1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. TotalAbsolutism

TotalAbsolutism Magnificent Bastard Moderator

I'm not gonna modvoice or nothing, but the thread has been doing really well so far. Let's just not, please?

2. Dragonvx100

Dragonvx100 Not too sore, are you?

… wow, that's brutal.

TotalAbsolutism likes this.
  3. Maxx Crowley

Maxx Crowley I trust you know where the happy button is?

Grayven...you interesting story cock-blocking bastard.

IsActuallyBatman, Gilhelmi and Ardy like this.
  4. Navi-Hank

Navi-Hank An engine fuled by spite

I don't see anything illegal about it. It's usually not a good idea because it looks bad, but Graven is a superhero, and he lives here.

Bramble Thorn and Gilhelmi like this.
  5. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Right. The point isn't the answer, the point is pushing him to declare his tribal loyalty.
    Thank you, corrected.

Bramble Thorn, Ardy, Xjalnoir and 5 others like this.
  6. Chaoswind

Chaoswind Lord of nonsense

Grayven has a special relationship with the Chinese government and has helped them just as much as he has helped the US, but because China is an emerging super power the US is worried they will lose its status as the hegemon of earth.

The question from the kid is loaded because is going to ruffle the feathers of Nationalists US citizens, personally I think all Grayven needs to do is demonstrate how silly human posturing is when hostile and more technological advanced life already has targeted earth several times and then go down the list to demonstrate how lucky the earth has been that most attacks have been from extremely weak civilizations that are pretty much coming to earth because the stronger ones lie in the opposite direction.

General Zod almost took control of earth and they were just a small group of survivors/refugees that came to earth because someone else was hunting and killing all Kryptonians.

The Durlans attacking China are a small organized group that fleed their country because it has become hyper space somalia.

The guys that attacked earth and led to the creation of the Justice League? Pretty much a combination of A and B... Grayven is helping earth countries because they need the help.

7. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

Yeah, international cooperation against a shared enemy is great and all... but people who are obsessed with guns also stereotypically tend to be those obsessed with the military, and also those who are against international cooperation. They think America needs to do things for itself, and working together with China or Russia, or being in any way like Europe is a horrible idea.

Vorian and Ardy like this.
  8. Mr Zoat

Grayven's stated position is this: having worked as a consultant with the US government, it is reasonable for the US public to be able to question him. Since Horne is the president and Knight isn't, he's going to be talking about what he's done with Horne.

In fact, he's toeing the line on campaigning because he obviously wants Horne to win but doesn't want to be too overt.

9. Baladar

Baladar Know what you're doing yet?

If it were Paul on the spot here, then he’d be in a real pickle. He’s done a few (executed witch boy) things on screen with them.

Navi-Hank likes this.
  10. Ardy

Ardy I trust you know where the happy button is?

Yeah, but I doubt this crowd would disapprove of that

Prince Charon, Navi-Hank and DrThoth like this.
  11. earlyriser

earlyriser Getting sticky.

Part of me was wondering if the kid askong the controversial question is Lonnie Machin. Seems like the kind of thing Anarky would do.

12. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Well, as we just saw in Paragon!Pauls update...CLAY IS PEOPLE TOO! YOU MONSTER!

Chaoswind and Navi-Hank like this.
  13. Imperator Pax

Imperator Pax Talon Master

Grayven need to be all like, "Yeah we all got together, and just had to put that mad dog Klarion, and his bois, down you know. Fiends like that just need killing."

Navi-Hank and RagnarokAscendant like this.
  14. Siskulous

Siskulous Know what you're doing yet?

I don't see any way that discussing a fictional character helping with the fictional Presidential campaign of another fictional character could possibly run afoul of Rule 8. Legally in the US I think anyone is free to volunteer with political campaigns, but for obvious reasons it doesn't come up much. Plus most politicians would be reluctant to have high profile foreigners on their campaign staff.

Traditionally superheroes don't get involved in political campaigns mostly because doing so would be a form editiorial suicide. Especially for controversial topics (which is a lesson the entire comic book industry seemingly forgot a while back and is now struggling to relearn). Zoat doesn't depend on this story for his income and thus doesn't have to worry about that. Worst case scenario for him is he loses some of the less reasonable/more reactionary readers.

I will mention that "trap" has always been somewhat derogatory. It was originally used to imply that the person it was referring to was trying to lure unsuspecting people into the bedroom, and got worse from there. Perhaps a better example of what you're trying to say is how a mispronunciation of the Spanish word for "black" eventually evolved into one of the most abhorrent words in the English language.

When Zoat made that comment he was already on their radar. I sincerely doubt that the mods over there could read every single post even if they wanted to.

15. nick012000

nick012000 Gone for Good

I'm reminded of that Barack Obama Superman...

Cuchulin likes this.
  16. Valiran

Valiran Seeker of fluffiness

I’ve only ever seen it used in a humorous or semi-affectionate context, and learning how bigots were using it made me profoundly grumpy.

dogbertcarroll and Vorian like this.
  17. Sceptic

Sceptic Critical Irrationalist

Also SB ≠ SV.

Bramble Thorn and Prince Charon like this.
  18. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

Well, the USA relationship with China is complicated... but nowhere as complicated as with Russia.

And if that kid wasn't a plant I will eat my cowboy hat.

Really Captain Marvel? Going into politics now?

19. Threadmarks: Guys from Gotham (supplementary, Renegade option)
    Mr Zoat

16th February
    22:35 GMT -8

That's where I recognise the face from.

"Lonnie Machin. You're a long way from Gotham."

"Er…"

That actually wrong-foots him. He's… Nine at the moment, so he probably hasn't started using his brain reprogrammer yet. He's just the unusually cerebral and basically well-intentioned son of a man whose arms I crushed not so long ago. Not that he knows that at this point in his life. Actually, I should probably check-. Yes. And he's got a few of the neural abnormalities, too. Might explain the obsessiveness. Or that might just be a product of his unusual intelligence; he's used to the people around him not understanding what he's talking about and so he stops looking to those outside himself for guidance.

I really should try introducing him to Richard…

"How do you.. know who I am?"

"You're on a watch list. Boys my children are never allowed to date."

The moderator frowns at me in bemusement. "Ah, Grayven? Do you know… Ah, Lonnie, was it?"

Lonnie nods, recovering himself slightly.

Ring, biographical details.

By your command.

"Mister Machin up there is one of the most intelligent nine year olds in the country. Mister Machin got a scholarship to Gotham Academy -an excellent school- but decided to keep going to Gotham North… Why was that again?"

"I don't think people should be sorted into winner and losers at six years old. If you tell kids they're going to a bad school, they'll identify with that. It's called the-."

"Pygmalion Effect, yes, I am aware of it. It's why I tell my children that they're New Gods."

Technically, only Lynne is a New God as she's the only one who started human. But I'm sure we can work on it if that bothers the younger children.

"Right."

He pauses.

Yes, Mr Machin is highly intelligent but lacks experience. Which doesn't mean that I can afford to reject what he says out of hand or mock him, but it does mean that his intellectual reach may well exceed his mental grasp. Thing is, when you're trying to reimagine the world, having someone like him around could be rather useful.

See how things go.

"You were asking about China?"

"Yes. Yes, you've been helping the Chinese government with their weapon development program."

"A very small part of it, yes."

"Why? I mean, you say that you like living in America because of the freedom it allows its citizens. Did you know that China executed all of its superheroes during the Great Purge?"

"They executed a lot of people whose faces didn't fit. And as a nation they're hardly unique in that regard. Russia was never quite able to exert that level of control on their own metahuman population but it wasn't for lack of trying. And I can name at least three superheroes who were shot dead by the American government for violently resisting internment during the Second World War."

"And what about more recently?"

I shrug. "Mister Machin, you're a conscientious sort of chap, so I assume that you watched my interrogation of the British Parliament's Preternatural Scrutiny Select Committee?" He nods. "Then you know what I consider my job on Earth to be. I am not here to fix all of the problems of human civilisation. I am here to keep the majority of the population alive."

"Why am I willing to work with a country with a less than stellar human rights record? Because by doing so I reduce the chance of planetary extinction. Because of me those few supervillains who manage to cling on inside China won't be clinging on for much longer. Because of me, some of the more dangerous technologies which the Chinese government had access to are being investigated in slightly less risky ways. I earn the Chinese government's favour and they're a little more willing to cooperate with me on matters of planetary security."

"Exactly what areas of their military have you been helping them with?"

"I'm not going to broadcast that information."

"How do you know that it's just something they're going to use against supervillains rather than their own people?"

"No, I expect that they'll use it in all areas of law enforcement. I know for a fact that several Great Ten members are routinely employed in capturing metahumans who refuse to work for the state." I shrug. "I personally consider the Chinese government's way of utilising metahumans to be inefficient; they value control above utility. But, China has the largest army in the world. If they didn't have slightly better superheroes, they would still have plenty of ways to beat down 'enemies of the state'. Probably with a higher body count."

I'm being a little disingenuous. I'm fully aware that part of the Great Ten's 'hazing' involves sending new members to beat up lightly or entirely unarmed demonstrators. It's a useful way of forcing them to identify with their team and with the state, and to deny them the opportunity to establish a separate support base for themselves amongst said 'enemies of the state'. And the possibility of a resistance movement forming around a powerful metahuman has gone from 'slight' to 'nonexistent'. And… 'Inefficient' is underselling exactly how I feel. I mean, I get it for the ones with destructive powers, but some of the people they've given life imprisonment sentences to…

But even if this version of Lonnie ends up going the 'profound honesty' route I certainly won't.

"So…" He shakes his head. "You don't think you could make a difference? You're not going to use your leverage at all?"

"China has about… Five top tier superfunctionaries." August General, Immortal Man, Thundermind, Ghost Fox Killer and Celestial Archer. "I've helped three of them slightly. That gives me minimal leverage, and none at all outside of the narrow area of metahuman security. And if I sound off in public about some of the things I'd prefer them to do differently I'd lose the ability to influence them within my area of expertise. And while I might prefer it if certain things were different, I must live in the world that exists."

So let's not talk about the negotiations between Lex and the politburo concerning Security Council support for his planetary defence fleet, because I really don't want them to spot that in a move stolen from World War Z's Cuba I'm going to turn their own soldiers into social Trojan horses. Or that we intend to ensure that all of Earth's off-world colonies are liberal, capitalist and democraticish and not beholden to any Earth nation state.

"Mister Machin, it's not that government oppression doesn't bother me, it's that a legion of murder-fairies from the future bent on harvesting your civilisation bothers me more. It's that space pirates bent on plunder and malign wizards bent on mass murder bother me more. Those are the things the Earth rather needs me to focus my energies on. Perhaps you'd rather that I do something else."

I shrug.

"And perhaps you could even make a convincing utilitarian argument for it; I'm far from being a perfect judge of such things. But by and large, I think I'm taking the right approach. Though if you want to try and change the Chinese government's minds on any subject, feel free. I doubt that you're involved in any other work with them that might be damaged by it so you've got a far freer hand than I do."

"But-."

"Tell you what. I'm sure that you could keep pushing me all evening. Why don't you let someone else have a turn now-" Because I'm supposed to be not-electioneering, not re-evaluating my entire strategy. "-and come and see me backstage once this is over? I'll try and give you the level of detail that might actually satisfy you."

He hesitates again, then nods.

"Thank you. I'll do that."

Last edited: Oct 25, 2019
  20. Buggy123

Buggy123 I trust you know where the happy button is?

I hope this is a live program, or at least has a favorable editor. It could still go pretty badly for him if they edit it right.

21. thebishop8

thebishop8 Umm, ackchyually...

*the unusually

*he knows

*losers

"it's that *a legion of *murder-fairies from the future *bent on harvesting your civilisation *bothers me more."

22. Imperator Pax

Imperator Pax Talon Master

That went better than expected. Grayven is Great.

ChestBurster, Jaron, Relyt33 and 8 others like this.
  23. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Ah, the future Anarky. Howsabout you snip that in the bud right now, Grayven? Politely.

That'd be like mixing Pitch and Naptha. Or it could result in total bromance heterosexual life partners...

Heh, I expect some of the kids would have words about that...

Nice cover for your extra-universal knowledge.

What would they even become New Gods of?

Are you actually planning to get the young child who can point out obvious flaws in your plans? Well done, young Overlord!

I'm sure it has many different elements he doesn't have contact with.

I could see that. 40's superheores were very patriotic, and I could see some having opinions about that sort of thing.

Seriously, people never seem to remember all the different alien races with designs on Earth.

Seriously, did Lonnie expect him to answer that? Or is his silence on the matter telling in its own way?

Some more willing than others, at that.

What, they send people who can sing as their own choir to break up riots? Or people who can change colors of things at a glance? <facepalm>

"Seriously, the world is not a video game, Mr Machin. People do actually remember things."

Nice touch, reminding people of the scary things beyond the solar system.

I'm sure they'll listen to a foreign preteen with all the seriousness they believe he deserves.

Ah, recruitment proceeds apace.
    Correction: see me backstage'

And Lonnie Machin makes his appearance. In Renegade at least. No doubt the Paragon version is working himself up to running about Gotham in stilts, trenchcoat and gold mask as this happens...

24. Ardy

Ardy I trust you know where the happy button is?

"Hello small child-critic, would you like to come backstage with me away from the cameras?"

-Grayven, probably

boo600, ChestBurster, Jaron and 25 others like this.
  25. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

26. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Okay, thst was beautiful. In fiction in general and fanfics especially, super smart children either railroad the heroes/villains or get a humiliating smack down.

Grayven was polite, yet dominated the talk but didn't humiliate him. Nicely done, Zoat!

boo600, ChestBurster, Jaron and 16 others like this.
  27. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

I'm a bit confused as to what this sentence means, because surely Tawny/Michael is also a New God despite not being human. I'm not sure if the succupire children's souls are composed of earthly magics or hellish ones, but if it's the latter it would be interesting to see if Renegade and his allies could adapt the Awakening process to work on non-terrestrial souls.

Might I also suggest a link here to jog people's memories? For a while I thought this was some off-screen event that took place after Renegade overthrew the British government because I didn't remember the committee's name.

I'd say he's helped four of them, and in Immortal Man's case that help is significant; of course, Renegade doesn't have to be truthful here, but I don't see much difference between saying three and four if he's trying to hold things back.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2019
    ChestBurster and Prince Charon like this.
  28. TheMidnightRook

TheMidnightRook Well worn.

I'm fully aware that that should be "I'm fully aware".

29. AtomicGeneral25

AtomicGeneral25 Insert Creativity Here

Well that was interesting, I like how you handled Graven talking to a super genius child, not condescending, but not being walked over either. One reference confused me though, how are Chinese soldiers going to be turned into social Trojan horses, and how is that a move taken from WWZ's Cuba? Just showing a handful of soldiers the benefits of living in a capitalist democracy wouldn't make a huge dent in a population as large as China's (Chinese students at American universities would serve a similar role if they were), and Cuba only became democratic due to the huge number of American immigrants eventually exerting influence on Cuban culture. Am I grossly underestimating the size of Luthor's space corps, or does Graven have something a little more potent planned?

boo600, Ngamer11, Relyt33 and 7 others like this.
  30. DeathlessProficiency

DeathlessProficiency Know what you're doing yet?

YESSSSSS GRAYVEN WORK THAT REASONABILITY. Be that person that listen and responds on television. Provide allllll the communication.