1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

Yay! Progress!!

2. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

everyone fears losing what they love

Cuchulin, Gilhelmi, Caerwen and 5 others like this.
  3. The Chosen One

The Chosen One Getting out there.

My understanding is that it's a recurring theme, that you can, in theory, frame any of the Lights in the terms of any other, and that finding a way to reduce ALL of the colors to various shades of your favorite is essentially what that brand of Enlightenment IS. After his stint as the Ophidian, Paul regained the ability to feel the full shape of love, fear etc. by suborning their origins and applications entirely to greed. To the point that he can project an emotion Ghia'ta recognizes as Love, without compromising his own Avarice-based abilities like a lesser Lantern would.

Presumably, the Zamarons do something similar, and literally experience their fears and such as a form of love.

Guy and the Guardians are a bit different, since the focus of Will is, you know, focus, which by its nature tends to function by excluding other emotions rather than integrating them.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2019
  4. jonasquinn

jonasquinn I trust you know where the happy button is?

It seems to me that the Zamarons are ridiculously easy to scare because love is their primary emotion all you have to do is be even slightly threatening to what they love and they'll be terrified of you, hence why they've maintained a policy of total isolation for millennia

5. Queshire

Queshire Not too sore, are you?

Sure, until you flip the switch and they go all mama bear on you.

Handlewithcare, DAT_NOOB and Ardy like this.
  6. nick012000

nick012000 Gone for Good

Or when they go full yandere, like most versions of Carol Ferris do, at least at first.

Also, pretty sure that Wally's wrong about there not being any satellites worth fighting in. He's forgotten the Sivanas' Venus base.

7. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

Does he know about it? If he does, it might be a matter of the Sivanas going good now.

8. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Did I miss something? Wasn't Carol -14 mentioned last update? Isn't she mentoring Ghia'ta?

DAT_NOOB and nick012000 like this.
  9. Senevri

Senevri Not too sore, are you?

I wonder what the canon was? But, I suppose Ophidian wants to own/have the universe.... Just, after Paul, she also wants it to retain it's uniqueness. Or something.

10. Grimnar

Grimnar Versed in the lewd.

OL to Zamoran: "Stare into my Snakes Eye".

DAT_NOOB, Navi-Hank and Buggy123 like this.
  11. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

I knew I could rely on you.

12. Ardy

Ardy I trust you know where the happy button is?

I kind of want OL to organize a field trip for the team to Maltus. Not necessarily as a learning experience but just as a “we can get you all proper armor here, you can explore a city of a thousand different species (mostly a species of 7-sexed insect), explore some space stations in case you ever need to learn how.... get you some proper armor.”

13. Gilhelmi

Gilhelmi Know what you're doing yet?

Wait, I feel like I am missing an important detail here.

How old is she? Because before, I was on-board with most ships, within reason. Now I am very concerned about the brief snippet I remember reading many years ago.

14. Sceptic

Sceptic Critical Irrationalist

Further evidence that Jamie Roberts was right...

15. SotF

SotF And Away We Go!

The Zamarons seem to have somewhat merged paranoia and love in definitions, especially when you consider how a lot of them seemed to operate as tsundere to full on bunny boiler with a lot of the comics until more recent periods when they seemed to have gotten a bit more contact outside of their immediate group and whoever ends up as the star sapphire.

Cuchulin and Navi-Hank like this.
  16. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Here's her DC wiki entry: Arisia Rrab
    Short version, she's from an alien world with a different length year. On her world she's a teenager, whose father was the previous sector lantern. Much like M'gaan, she's chronologically older than she appears, but still a teenager.

In the comics, she had a crush on Hal Jordan, and at one point (while the Guardians had left the universe with the Zamarons) she used her ring to age herself physically into an adult. Jordan was dating her for a time after that.

17. Gilhelmi

Gilhelmi Know what you're doing yet?

Well, at least time is relative to location. So as long as she is a legal adult on her world and on earth..... Still creeped out by the fact that she chronologically aged herself to date Hal, a dozen red flags there.

Chojin Patriarch and Navi-Hank like this.
  18. Mr Zoat

I seem to remember the 'different length year' thing being a retcon after someone realised exactly how creepy it was. However, I don't have a reference for when the year length was first put in the comics. Does anyone know?

19. infinityDivided

infinityDivided ******** of Doom

She physically aged herself up, which still makes her mentally a teenager in an adult's body.

20. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

I don't know what comic it was first applied, but when it was brought up, it was established that Graxos IV has a year length half as long as Earth.

So while being 14 in Earth years she was 28 in Graxion years.

[​IMG]

21. lefthandturnsignal

lefthandturnsignal Making the rounds.

So much is wrong with that whole plot, it's.... What's the onomatopoeia for the gagging and shuddering thing when someone is just thoroughly disgusted?

Lord Ernest and Ardy like this.
  22. Sceptic

Sceptic Critical Irrationalist

On the one hand that's a bloody stupid argument (equivalent to "But in cat year's I'm fifty!"), on the other hand that's a very teenager argument to make.

23. jaelin910

jaelin910 habitual lurker

Speaking of alien ages, I was doing some rereading and spotted this

IsActuallyBatman and Cuchulin like this.
  24. Threadmarks: Sprited Away (part 4)
    Mr Zoat

17th February
    22:32 GMT -5

I dump the last of my furniture into subspace, then turn to face Ghia'ta and Tula. "How do you want to decorate?"

"I think that I would like to use natural materials. Wood and linen."

"Alright, but if you don't want fluorescent light bulbs then good luck on getting Batman to sign off on candles or a wood fire." I frown. "And what are you planning on sleeping on?"

"Cloth? Is that not what humans sleep on?"

"Not in this part of the world." Tula smiles. "In Atlantis, the water takes our weight so we don't need anything to make the bed soft. But on the surface, their beds have metal springs."

"Oh."

"But we could probably make you a bed with natural sponge if you wanted. Not.. sure what it would be like to sleep on, mind you. Or some sort of linen hammock?"

"Sponge." Her eyes glow for a moment as her ring feeds her the information she wants. "I think that I will try that."

"Ooh, if you want to go totally crazy, we could have Euanthe make it out of living wood. She could probably work out how to make wooden bedsprings."

"Is Euanthe an arboriculturist?"

"Both the subject and the object." I point my left hand at her, then hesitate. "Are you alright with me sending you data packets?"

"I should be." She tentatively raises her right hand, her ring shimmering as she does so. "Could you think of the one you love while you do it?"

I take a moment to picture Alan when he made a tour of the cancer ward of the John Hopkins Hospital, the joy he clearly felt at being able to help people, to restore their hope.

"Sending."

A small ball of orange flies from my original ring and impacts hers. There's a sort of.. violet fizz around it for a moment, which puts me in mind of how Guy's ring used to crackle when he suppressed his anger. Her eyes flicker a moment later as she takes some of the information in. Or given that she's half-Maltusian I suppose that she might have taken in the whole thing.

"Why is your ring doing that?"

"I was raised in an environment of intense sororal love. Focusing on that.. helps me."

"What the heck have they been telling you about the other colours?"

"That.. green leads to close-mindedness-."

"Hah! I mean, they're not wrong, but you'd think they'd look in a mirror sometimes."

"What do you mean by that?"

"For all the disagreements I have with the Guardians, they've been using their light to fight.. what might tentatively be called 'evil', for millions of years. While your matrons have been sitting on their collective tod, aside from the occasional korugari booty call. Flipping Larfleeze managed to do more than that and he sat in a cave the whole time."

Tula frowns. "Wasn't Larfleeze the alien whom you fought for the Orange Central Power Battery? How did he do any good?"

"He drew the most avaricious beings in the galaxy to him and killed them. We've gone over the rings he made from them to get details of their personal histories and they were some nasty pieces of work." I look away. "And it wasn't really a fight."

"As uncomfortable as hearing you say that makes me, I believe the same thing. That is why I am so grateful that Dame Carol is giving me this opportunity. I believe that the violet light of love should be spread across the galaxy, so that all people can feel the same joy and security that I have always known."

I nod, smiling.

"Do you.. feel the same?"

"I don't know. I don't know what the galaxy would look like with an active Star Sapphire Corps. I can't say that I'm invested in the idea, but I am curious. So if you want to make it happen, go for it."

"Why?"

I shake my head. "I don't understand. And while I could take a look I'm sure you'd rather that I didn't."

She nods, then stops, frowning. "Why don't you mind?"

"Why should I?"

"Because it wouldn't be yours. I could understand that you want there to be an Orange Corps because it is yours, but I don't understand why you would want there to be other Corps."

"You accept that I can still feel love?"

She nods.

"I feel anger, fear, determination, hope, compassion and love. These feelings are mine. They are a part of how I see the universe, how the universe I exist in is. Why would I want to cut away one part of myself? Why would I want to make myself less than I am? Why would I make myself a part of the orange light rather than make it a part of me?"

She nods uncertainly. "The woman who you love. Where is she?"

"On a planet on the periphery of Reach space."

"And that doesn't trouble you?"

"I love Jade as she is, not as some best match to a fantasised ideal woman I have in my head. Jade needs to fight and to feel useful, purposive. She hates to be dependent; that's something we share. But I'm very powerful. I realised early on that she'd.. be better off establishing herself somewhere away from me so that we could approach each other as equals. I do miss her, but this is what's best for her, for our relationship in the long term. I want her to be herself to the fullest extent that that's possible."

I lean forward.

"I don't intend to seal her in a giant block of orange crystal."

Tula frowns. "Of course not. Why would you even…" Ghia'ta is looking down. "Ghia'ta?"

"… Yes. That is why Dame Carol wants me to learn about love from you, from the people of Earth. Some.. Zamarons… Think that things should be… Different."

"Yes. Monochromatism can have some unfortunate effects. And that's why-" I pull Drakul Karfang's ring off my finger and toss it to her. She doesn't catch it, but she doesn't flinch too much. "-I want you to try using that as well as your own."

"Because you do not want me to become fixated."

"Because I hope that you don't want to end up like that either. You followed your desires to come here when you could have stayed in the loving embrace of your sisterhood. I think you might make a good Orange Lantern, too."

"You have done all you can to allow the one you love to flourish. I think that you might make a good Star Sapphire as well."

I hold out my right hand and smile expectantly.

She looks slightly awkward.

"But I don't have a spare ring for you to prove it."

Last edited: Oct 31, 2019
  25. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

The various corps' ought to set up a trade system where lanterns who sign up can wear all the rings, to see what its like.

At the same time, on the same finger.

26. Bigking321

Bigking321 Not too sore, are you?

Mmmm... nice.

I like this chapter. Nice logical outreach and communication. Potential for interesting stuff later.

My favorite kind of chapter. I'm invested in where this goes.

27. Ardy

Ardy I trust you know where the happy button is?

It's always a bad sign when Paul says this.

Hm... Maybe if he mugged Jordan and locked his ring in a giant block of pink crystal they might be able to turn it into a spare!

Also hooray for white light shaman step 2!

28. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Alright. How many people are they going to have to free from violet crystal stasis?

29. kinlyki

kinlyki Getting sticky.

Humans cannot achieve that. At most, probably 3 rings on the same finger.

30. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Is mutual ring exchange like exchanging tricots after football? :D

Also I don't understand part of the update.

Ghia'ta asks "Why" and Pauls says "I don't understand". Not understand what?

Navi-Hank, doug89 and Cuchulin like this.