1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Buggy123

Buggy123 I trust you know where the happy button is?

*distant moderator groans of pain*

2. kedgisgo

kedgisgo Semi-Professional Lurker

Oh holy mother of fuck, let it not be said that children cant hurt you.
    Whatever agenda Grayven had at this Q&A session just got totally demolished. Every media outlet on the planet is going to be writing bout this and making discussion pieces, social media is going to fucking flip its lid, if Grayven has a twitter; it is now on fire.

Well done, Small Child, well done.

3. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

What is a visocracy?

4. thebishop8

thebishop8 Umm, ackchyually...

*targets

Should that be "prohibited by law from giving"?

He's not speaking here, so unnecessary end quotation mark. Maybe that should also be "And he has decided"

Last edited: Oct 24, 2019
  5. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.
    Rule by the strong.

6. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

Is there a particular reason you've capitalized "Bills" here? I've only ever seen that done in certain legalese documents where the language got fossilized in the 1700s.

Comma should be semicolon

"Guns are tools for killing and, even when that killing is necessary or good, should always be treated seriously."
    Or alternatively,
    "Guns are tools for killing, and even when that killing is necessary or good they should always be treated seriously."

(*removes ninja'ed edits*)

7. thebishop8

thebishop8 Umm, ackchyually...

Found more:

Should that be "giving the question the consideration it deserves."?

Should that be "classic Jon Horne:"?

ChestBurster, Ardy, Mr Zoat and 2 others like this.
  8. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

The mods here tend to be both reasonable and responsive, unlike those on sb / sv. At least one of them seems to be a fan of WTR, judging by comments he’s made. Don’t think the people on SB / SV would have approved a potential chapter on principle.

ChestBurster, Ardy, Chaoswind and 3 others like this.
  9. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

God save our gracious
    Queen!
    Long live our noble Queen!
    God save the Queen!
    Send her victorious,
    Happy and glorious,
    Long to reign over us:
    God save the Queen!

O Lord our God arise,
    Scatter her enemies,
    And make them fall:
    Confound their politics,
    Frustrate their knavish tricks,
    On Thee our hopes we fix:
    God save us all.

Thy choicest gifts in store,
    On her be pleased to pour;
    Long may she reign:
    May she defend our laws,
    And ever give us cause,
    To sing with heart and voice,
    God save the Queen!

Thank you, corrected.
    No, I think that's fine.
    Thank you, corrected.

10. TheEyes

TheEyes Well worn.

Could someone explain, for those with Swiss cheese for memories, what this is about? I vaguely recall Grayven using Ghost Fox Killer as a convenient way to make sure some people stay dead, but nothing that should be making him think "Oh shit."

11. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Oh, this gonna be good... (ducks into foxhole with helmet on) Let's keep the discussion in-universe, please?

And that is about as milquetoast as an answer can get, short of 'no comment', isn't it?

...Rule 8... But really, Horne seems to be that rare thing: an Honest politician...

And I can see why you ran this past the mods, Mr Zoat.
    Correction: 'is an extremely'

So he's that bad? Maybe Grayven should be checking Horne for possible mind control or the like...
    Possible Correction: 'is classic John' unless Grayven isntended it?

Sometimes, he makes you wonder what he's planning?

Few things compare to the punch and boom of a slug thrower, eh?

Oh, that's a loaded question... Parents groups will bitch him out if he seems to easy on them using guns, the gun nuts will cuss him out if he's too strict...

Just because they have a rough handle on the bloodthirst, doesn't mean you tempt them with the mess guns make.

Ugh, damn my spotty memory. When was that again?

Dude made a mistake there, assuming Apokolips was anything like America.

"Seriously, it's like the Wild West at times..."

A case of 'Might makes Right' taken to extremes, and scary ones at that...

Now that's a better question.
    Correction: 'The man nods', unless he's an 80's cartoon barbarian...

Unfortunately... <Rule 8 alert> Damn, can't say what I want to. Let's just say, not everyone does take them seriously enough...

Yes!

Now, this is how you parent well.

Murphy: "Challenge accepted, bro! Hold my beer!"

From the mouths of Babes... Now, I wonder why he asked that, or who prompted him to ask it.

Hoo boy. Let's hope we get to see what Grayven has to say about that. It should be interesting!
    (Let's hope people can stay on-topic here. Resist the 'Someone is Wrong on the Internet' urges, folks!)

Hell's Razer, Gilhelmi, c3qo and 8 others like this.
  12. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

It could be something that happened off-camera, but if it was something he did in canon, I'm also forgetting.

13. Sceptic

Sceptic Critical Irrationalist

Hear that? Mr Zoat's being held at musket-point by Queen Liz 2! She's forcing him to capitalize words at random!

14. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Is Grayven now campaining for Horne? Can he even do that, not being a citizen?

ChestBurster, iamnuff and DrThoth like this.
  15. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

I'm not sure that we can discuss that without running into Rule 8.

ChestBurster, Ardy, DAT_NOOB and 2 others like this.
  16. Dakkan Sall

Dakkan Sall Random Encounter

Well, there was also his assisting with getting Immortal Man-in-Darkness (or at least the current one) to not be melted by the Durlan ship but still able to interface with it. And getting Celestial Archer into the Team. But... yeah, can't think of any specific event/incident that happened that would lead to someone bringing the association up in this particular forum for vindictive reasons.

17. TotalAbsolutism

TotalAbsolutism Magnificent Bastard Moderator

You're perfectly within your rights to factually answer that question without any issues. Debating the merits of it would be more problematic.

The situation is probably complicated by the real-world equivalent law not having statutes for actual extraterrestrial warlords who technically, according to their own personal standards of legality, own the planet.

18. Simonbob

Simonbob Really? You don't say.

Right. Nice new chapter.

Where's the political problem, anyway?

19. Dakkan Sall

Dakkan Sall Random Encounter

The fact that the characters in the scene are talking about gun control (regardless of their actual stances).

20. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

He preferred China over the US in that case.

DAT_NOOB and DrThoth like this.
  21. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

Yeah, but people are against foreign governments influencing elections, and according to to certain official sources many major countries do it anyways. It’s a thing all sides can seemingly somewhat agree shouldn’t be done, in theory. This has been the case for quite a while, since at least the Soviet era (obviously it’s still a contentious issue even now, with the internet being a thing) Since he’s not a citizen, he could be classified as a foreign national helping a president be elected.

Navi-Hank, Simonbob and DrThoth like this.
  22. Aeess

Aeess I trust you know where the happy button is?

Grayven is performing experiments for human augmentation on people provided by the Chinese government, because their laws arent as restricted, I honestly wondered if Zoat had forgotten that plot.

23. doug89

doug89 Versed in the lewd.

Funnily enough, if that thing was manufactured before 1986 its legal for private ownership.
    "I'm About to End This Man's Whole Career"
    I saw someone make an attack helicopter joke in a story on SB the other day and was surprised no mods came. I suppose no one saw it.

Gilhelmi, w34v3r, Ardy and 7 others like this.
  24. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

I don't think that was ever brought up again, and given his indirect work with the Un-Men, for example the oolitic kidney, it doesn't seem especially notable. And it sounds like the kind of thing that would be under wraps anyway; this ten year old kid at least probably shouldn't know about it.

It's a funny ending to the chapter, but I too am struggling to think why it's such an Oh Crap moment, unless I'm just underestimating how bad the optics of Renegade having positive relations with the Chinese government would be.
    As some other posters questioned, Renegade's explicit and publicly apparent involvement with a presidential campaign seems strange; I'm not sure what the American public think his citizenship status is (I'm a little unsure myself, though my assumption is an unavoidable affiliation with Apokalips).

This does make me curious about how Paragon-Senator Knight is doing in his campaign since he's been involved in diplomacy with Atlantis and potential economically monumental developments related to that. I don't remember Paragon ever interacting with Jon Horne (besides getting him on the phone when dealing with Gotham's mayor), but I assume it was at the non-human citizenship ceremony a while ago.

25. Valiran

Valiran Seeker of fluffiness

I don’t believe they’re as bad as you seem to think, and their reactions appear to stem from unreasonable people taking something harmless and using it in ugly ways, like the term “trap”. It’s supposed to mean “someone who looks (and often dresses) like the opposite gender”, but then assholes started using it to refer to trans people, who quite understandably began to see it as a slur.

As always, this is why we can’t have nice things.

26. Simonbob

Simonbob Really? You don't say.

The Gun debate in the US, and over most of the planet, can be really, really over the top. I'm not really sure why, myself.

I just chalk it up to "People don't think!" along with, well, a lot of other things.

27. Rebu

Rebu hey, little Anna, you're the one

Except for the ones for competition (eg clay shooting), range shooting, and to sit in collections.

Prince Charon and Gilhelmi like this.
  28. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

29. QuiescentQueste

QuiescentQueste Not too sore, are you?

Can we not?

30. Sceptic

Sceptic Critical Irrationalist

No.
    Why not? Collect the whole set.

Bramble Thorn likes this.