1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

It’s confirmed that there’s no Barbados, since that’s post New 52, and stuff Zoat doesn’t like.

As for Selina VS Talia, it’s explained above: passion for following a cause vs being an independent woman, and better education/ experience.

Selina might be the better romantic match, but Batman isn’t a romantic person.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2019
  2. transhumansage

transhumansage Versed in the lewd.

I was gonna ask if barbatos was fucking with paul but mquz said he doesn't exist in this continuity? I don't remember why you excluded new 52?

Navi-Hank likes this.
  3. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

For limited periods of time, the body is perfectly capable of tapping its own fuel reserves. I speak from experience that once I'm sufficiently focused on something it's easy to forget to eat or sleep. My body demands atonement from me afterward, but 2-3 days of this is certainly possible with minimal ill effects.

Where exactly do you draw the line, though? Lowlies understand God Speech. Parademons clearly have at least some level of divine power, and the Furies have even more. And at least in Universe 16-Z, the New Gods that Grayven awakened don't pick up a portfolio right away, so in the absence of some clear guiding direction there's no real guarantee that they must develop a portfolio.

Because he thinks it's a stupid train wreck.

4. Maxx Crowley

Maxx Crowley I trust you know where the happy button is?

Yes, for limited periods of time.

However, I don't know if I've ever seen a panel with Batman actually eating, or resting. It almost always goes with Alfred saying "Sir, you haven't eaten more than scraps, or slept for days."

Only for Batman to be all "Fuck off, I'm batman."

Then Batman will rush out and perform extremely physically demanding actions for hours upon hours at a time.

It's fucking stupid. From an author who is trying to...what? Make him look more "Badass" by ignoring biological functions? Is batman somehow less hardcore if he eats a fucking sandwich?

You know what's even more annoying about the not eating or sleeping thing? Authors always feel the need to point out that they aren't.

Huge battle, intense action for hours. Protag slowly pushes plate of food away from them because "I'm not hungry/I'm queasy from the violence."

Then protag rushes out for another couple hours of higher than Olympic levels of physical activity.

I ran across a MHA fic where the MC hardly eating was literally a character trait. Over and over it was pointed out that he basically weighs about 90 pounds, his ribs are both quite visible, and characters who touch him remark on it quite often.

But he never eats more than a bite or two because "I'm not hungry." Apparently he's so traumatized and emo that his belly is already mostly full of his own tears and sadness.

Then he rushes out, sprints about twenty city blocks and scales the largest skyscraper in the city by stabbing knives into the building.

It's stupid on a level that legitimatly pisses me off. I'd like to slam the author's face into their own desk. Because, really? How fucking stupid are you? Where is he getting the energy for all this shit? Absorbing it straight out of the moron dimension?

And again, it wouldn't be quite so bad, if they didn't feel the need to KEEP POINTING IT OUT.

5. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

You'd be surprised how far past its limits the human body can be pushed, I mean sure he'll drop eventually but he'd last maybe just under a week without food and drink.

Navi-Hank likes this.
  6. Buggy123

Buggy123 I trust you know where the happy button is?

There's something known as the "survival rule of threes": Three weeks without food, three days without water, three hours without shelter, three minutes without oxygen.

But the key word for all of those is survive. You go two days without water, especially somewhere hot, and you end up surviving in a hospital with a saline drip. You go two weeks without food, and you'll look like a famine victim. And you'll have all the strength of one, too.

Batman not sustaining himself is stupid, because outside of crisis situations he's just making himself less capable when he forgoes food/water/sleep. Sure, maybe with the indomitable Bat Willpower™ he could keep going anyway, but you can't willpower away muscle fatigue unless you happen to have a green ring on your finger.

7. Maxx Crowley

Maxx Crowley I trust you know where the happy button is?

No. I actually wouldn't.

See, I actually train. I actually fight, and compete.

I've had intensely strenuous training session, and harrowing matches, where I have hit the wall. Where I know just what to do, see a perfect opening, but guess what? There is nothing left in the tank.

Limbs feel completely empty, especially my dominant arm. Inside of my knees feel hollow (Best way to describe it), My stomach is in knots, can't hardly catch breath, and most importantly....no longer have the strength to do the things I'm trying to do. Mentally, all you want to do is go home.

Sweat pouring off of your face like someone turned on the tap. Vomiting a real possibility, and all you can do is lay on the mat and try to breath. Can't get up, even if you wanted to, because your legs might as well be noodles at this stage.

There are few things more frustrating than trying to go even further beyond, and your body simply won't do it.

Now, I'm not the perfect peak human like Batman apparently is. At the same token, he's shown going DAYS without food or rest while STILL engaging in incredibly strenuous activity, actively REFUSING both food and rest when he has the chance, to say nothing of all the injuries he accrues during all of this. Furthermore, I haven't suffered 1/16 of the injuries he has.

It's fucking stupid. Don't even try to defend it...and what's worse? Batman himself, with his super genius, can plan anything with perfection brain....SHOULD KNOW BETTER.

And finally, it's not just that he's not eating/sleeping. It's that he's not doing any of that...and then rushing out for hours and hours and hours of strenuous COMBAT. I.E He's actively burning energy that he is NOT replacing. UGH!

THANK YOU! *throws up hands*

Last edited: Oct 28, 2019
  8. Cuchulin

Cuchulin Versed in the lewd.

Not quite true, Selina mostly just wants to be at least as important as The Mission/being Batman rather than consistently take a back seat to it. Talia on the other hand is happy to play second fiddle to the cause of others because that is how she was raised.

ShadowPoint and Chaoswind like this.
  9. TheMidnightRook

TheMidnightRook Well worn.

Which film is that? There've been... several, and the only one I can think of that had Talia was The Dark Knight Rises, where she betrayed him and he ended up disappearing with Selina.

10. Threadmarks: Sprited Away (part 1)
    Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Sprited Away

17th February
    18:12 GMT -5

"…missed all the excitement."

Artemis pauses at the zeta tube entrance, checks around us and then looks at me for confirmation. My eyes glow for a moment…

Talia's watching us from under some sort of active camouflage system. I generate a construct in the shape of the words 'HI BATWOMAN' and then nod to Artemis.

"We're clear. And if I'm honest I just found the whole business rather trying."

"Yeah, well…" She opens the booth and steps inside. "Your standards are kinda weird."

"I'm not arguing."

"Recognized, Artemis, B Zero Eight."

I've got to talk to someone about making that silent. Frankly… I don't see why the zeta tube system announces people anyway, but it certainly shouldn't do so in public areas. Before, I dismissed it because I didn't think that secret identities could withstand serious scrutiny anyway, but now that I'm making more of an effort not to bottle things up… Yeah, that's going on the list.

"Recognized, Orange Lantern, B Zero Six."

I look around-.

"HAHAHAHA!"

Artemis breaks off from staring at the people I assume to be our new recruits and frowns at me. "What?"

Arisia Rrab's eyes flick briefly to Lantern Jordan, whose arms are crossed and who is regarding me with mild frustration. Dame Carol Ferris -14's armour has undergone a little modification since last time I saw her, a lilac undersuit augmented with glowing crystal plates. She even has a helmet. I'm actually impressed. I don't recognise the similarly dressed grey skinned blue eyed young woman with her, but they've both got glowing violet rings so I'm going to assume that Carol's mission on Zamaron was a success.

"And you brought them here? Oh you poor poor Lanterns."

Jordan's gaze hardens. "Knock it off, Paul."

"I have fully briefed Ghia'ta-" Dame Carol glances at her young charge, who meets her eyes and smiles. "-on the difficulties which she may encounter here. I have every confidence that -with your aid- she may learn to overcome them, and in doing so serve to inspire the other Zamarons of this universe to change their ways."

"Change-?" 'Other'? I regard her with a frown. "You don't look like a Zamaron. Or.. can you change shape?"

"My father was from Korugar."

That really doesn't explain the ears, but… I suppose that the strange genetics of interspecies reproduction will do some weird things.

"Right." I transition forward and offer her my right hand. "Pleased to meet you, Lantern Ghia'ta."

She doesn't look entirely certain about touching me, so I think about when I watched Jade focus her entire attention on assembling a proton pistol and Ghia'ta blinks and then relaxes. She takes my hand in a slightly awkward grip, but manages the handshake in a way which makes me think that she's actually paying attention to her cultural database.

"And Lantern Rrab."

I head over to greet her as well, and she steps forward almost defiantly to meet me half way.

"Lantern Paul."

"Illustres, actually, but you can just use my name. Welcome to hard mode. We have demons, monsters, demon monsters, robots, robot magicians, monster magicians, demon magicians, telepathic starfish magicians, time travellers and people made of mud. I'm sure that you'll fit right in."

There's a moment of confusion, then she nods. "I will."

Artemis snorts with amusement. "Maybe you shouldn't sound so sure that's a good thing." She frowns. "Where's everyone else?"

"The team members who've actually shown up are either getting ready or waiting in the living area. How often do Cornwall Boy or Squire manage to show?"

"Weekdays, it's pretty much holidays only." I shrug. "It's a five hour time difference."

Artemis comes a little closer. "What are we doing tonight, anyway?"

The right edge of Jordan's lip curves upward slightly. "Low gravity op training on the moon."

She twitches. "Really? You got a space suit I won't tear apart every time I move?"

"Sure. How d'you think Superman manages?"

"By having his force field improve his proprioception so he doesn't do exactly what I'm worried about doing?"

"Artemis, there are going to be at least seven Lanterns on standby. If anyone gets into serious trouble it takes seconds to attach an environmental shield to someone."

Jordan frowns. "Where are you getting seven Lanterns from?"

"You, Lantern Rrab, Dame Carol, Lantern Ghia'ta, me, Guy and Alan, who has more experience than the rest of us put together."

"I don't think we need all-."

"Do you remember a year and a half ago, when J'onn J'onzz decided that he didn't need a second when he ran us through a telepathic training scenario? Do you remember the Ophidian manifesting on the Earth?"

"Yes."

"After that, we decided that if the Justice League member running a training session was suggesting a session without adequate safety planning, we'd call them on it right at the beginning. We have twenty people, of whom only one is fine with vacuum exposure and most of whom have no zero or low gravity experience. And if you're expecting me to take off my rings so I learn something, that's one less. Seven Lanterns."

"Fine. You can call Alan and Guy." He rises off the ground. "I'm going to check in on Aqualad. Arisia-."

"Ghia'ta, remain with Orange Lantern and Artemis. I will go with Sir Harold while you get to know your sisters in arms."

Jordan takes a breath. "Arisia, did you bring a space suit?"

"Ah, no?"

"Not to worry. I can construct one for you."

"Right. You do that." Jordan nods. "We're heading out in half an hour."

He floats back slowly for a moment, then Dame Carol loops her left arm around his right and tugs, causing him to start moving in earnest rather than be dragged along by her.

Artemis shakes her head. "I don't have a space suit either."

"This won't take long. Ghia'ta?"

She bows her head slightly, the crystals of her armour's outer layer growing and merging into a seamless whole.

"Good show." I make eye contact with Arisia and Artemis. "What sort of auxiliary systems do you want included?"

11. doug89

doug89 Versed in the lewd.

Can he say his name now?

12. Profipfreely

Profipfreely Verified Pun

I imagine he's having the ring play his name, like he's done in the past.

13. Kalem_Lee

Kalem_Lee Well worn.

Zoat may wanna include the ring portion or have his name glow Orange.

14. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

15. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Wow, this is almost nostalgic. Making equipment for the team.

Also so many Lanterns!

Also also, his interaction with Ghia'ta is very interesting. If both sides are empaths than what you feel becomes part of what you communicates. Like having an extra face that only two people in the room are aware of.

16. Ganurath

Ganurath Apologizes For Nothing

The name of the chapter is cleared a reference to spirited away, but... a sprit is a diagonal mast spar. If it were a verb form of sprite, which indicate fairy shenanigans, it'd be Sprited Away, not Spritted Away.

17. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Oh, this is gonna get funky. For the less expansive vocabularies: Sprit is an obscure term for a sprout or shoot (according to Google). Not, as it appears, a mispelled Studio Ghibli reference :p
    (EDIT: Apparently it's not 'spritted'. Welp.)

One last poke to the ego, for the lulz.

Gotham in general is trying.

Kind of a giveaway for arriving superheroes, yes.

<Rubs hands together> Break out the popcorn, boys, girls and assorted others...

Ah, rookies...
    Correction: 'don't recognise the'

What? In all honesty, Earth is the perfect training ground for Lanterns. There's never any shortage of unusual scenarios.

Oof, kinda rude, OL.

Just look at all the human-hybrids running around Earth.

Show her he's not completely marinated in Want. Good show.

Ah, the one from a long line of local Lanterns. She's going to have a chip on her shoulder about proving herself worthy, isn't she?

They're right, this really needs some indication about how he's saying his name...

Probably not often enough, I bet. Though not through any fault of their own...

Sounds about average for a Comic Book universe.

Wow, associating with OL has really improved her vocabulary. Can you imagine canon Artemis saying 'proprioception'?

Practically a Common Sense interrupt moment. :D

Do you want the Predator turning up? Because that's how you get the Predator showing up.

I can picture the annoyed expression. Nice.

What have you been teaching her, Jordan?

Hmm, possible cross-dimensional romance or just politeness?

Oh, they are going to get an education here on Earth. Could be two of the most crazy-prepared lanterns ever...

Well, this is shaping up to be interesting. I doubt the other meaning of Sprit (a nautical term for part of a ships' sail-rigging) is going to be pertinent... I certainly hope we don't get Arisia crushing on Jordan, though, that was skeevy in the comics.:confused:
    And apparently the title is 'sprited'. Someone going off with the fairies perhaps? Are we about to see the Maltusian Leprechauns appear?

18. King of Frost

King of Frost Wishing I was somewhere colder no doubt.

Be kind of interesting if he's so disassociated from it now he can say it without actually thinking it, but I doubt that's what it is.

19. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

More casual disrespect from Paul to Batwoman.

Wonder how may actually listened to her. They probably think Zamaron 50 is crazy for giving rings to mortals.

Learn how to accept other emotions. You'll thank him in the future.

Bet he doesn't like remembering that moment. He really needs to learn that when Paul says something, he almost always means it.

Wonder how Jordan is going to explain this to his girlfriend. "I swear there is nothing between us. Even if she is basically a better version of you in every way."

20. Mr Zoat

It's supposed to be pronounced 'Sprite ed'.
    She does do an English Masters, so... Yes, eventually.
    I don't know. Carol -14 wouldn't have a problem with him flying off to do superheroic stuff, but Carol 16 was mostly annoyed about him keeping it secret and the Star Sapphire stuff. She's actually pretty reasonable.

21. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

Man... I just saw Spirited Away for preety much the first time this morning. More like the second time... I saw pieces of it as a young child and hated it (I had persistent nightmares about being kidnapped by a witch and forced to work, and it was my first anime / Miyazaki film).

22. hkim

hkim Know what you're doing yet?

Maybe spell it "Sprited" then? There is an existing verb for that and it does have a past tense.

23. Someguy Somewhere

Someguy Somewhere The Critical Fumbler

Maybe Zoat's just a fan of the soft drink?

Bramble Thorn, Rebu and DrThoth like this.
  24. Mr Zoat

Changed.

25. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

One of the reasons that the 'insane' (meaning 'non-evil') ex-Weaponer SI I've been thinking about plans to take his Blue Lantern recruits to Earth to train them. Not necessarily Earth-16, though it is somewhat inspired by YJ and WTR.

EDIT: He really doesn't like being called a Weaponer, BTW. He'll accept 'Mad Scientist' instead, but he prefers 'Engineer.'

26. Twilight666

Twilight666 I trust you know where the happy button is?

Hey Mr Zoat I was rereading the last Grayven episode and here:
    Kara is wondering if he gave Eliza the Garrick formula, but later during their date:
    she 'realises' it again.

27. Chaoswind

Chaoswind Lord of nonsense

Is bat woman getting kidnapped? She never came through the zeta tube, we know some of those are under surveillance by da light and Paul did just break her cover...

28. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

Paul checked for surveillance when they went through, and found her, so it’s probably not a problem. I’m assuming this is because she’s technically not on the league.

Navi-Hank likes this.
  29. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

Yeah, me too man. Me too.

30. Dakkan Sall

Dakkan Sall Random Encounter

Should be "Weekdays" as a single word.

And... huh. Dame Carol is being somewhat close with Hal. Dunno what her relationship was with his counterpart per se... a quick wiki check says that 'Harold' was a janitor who was only at her company for some industrial espionage... so this seems a bit quick even for a Violet.

nick012000, Ardy and Mr Zoat like this.