1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. TheEyes

TheEyes Well worn.

Heh, I've seen other fics where Earth is described as the red light district of the galaxy. :D

Really Paul should just explain how one of the Endless was imprisoned on Earth for awhile. If that's not enough to make a Lantern wary then frankly she kind of deserves what she gets.

Why do you hate Zatanna? Poor girl is trying to get over pink purple light addiction and you think she needs a Ring of Yandere?

2. Z000

Z000 If this is trash, then find me in the dumpster

purple is Indigo = Compassion

Pink = Violet

Cuchulin likes this.
  3. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Briefly. But while comics Rayner's constructs are more 'fanciful' than those of most of his contemporaries, they weren't particular functional. And Rayner 16 doesn't read have having a strong emotional resonance.

4. Tasoli

Tasoli Keyboard Warrior

When did that happen? I think I missed it.

5. Chaoswind

Chaoswind Lord of nonsense

Time travel shenanigans episode that introduced time trapper Paul, at the end Dana Dearden got left behind in the year 3000... A complete waste of a complex character if you ask me... But c'est la vie.

Prince Charon and Gilhelmi like this.
  6. Jirachi

Jirachi I trust you know where the happy button is?

I feel like this is overly harsh - by this standard of 'good enough for earth', the only people who would pass would be the lanterns and maybe a handful of the magic types. In practice, it seems mostly like having armor like that (beyond just having a spell eater) is a useful edge with some interesting edge use cases, but not a decisive advantage. The 'needing it' angle is at best a manipulative framing of a true fact.

7. Breadnaught

Breadnaught Experienced.

Dude, we ARE the native animal life. And DC humans are fucked up.

A Death World. You call it a Death World.

8. Ardy

Ardy I trust you know where the happy button is?

Batman: “Orange Lantern. Why do I have a report of you staring through the windows of a public high school muttering to yourself about a student not being ‘emotionally prepared for your snake’ yet?”

9. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

To refine the statement... A dwarf planet can't be a satellite of another object (except for a star, which doesn't count), which rules out moons. Of course, that's what Paul's retort is all about.

That list is out of date. There's at least one additional dwarf planet that's been confirmed (Gonggong) and at least three more that some scientists assert qualify as such (Sedna, Orcus, Quaoar) but haven't been officially given the designation. (And then Haumea might end up being reclassified away from being a dwarf planet.)

Cuchulin likes this.
  10. AidanMorgan

AidanMorgan Essentially Overworked

You know, I think Paul really enjoys when he gets to be all smug like this.

It's rather fun to read, too.

Buggy123 and Prince Charon like this.
  11. Rebu

Rebu hey, little Anna, you're the one

Space Australia, I think.

Cuchulin likes this.
  12. AtomicGeneral25

AtomicGeneral25 Insert Creativity Here

Earth, its a perfectly nice place to live and do business, right up until you run into one of the thousands of things that can kill you in ways you won't find anywhere else. Just like Australia ;p

Gilhelmi, Rebu and Cuchulin like this.
  13. TheMidnightRook

TheMidnightRook Well worn.

Gotta be careful though, or a Space-Dingo'll eat your Space-Baby.

14. Ganurath

Ganurath Apologizes For Nothing

No, no, Insane Death World fits better. The key word is Insane. Australia is basically British Texas, so Space Australia would be Space British Texas, which while odd doesn't do justice to the sheer nuttiness of the DC setting.

Cuchulin and w34v3r like this.
  15. w34v3r

w34v3r Versed in the lewd.

The thing is that it's not so much the lethality that's unique to earth, there is incredibly lethal shit all over the place, including whole planets capable of hating you in particular, Darkseid, random access to the shadowlands, the old demon gods of thanagar, formerly larfleeze. What's unique to earth is that it's full of people who look at shit on par with all that, tell Igor to hold their beer, and then proceed to macguyver the universe into letting them in on the fun with the equivalent of some chewing gum and paperclips.

16. Sceptic

Sceptic Critical Irrationalist

Just a shame about the inhabitants.

Dang, "Space Australia" is sounding more appropriate all the time... :D

Cuchulin likes this.
  17. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

You underestimate Australia - It’s like Texas crossed with Florida’s insanity crossed with a healthy dose of WTF is that thing? If Lovecraft has ever learned about Australia, he’d stop writing sci-di start writing nature books. There’s a reason dropbears are associated with Australian Everglades. Pandas are mean bastards.

dogbertcarroll and Cuchulin like this.
  18. Threadmarks: Sprited Away (supplementary, Renegade option)
    Mr Zoat

18th February
    13:00 GMT +8

Dr Chen can't help but look a little nervous as he reads the summary on the current conditions of the surviving induced-telepathy volunteers.

Hm.

Yeah.

Even with all of the medical information that I've taken from the Institute, re-engineering the human brain to support telepathy is hard. Brains that don't start out as telepathic just… I'm not going to say can't handle the input, but they don't cope well.

Which raises an interesting question about delayed-manifestation telepathy. There's a sort of assumption in the community that if someone 'gets' telepathy late in life, then it's just like any other random metahuman trait. Except we've tried forcing it and it hasn't worked. So… Does that mean that it was always there at a low level? Or that the metahuman 'activation' causes all of the other changes which need to occur in the brain to support the new sense to develop at the same time?

Of course, the chance of me finding someone who went through that change with the before and after brain scans I'd need…

I nod solemnly. "Alright, thank you. It's disappointing, but hardly unexpected." Despite what Lonnie was intimating to me, this isn't the Mao era. The people sitting around the meeting room table aren't worried that I'm about to have them sent to spend the rest of their natural lives… Growing rice or milking cows, or whatever it was the Party used to do to intellectuals with insufficient revolutionary zeal. "Send me a message directly if any of them start becoming coherent."

He nods, and returns to his seat.

This is exactly why I'm trying to add tetrachromacy to the next wave of volunteers. There are humans with it, and merely adding a colour should be far simpler than adding something exotic. Then I can monitor how their brains adapt and try and work out how to build from that. Sure, unlike naturally occurring instances I'm mostly inducing it in men, but I'm working with the materials I have.

The other strand of research is some sort of forced regeneration of neural matter. While that should allow the brain to adapt to the new node more easily, the side effects to partially unmapping a human consciousness… Not great.

Though the prison authorities did agree to an early release, so… Yay?

"Alright, next-." Zhifu strides into the room, glancing briefly over the other researchers before gazing pointedly at me. "General. What can I do for you?"

"I need to speak with you alone."

I nod. "Understood." I smile at my team. The team, really; they're very definitely in the employ of the Standing Committee on Metahuman Affairs rather than me personally, but I'm the lead of the project. Heck, I'm the reason why there is a project. They do a lot of the legwork while frantically trying to work out how to replicate what I'm doing with human technology. "Ladies and gentlemen, please take a short break. I'll come and find you when I need you."

Nods, muttered mentions of tea and other office chatter accompany some of China's greatest biology researchers as they file out, leaving myself and my silver-skinned friend alone in the meeting room. He doesn't have a lot of the tells normal humans have; I still haven't found a way to perfectly replicate human body language and facial expression with his durlan-altered body. But he doesn't look annoyed.

"So… What can I do for you?"

"We were able to capture a durlan infiltrator."

I blink in surprise. "Alive?"

"No, but in a human-seeming form."

I nod. "I'm guessing that you want to see if my rings and Mother Box can get you any data that your own scanners can't?"

"That was the eventual decision, yes, but there was some… Debate."

Certainly surprised it took this long for someone in party HQ to notice me.

"If I'm causing you trouble, I can clear out my desk..?"

"No, that is not necessary. It is simply that the Chairman Jiang had an… Encounter with members of the politburo who are sceptical of the benefits of our working relationship. Hearing the list of things which you have informed us you will not help us achieve was unedifying."

"I'm happy to explain my reservations directly, if that would take some of the heat off the Chairman?"

"That would merely undermine him." He takes a seat a short distance down the table from me. "Would you like to hear the list?"

"Hit me."

"The oolitic kidneys which you are providing to the American military."

"Those are made by Doctor von Schadel. My only input was the name." Which Games Workshop are now suing over. "He's very good at what he does."

"You did not assist him in making contact with the American government?"

"No, I did, but he was already in contact with the Department of Energy. And anyway, his contract was designed with wiggle-room. Once the things actually work-" And they appear to, if the subjects don't mind the side effects. "-then anyone working for Luthor's fleet can have them implanted."

"But not the People's Army."

"I asked, but it was a red line for General Lane. He wouldn't even agree to allow von Schadel to supply America's allies in NATO." I frown. "I thought that Jiang was on board with the whole space fleet thing?"

"The Chairman is. The politburo were distressed to learn that no sooner had China reached a position where we had sufficient metahuman strength to be independent of the Justice League of America, than America started to build a space fleet."

"Hey, no." I shake my head. "Lex is explicitly not building ships for the US military, or any part of the American government. It's a strictly private endeavour, for the same reasons that I'm not turning everyone in the Red Army into supersoldiers."

"And the American military is not benefiting in any way?"

"Only the same way you are. Or.. you can be by letting LexPower compete in the Chinese energy market. Is that still happening?"

"It… Should. It may be that something more is happening behind the scenes."

Darn it.

"Or it may be posturing. They may be reacting against what you said about your relationship with China during your most recent interview."

I grunt. "Or what they thought it sounded like I said. I thought I was avoiding saying anything particularly controversial."

"You described our human rights record as 'less than stellar'."

"Seriously? Look, I haven't made any secret of the fact that I think your metahuman control policy is out of date. That sort of obsession with total control made sense coming out of the civil war, and while the Communist Party was establishing control. It doesn't make sense now."

"That is one area where you and I disagree."

"No, you just hold them in contempt for their lack of loyalty. I hold plenty of people in contempt without feeling that it's necessary to imprison them." I shake my head. "What I said was the bare minimum that wouldn't make me look ridiculous to American viewers. You don't have data control over the whole planet."

"You may be interested in the planet as a whole, but the Chinese government is first responsible for China."

"Which is fine. Except that if the durlans set up outside of China no one else is looking for them because the politburo decided that it was a purely internal matter. Or when the Sheeda invasion fleet arrives and the Red Army can't coordinate with your neighbours to effectively fight them off, or if you haven't shared anti-mind control techniques and the fairy bastards cause a human-on-human war at the same time. The things I'm helping with aren't purely national issues."

I lean back.

"What's it going to take?"

"You have sponsored a school teaching American federal agents magic."

"How to recognise magic. It's pretty basic at the moment."

"You are aware that our attempts to develop an independent magic tradition have been met with only limited success." I nod. "We would be interested in affiliating with the school in San Francisco, in an attempt to improve our research."

Life takes with one hand, then gives it all back with interest with the other.

"I'll.. have to talk to the Head Mistress, but I suspect that we can come to terms."

Last edited: May 22, 2021
  19. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

Well yes, probably because they try to completely control their people, in a field where the most successful are strict individualists.

It's a shame that Grayven can't just kill their superfunctionaries and mind control their leaders into offering him the crown, which he turns down for a 20 year presidential term.

20. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

I mean... he could... but he would have to create a reason to make it seem reasonable, like a Starro invasion of the government - but make sure the starros make the targets permanently unable to function without them. Or having one of the superfunctionaries go rogue kill the government while others are unable to stop him. He could use a construct Starro to make sure nobody finds out - he hasn’t demonstrated the ability to turn living beings into constructs to anyone else on Earth not part of his group, and Starros are good at hiding the fact they are controlling people.

boo600, DAT_NOOB, Relyt33 and 5 others like this.
  21. Citizen

Citizen Well worn.

I feel like you are referencing something I am just not catching.

Relyt33 likes this.
  22. Mr Zoat

Mind control their leaders? What does he do about the other billion people?

23. Slayer Anderson

Slayer Anderson Orthodox Heretic

"You understand that you're making that precocious little shithead of a child genius look reasonable, right? Is that really something you want to do?"

24. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

Most of them won’t really do much - for all that people say, most of those billion people are poor and mostly too concerned with living day-to-day to care about the future / government. Things are made in China, and not often invented there.

25. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

That bad, eh?

And what part does the Life Entity play in matters, which Grayven is likely aware of but unable to prove correlation?

Ah, complaceny born of comfort. They think they're too important to... censure?

Ah, that explains the previous snippet of Renegade activity.

Presumably the inmate was judged not a great risk of anything other than drooling on someone?

August General in Iron, wasn't it? I see the Party has had Words with him over Grayven's last interview.

In other words, he buggers off somewhere, the project is left severely hampered by lack of knowledge...

Oh-ho?

<Snaps fingers> Damn. Could have managed to negotiate with them...

Poking them via American television probably didn't help.

Ah, they're put out that he won't help conquer the world? :DOf Course!

This could take a while...

Because of course they're suing. It is a trademark, I suppose, and GW are aggressively defensive of them.

What part of 'not helping you take over the world' did they not understand?

Except America isn't. An American is, but the two are not the same thing.

What he said!

Obstructionist Party members with fingers in the energy industry pie, no doubt...

It was excellently milquetoast-y.

I'm sure he's seen a few bad eggs, but how many of them survive his team's 'recruitment' process?

How very short-sighted of them...

Well said. And something the Party needs to hear... Now, whether they'll listen to what they heard...

Even Hogwarts wasn't built in a day. It probably took two or three, tops. :p

And if her response isn't "Agree, or I will castrate you in such a way that you cannot grow it back!" I will be surprised.

Well, that was an enlightening insight into the politics of this story's China. Let's hope Grayven hasn't pissed off too many Party members.
    (And let's keep the discussion in-universe, please?)

Last edited: Nov 3, 2019
  26. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

Eh... this is what most major country leaders are like these days, unfortunately. International cooperation and helping other countries doesn’t tend to be as big on anyone’s agenda as it used to be during, say, the Cold War

Prince Charon, Relyt33, mauke and 3 others like this.
  27. Ganurath

Ganurath Apologizes For Nothing

You would be too if you lost a pair of your setting's deities to litigation by comic writers who've been sitting on the characters ever since.
    *points at the international effort to make a massive fuck-off space fleet to defend the Earth against invasion*

28. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

“Points at it being a mostly privatized and commercialized effort that China is, according to the update, still considering pulling out of”

Ngamer11, Relyt33, Ardy and 8 others like this.
  29. Aeess

Aeess I trust you know where the happy button is?

If you want to turn humans into telepaths wouldn't it be better to get Doctor von Schadel involved directly?

I mean he is part of the light, an expert in human augmentation and a telepath, not to mention that he had access to Atlantean magic over the last couple of months, which we know can gramt telepathy(Aquaman)

Like he would probably be even more useful than the Chinese.

30. Karnven

Karnven Know what you're doing yet?

Ugh, even in fiction I can barely stand this Chinese businesses.

Prince Charon, Xjalnoir, Ardy and 3 others like this.