1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Shotiegun11

Shotiegun11 Know what you're doing yet?

The SI will helpfully point out a mystical element of ‘unknown’ origin on a clothing brand and it will be shutdown HARD. The government would slam that down so fast. The Light would tip their hand about what influence they had in a company.

Plus, unless it was designed to completely protect a person from scrutiny, a shirt or pants would block a scan of the exposed head/hands.

edit: the missiles were protected because the casing, where the scry ward was, surrounded the missile.

2. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Except precedent was already set by the mass produced paperwork with the scry ward on it.

IsActuallyBatman likes this.
  3. Shotiegun11

Shotiegun11 Know what you're doing yet?

Government wasn't/still isn't aware of that. The SI could easily cause a public outcry by mentioning a clothing brand is using magic on their customers. Which they are by selling them magic (scry warded) clothing without informing the customers.

4. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

The government that's using it totally wasn't aware of it.

Suuuuuuure. ;)

Gantradies and dogbertcarroll like this.
  5. Quantum

Quantum I trust you know where the happy button is?

I'm only here to see where he jumps out next

6. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

Pay no attention to the bot behind the curtain.

He doesn't have problems with balancing cross-motivations, because he always understands what his desires are. That doesn't mean he always has the emotional fortitude to force himself into the right mindset to make an orange ring work.

7. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

What you all forget is that Batman has a genuine OP superpower: the ability to make Bat Deductions. He is literally never wrong.

dogbertcarroll and Cuchulin like this.
  8. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

Counterpoint he was wrong when he thought Jason Todd was dead.

But yeah I get your point

Cuchulin likes this.
  9. Threadmarks: Guys from Gotham (part 17)
    Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

17th February
    01:30 GMT -5

"Orange Lantern to Robin. In position."

I look around. He's either not here yet or has already left. Off-duty police officers are already being called in to deal with the situation throughout the city, but I'm not a priority. Which is fair enough; the stuff in here isn't easily weaponisable and no one is in danger. It'll probably be morning before a proper search can take place.

"So you're sure nothing was missing?"

"Nothing in the main warehouse. There might have been smaller items that I didn't get around to looking at."

Apophenia is seeing patterns where none exist. I don't remember the man's name, but I think it was the writer of Invincible who said… Something like… That while for a super powered criminal committing a crime their encounter with a superhero will be the most important thing that happens to them on that day, for the hero it's an annoying distraction from what it was that they wanted to be doing instead. If it's your city to protect and things start blowing up, you turn up and sort it out. But while it looks like a lot of similar things happening from your point of view, in reality-hello.

Part of the wall now has an empathic glow. Not a.. big part, but it's growing-.

Mud.

Ring, current location of Matthew Hagen?

Given Mr Hagen's nature, neither metahuman suppression collars or binding chains would work on him, so he's mostly kept separate from Belle Reve's other prisoners. His H-dial use is carefully monitored, but with a degree of humanity restored and Ted's research team in daily contact he hasn't demonstrated any sort of desire to act out.

Matthew Hagen remains in Belle Reve.

And I know that Ra's didn't like other people having access to Lazarus Pits. No League of Shadows member has reported anything like 'Clayface' being used by the organisation before, and Talia didn't know exactly what would happen. As far as I know, the only other person who knows how to make them is Nyssa, though I suppose there's no particular reason why Ra's couldn't have had other children before her who were also in on the secret.

Or this could be some sort of elemental… No, that would have made the rune stone light up. A mud person from some other source, or someone might have discovered the Lazarus process independently… I'll have to ask.

The area displaying an empathic resonance is creeping forward. Not as much of a resonance as a living person usually displays, though I don't have a great deal of experience in using this ability on a distributed intelligence. Or however clay people function. I deliberately turn away, looking around the area while directing the wraith to approach it from behind. I don't know how stretched it is, though I can probably grab it fast enough to stop it getting away.

Or… I know roughly what Mr Hagen's maximum speed is. I could just grab it along with the building around it and then just rebuild it afterwards. Or leave that for the locals. They have a supervillain civil repairs budget-. No, no. The best way to handle this is a civil conversation, but since I strongly doubt that whoever this is will listen and respond sensibly I'll let them get more of their bulk out before making a grab. I don't know exactly how much of their body needs to be in a place before that becomes the 'main' part and I don't want any disassociation incidents.

Master.

The wraith is behind an object doing an impression of a cleaning cart, the presence of a mortal soul clearly visible to its arcane senses. The clay person's arcane feel is off enough that the wraith's usual desire to consume appears to have been suppressed. Course plotted…

I turn to face the clay patch.

"Charlie, can we talk about this?"

It doesn't stop moving, but it does slow ever so slightly.

"Once I found out that you weren't who you claimed to be, there was basically no way for you to escape. Good work mimicking the cleaning trolley; Matthew Hagen still struggles to maintain the form of other objects for any length of time."

Now it stops.

"Look, I don't.. really derive any satisfaction from violence. Certainly not for its own sake. You've been spotted. Unless you've got a lot of additional abilities compared with the other clay person I've met, there's no way for you to escape. Please, surrender. If you're having a problem of some sort, I can help. We can help. If someone has some sort of hold on-."

And it's pulling back and go go go!

I thrust down the corridor, construct grabber already in motion as the main mass leaps towards the vents in the ceiling! There's a brown smear as I cut the clay mass in… Half? Maybe? I seal the struggling mass in a construct sphere even as I run a construct up into the ventilation system after it, passing by the squirming mass and sealing it in. Good work, me.

"Orange Lantern to Robin. It was another clay person. I have them contained. Please ask Batwoman if she's ever heard of such a thing during your next scheduled contact."

"Will do. You think they came from the same place?"

"I don't want to assume-" I'm not detecting any Lazarus chemicals, but I don't detect them in Mr Hagen either. "-but that's the first thing I'd check."

"Are you going to stick around there?"

"I kind of have to, now. Fortunately, they were a good deal more talkative than Mister Hagen when he first put in an appearance, so hopefully they won't mind having a conversation. Otherwise, now that Belle Reve knows how to contain a clay person I can drop them off there."

"On what charge?"

"Trespass. And it'll only be until we can calm things down enough to actually do an investigation and find out what happened to Mister Adelsen."

"Okay, I'll talk to Waller. You try getting something out of whoever they are."

"Will do. Orange Lantern out."

I pull the mud out of the ventilation shaft with an airtight shield and add it to the main ball, then create speaker constructs on the inside.

"I'm afraid that the police are a little busy at the moment. Could I persuade you to talk to me?"

The pressure on the interior surface of my construct decreases slightly, and a pair of glowing red eye holes appear.

"Can you actually talk like that?"

The eyes just stare for a moment, then a vague face appears in the mud around them. Still somewhat dim, emotion-wise. In fact, looking a little closer…

I don't.. think that's a person. Which means that this is either automated somehow, or… Or it voluntarily split itself and the intelligent part is somewhere else. Does it need the rest of its mass? Is it stuck at one size, or can it just absorb more mud? Mr Hagen wasn't terribly clear, Waller hasn't wanted to give him ideas by letting him practise and I haven't wanted to push it because he already suffers from mild alien body syndrome and I haven't wanted to make it worse.

But… The orange light does show some images, weak and pale imitations of what the full mind would show. And while the wards on this building are blocking my vision, if the rest of the mud person wants to escape they're going to have to leave that effect area. Alternatively, I could turn up my vision power all the way and try and burn out the wards. They're probably quite weak. I can't see Gotham splashing out on a high-tier magician after all; it's probably the default warding sigil etched onto light switches or something.

No. No.

I fly up and out of the building, gaining enough height that I can see around it easily. Then I wait and watch.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2019
  10. DeathlessProficiency

DeathlessProficiency Know what you're doing yet?

Charlie is a little muddy rascal. How dare he muddy OL’s excellent investigation-in-progress. I hope he cleans his act up in this arc.

11. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

Those are terrible, have a Like.

12. Buggy123

Buggy123 I trust you know where the happy button is?

Should be "collars or binding" not "of".

edit: also

Should be "form of" not "for of".

13. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Seriously, Batman leaves town for a few hours, all hell breaks loose. Gotham City, everybody!

"The day I graced your little village was the greatest day of your little life. But for me... It was Tuesday."

Oh, goddammit, another Clayface?

So, Basil Karlo, Preston Payne... Sondra Fuller has Kobra ties... So many Clays to pick from... Assuming that's even what this is.

An Earth-aligned metahuman, perhaps?

Ah, still hoping that rational discourse can settle things. Never change, OL.

"You're nicked, mate. Give it up."

Huh, someone better at being Clayface than the first one.
    Correction: 'the form of'

Well, so much for being reasonable. They always try to run...

I doubt Talia would know much about this... Especially if he/she/they was created after the Shadows' destruction.

Unless you want this guy running off...

Still hoping he turns up okay, eh?

Full recording, of course.

Oh, dear...

Ugh, the joy of barely understood abilities.
    Correction: 'voluntarily split itself'

OL... Expediency does not outweigh respectability..

Presumably you're also scanning underground routes.

Welp, that was peculiar. Let's hope this gets straightened out quickly, for the sake of OL's patience.

14. Someguy Somewhere

Someguy Somewhere The Critical Fumbler

In the batman part of the DCAU, Clayface once spawned a 'scout' that became an independent intellect, taking the form of a little girl named Annie. Robin (Tim) ran into her wandering around. Actually one of the better episodes for drama and emotion, as she wants to live, and clayface wants to reabsorb her, with robin nearly snapping at the end.

If this is some other form of clay person scout, there might be something to ask the big dirt clod about.

15. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

16. Cuchulin

Cuchulin Versed in the lewd.

This new Clayface better hope OL doesn't start channeling Sam Vimes.

ChestBurster, Vorian and BR549 like this.
  17. Sockmonkey

Sockmonkey I trust you know where the happy button is?

I noticed that too. OL just seems a bit off.

18. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

becomes

19. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

Then inform the customers. If you’re a villain, create a problem: say, sell a few pairs of mail order magic x-ray glasses / shades that let people see through clothes (and maybe walls?). Shouldn’t be too hard to make, and would be a genuinely popular product with mass market appeal. Maybe just sell the instructions to make something like that from everyday materials, if you want to be lazy. Nothing illegal about selling those. Or just put them on the internet. Now, putting wards on walls is probably a bit too expensive for most organizations. So, how are women supposed to prevent peeping toms? By buying Scry warded clothes that prevent such devices from working. Or, if you want to use a shadier solution, buy magic ward stickers. Create a market as part of your evil plan.
    Man, I think I’ve seen parts of this plot before?
    Seriously though, it’s an incredibly underregulated market with a lot of potentially unique products. Why aren’t shady companies getting in on the magic revolution?

Last edited: Oct 23, 2019
  20. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Zoat might be taking inspiration from Cassius Payne, son of Clayfaces whose parts when separated become independent, and can even merge with people like a muddy Venom like Claything.

In Gotham Academy, Annie would have a cousin, Katherine Karlo. She pretended to be her roommate to go home for the holidays, she came back with a goldfish bowl to sleep in.

21. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

Bramble Thorn likes this.
  22. Mr Zoat

Regarding tomorrow's segment, I have checked it with the mods and got the okay, but I will remind you that discussing modern politics is still against the rules. Discussing historical politics is of course fine.

23. Sceptic

Sceptic Critical Irrationalist

Hear that, everyone? Rant in a Napoleonic context for the next bit.

24. DeathlessProficiency

DeathlessProficiency Know what you're doing yet?

Oh we out here checking with mods beforehand now. Mm. Okay, I see you OP.

Who says they can’t teach an old Zoat new tricks.

Buggy123, Navi-Hank, Caerwen and 6 others like this.
  25. Bramble Thorn

Bramble Thorn Verified Silhouette

So, does this mean we should be playing a round of "Guess the Hot Potato" to see if anyone can figure out exactly what the issue is in the next chapter is a potential Rule 8 topic?

Only one guess allowed per person allowed.
    I'm going to go ahead and guess that is has to do with the new Clayfaces gender identity.
    You know, for the extra Irony points if that ends up being what it is.

Will OL misgender the New!Clayface due to the nonstandard morphology, and any sexual organs being as malleable as clay, and variable between male, female, both, neither, and 'what is this I don't even' at any given moment? What happens if OL guesses incorrectly and uses the wrong pronoun?

Find out next chapter. Same Lantern Time, same Lantern Forum! (Well, fingers crossed about the same Lantern Forum part...)

Navi-Hank, Vorian and Ardy like this.
  26. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

He already posted the chapter in his "rule 8 question" thread.

Navi-Hank likes this.
  27. Sceptic

Sceptic Critical Irrationalist

Enforced by the mods threadbanning everyone for rule 8 violations?

Bramble Thorn, Mr Zoat and Ardy like this.
  28. Queshire

Queshire Not too sore, are you?

Quick question; uhhhh... How exactly is this supposed to be a good idea in any way, shape or form?

Vorian, Ardy, Lord Ernest and 2 others like this.
  29. Threadmarks: Guys from Gotham (supplementary, Renegade option)
    Mr Zoat

16th February
    22:30 GMT -8

I lean back in my chair slightly, giving every sign that I'm giving the question the consideration it deserves. Despite the fact that I've obviously prepared for something like that coming up, and the fact that the questioner is far less aggressive about it than Sunset was.

"No, I'm not a member of the National Firearms Organization. I don't think that -as a foreigner- it's appropriate for me to involve myself directly in American politics. My discussions with President Horne have touched on the area of armaments, but only in relation to military and paramilitary policy. My.. understanding of the President's position is that his stated position -that he's in favour of restrictions for practical reasons but doesn't think that they're constitutional at the Federal level- is.. his.. actual position and I can't think of any obvious reason for him to change it if he were re-elected."

The richly bearded man who asked the question looks mildly disgruntled.

"I mean… I'm sure that Jon Horne has done a lot of things that people around here don't like, but he doesn't mislead people about his policy objectives. He'd have a far easier time of it professionally if he did."

There's a small laugh, but gun control is an extremely partisan issue in this part of the country and they want a lot more than that. Horne really isn't winning here, and I'm honestly not sure that he's trying. And with anyone else I'd say that was strategy but with him..? The Source alone knows.

Though what happened is classic Jon Horne: he effectively stated outright that he wouldn't sign any gun control Bills and yet he sounds so hostile to private gun ownership that hardly anyone in the pro-gun lobby heard him do it and he's gotten absolutely no credit for it. Honestly, hand the man a shoo-in election and he manages to turn it into an actual fight. Even with an opponent who knows that it would be electoral suicide to attack him directly. It's the acme of anti-skill.

And objectively, Senator Knight is making a worse case. He hasn't promised not to sign new Bills and despite what the people answering opinion polls seem to think he certainly hasn't said anything about repealing existing Federal restrictions. But he's making nicer noises and shaking hands publically with arms manufacturers and advertising in the right places because he actually knows how to-.

No, it isn't that. Horne knows how to run that sort of campaign; he just doesn't want to. And so he isn't. I like the man, but sometimes…

"Now, personally, I've gotten access to a whole arsenal of alien weapons, as well as all of the weird supervillain stuff that a man in my profession runs into from time to time. But in terms of human weapons… Well…"

I hold up my right hand and take my M134 out of subspace.

"I'll admit that I've taken this out on the range a few times and shot a few targets to splinters. I'm heavy enough and strong enough that I can keep it on target without much difficulty and… I didn't have much contact with explosive-kinetic weapons until I came to Earth and they're.. kind of viscerally satisfying in a way that lasers and plasma weapons aren't."

And that's true, but the flipping rifle rounds it fires aren't going to do a thing to anything I'm going to fight. And since Jon will complain if I tell a direct lie I'll tell the man asking the question that if he directly asks… But I'm hoping that he won't.

I return the gun to subspace.

"How about your kids?"

"My eldest -Lynne- has access to my arsenal. She was taught how to use low calibre pistols before we first met, and I've made sure that she knows how to use some of the more accessible energy weapons. She's not a particularly large girl, and I don't think she's going to be using my guns for a few years yet. My younger children share a.. medical difficulty which means that I'm holding back on teaching them to fight."

And honestly, I think they'll be focusing on magic combat rather than gun fighting.

"But we all live in a fortified mountain surrounded by telepathic guards. We don’t exactly have to worry about home-invaders, and last time someone went after one of my children I decapitated their country's government."

That gets an approving nod.

"Did you own a gun back on… Er… Apocalypse?"

The moderator frowns slightly at one man monopolising the microphone, but I'm pretty sure that it's the sort of thing that everyone wants to know and I'm not keen on using debate procedure to refuse to answer civil questions.

Instead, I smile. "Oh yes, definitely."

"Is that.. normal?"

"Ah…" Why is he asking about Apokolips? "Everyone who can get their hands on a gun gets one. Except Father, who has eye beams which make Superman's look like pea shooters and so doesn't need one."

I lean forwards slightly.

"But the difference between America and Apokolips is that you're a constitutional democracy while Apokolips is a totalitarian visocracy. You're an American Citizen; most Apokoliptians are literally called Lowlies. Citizenship comes with rights and responsibilities as part and parcel of the arrangement. On Apokolips, nothing like that exists. There's order because my grandfather.. and after him my father, are so much stronger than everyone else that they can enforce it, not because there's any sort of agreement between the people who make up the society."

"In America, you have constitutions and laws, and mechanisms for enforcing and changing them. On Apokolips, people issue orders and if they're strong enough to enforce obedience then they'll be obeyed. If someone gets a gun and is strong enough to hold onto it when someone above them tells them they shouldn't, then they'll probably get a promotion. If someone above them even bothers to notice. And then? They behave exactly as the person they replaced did, except maybe a little less complacently."

The man nods. "So how d'you think a citizen in a democracy should learn to fire a gun?"

"Guns… Well, any weapon, but we're.. talking about guns here. So it's not that I think a person should be prohibited by law from giving a five year old a magnum at a shooting range… I just think that a responsible citizen should realise that that's a dumb thing to do and not do it. Guns are implements for hurting and killing, and that's the context in which they should be presented. Whenever I see a picture in a gun magazine of a woman posing with an AK Forty Seven while wearing a bikini I think that's a person who doesn't take the weapon they're carrying as seriously as they should."

"If you live in a rural environment, take your children out hunting with you a few times. Let them see what your rifle rounds do to the animals you shoot before you let them touch the thing. Make it very clear what the result of pulling the trigger with something or someone at the other end is. And if you know someone who spent some time in the military and has a story or two about someone who made an unfortunate mistake, make sure they share it. And when you're sure they're not going to do something stupid, then supervise them practising with it before you take them out hunting with it."

"And if you live in an urban environment, try talking to the local police because I'm sure that they'd love to share some images of gunshot injuries to help you impress upon your children the seriousness of picking up a gun. If you're having one in the house, make sure that they see those before they get the stupid idea that guns are cool toys into their heads and decide to play with one."

"Guns are tools for killing, and even when that killing is necessary or good should always be treated seriously."

The man asking the questions sits back, nodding in approval. I'm just glad he didn't ask whether Jon's children were taught how to use guns.

The moderator nods to one of the sound engineers. "Boy on the right there."

I relax a little. While children are perfectly capable of wrong-footing even the most seasoned political professional, the chance of the question actually being-.

The boy -who can't be more than ten- looks at me like I just ran over his puppy. And he decided that I'm going to spend the rest of my life paying for it.

"I have a question about Mister Grayven's relationship with the Chinese government."

Oh shit.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2019
  30. Ganurath

Ganurath Apologizes For Nothing

Grayven. Dude. That was basically an open invitation for Murphy.