1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

Yeah, might be worth changing the thread mark / reposting the second part of the chapter separately.

2. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

Well, technically, he's just taking one particular brand of mass-market chocolate very seriously. But, yeah, it is his chocolate so he cares deeply about it.

3. Cuchulin

Cuchulin Versed in the lewd.

Which generally helps improve chocolate for everyone else even if they don't favor the same brand of chocolate.

4. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

I agree with that in the general case with the improvements Paul is making to the world. However, I fail to see a plausible link between Cadbury's being a better version of itself and that having any impact on chocolate for everyone else.

w34v3r and Cuchulin like this.
  5. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

Kraft buys Cadbury’s -> cheap Cadbury chocolate is worse -> Companies don’t have to compete on quality of cheap chocolate -> companies compete on price with Kraft, making taste worse.

Kraft doesn’t buy Cadbury’s -> good chocolate stays the same price -> cheap chocolate in same price range now has to compete on quality.

Speaking of... I kind of want to see Zoat come up with an original minor villain that wouldn’t exist in any other DC canon without Paul being there. Like, buying Cadbury’s leads to an angry unionizer becoming Chocolate Man / Kraftsman (sort of like condiment King, but it’s all artificial garbage, and therefore more dangerous) - with the goal of ruining Cadbury’s forever....

Maybe have Kraft be run by Egghead.

As for actually having him be some sort of threat... (if that’s actually necessary) maybe make his gadgets use actual alchemy to do magical things based on bad food puns?

Last edited: Nov 2, 2019
  6. Cuchulin

Cuchulin Versed in the lewd.

Seconded! It sounds like a fun idea.

IsActuallyBatman likes this.
  7. Threadmarks: Sprited Away (part 6)
    Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

18th February
    13:00 GMT

Beryl catches the newly relaunched Dairy Milk with Biscuit as she walks across the battlements of Sheldrake Castle, smiling as she realises what it is. "How was the moon?"

"Grey, dusty, in orbit around the Earth. Usual moon stuff."

"You know it's technically a dwarf planet."

"The barycentre is under the Earth's surface. If it wants to be its own planet then it's free to leave. Ready?"

"Yes, let's get this-"

I attach a filament to her head and transition-

18th February
    07:00 GMT -6

-us to the St Roche zeta tube. While I could have gone right to Mount Justice -it's not like our principal enemies don't know exactly what we use it for- I feel that a minimal effort to keep random tourists from visiting all the time is worthwhile.

"-show on the road."

She steps lightly into the zeta tube-

"Recognized, Squire, B One Five."

-and I follow her through.

18th February
    08:01 GMT -5

"Recognized, Orange Lantern, B Zero Six."

Batman's briefing isn't for another half an hour, and we'll be splitting up into sub-teams for planning after that. Actually carrying the mission out could be an all-weekend thing, which makes me very glad that I got out of returning to school. I really don't know how the others manage it.

"Arisia, right? I'm Squire. Pleased to meet you."

Beryl walks over to greet our team mate, who smiles politely back at her. Unlike Ghia'ta, Arisia is living off-base. I'm… Aware of the relationship between her and Jordan in the comics, but I.. don't think anything like that is happening here. Given that she's wearing an actual uniform rather the corset and miniskirt that she ended up wearing in the comics I'd guess that she's still in wide-eyed fangirl mode rather than actively trying to seduce him.

I hope so, anyway.

Living out of the mountain is probably a good choice for her. Unlike Ghia'ta, Arisia can actually pass as human; I've seen plenty of fake tans producing stranger shades of skin than that and her hair covers her ears pretty well. With us being on separate teams yesterday and her and Jordan leaving the moment we were all back we didn't get much of a chance to talk, which is something I need to fix.

"Like-" Her eyes alight on me for a moment, then she gives Beryl her full attention. "-wise."

"Aren't you one of the Green Lantern trainees who attacked Paul when he visited Oa?"

She looks away awkwardly. "That.. was a mistake."

"'Attacked' might be overstating it. I assume that Kilowog and Jordan have gotten your construct strength up a little since then?"

"Do you want to find out?"

Ring glow… Yes, that's a little bit brighter than when we met -I'm not going to think 'fought'- on Oa, and I'm sure that it'll be easier to focus in a scheduled training spar rather than a random encounter like our original meeting.

"I will have to get an idea of what you can do, but this isn't really the time. Did Jordan tell you about our regular all-Lantern training sessions?" She nods. "Are you coming along, or does he want to make sure that you're up to it first?"

"I'll be there."

"Good show. Alan's wanted to teach someone for a while, but he couldn't teach me when I was first starting and-."

"What-" Beryl is looking at my left hand. "-happened to your third ring? Did you recruit someone again?"

"Not exactly. I gave it to Ghia'ta to experiment with. The Zamarons were rather down on the orange light and I want her to learn that it isn't as toxic as she's been led to believe. Now, Lantern Rrab, the reason why I wanted to talk to you before we get our marching orders today is that I want to go over your equipment."

"Equipment? I only needed armour for low gravity training because I wasn't allowed to use my ring. Power rings are the most powerful and adaptable weapon in the universe."

I raise my left hand and flare the two I'm still wearing. I had wondered why she only wanted a minimalist setup yesterday, but I assumed that was because she didn't have time to train with something more sophisticated before we were due to start.

"Yes. Rings.. alone.. aren't enough on Earth. You remember the armour I was wearing on Oa?" She nods. "It shouldn't be too hard to fit you out with something like that. Solid protection against a wide variety of attacks, several useful integrated systems and as a Lantern you can store it in subspace when you're not using it. You'll also need a spell eater, or some other form of magic protection."

Arisia glances at Beryl, who nods and pulls her own amulet out of her tabard to show her.

"Does Graxos have a native magic tradition? I've never visited."

"No it.. doesn't. But I've seen enough in Hal's fil-. Ah, Lantern Jordan's files to take it seriously. Can you make one fit a bracelet?"

"Bracelet, no. Bracer, yes. But a necklace might be better; magic artefacts take a lot of charge to move into or out of subspace and if it starts to overheat you might need to get it off quickly."

"Do you have a version which doesn't catch fire?"

"Certainly. How do you feel about tattoos?"

"W-? Why?"

Beryl nods at me, grinning. "You should show her."

"Beryl, I'm in a relationship."

"You wear less on the beach. Come on, everyone should see your tattoos at least once."

I sigh quietly, then look at Arisia. "Do you want to see my tattoos?"

"Um. Yes?"

I subspace my shirt and jacket. "I'm not sure if the people who did these-" She's staring intently. "-could make them work on an alien, but they're what I use to throw off basic ring scans and they work on normal magic tracking as well. So anyway: spell eater, and I want to start getting you used to heavier armour and training to use conventional weapons."

Jacket back on and ignore Beryl's disappointment. I don’t think that she's in danger of becoming Zatanna Mark 2 so much as expressing a healthy interest in the other sex as is perfectly normal for a young woman of her age, but I'm still not.. entirely comfortable with the situation.

"I don't know about armour. Lanterns usually-."

"Arisia, how many members of your family have died in the service of the Green Lantern Corps?"

Her face grows sombre. "All of them. My grandfather, mother, father and uncle have all died for the good of my Sector."

"You're on my team now. Part of mine. Which means that keeping you alive is my responsibility. Orange Lanterns wear armour and you will too because your death is not acceptable to me. Four members of your family are dead and Earth is more dangerous than your Sector. You might be some sort of one-per-generation power ring genius who doesn't need it but most people do. Guy Gardner wears armour and carries a sidearm, as do Lantern Stewart and Lantern Savenlovich. Do you think you're better than the Host of Ion?"

She takes a thoughtful breath. "No. Okay, I see your point. What do you have in mind?"

8. w34v3r

w34v3r Versed in the lewd.

Is Rayner going to be mad that Paul corrupted his student so fast?

Because he was the one terran lantern not listed as carrying extra gear.

9. BR549

BR549 This is filth! FILTH!!

Hal, not Kyle.

10. w34v3r

Ok so that's two terran green lanterns who weren't listed. Why are they being stubborn about this?

Also how many lanterns does this planet have?

Seriously, at this rate there's going to be more rings on earth than on Oa.

Cuchulin, Navi-Hank and DAT_NOOB like this.
  11. Nioz

Nioz Know what you're doing yet?

You know, this is probably what got her past the tipping point.

dunno whether that’s sad or not.

Caerwen, Cuchulin, Old Knife and 7 others like this.
  12. Z000

Z000 If this is trash, then find me in the dumpster

5 green ( 3 regular and 2 recruit)
    3 pink ( Alt-Carol, 2 Zamazon)
    1 orange ( Paul)
    1 blue ( Alan)

10 Lantern so far unless i miss some one

13. Ganurath

Ganurath Apologizes For Nothing

Not all the Lanterns in Sector 2814 are on Earth, for the record.

14. Lokpik

Lokpik Not too sore, are you?

I just live how to Paul talks about earth when in space. A kyrptonian is a planetary threat in several systems, earth figured out how to kill them several wayd. We have five lanterns stationed at earth for sector 2184. And of course his giving the freeze Ray to the lantern during the bloom incident. Earth is going to have a bad/badass rep

15. w34v3r

More like the reputation of being an insane death world.

16. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

Yeah, this is part of why a lot of aliens in the know find Earth disturbing.

Yeah, pretty much.

17. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Eh, it's always subordinate to Earth in most people's minds (Sailor Moon notwithstanding.)

For reference, that's the pont of orbital rotation of two large-mass bodies in mutual orbit.

And she's so used to Ring transition that she doesn't even react. Boy, rookies to the team have a lot of experiences to look forwards to, don't they?

One case where a Silent Mode is not needed...

With lots of random disappearances and hilarious confusion, no doubt.

Thank goodness. For now. Hopefully OL can dissuade her from any ambitions in that respect...

Definitely. gotta build that reputation bonus with new NPC Allies, after all. ;)

I'm sure she's had plenty of words from Kilowog and Jordan about that. No need to remind her...

Might want to shave some of that teenage aggression down a peg...

Which I bet he still wishes could have been otherwise.

Ah, Beryl. So observant. As for Arisia, she's in for a treat. and a lesson or two.

And there's her first lesson: Tool, not Weapon.

Second lesson: Earth is Bullshit Crazy.

This isn't a fashion show, Recruit. Altering the size would alter the capacity...

Eh, the burn is a good warning of magical attack.

"You just want me to take my shirt off, don't you?"

She wants to see what's so fascinating, doesn't she? At least he asked this time. I remember that time he doffed his shirt without warning and dazed a couple of young ladies. (Don't ask for a chapter reference, I don't remember it that well.)

And I think he just got Arisia's interest in more ways than one, there.

Seriously, her family must be badass for so many lanterns. Also telling that so many were recruited in such a short time...

And this is where OL rolls out the construct display racks of armor and weapon designs... :D

Well, Arisia isn't hostile. That's a good start. Now to see if you can keep her from learning bad Greenie habits...

18. Irked

Irked Experienced.

Wait since when was Savenlovich a lantern? is something screwy going on?

Navi-Hank and DAT_NOOB like this.
  19. Z000

a Death World is a place where the environment and native animal are out to get you, giant animal, super plant and hyper weather make a Death World

by this metric, Earth isn't a Death World, our native life is pretty tame, there only a few place where super/arcane predator/plant exist, weather is pretty mild, super weather rarely happen

Earth is a place where the random weirdo you pump into on the street can just get super power/learn magic/make super tech after a bad day and a week searching the net and reading some book they found on a yard sale

the greatest warrior in the universe go here to get their ass kick by weirdo in costume

Earth not dangerous, the sapient humanoid species live on Earth are dangerous

what do you even call a place like that

20. Ganurath

Ganurath Apologizes For Nothing

She got the position when Hal and Guy were promoted to Honor Guard. It made Paul all nettled because Alan didn't get it.

21. w34v3r

Central City.

Oh crap. Earth is Space Central City.

22. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Nah, she was shown way back.

Gilhelmi likes this.
  23. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

You know, at sme point someone may have said "You know what? Let's stop recruitng them before the entire bloodline is wiped out"

24. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

a while back paul was annoyed when alan was passed over for her

25. Z000

i think we make joke about Earth being space Australia at some point

w34v3r, Vorian, DAT_NOOB and 4 others like this.
  26. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

Arisia’s sector probably gets a lot of the dangerous things that just barely miss Earth. Though most of the people before her died fighting serious threats - and not protecting their own sectors specifically - her father did die fighting LEGION and saving his sector, but his successor died Leroy Jenkinsing the Emphatistar - a moving star that increases emotions (in this case, willpower) around it and is yellow on the inside while Orange on the outside. That guy’s successor died in the war with Quard, after which Arisia was chosen.

In addition, the ring chooses people based on willpower amount - and doesn’t care about bloodline directly. In this case, the family possesses high willpower and none of the higher ups were paying enough attention to ensure the bloodline wasn’t wiped out - and Arisia could probably have asked to give the ring to someone else in her sector if she didn’t want it.

27. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

The moon is not a dwarf planet - it’s larger than those we know, yes, but the official definition of dwarf planet still says that it has to orbit directly around the sun. Which the moon does not, since it orbits the Earth.
    Moreover, the definition that classified the Moon - and therefore the Earth - as double planets - and therefore Dwarf planets - was proposed in 2015 - after this fic takes place (I think). It was then rejected.

P.S.: sorry about split post.

These are the 5 known dwarf planets (might be a little outdated, but probably not)
    [​IMG]

28. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Kyle Rayner is a high school student at this point. He's never even seen a power ring.

29. Aeess

Aeess I trust you know where the happy button is?

Has the SI considred recruiting him? He seems like would be a good fit considering that in the comics hes one of the few actually creative Lanterns and did use a orange ring at one point without going crazy for too long.

30. Chaoswind

Chaoswind Lord of nonsense

Can we get the elf girl to become the new low key fan girl of Paul? Since we lost Dana Dearden to the legion of super heroes a thousand years in the future.

Paul needs more potential Yandere girls in his life... I also would LOVE IT if Dame Carol recruits Zatanna as a pink lantern now that the Zamarrons are making rings themselves.

Drama is the spice of life specially drama that happens to someone else.

Ngamer11, Cuchulin, Gilhelmi and 2 others like this.