1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Buggy123

Buggy123 I trust you know where the happy button is?

From the page Zoat provided, it seems like she's just ugly, and they're going with the "incredible thing that we won't actually depict, just describe" route. Whoever that is with the black-and-white costume probably wouldn't be so horrified if she was looking at a normal face.

2. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.

Chojin Patriarch likes this.
  3. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

I'm pretty sure that's Looker, who in setting is known for being quite the... yeah (I think she was a model before she got her powers, but I'm not sure). Sondra isn't just speaking relatively when she calls Looker beautiful.

Anyone know what episode that's from, or at least the circumstances?

Navi-Hank likes this.
  4. w34v3r

w34v3r Versed in the lewd.

Question: Has Paragon!Paul appeared on Triple-G's show yet? I think that has some hilarious potential.

5. Sceptic

Sceptic Critical Irrationalist

Hahahahahahahahahahahaha no.

Chojin Patriarch and Buggy123 like this.
  6. Mr Zoat

I don't think that GGG's show exists yet. Unlike in canon, Scott Free and Big Barda are around and would spot him immediately.

7. Breadnaught

Breadnaught Experienced.

Apparently OL doesn't know this in character, but Kobra actually have access to a number of Lazarus Pit sites. So it's not really costing them anything to expend a use on this woman as a test subject or something.

Also, while getting a loyal minion to do it would be a better idea, but only if they remain loyal after undergoing whatever fucked up body dysphoria issues they process could grant someone. There's really no guarantee the subject would remain loyal, or particularly sane, after being turned into a mud monster. So I can see the reasoning of using a subject that is both expendable to their organisation, and also hates their current body and would accept a change.

From the wiki:

8. Mr Zoat

Yes, but it's not referenced. I spent a couple of hours trying to find out where they got hold of them and the only thing I found was that by Faces of Evil they already had them.

9. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Does Paul have enough reformed villains to make his own group yet? It'd be a good way for him to increase the good he can do, especially when he has to leave Earth for OLC reasons. He could just give info to his own team and they can go fight the good fight planetside while he's out making the universe a better place. Also, they could do things the Justice League couldn't/wouldn't. Just like a combination of the Outsiders and Batman Inc from YJ Season 3.

Prince Charon likes this.
  10. Mr Zoat

Technically yes, however most of them are in prison.

11. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

So what’s Abra Kadabra doing these days?

12. theaceoffire

theaceoffire Versed in the lewd.

I'm not sure if they could.

Any gadgets installed would turn to mud, and she doesn't have a brain or mind depending on what form she takes.

Maybe soul or magic brainwashing? But if they had that much ability then they would have pro-kobra'ed her.

infinityDivided likes this.
  13. nick012000

nick012000 Gone for Good

Suicide Squad with a name that's better for morale? Maybe something like the Thunderbolts. ;)

DrThoth likes this.
  14. Mr Zoat

Negotiating. He's got quite a few years left on his sentence, but his surprisingly good behaviour combined with offering assistance during last years breakout attempt means that he might be able to wangle early parole. The only problem with that is that he won't be able to go to Atlantis right away.
    The SI torpedoed Suicide Squad over a year ago. It will be a while before Senator Knight feels the need to revisit a very contentious idea like that.

15. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

I would've thought a slightly altered take where supervillains instead of getting time off for good behaviour get to go on a 'suicide squad' to get them off their sentences for playing superhero would be something paul agrees with?

Bramble Thorn and Cuchulin like this.
  16. Mr Zoat

I think this came up earlier, but in summary? No. You don't get called a supervillain for jaywalking. No one in Belle Reve should be doing anything other than rehabilitation. Perhaps a very few n extremis could volunteer for national emergencies, but the fact is that if controlling the inmates was simple then Belle Reve wouldn't be needed.

17. Grimnar

Grimnar Versed in the lewd.

What... just happened?

Did he just devour the wards at a distance? Without even touching them?

18. Mr Zoat

No, he applied enough power that they broke.

19. Lazurman

Lazurman That Others May Fap

Phew. At least OL can more aggressively counteract scry wards now. The bloody things have long overstayed their welcome.

20. Massgamer

Massgamer I trust you know where the happy button is?

So this canon character?

Origins still confusing.

21. Ganurath

Ganurath Apologizes For Nothing

Sondra Fuller.

22. ForeverShogo

ForeverShogo Not too sore, are you?

Well, I think this is supposed to be the face she had before she became Lady Clayface.

[​IMG]

23. Threadmarks: Guys from Gotham (part 19)
    Mr Zoat

Positively indolent.

17th February
    09:57 GMT -5

I shuffle across the bed, noting that I appear to have moved during the night so that my face was on Jade's part of the pillow. A quick glance at the flat's internal monitoring shows that there've been no attempted breaches since I got in this morning. There's a team meeting scheduled for this afternoon and I've got no plans to do anything of significance until then.

But…

Ring, status of Sondra Fuller.

I walk in the direction of the kitchen.

Sondra Fuller remains in containment at Gotham Central pending a decision on her possible transfer to Belle Reve.

I take my bowl of milk-soaked oats out of the fridge and put in it the microwave.

Since she clearly isn't insane, there isn't any case for putting Ms Fuller in Arkham Asylum. Despite what some elements of Earth Prime's Bat-media seemed to think, Arkham Asylum is a maximum security hospital and not a prison. Mr Cobblepot -for example- has never been there, as he's clearly sane. Mr Lynns didn't go there initially, as it wasn't originally clear that he had actual pyromania and wasn't just on a more normal power trip. Dr Fries didn't go there before his transfer to Belle Reve. Mr Blake...

The point is, it isn't really a metahuman containment facility. And neither is Blackgate. By the time that Gotham was functional enough for it to be worth considering creating that sort of institution, Belle Reve was up and running and it was judged that it would be better to send them there, relying on Batman to arrange the actual transportation. In fact… Aside from Dr Isley, I don't think Gotham really has any local supervillains who'd need that sort of institution.

I should probably visit her. While I think I convinced her to stay put, imprisonment is an extremely stressful thing and the situation will only get worse if she does something ill-advised. Plus, the Gotham police don't actually have all that much experience in handling metahumans. The Major Crimes unit isn't Metropolis's Special Crimes Unit and I remember… Reading something about the Spiderman villain Sandman. Because his body works nothing like the body of a normal person, if you didn't have the right equipment when you confronted him then you were going to lose.

The microwave pings and I take out my bowl, a construct oven glove automatically appearing around my right hand. That's nice to see after last-. This morning's construct-failure. I'm not used to not wanting to do the thing I'm working on. The privilege of being an absurdly powerful superhero and your own boss. I had thought about trying to get myself more invested in Gotham, but I just… The place is getting better and there aren't any supervillains powerful enough to actually need me to deal with them. I wanted to make it clear that I was available if I was required, and then… Things just snowballed.

Ugh.

I'll need to check in with John Quinn and Dr Balewa-. Actually… Do I? Dr Balewa had clear seniority, John's allegedly grandfathered Justice League membership notwithstanding. And… Find out if Talia got anywhere.

A construct filament opens a nearby cupboard and pulls out a box of granola. I shake a handful out onto the porridge for texture and sweetness, then return the box to the cupboard before generating a construct spoon and taking a mouthful.

Or do I? Dealing with baleful supernatural foes is actually Dr Balewa's job, by virtue of his Justice League membership. I'm just a volunteer. Building rep with the Gotham establishment doesn't benefit me at all; it just might save them a little time in a crisis because they know they can call on me. No, the relics John sounded like he wanted to acquire. Those might actually be beneficial. The gang who attacked the Dragons and the gang who attacked the mayor… Don't care. Kobra gang… Don't care. We took down one crazy cult and another expanded to fill the void. The best way to stop their local spread is by improving social institutions and employment opportunities, both of which are already underway and neither of which I can really help with.

I'm not feeling particularly heroic at the moment.

I frown, spoon evaporating in my bowl. I had been assuming that enlightenment rendered me immune to external mental influences, and that has been borne out so far. But…

I step

fully into the Honden, fragments of all of the desires Jade felt here mapping out an approximate representation of the room. And previous residents too, I notice. My own don't stick out in the same way, fitting into the metaphysical flow of the place better than those of people who don't integrate them quite so well. In theory, only the Ophidian and I can access this place at the moment, though I imagine that wizards and mystics of various stripes have peeked into it at one time or another. Since I don't have a physical body there shouldn't be any way for most mundane influences to work.

So… Gotham…

Yeah, I don't care about the place. Saving that people I care about live in it. I can't even sell it to myself as a structure which was built by human hands and so has value as a manifestation of human ingenuity. Almost every place I've been was clearly built by the lowest bidder to the lowest standards, even the apparently nice property.

There are reasons why I haven't tried visiting Blüdhaven. With Gotham I just can't be bothered to upgrade things with my rings anymore. With Blüdhaven I'm genuinely concerned that I might start tearing it down.

I look around at my orange light body. No unnatural-looking strands anchoring me to things, no unnatural-looking cut ends where I should be connected to things. That still leaves the possibility that my other emotions are being influenced, but that's less of an immediate concern.

I suppose that's as much assurance as I'm going to get. I step

back into the material world, picking up my bowl again and recreating my spoon. So what, what is my next objective? The gnomes are working on Dolmen Gate production so planes and long distance road travel are going to be a thing of the past. Power generation is getting much cheaper. Inclement weather… Volcanism? There must be a few volcanologists who might be lured into animistic magic. I can't think of any volcanologists from DC at the moment but I'm sure they were there. But as concerning as Yellowstone is, volcanic activity isn't a widespread concern-.

The doorbell rings.

I turn to the door, frowning mildly. Who-? Oh. Talia.

I put my bowl down, swap my pyjamas for a morning suit and then walk over to the door, my ring disarming the flat's defensive systems as I go. I open the door and then step back to allow her inside.

Talia is similarly dressed for a business occasion. Though Batwoman visiting the house of Orange Lantern would make perfect sense, it isn't really a sensible getup to loiter around in during the bright of the day. People would ask her for selfies, and I'm sure that she'd find that demeaning.

She walks inside and waits for me to shut the door and reactivate the security before speaking.

"Winslow Heath."

Ring? Ah. No, hang on.

I frown. "Why would he spread Smilex?"

"He wished to revenge himself upon Batman for failing to permanently end the Joker." I raise my right eyebrow. "I suspect that his own exposure to Smilex has affected his reasoning. He wished to sell the Smilex-based narcotic cheaply enough to addict people, and then use that addiction to encourage them to cause violent havoc across the city. Now, he will spend many years in Blackgate."

"Not Arkham? If his mind has been compromised that much, wouldn't that be a better place for him?"

"In the same facility as the Joker?"

"Plenty of people in Arkham have wanted to kill each other before. A secure hospital is either secure or it's not, and if it's not then I'd rather find out using people who aren't going to get better than people who might."

"Fortunately, you are not the one who makes such decisions."

I nod. "Well done for tracking him down. I got a bit distracted."

"Perhaps you will give me a little more deference in future."

"I'd like to argue that I was perfectly happy to acknowledge your abilities, but honestly? What I learned yesterday and this morning was that I don't care about Gotham. You're welcome to it. Have as much fun as you like and call me when you need fire support."

She regards me cautiously for a moment. "That's all you have to say?"

"Yes. The Bat-signal's all yours."

"Very well then." She turns away and walks towards the door. Then she stops and looks back at me with a frown. Then she returns her attention to the door and marches out of the flat.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2019
  24. hkim

hkim Know what you're doing yet?

rip talia's ego, slain by an orange man

25. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Ah yes, expecting an apology from an Orange Lantern. A futile effort.

26. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

I bet she imagined that scenario a lot differently in her head. She probably feels a bit insulted that someone (apparently) younger than her is not giving her respect. I bet if she asked he'll reply he'll do it when she's earned it.

27. Flux Casey

Flux Casey The Colonel

Talia still tragically misreading the situation. Still talking down to him, still with the attitude that she knows best and should not be questioned (just like dear old dad), still thinking he actually gives a crap about her in any way shape or form.

And then he tells her to her face that he was slumming it and doesn't care about her, her husband's city (jury's out on if she considers it "hers" like he does) or even most of the people living in it.

Even when he told her exactly what his feelings were on this whole thing she still didn't quite get it. She doesn't deserve to call herself a Bat.

28. thebishop8

thebishop8 Umm, ackchyually...

"If" instead of "of".

Should that be "imagine" instead of "image"?

*decisions

29. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

So, a nice easy day to relax. No doubt you'll be using it to check in on various projects.

She's playing nice? Good to see someone reasonable.

Blame it on writers reading the work of other writers reading the work of the original writers... It's a big old incestuous chain of flanderization.

So many Weirdos who are just ordinary, if crazy, people with maybe a gimmick weapon.

Yup. Freeze rays would have been something useful in the Marvel universe, but surprisingly, few Ice-based villians exist. Those that do use metahuman or mutant/Inhuman powers.

If it isn't worth your time, don't waste time on it.

I expect Dr Balewa's pulled rank. He probably respects Quinn's efforts though.
    Correction: 'Find out if Talia'

Feeling a bit of a fifth wheel, then, OL?

Well, he finally checks on it? He can learn!

You hope.

Tearing down Bludhaven would be a clear improvement. That's likely one reason it got bombed by the Secret Society during Infinite Crisis.

I doubt land, sea and air vehicles will become completely redundant. If nothing else, as pleasure craft or emergency backups in the case of Dolmen Gate failure.

Well, what's she been up to, I wonder. Guess we're going to find out.

"Fiddler's Green. Oh, we aren't saying random place names?"

So it was a fricking copycat? Oh, Napier is gonna be pissed. Or pleased someone else who had a bad day snapped just like he did. It's hard to predict what laughing boy will do at the best of times.

You know, like oil and water. Or we'd get him learning the craft at the feet of his 'maker'. Like a male Harequin... Jack A'Napes?
    (An actual character name I've used for a Superhero RPG villain, no less)

I suspect Arkham Asylum would lose quite a few inmates that way if he did.

And there goes the burn. Gotham isn't worth his time. How OL.

Yep, she's annoyed by his indifference. What did she expect from someone powered by his Want?

And so ends Guys of Gotham (barring a denouement). Where shall we be going next, I wonder?

30. w34v3r

w34v3r Versed in the lewd.

Ok, to be fair she's new at this, and Ras didn't exactly train people for critical thinking.