1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

XF2 upgrade

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Bugs' started by Walkir, Oct 9, 2019.

1. Walkir

Walkir Super Happy Awesome Fun Time On Vacation

Considering the SB upgrade is imminent and support ended in June, will end on New Year's eve for security issues, is there an upgrade planned already?

Yes, the optics sucks, but what can you do. Unsupported software shouldn't be an option.

Nicator, Mentos, Gray Walker and 2 others like this.
  2. alethiophile

alethiophile Shadowed Philosopher Administrator

An upgrade is planned, in the weak sense of "I intend to do it". Specifics as to procedure or timeframe are not yet known. Within six months at most.

Ddmkm122, january1may, Nawaf and 10 others like this.
  3. crazyfoxdemon

crazyfoxdemon He Who Laughed Last

*Looks upon XF2 with dread*

4. Psyga315

Psyga315 Well worn.

It is inevitable, Mr. CrazyFoxDemon.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  5. Walkir

I just hope QQ ships with the Xenforo default theme activated.
    Can't even choose that on SB. Today may just have become my last day on SB. Real pity, but I always get a headache from those dark themes. Logged in once today to notice, and haven't since. A few automatic misclicks on tabs aside. Damn muscle memory.

Ddmkm122 and january1may like this.
  6. alethiophile

There's currently the "SpaceBattles -- Light" theme enabled there. Dunno if that would work for you.

In any event, when we upgrade here we will definitely have both light and dark themes available.

Some_Dick, Ddmkm122, Nawaf and 4 others like this.
  7. Walkir

Thanks, but I tested both on the test site, light hurts less. Told in the feedback thread I can't test, got ignored. Which is understandable, >>>>99% are happy with the look and it's just optics.
    But then they left it out of the live build.... which, for the default theme, requires active work. At that point, it's not a work saving effort anymore, but "enemy action". Malice? Looking for a good word here.^

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  8. crazyfoxdemon

crazyfoxdemon He Who Laughed Last

I know... I just really hate the interface on mobile, which where I do a majority of my browsing.

Ddmkm122, MHLord and ExquisiteTopHat like this.
  9. Mana_Knight_Jorin

Mana_Knight_Jorin The Mana Knight

The moment this place goes XenForo 2 I'm outta here, and not coming back ever.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  10. alethiophile

Before a full upgrade we'll do at least one trial run, and open for comments on what should be changed. Hopefully we can avoid some of the annoyances that have hit SB/SV.

Vorian and Ddmkm122 like this.
  11. Mana_Knight_Jorin

Mana_Knight_Jorin The Mana Knight

The only way to avoid the horror of Xen2 is to rip the code for Xen1 and Xen2 apart, make the "good stuff" from Xen1 such as look/feel/formatting/GUI/etc. combine with Xen2, and create XenForo 3. That's the only way. Xen2 is a failure that can be pit up on the shelf along with Windows Vista and the first Windows 8 as an example of what not to do.

12. chrnno

chrnno Time Traveller

Yeah, should be able to draw from their experience and fixes to make transition a lot better. Besides the outright broken things it also is the weirdest things that come up, for instance SB's watched threads neon green 'checkboxes' just make me wonder why would you even. :confused:

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  13. Nekraa

Nekraa Nekraa Moderator

So that you can:

• Enable OP email notification
    • Enable email notification
    • Disable email notification
    • Stop watching

several thread at once. Though, I don't really see that as useful.

Ddmkm122 and Walkir like this.
  14. UrsaTempest

UrsaTempest Yuri Fanatic, Archivist

Basically, by default XF2 throw you to something like 'All Watched Thread' option in XF1, like so:

[​IMG]

Ddmkm122, Walkir and 1986ctcel like this.
  15. chrnno

chrnno Time Traveller

You missed the point, I was talking about it being neon green(seriously it is a full square of this colour) and not looking slightest like a checkbox.

Though the image above explains it since it is the same except for colour(and location), which is kinda weird because my checkboxes in QQ look like actual checkboxes not whatev... Wait I remember that is how it looks in mobile so I guess that is also answered.

Ddmkm122 and AztecCroc like this.
  16. Plotvitalnpc

Plotvitalnpc Personification Personified

My one fear regarding XF2 is that the weird glitch that lets my gif avatar (and those of others) play on my profile and in the popup mini-profile will get expunged here just like it has on SB and SV

xThomas3, Ddmkm122 and january1may like this.
  17. rkyeun

rkyeun Cabbitus Maximus

My prayer is that you will be able to stop XF2 from emojifying base ascii symbols.

If I come back later and those are black and red, shit's fucked.
    Edit: Now with plain tags.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
    Ddmkm122 and Walkir like this.
  18. tilkau

tilkau Not too sore, are you?

Nice trick with the color formatting. Those are Unicode (U+2060..U+2063), not ASCII, though.

RavenWolffe77 and Ddmkm122 like this.
  19. rkyeun

rkyeun Cabbitus Maximus

How's this, then? It's not like I can control how the internet translates EOT, ETX, ENQ, and ACK, any more than I can stop Xenforo from turning it into emojis.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2020
    Ddmkm122 likes this.
  20. daimahou

daimahou Gentleman Tentacle(s)

I hope when the upgrade happens the rubytext stays the same, meaning we can change the font size...

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  21. tilkau

tilkau Not too sore, are you?

That's the same. You're entering those codes (presumably via Alt+3 and so on), they are translated by your particular ASCII codepage into the card suit characters [1], those characters are translated by your browser into UTF-8 (Because that is what QQ states it is encoded in). QQ only sees ASCII insofar as the encoding of ASCII overlaps with UTF8 (which is basically the set 'a-zA-Z0-9!@#$%^&*()[]{};:'",.<>/?|\', plus the control codes). In UTF, control codes like EOT are classified as nonprinting and therefore cannot have *any* graphical representation. That's why the codepage translation produces U+2660..U+2663 when you attempt to enter those control codes into a UTF8 webpage, it presumes that you want particular glyphs, not the control codes themselves.

[1] In other codepages they have other graphical representations, or no graphic at all. That's part of the reason that I was saying that wasn't ASCII, the control codes that you are equating to the card suits do exist in generalized "ASCII", but they have no particular defined graphical representation.

Ddmkm122, macdjord and daimahou like this.
  22. a guy1013

a guy1013 Versed in the lewd.

the only thing i fear is getting log out and forgetting my password

Ddmkm122 and wayne82444 like this.
  23. rkyeun

rkyeun Cabbitus Maximus

Good to know. So the point is, if I can't make card suit symbols be a particular color, and stay the same damn size as the text it's in, because XF2 wants to make emojis of them, then it will break a lot of formatting for something I was hoping to start writing, and I would be sad and grumpy. But at least QQ doesn't have an image limit, so worse comes to worst, I can just create images of the symbols I want and try to fit them in a line of text.

xThomas3 and Ddmkm122 like this.
  24. MissileTeatime

MissileTeatime By the power of Vaporware!

...Is there something I'm missing that means you can't just use the Unicode "card suit character" code points, and color them the same way as you would regular text?

This page seems to indicate that there are two complete sets of Unicode card suit characters, half of which emojify. My impression from searching the Unicode site is that emoji happened since 2009, and at least some contributors wouldn't be entirely pleased about it. (Based on discussion of color as related to card suit characters that I found.)

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  25. rkyeun

rkyeun Cabbitus Maximus

That page is partially true.
    There are two sets of suits. Solid, and hollow. The solids are named Black <suit> Suit. The hollows are named White <suit> Suit.
    ♠ ♤ ♥ ♡ ♣ ♧ ♦ ♢
    You can color them with the color tool however you like.
    ♠ ♤ ♥ ♡ ♣ ♧ ♦ ♢
    However, if your forum software decides to emojify them for you, you no longer have the option of setting the colors on the solids.
    They will appear as they do on that page.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    You can't make a purple solid spade, or a blue solid diamond, or a green solid club. The emojified symbol will ignore formatting such as size and color.
    This means I can't for example have a neat status bar: HP: ♥♡♡ for Link, because it will turn into [​IMG]♡♡. Blargh.
    Of course, worse is the mana. MP: ♦♦♦♢♢♢♢ becomes [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]♢♢♢♢.
    And if you were doing anything fancy with those symbols, like I was doing with Kingdom Sparks before SV went XF2...
    Name: Heather Bowen (Lv2): ([​IMG])([​IMG][​IMG])
    Vitals: (Base)+(Rank)+(Soul)
    Attack (4k1): (✦)+(○)+(♡)() ⇒ (○)(♡)()(✦)

Defense (6k3): (✦)+(○)(✦)(✦)+(♡)() ⇒ (○)(♡)()(✦)(✦)(✦)
    Health (7k5): (✦)(✦)(✦)+(✦)(✦)+(♡)()(♡)()(✦)(✦)(✦)(✦)(✦)
    Stats: (Base)+(Rank)+(Soul)
    Focus (6k2): (★)+(○)(○)(★)+(♡)() ⇒ (○)(○)(♡)()(★)(★)

Memory (4k3): ([​IMG])+([​IMG])+(♡)([​IMG][​IMG])(♡)([​IMG])([​IMG])([​IMG][​IMG])
    Prowess (6k2): ([​IMG])+(○)(○)([​IMG])+(♡)() ⇒ (○)(○)(♡)()([​IMG])([​IMG])
    Speed (8k5): ([​IMG])+(○)(○)(○)([​IMG])([​IMG])+([​IMG])([​IMG][​IMG]) ⇒ (○)(○)(○)([​IMG])([​IMG])([​IMG])([​IMG])([​IMG][​IMG])
    Vigor (8k3): ([​IMG])+(○)(○)(○)([​IMG])([​IMG])+(♡)() ⇒ (○)(○)(○)(♡)()([​IMG])([​IMG])([​IMG])
    Skills: (Base)+(Rank)+(Soul)
    Diplomacy (4k3): ([​IMG])+([​IMG])+(♡)([​IMG][​IMG])(♡)([​IMG])([​IMG])([​IMG][​IMG])

Intrigue (6k4): ([​IMG])+([​IMG])([​IMG])([​IMG])+(♡)()(♡)()([​IMG])([​IMG])([​IMG])([​IMG])
    Subtlety (5k3): ([​IMG][​IMG])+(○)([​IMG][​IMG])+(♡)([​IMG][​IMG]) ⇒ (○)(♡)([​IMG][​IMG])([​IMG][​IMG])([​IMG][​IMG])
    Creativity (5k5): ([​IMG][​IMG])+([​IMG])([​IMG][​IMG])+([​IMG])([​IMG][​IMG])([​IMG])([​IMG])([​IMG][​IMG])([​IMG][​IMG])([​IMG][​IMG])
    Survival (7k3): ([​IMG][​IMG])+(○)(○)([​IMG])([​IMG][​IMG])+(♡)() ⇒ (○)(○)(♡)()([​IMG])([​IMG][​IMG])([​IMG][​IMG])
    Subdual (4k4): ([​IMG][​IMG])+([​IMG][​IMG])+([​IMG])([​IMG][​IMG])([​IMG])([​IMG][​IMG])([​IMG][​IMG])([​IMG][​IMG])
    Inspiration (4k4): ([​IMG])+([​IMG])+([​IMG])([​IMG][​IMG])([​IMG])([​IMG])([​IMG])([​IMG][​IMG])
    Fitness (4k4): ([​IMG][​IMG])+([​IMG][​IMG])+([​IMG])([​IMG][​IMG])([​IMG])([​IMG][​IMG])([​IMG][​IMG])([​IMG][​IMG])
    Recovery (6k3): ([​IMG])+(○)([​IMG])([​IMG])+(♡)() ⇒ (○)(♡)()([​IMG])([​IMG])([​IMG])
    Adaptation (5k4): ([​IMG][​IMG])+([​IMG])([​IMG])+(♡)([​IMG][​IMG])(♡)([​IMG])([​IMG])([​IMG][​IMG])([​IMG][​IMG])
    It's all ruined. Everywhere in the quest I used the symbol, it exploded and fucked me.
    Fuck emojification. It should require [emoji][/emoji] tags or allow [plain][/plain] tags to turn it off. Something.
    Edit: It does. Plain tags work.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
    xThomas3, Ddmkm122 and wasprider like this.
  26. CrossyCross

CrossyCross LADY OF LOVE

For some reason, writing
    Code:
    x3
    now turns into a fucking smiley.

This is annoying because I use that in stuff like "x3 multiple shots"

This is fucking dumb. I hate smileys.

Ddmkm122, wayne82444 and Walkir like this.
  27. Nekraa

Nekraa Nekraa Moderator

I guess you'll have to use the [plain] tag to write x3 without getting an emoji?

28. rkyeun

rkyeun Cabbitus Maximus

Oh thank fuck, I just tried out the plain tag on the solid card suits on XF2 and it does stop emojification of that too.
    Thank you Nekraa. It won't save past work because I can't go through and redo them all, but going forwards I can futureproof against XF2.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
  29. rkyeun

rkyeun Cabbitus Maximus

macdjord likes this.
  30. Psyga315

Psyga315 Well worn.

Is this implying that the update is happening soon or is this a post lampshading how late the post is?