's the disconnect that does it.

3. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.

4. AtomicGeneral25

AtomicGeneral25 Insert Creativity Here

He's got those 5 ghost dragons hanging in the air, give him a second!

Impartial Panic, w34v3r and Cuchulin like this.
  5. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Wide eyed OL: "Hello friendly villagers! Do any of you, buy any means, have done anything illegal around these here parts?"

Reminds me of Captain Carrot of the Watch. Every criminal is to embarrassed by his earnestness to do anything to him.

6. Gantradies

Gantradies Not too sore, are you?

And yet, when one of them -genuinely- does something that crosses the line, he suddenly doesn’t look so harmless from over his crossbow/ plain, absolutely mundane sword... ( the joke being, that simple, unadorned sword could probably cut a mountain/ god in half with enough force behind it, since its sheer non-Magicality makes it an order of magnitude more REAL then anything else on the disc...).....and unlike their fellows, WONT gloat instead of pulling the trigger..

thats the feel the smarter crooks here Are getting (I sincerely hope)- that the smiles and affable talk are infinitely preferable to what’ll happen if they stop being civil first...

7. Sockmonkey

Sockmonkey I trust you know where the happy button is?

Yeah, this is some good old vintage OL.

Ngamer11, Ardy, dxdragon and 7 others like this.
  8. Flux Casey

Flux Casey The Colonel

Really? One pleasant conversation with a friendly old man was his threshold for it being too much of a hassle?

9. Grimnar

Grimnar Versed in the lewd.

10. Mr Zoat

Not exactly. Carrot's strong, but as we saw in Jingo he's perfectly killable. These people aren't a threat to the SI.
    It's more that he doesn't want to get stopped for a chat by everyone he walks past.

Dudedude123, Massgamer, Ardy and 15 others like this.
  11. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

My first response to a Chinese guy asking about Alan was that Zoat figured out how to work Green Dragon into YJ, where Alan's ring is just a malfunctioning Oan ring according to word of Greg.

Ardy, nobodez, Prince Charon and 3 others like this.
  12. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

You know all the old Chinese men in the neighborhood play Mahjong together... of course he knows the dragons’ boss.

That myth busters test of the bull in a china shop “myth” is so inaccurate though. All those shelves have space between them for bulls to go. They’ve obviously never been to an actual china shop before. Everything is so cluttered together that it’s hard for a human to walk through without accidentally touching something. Also, they used a fairly tame bull, and not a wild/ angry one. In short, they lack both the bull and the china shop in that clip.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
    Vorian, Navi-Hank, DrThoth and 9 others like this.
  13. Sad Machine

Sad Machine Unshackled Unclaimed

Nah man I saw a bull and some china...seems legit here

14. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

But was there a shop?

15. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

Kind of like some of the better depictions of Superman, really - the smart thugs just surrender and stay polite, rather than shooting at him and then throwing the empty gun out of frustration, threatening hostages, or anything else that they think might make him stop being so nice.

16. Dur'id the Druid

Dur'id the Druid Know what you're doing yet?

Indeed, Orange lantern in this arc is really reminding me of this guy.

Ngamer11, zeebza, DAT_NOOB and 2 others like this.
  17. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

Actually, OL, what you're doing exactly is arresting them. Catching someone in the process of committing a crime and detaining them until law enforcement arrives is precisely the definition of a citizen's arrest. (Which doesn't actually require being a citizen; it's something of a quirk of historical terminology.)

18. Siskulous

Siskulous Know what you're doing yet?

People always seem to forget that show was entertainment first and foremost and that a lot of their methodology wouldn't even begin to fly in the world of professional science science. Just because the Mythbusters fail to replicate something does not mean that it's not possible. In fact, they've done multiple entire episodes about their own mistakes.

DAT_NOOB, Cuchulin and Navi-Hank like this.
  19. Mr Zoat

[​IMG]

20. PurpLexed

PurpLexed (The Girl(!) in the Snow)

I mean if these guys get rowdy hes about to break some chinese.

Buggy123 likes this.
  21. Massgamer

Massgamer Not too sore, are you?

I wonder how most of Gotham will take the super polite and OP superhero.

DAT_NOOB and Cuchulin like this.
  22. DAT_NOOB

If comic history is anything to go by an 'anti-Orange lantern' will show up to counterbalence him.

23. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

So what would that be like? If it’s similar to anti-green lanterns, will the ring give them constant pain and the motivation powering their orange would be taking the ring off?

Vorian, Cuchulin, Navi-Hank and 2 others like this.
  24. DAT_NOOB

A masochist gets the ring and gets punished for not following orders and 'punished' for following orders

25. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

An anti-orange ring?

If you ask me, an anti-orange ring would intentionally trigger an avarice feedback loop in the bearer. It would burn its own orange light charge in order to induce this, limiting its own capacity. The ring would then inform its bearer that normal orange rings are full of orange light that would empower them to keep going beyond just what the anti-orange ring's initial charge could sustain.

It is, then, an amusing coincidence that carrots are orange.

So basically, an Anti-Orange Lantern would be Ragnar before he met the SI, but artificially amplified up to Larfleeze levels.

WargWolf, Vorian, Terrence and 7 others like this.
  26. Threadmarks: Guys from Gotham (supplementary, Renegade option)
    Mr Zoat

2nd January 2005
    09:01 GMT -6

The United States Disciplinary Barracks in Fort Leavenworth is a formidable-looking structure. The brick and stone frontage, the bars on the windows and the armed guards all give the impression of an actual fort. What it is is the place where America puts the worst criminals in its armed services, one of whom has recently had his conviction quashed. Or the charges withdrawn; the American judicial system is largely opaque to me. But whatever, Guy Gardner 50 is getting out today and I thought that someone should be here.

While I'd rather be here openly, given that the offence which he is no longer considered guilty of is working for me I decided that that wasn't a good idea. So illusion charm it is.

Guy Gardner 16 shivers slightly in his all-enveloping long coat, hat tilted to obscure his face. We couldn’t risk him wearing his ring in case the locals spotted it, and as a result he's enduring the Kansas winter chill with only conventional warm clothing. He shuffles in place, looking around for something to distract him from how cold he feels. Then his eyes fix on something in the sky-.

SHADE agent and Stormwatch member Kara In-Ze drops out of the sky, hovering just in front of me.

"And why are you here?"

She's dressed for the weather, though I'm pretty sure that she wouldn't feel it either. Thickly woven jeans, a knitted jumper and a thick coat accessorised with a bobble hat. There's something about the whole getup that makes her look young and sweet. Younger and sweeter.

I smile. "Even though I wasn't the one who put him in here, he did end up here as a result of my actions. I feel obliged to give him the opportunity to have it out with me in person."

She lands, eyes downcast, shakes her head and then looks up at me. "I'm here for the same reason. I actually do know what it's like to have the whole country hate you and stuff you in prison for something you didn't do."

"Really? I only ever got locked up for something I did do. What did they get you for?"

"They put you in prison?"

"I put me in prison to make a point. I lured a mass-murdering wizard into an ambush and murdered him. You?"

She hesitates to respond. Fair enough, I'm certain that I'm not her favourite person in the world, but since she met my children and knows that I mostly kayfabed our original encounter… "When… When Kal-El was mind controlled by Darkseid, I caught up with him at a military base he was attacking. I tried to stop him… It didn't go too well. Then the army hit us both with a kryptonite missile Luthor gave them, and I woke up in a cell."

I frown. "Um. Why?"

"General Hardcastle."

"Look, few people have a lower opinion of the US legal system than me, but…" No, no. I can see the US panicking and putting someone in prison without anything approaching due process. And she wasn't that well known at the time. "Yeah, okay. How long were they planning on keeping you there?"

"Oh, not long. They were going to inject me with liquid kryptonite and kill me."

"What? That's a bit-." I frown. "Wait. Were they… Keeping you there with kryptonite, or red sunlight?"

"Red sunlight." She exhales faintly. "Okay, not.. 'sunlight'. Eight feet of concrete to keep out natural light and some red lamps to light my cell."

"Wasn't.. that the same setup that SHADE had in..?" She gives me a look that's.. surprisingly fragile. "Um. Would..? Would you punch me if I hugged you right now?"

Lantern Grayven, I've changed my mind. Just hand me over to Corporal Gardner when he emerges.

She frowns. "No, but only because heat vision is faster. Why are you.. doing this?"

I shrug. "I respect you. I think I'd come to like you if I got to know you properly. And I think-."

My Guy turns his head as the front gate of the prison opens and his doppelgänger exits, right hand holding the kit bag over his shoulder and left hand making rude gestures at the prison guards. My Guy becomes decidedly still as he looks at the living embodiment of how things might have gone. The other fellow takes a look around, his eyes stopping for a moment on the direction of the nearest bus terminal. Then he turns around, drops his pack and sticks both middle fingers up at the gate as it slams shut behind him.

Once he's sure that it's shut and that no one is watching him from the prison side he sags slightly, then bends down to pick up his pack. He takes a moment to make sure that it's properly secured and then starts walking.

"Excuse me, Mister Gardner?"

Kara steps forward, prompting Guy 50 to stop and warily try to work out who she is. The time of his release wasn't passed to the press so there isn't a crowd here waiting to barrage him with questions. I imagine that if there were he'd swiftly find himself saying something regrettable. And then I see the exact moment he works it out.

"What.. the.. fuck 're you doin' here?"

He sounds more bewildered than angry, but given his position I imagine that's a mood which could change very quickly.

"I wanted to apologise. Part of the evidence they used to put you in there was from my report, and… Now that I know why you opened the vault, I can see that I jumped to conclusions."

"Yeah." He nods. "Y' did. You an' everyone else. Fuck alla yah. Anything else?"

It's a sad day when a Guy-variant is so out of sorts that he doesn't bother hitting on a pretty blonde woman.

Kara folds her arms across her chest. "I'm also the reason why your release got expedited."

"Great, thanks, 'cause I've got so much t' be outside for." He turns his head to take in myself and his alter ego. "An' who're you supposed to be?"

"I'm the reason why you went into the vault in the first place." His fists clench instinctively. "I wanted to commend you for your initiative, apologise for my part in inspiring the Justice Department's latest bout of incompetence and offer compensation."

"You can't give me anything!"

"Oh, don't worry. I've made compensation payments to everyone else I injured during my attack as well. It won't look like I'm paying you for services rendered. But, if you really want, you can donate it all to charity or convert it to cash and burn it or… Whatever. Up to you."

"Wait… Were…" He looks from me to Kara and back again. "You two..?"

I shake my head. "No." / "God no."

I smile at Kara's response. "We just saved the world from a parallel universe version of me. Well, I did; Kara had a brief holiday on Thanagar." That earns me a short-lived scowl. She was actually rather busy with the gordanian military until the boom tube opened to bring her back. "So that earned me a reprieve, though unlike you I actually did all the stuff I've been accused of."

"Oh yeah?" He looks at Guy 16. "And who are you? My asshole CO here to apologise too?"

"No." Guy takes off his hat and turns down his collar. "I'm a guy who knows exactly what it's like t' be you."

"The fuck..?"

"I'm a parallel universe you. Only difference is, I had slightly better luck. Got my own power ring. Might even join the Justice League one a' these days. So unlike these two I get alla the crap you went through getting' here. An' maybe I'm the only one you might actually talk to about it. 'Cause I've been where you are. I've been that angry an' I did a whole bunch a' stupid shit." He turns away. "C'm on. Bar's this way, you ain't got nowhere better to be an' Grayven's buying."

Guy 50 looks around in a slight daze, then throws his arms up.

"Fuck it. Why not?"

Last edited: Oct 11, 2019
  27. thebishop8

thebishop8 Umm, ackchyually...

I think "met" should be "meet with". Or maybe change it from

"but since the met my children"

to

"but since she met my children"

Also, Guy wouldn't happen to be from Gotham, would he?

28. Someguy Somewhere

Someguy Somewhere The Critical Fumbler

I think Zoat's about the only person to ever write a version (or three) of Guy that I'd actually sit down and have a beer with.

29. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Oh-ho. fallout from last episode? Yes please.

Ooh. This is going to be awkward.

Heh, cross-time capers are always fun...

She's still a teenager, isn't she? At least, not yet in her twenties?

Tarred with the same brush as Kal-El, wasn't she? Even saving the world multiple times since isn't helping overcome that...

Let's not mention that he was a teenage boy... Or at least looked like one.

Oh, him. Guy's a dick in every universe, isn't he?

Oh, well, that's... Wait what?
    (Also: 'well known at')

Not the worst conditions DC's shown in its comics. Flashpoint Kal-El, for one.

Ah, Ring-nestro. No tolerance for sappiness, eh?

"Nothing romantic, mind. Just friends."

He may talk a big game, but kinda beaten down, isn't he.

No punching, please. You'll just break your hand...

Indeed. It's so out of character...

Hey, no punching!

How magnanimous. Grayven knows how to make amends for his fuck-ups, doesn't he?

I can just picture her nauseated face.

Pun not intended, I hope, but Guy's sense of humour would make it reflexive...:D

Guy-16 knows what Guy 50 needs right now. And it ain't nice words.

Yep, that's about the only reasonable response. This shit is too crazy, get drunk.

Yeah, I think Guy 50's gonna be alright, with a little help. Maybe Kara can arrange for him to work as support staff for Stormwatch?

30. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    No.
    I think early twenties?
    Thank you, corrected.