1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

General chat thread

Discussion in 'General' started by Nanimani, Dec 27, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Mistodon

Mistodon Invading the city of Alexandria

The lack of Dungeon Meshi fics that aren't pairing one-shots saddens me. The only place I can actually find a category for it is AO3.

2. KaliYugaFan

KaliYugaFan Free all the homies

After being on FFN and other fanfiction circles for about a decade now, I can say this with full confidence. If I had a choice between ending world hunger, curing cancer, stopping all the wars in the middle east, or depriving every member of Critics United internet access for the rest of their lives, there'd still be hungry, sick and wartorn people. I'd go to bed easy every night, however, knowing those fucking dweebs can't shit up the internet with their pretentious bullshit.

Venyr4434 and CrossyCross like this.
  3. Jace Spicer

Jace Spicer Experienced.

I have yet to figure out who decided they should go and curate FANFICTIOn of all fucking thing and by curate I mean bully authors into doing what they want without repercussions is absolutely ridiculous. Quite frankly I wish they would all jump into a spike pit and never come out.

Venyr4434 and KaliYugaFan like this.
  4. KaliYugaFan

By far the worst thing is how they all sign their reviews with their username and then Critics United, as if it's some kind of fucking Honors Society or Workers Union; such absolutely pretentious cunts these people are.

Venyr4434 and CrossyCross like this.
  5. Vinylshadow

Vinylshadow Megalomaniacal Toaster on a Keyboard

Another year older, another year wiser. Got treated to some mexican courtesy of a fast food employee, who asked out of the blue when my birthday was and was nonplussed that it was on the exact day they asked

Also picked up the last two pieces to my poké ball collection, so I'm happy

6. Priapus

Priapus Engorged member

I suppose that a pokeball collection is probably much easier to finish than a pokemon collection. Way to make achievable goals, my friend?

Vinylshadow likes this.
  7. Ragnarok

Ragnarok Well worn.

I am going to kumoricon in Portland, Oregon this weekend. These types of events usually aren't my scene but hopefully it turns out all right

zachol and Metraxa like this.
  8. KaliYugaFan

As a fellow PNW bro, I can tell you Kumoricon is pretty fun.

9. Priapus

Priapus Engorged member

Is that a convention for fans of cloudy weather, or something?

10. Fenrir

Fenrir Bites The Dust!

11. KaliYugaFan

Priapus likes this.
  12. Fenrir

Fenrir Bites The Dust!

Oh that is a concern, but the fact that Elric is getting adapted is something that pleases me. Hope for the best, prepare for the possibilities of how they'll potentially mess it up.

Priapus likes this.
  13. kinglugia

kinglugia A Randy Avian

What is Elric?

14. Fenrir

Fenrir Bites The Dust!

Elric of Melnibone is a character created by writer Michael Moorcock. He in kind of the Anti Conan: a physically frail albino sorcerer, goes from emperor to mercenary, and contacts many gods to help him thanks to various pacts made by his ancestors(unlike Conan who uses his god's name as an expletive).

His people the Melniboneans are the basis for the Drow, and the Dark Elves/Eldar.

The Chaos star used by Warhammer was created by Moorcock.

bryanfran36 and Priapus like this.
  15. kinglugia

kinglugia A Randy Avian

Reminds me of Stormbringer.

16. Fenrir

Fenrir Bites The Dust!

Stormbringer is Elric's sword.

17. kinglugia

kinglugia A Randy Avian

Ah, that explains why it felt really familiar.

18. RedStarMini

RedStarMini God's weakest ADHD Author

Man I really have to get through my FGO and BNHA backlogs so I can feel better about continuing my quests

19. Ragnarok

Ragnarok Well worn.

Watching Overly Sarcastic Productions Trope Talk by Red and she's talking about protagonists losing their powers. And I immediately thought of an episode of Superman the Animated Series where this villain builds a red Sun projector to deprive Superman of his powers and decides to punch Superman in the face. Reality ensues when you realize that even without his powers, Superman is still a really beefy 6 ft 2 guy, and the villain is a weedy nerd that's like 6 in shorter than him. The Man of Steel immediately wipes the floor with him.

Priapus and GhostHaxStomp like this.
  20. Jace Spicer

Jace Spicer Experienced.

Yeah...this the same guy who managed to block out the sun entirely for the longest amount of time?

If so, superman was losing his powers and weak af, basically a normal man and able to be killed and I think fucked around and didn't kill him then lost the machine causing the overcast weather and got his ass beat.

I tell you man, the superman villains who get close to killing him and then just brag or boast or some bullshit wow the fuck out of me.

Edit: Found the episode: Solar Power. This genius of a man had made a machine to filter out the yellow sunlight so superman wasn't getting any type of help from that and was steadily losing power. He had the complete upper hand and squandered it.

Like honestly he had the man dead to rights: There was really no need for him to use the gun or anything. Superman was essentially powerless and easily defeatable. Boggles the mind.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2019
    Venyr4434 and GhostHaxStomp like this.
  21. CrossyCross

CrossyCross LADY OF LOVE

"The difference between comedy and tragedy is whether or not you care."

Someone said this, I don't know who, but I think it's fairly accurate.

"A single death is a tragedy. A million is a statistic." Supposedly from Stalin. The spirit of the quote is fairly accurate too, and supported by biology (see Dunbar's Number).

I have a very dark sense of humor.
    I see a meme of crippled african children and I laugh, because I am distant to Africa and I have grown inured to such black humor.
    I read about a man murdering an unpunished priest who raped him and others as a child and I cheer, because it excites my inner desire for righteous retribution.
    Watch a video of a man blowing off his hand from sheer stupidity (masses of fireworks in a barrel) and I snicker, thinking him an idiot who deserved what he got.
    I saw the christchurch shooting, and though I condemn the coward who did it (the piece of shit got scared and fled when in one of the later targets, one man grabbed one of his empty guns and threw it at his car, and he bailed), I found myself perfectly composed watching it.
    I've personally seen a man die (car crash with a motorcycle whose rider ended up near our car as he died), and I've watched some rather gruesome shit, but at most I was shaken.

But there is a limit even to me. It doesn't happen often, but it has happened before, and it just happened today.

I read about Junko Furuta.

The only thing you need to know if you don't have iron nerves is that she was a vibrant young japanese girl who was kidnapped by teenagers with links to yakuza, and was raped and tortured for over forty days before dying. The worst part is that her killers effectively walked away with slaps on the wrist, or avoided justice entirely because they were not identified.
    If you want more details, search for her. You'll get results easily enough, but you better be able to hold in your stomach because it was bad. It was very bad.

I just...felt like I needed to vent somehow. I was having an okay day. This is now a bad day. I think it is going to be a bad week. My thoughts are filled with how monstrous humans can get, and how there is no justice in the world. Not just because of this, but of many other horrible things that are so blatantly in the public eye that amounted to nothing. It's a depressing spiral of thought, and my eyes are constantly on the verge of tears as I remember the others that truly distressed me.

It's not every day my composure gets broken like this. Though I think I notice now that it happens the most when I only read the text, when the details I read are clinically written and my mind conjures such horrifying images. A girl's smiling school picture, a case file's clinically-worded horrors, and I spiral into this.

I don't have much faith in humanity or the christian god or even a higher power. But today I prayed for someone's soul and I wished terrible things would happen to those that violated her who have the unfair audacity to be free men.

I just...the world isn't fair. I've always thought that, but today the words are especially harsh. The world is terrible and unjust and I feel guilty, living and breathing and in some measure of comfort, when Junko Furuta and many others suffered in the most terrible of ways.

I know it will pass, but today and for quite a number of days after it will remain, and the world will seem a place too horrid and dark.

Forgive me, if this post troubles you. I needed to let it out somehow, and this is how I chose to do it.

22. LurkingInTheDeceit

LurkingInTheDeceit “Brave” explorer treading “New” land

Looked her up... the details of what they did reads like a torture fiction with an author deliberately going out their way to make it as fucked up as possible, but y’know real life. It also shows how hypocritical/selfish people can be, when one of the murderers mother desecrated her grave because she “ruined her sons life”?!? Like... what?

Venyr4434, Imabot, Priapus and 2 others like this.
  23. CrossyCross

CrossyCross LADY OF LOVE

The human capacity for cruelty and evil is limitless.

Not all are like them, but many monsters in human skin are born every day.

It's why for most of a decade up to now, I've never thought that a fictional villain was too evil. I may gripe if an action was too dumb or contrived since that's not entertaining and just feels stupid, but too evil? These are villains. They are meant to be the scum of man, and there is no depth too low for their kind.

The same can also be said for man's ability to be selfish and hypocritical and think only of themselves and their monkeysphere. It is sickening.

24. LurkingInTheDeceit

Wildly different topic and complete unrelated to anything else, Bring Me the Horizon’s new EP is called: ahem *clears throat*

Music to listen to~dance to~blaze to~pray to~feed to~sleep to~talk to~grind to~trip to~breathe to~help to~hurt to~scroll to~roll to~love to~hate to~learn Too~plot to~play to~be to~feel to~breed to~sweat to~dream to~hide to~live to~die to~GO TO.

like... what?

Priapus likes this.
  25. Priapus

Priapus Engorged member

I guess the implication is that it is meant to be an accompaniment to anything, and also that they thought an arbitrary long name would be attention-grabbing or something.

LurkingInTheDeceit likes this.
  26. LurkingInTheDeceit

The longest album name they’ve had in the past was:

There Is a Hell Believe Me I've Seen It. There Is a Heaven Let's Keep It a Secret.

Which is longer than normal titles, but they really went to an extreme with this one. It’s not annoying or anything (I’d post it in the petty or general bitching thread if it was), just... why?

Priapus likes this.
  27. Priapus

Priapus Engorged member

Why not, I guess.

Even if it sounds like someone's grandpa really likes it, but has no capacity to explain why, and just rambles on.

LurkingInTheDeceit likes this.
  28. LurkingInTheDeceit

Forum question: how does the necro rule interact with non-story threads that are more about discussion? Like, if the SB/SV/QQ rant threads weren’t posted in in over a month or two or six, could you safely post without breaking the necro rule?

29. BlackHadou

BlackHadou A Resting Bui

If its a meaningful contribution, yes.

Priapus likes this.
  30. LurkingInTheDeceit

Now I’m interested in what counts as a meaningful contribution in the thread I’m thinking about? I’m probably not gonna risk it (mostly because I don’t care enough about posting in comparison to keeping a clean record) but the thread was the ‘which hand do you use to masturbate’ one.