1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

I never knew that saying about cheaters had another part to it that makes the whole thing more cynical- kind of the opposite effect from the full form of ‘my country right or wrong’ that was stated a while ago.

Ngamer11 and Navi-Hank like this.
  2. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Nuh-uh.

3. lefthandturnsignal

lefthandturnsignal Making the rounds.

From the link it's actually a quote about treason.

Still, a lot of quotes are like that, a lot of people know about the jack of all trades one, but my favorite is 'blood of the covenant is thicker than the water of the womb'

4. Bramble Thorn

Bramble Thorn Verified Silhouette

Why would OL waste a bunch of Lazarus charges on a bunch of random people, many with psychological problems, and none who contributed in any great manner to the common welfare?

Helping someone who hates their body/current self enough they spoke in black is a good a use as any. And if it works you hopefully and up with a someone who has both superpowers and a positive disposition towards the people who gave them the superpowers and freed them from their old self.

Also, there is some bad fridge logic going on here. OL twigged on something going on because the person working there that he talked to was not the person Robin said was supposed to be working there. Lady the Clayface is in fact a shapeshifters, and was working there under an assigned persona. If they were going to have her impersonate someone so she could work there, then why not have her impersonate the person who was actually supposed to work there?

If she was given the name of Charles Adelsen, and a picture and voice sample to base her impersonation on, then why the wrong face and such?

This all seems rather stupid if you step back to think about it.
    Be honest here Zoat, have you been drinking Patented Comic Writer Stupid Juice? Or have the Zoats been switched again when the last one went to house sit his parents house, and the new one happens to have prior experience writing for comics, with all the bad plotting that implies?

This doesn't make as much sense as you think, what with Cobblepot being a Mob Boss with connections, and Gotham being massively corrupt when he started out. I'd have thought that whether Mr. Cobblepot whens to Arkham or Blackgate would depend on which hands Cobblepot decided to grease or not, who among Arkham or Blackgate could be persuaded to give him the most preferential treatment for the least cost in money or influence, and whether or not Mr. Cobblepot would consider arranging to be found 'not guilty by reason of insanity' and then later declared 'cured' and released to be easier or harder than arranging an 'early release for good behavior'

But as far a deciding whether the Gotham Justice System sent him to Arkham or Blackgate, I don't think whether he was actually insane or not would matter all that much until later in the timeline, when the corruption began to diminish. Just because he wouldn't get sent to Arkham now doesn't mean he would never have been sent there.

I mean in this very episode, there was a conversation about someone who may very well have been made insane by Smilex exposure. And the consideration about whether he would be sent to Arkham or Blackgate was not whether he was insane or not. Because someone with power made the decision on which destination would suit their personal agendas (apparently keeping Joker out of potential danger), rather on something unimportant like "is this a person who needs psychological help or not."

Welcome to the wonderful world of corruption realpolitik. If it matters so little now, just think about how much less it mattered then.

Vorian, Travisplo, Navi-Hank and 3 others like this.
  5. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

And Paul was tricked by a little girl because he didn't bother to do even the bare minimum of research and then finally declared his inability to handle Gotham.

That proves her right.

6. Mr Zoat

The SI didn't care why Lady CLayface looked like she did, so it didn't come up in the story. The reason was that she wasn't expecting any company and so was experimenting with different faces in a place she knew didn't have camera coverage, then he turned up and she couldn't risk turning back.

Mobsters who get arrested in Gotham don't try to get into Arkham. They get the charges dropped or reduced. Arkham is not a good place to be.

7. Bramble Thorn

Bramble Thorn Verified Silhouette

Who is she, why is she here, have we seen her before, and why isn't her name a link, as this is her first appearance in the current episode and I have no recollection of who she is supposed to be and whether or not she has appeared in the story before...

Also could use a picture link please, but her at least I remember from a renegade installment.

Raises hand, "All of them?"

Seriously, include that kinetic shield belt, some flight systems, some self-repair systems, some radio, wifi, and other communication modes, an integrated computer full of ebooks, books-on-tape, several movies, tv shows, many thousands songs of various genres, air conditioner and heater, build in massage function, various scanning and vision modes, integrated HUD, various laser and ray gun settings, some cool styling and light-yet-form-fitting armour you can move around in easily, and top it all off with built in subspace storage that can store itself when not in use as well as swap out your clothing.

Henshin transformation sequence optional, but appreciated.

More like the inverse of that. Spirited Away is about someone getting taken into the Spirit World. So less like a Sheeda invasion of your world, and more like you ending up in the Sheeda's world.

8. AidanMorgan

AidanMorgan Essentially Overworked

I've been a bit behind but I'm caught up again and this made me laugh out loud. Just... wonderful.

Ngamer11, PDV, Vorian and 3 others like this.
  9. Aeess

Aeess I trust you know where the happy button is?

The manifestation of the Ophidian resulted in the destruction of the League of Shadows and Paul getting a Soul and Superpowers, I dont see why hes complaining.

10. thebishop8

thebishop8 Umm, ackchyually...

You put your correction directly into the quote? Zoat has missed posts filled with nothing but corrections before, you're pretty much asking for it to be ignored. Also, Mr Zoat doesn't use periods after abbreviations. Hell, just take a closer look at his username.

When Paul visited Oa, he fought a few rookie Lanterns, she was one of them. It was briefly mentioned a few episodes ago that Jordan was training a Lantern, this is the official reveal that it is her.

11. Shadaki

Shadaki Your first time is always over so quickly, isn't it?

Why doesn't this happen to them on Earth?

12. DeathlessProficiency

DeathlessProficiency Know what you're doing yet?

@Mr. Zoat

Part 1 is titled “Sprited Away.” Part 2 is titled “Spritted Away.” Will Part 3 be titled “Spirited Away” and feature human-to-pig transformations and a big grandpa spider boiler technician?

13. Mr Zoat

Basically, because I got lazy when I put the threadmark in and pressed 's', clicked on yesterday's threadmark and changed the number. As a result, one too many 't's.
    It doesn't happen to the Flash because he used the perfected formula. It doesn't happen to Wallace or Jay because they're not fast enough.
    Because they were very very lucky.
    First appeared back here.
    Ghia'ta

14. Gilhelmi

Gilhelmi Know what you're doing yet?

From one of my favorite chapters where OL Paul lightly spanks the Green Lantern Recruits for not calling into their superior for advice and to see if he was supposed to be there.

IIRC Lantern Jordan and her had a bit of a relationship in one of the main cannons. Doubt it will happen here seeing as Earth -14 Carol Ferris stands as his equal as a Lantern and (I assume) is going to stay in this world, but Source only knows.

15. Someguy Somewhere

Someguy Somewhere The Critical Fumbler

You know, most 40k fans I know adopted that movie as an unofficial prequel to everyone's favorite pauldron powered Sci Fi universe.
    I mean they've even got the faux latin down pat. 'Libera te tutemet ex inferis.'

16. Sceptic

Sceptic Critical Irrationalist

Which I once looked into, and found no significant credible evidence of it being anything other than a later attempt to reverse the meaning of the original quote.
    IIRC a chord is the shortest path between two points. Although if you bend spacetime enough (as Zoat pointed out) it ends up being a zero-length chord...

Gilhelmi likes this.
  17. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

Man... the first time I heard that whole bending space-time thing was in A Wrinkle In Time (the book) of all places...

Gilhelmi likes this.
  18. Threadmarks: Sprited Away (part 3)
    Mr Zoat

17th February
    22:26 GMT -5

"…turn in early, since we've actually got a mission tomorrow."

Artemis and I walk towards the hangar zeta tubes from the kitchen.

I nod.

"I'm going to stay here for a little while. I want to have a private word with the team's new Lanterns."

She frowns. "Yeah, what's up with that? I thought that the Green Lantern Corps only recruited… Adults. You know."

"Sort of. They don't recruit children, but they don't check local social maturity standards before they recruit people. She's got the mental maturity to use her ring sensibly, so as far as they're concerned that's fine."

"Don't Green Lanterns do their training on Oa?"

"They do their basic training on Oa. They then usually get mentored for a while by their Sector's other Lantern. I can only assume that her Sector's other Lantern is too inexperienced to do that." Artemis nods. "So Honour Guard Lantern Harold Jordan gets the job. Either that, or she's here to spy on me."

Artemis frowns. "Why would she spy on you? You tell.. Guy everything anyway."

"Because how can they trust that I do? And… This is weird. Guy… Studying green ring techniques… Fine, it would make more sense for him to do that on Oa, but they've had Honour Guard Lanterns on Oa for millennia who can't do what he can so sending him back to Earth makes sense. But a second Honour Guard Lantern on detached duty?"

Artemis stops, her frown deepening. Then she shakes her head.

"I don't think that's you, though. You've had the Ophidian for over a year. Maybe it's the.. Sheeda, or the Star Conquerors?"

"But you wouldn't put a Lantern just out of basic in a place which you knew was going to get invaded. You'd put them far enough away to be safeish but close enough that the Honour Guard Lantern assigned to them could travel there quickly. And… There isn't anything… Close to here that I can think of that would warrant that."

"Or maybe they just want to see if she can learn faster by learning your style right away?"

"That… Yes, I suppose… But why not assign her to Guy or John?"

"Because Guy's meant to be busy and John's not an Honour Guard?"

"I sup-."

Wallace appears in front of Artemis. "The Moon! How awesome was that?"

"Yeah, except now I'm worried that tomorrow's mission is gunna actually involve fighting like that."

Wallace frowns for a fraction of a second, then returns to full enthusiasm mode. "Nah. There's no way the League would send us out of the solar system, there aren't any space stations worth fighting in and M'gann hasn't said anything about us needing to go to Mars… So unless we're going under cover at Junior Astronaut Camp that can't be it."

He switches his gaze from Artemis to me and back again, then shakes his head in incomprehension.

"How are you not more stoked about it?"

"I dunno. Maybe if we'd had the Earth above us it would have been different?" Wallace looks a little heartbroken. "It was… Interesting, I guess?"

"You guess?"

I raise my right hand to my forehead. "See you tomorrow, Artemis."

"Wait, you're going h-?"

I appear in the… I don't want to say 'barracks', but they basically are. 'Habitation area' is a bit highfaluting.

"-a year and a half now."

Tula walks out of one of the unused rooms, Ghia'ta just behind her.

"Is that usual for human courtship?"

"It-" Her eyes flick to me and then return to Ghia'ta. "-varies a great deal from place to place."

Ghia'ta spots me and smiles. "Orange Lantern."

"Picked a room?"

"We've almost run out." Tula looks around the corridor, taking in all of the claimed rooms. "Unless someone wants to give their room up we're going to have to start sharing."

"That explains the conversation about your relationship with Garth-" She smiles. "-but actually that's a fair point. I'm not planning on moving back in, so… I don’t really need mine." I fix my eyes on Ghia'ta. "You want it, or is it going to feel wrong?"

"That would be perfect!" She beams. "Thank you!"

"Alright, it's just down here." I walk past the two of them in the direction of my soon-to-be ex-room. I originally kept it after I moved out because no one else wanted it and I thought it might be useful, but I haven't been back there once.

"Who was the woman I saw in your thoughts?"

"That was Jade."

"It's surprising. My Aunt told me that orange ring users would lose their other emotions, but I can feel your love for her."

"Maybe you're just better at that sort of feeling than other Zamarons. I know that when I took her and Alan to Zamaron, your countrywomen shot at us." She stops, and I turn to face her. "Not that I bear a grudge, but it was rather rude."

"I-. That was you?"

I widen my eyes slightly, attempting to see her desires. "I don't know that the event-."

"Ah!"

Ghia'ta back-pedals, bumping into Tula as she does so.

Uh, okay. Eyes off. Tula puts her right hand on Ghia'ta's left shoulder to steady her.

"Are you alright?"

"I-I didn't know you were… Like that."

"Thank you for that precise and helpful statement. I'm sorry I scared you, but I don't understand why you're so scared."

"It, um." Ghia'ta straightens up. "It was like having the Ophidian stare at me."

"And you're afraid of snakes?"

"The Ophidian wants to eat the universe and turn everyone I love into mindless…" She frowns faintly. "She doesn't, does she?"

"Not that I've noticed, and we spent several days as the same person."

Ghia'ta bows her head slightly. "That is why Star Sapphire Carol Ferris brought me here. I have a great deal to unlearn, as do all Zamarons."

Last edited: Oct 30, 2019
  19. Zeromaru2

Zeromaru2 Versed in the lewd.

Hey wanting to fix that makes you a much better Lantern than most of them.

20. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

So the Zamarons are ruled by fear? Ironic.

21. thebishop8

thebishop8 Umm, ackchyually...

*Or maybe they just

A period is needed at the end.

22. kinlyki

kinlyki Getting sticky.

Should be 'bear' a grudge, I believe.

23. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Does this mean we'll eventually see the Zamarons give an official apology to Paul? I feel that would be necessary if the Star Sapphires become an actual thing in this universe and become allied with the OLC.

24. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

Yeah... peeking at the emotions of Oans isn’t a good idea. It’s rude, and apparently kind of terrifying.

Navi-Hank likes this.
  25. NightmareWarden

NightmareWarden Versed in the lewd.

Ghia'ta.

I wonder if Zatanna or Paul will share their Nega-World adventure with Ghia'ta anytime soon. Ignoring any well-intentioned, but harmful relationship advice she could give, I think that world's Star Sapphire could bring significant changes to Paragon-verse's Zamarons.

For better or for worse.

26. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Oh, boy. I can't help but think Artemis has a sudden craving for popcorn right now... :D

Again, as long we don't see her acting on any sort of crush towards Jordan, I'm happy. (Seriously, that storyline was weird)

So her sector basically lost both assigned lanterns within a few months of each other, if not at the same time. That must suck. I expect honor guard lanterns are currently on patrol there?

Not everything is about you, OL.

I doubt the Guardians would care much about cross-temporal incursions, and a Star Conquerer outbreak would get more than one honour guard and a rookie assigned.

She's got a point there.

Seriously, voice of reason. OL's just overthinking matters.

A supervillian moonbase? Not likely. It's a lot harder to build and maintain that sort of thing without major schizotech or alien gear.

OL's a veteran space traveller, Wally. Of course he's bláse about it.

Love how OL just doesn't care. 'Teenagers' and all that.

Ah, already learning our human ways of Love, miss space-girl?

I'm sure OL would be happy to expand the quarters. Might have to adjust wards and the like.

Heh. I bet it still has traces of his prior occupation though. Hints of Orange light?

Enlightenment is a marvelous thing.

Whoa, spiritual equivalent of a Bad Touch, I bet!

Yep, definitely a bad reaction to empathic sight.
    Correction: missing full stop

Well, he did call the technique 'Ophidian's Eyes', once upon a time... :p

Wow, are the Zamarons out of date or what?

Don't quote Yoda... Don't quote Yoda...

Well, let's hope this initial scare doesn't put Ghia'ta off friendship with OL. And hopefully Arisia doesn't have as extreme a reaction either.

Ngamer11, Vorian, Gilhelmi and 13 others like this.
  27. TheMidnightRook

TheMidnightRook Well worn.

Well, given that Wally has elected to tempt fate, the team will clearly be taking a trip either out-system, to Mars, or to Junior Astronaut Camp sometime in the near future.

28. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

Bramble Thorn and AngelicKnight. like this.
  29. Sceptic

Sceptic Critical Irrationalist

But you didn't even object to "needing" menstruation at the end.

Buggy123 likes this.
  30. Scholar of Time

Scholar of Time Master of Lurking

Actually...she did. The Ophidian is an Ouroboros - a snake that eats its own tail. In the end, the Ophidian would consume itself in its hunger, after everything else....until Paul so helpfully pointed out that wanting opposing desires means that you zero-sum...and lose EVERYTHING, which is so anathema to the incarnation of avarice that it actually gained full-on Wisdom stats.