1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

Accept their thanks?

Yeah, he would have to. It's not really something you'd do on a lark, you'd have to do a bunch of preparations and that'd include PR.

I could be, but then I'd be there with you not getting what I'm referencing.

w34v3r, Ardy and Navi-Hank like this.
  2. Chaoswind

Chaoswind Lord of nonsense

You are seriously overestimating how "thankful" the Chinese would be of that operation heck not even the minorities would support such a thing.

Earth-16 China has extremely low meta-human crime (something I am sure the civilians are grateful for everytime an asshole goes in a rampage in the US), and are actively fighting an alien infiltration of chameleon aliens (even if the war isn't on the eye of the international public is fairly unlikely most of the civilian population is completely unaware of the situation even if they only know about it from hearsay). A degradation of liberties is probably the LEAST of their concerns and all "protest" against the government are probably seen in a bad light because the aforementioned chameleon infiltrators would coop these protest to distract the Chinese government.

You all are projecting a lot due to current chinese politics that shall not be discussed here.

3. nick012000

nick012000 Gone for Good

Doctor von Schadel is also an American military contractor, so the US wouldn't be willing to let him work for the Chinese, and it'd probably be a serious crime to leak information on his work to them.

Prince Charon, Cuchulin and Navi-Hank like this.
  4. Aeess

Aeess I trust you know where the happy button is?

Yeah, but my point is that working with him is much more preferable compared to working with the Chinese. So if you have to choose between those two, choosing China isn't the best decision.

5. Nioz

Nioz Know what you're doing yet?

There’s also the fact that he is trying to bring China into the international fold. If only so that when the Sheeda arrive, the controlled-human-on-human war doesn’t happen at a sufficient scale to prevent mounting an effective defense/resistance.

Prince Charon and Navi-Hank like this.
  6. Aeess

Aeess I trust you know where the happy button is?

Its not like they have to stop all projects together, just telepathy specifically.

Navi-Hank likes this.
  7. RichardWhereat

Chinese metahumans are given the choice between slavery for the state, execution, or death camp.
    Chinese government officials want to increase their military state, seemingly without aiding the planetary stage.
    Chinese liberties are very easy to dismiss when they're in a fictional story and you're not the one suffering them.

Now, the Chinese people at large have what media they're able to view highly restricted [as evidenced in this story]. So, it's simply a matter of framing the narrative you want them to see, and presenting them with it. Grayven has access to orange lantern branding. He can control everyone who matters in the politburo, and have them pave the way for him.

As for what little the current DC Chinese government is able to provide for their citizens, well, Grayven can easily provide that to them as well. He can also improve upon their situation. It helps that he's a god of conquest with maltusian clarktech, his own lantern corps, and decent relations with foreign powers who might have been able to undermine him.

Understand that the chinese government in DC isn't a democracy where the common people have much say. Who runs, and who wins, that's controlled by the central government. It's a one party system, and the vote is easy to spoof with power rings. As long as the common citizen is given the illusion of choice, alongside more freedoms, I highly doubt they'll revolt any more than our chinese people have since the 80s.

8. rdfox

rdfox Know what you're doing yet?

May end up being easier than Grayven thinks (once he finds the answer)--there have been experiments into magnetoreception in humans where volunteers were fitted with magnetic field detectors mounted on belts that transdermally transmitted their readings into the nervous system, without any attempt to specifically format or design the data transmission to be read by the brain; in these experiements, within a few hours of wearing the belt, the subjects were all able to detect local magnetic fields and identify their polar orientations... and were completely unable to explain what it was like to be able to do so to researchers, any more than you could describe green to a blind person, or describe a soprano hitting a high C to a deaf person. (The inability to describe it was seen as evidence of it being an entirely separate sense, rather than the brain interpreting the magnetometers' data through existing senses, since the latter would allow them to at least partially explain what they saw, heard, felt, smelled, or tasted to give them the information on the magnetic field.)

Granted, newer research seems to be showing that the human brain is at least wired for magnetoreception, possibly as a vestigial feature from earlier in the evolutionary tree when it was being used, and is only an unconscious thing that we flat-out ignore because we don't really have enough cells sensitive to magnetic fields to be effective any more, but even that might not make the parallel too far off, in that there are humans in the DCU with natural telepathy, which would indicate that the brain at least somewhat has the wiring to handle it. (Perhaps the test subjects are being driven mad not so much by the mere fact that they're now telepathic, but rather by the sheer overwhelming volume of unintentionally-broadcast thoughts from surrounding humans? Might be worth trying it out someplace far, far away from any inhabited world, so that the new telepath would be facing only a very small number of people's thoughts--preferably natural telepaths who know how to keep their minds "closed" and not broadcast their thoughts. Lord knows how easily I feel overwhelmed in social situations without telepathy; it could well be that non-telepathic humans who are made telepaths suddenly discover that even neurotypical people have a form of autism spectrum disorder that makes them unable to handle the sheer volume of telepathic input they are now receiving, much as how even high-functioning ASD persons struggle in crowds, unless they're all pretty unified in their thinking, like at a sporting event...)

Simonbob, Xjalnoir and Navi-Hank like this.
  9. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

No, it's conscription or a concentration camp. The people who are conscripted are paid for their work and generally well treated. The camp is supposed to be unpleasant enough that the people there have ample opportunity to change their minds.

Only people who commit serious crimes (including violently resisting arrest) are executed.
    The main SI would struggle with that, and he's good at manipulating desires. Grayven is far worse at it.

And even if he was successful, he'd be beset by people who had concerns about an Apokoliptian taking control of a country through mind control.

10. Sockmonkey

Sockmonkey I trust you know where the happy button is?

Honestly, if Grayven wants to score points with China, a device that can reliably detect durlans over long distance would do it. He's got power rings, apokoliptian tech, and magic users on the payroll. Surely he could put together something for them.

11. Someguy Somewhere

Someguy Somewhere The Critical Fumbler

Still no reason to break out the dark magic of the Tome of the Retconian, AKA Patentus Friendlius Renamian and screw over the whole of the setting.

IsActuallyBatman and Navi-Hank like this.
  12. NeoDarklight

NeoDarklight The Final Observer

The link for tetrachromacy is borked.

Cuchulin and Mr Zoat like this.
  13. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

14. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

He could, but then he would have to kill the JLA and many many many other Supers.

Navi-Hank likes this.
  15. Bramble Thorn

Bramble Thorn Verified Silhouette

Ok, what is the difference between a Bracer and Bracelet according to OL, and why does he have a problem with a bracelet? Because to me, a bracer is one of those metal bands that are flush against the lower arm above the wrist made out of metal or leather and needs to be attacked by wrapping it around the forearm, whereas a bracelet can be made out of pretty much anything, but is larger and looser can most can be put on or taken off by passing it through the hand.

Which would be ideal for that 'taking it off quickly in case it overheats' OL just mentioned.

Where do you get a second Zamoran? I only see a Carol from the reverse universe, and the one half-Zamoran from the local Zamora.

You do realize that to anyone not native to Earth, humans would count as part of the local fauna, right? Yes, the humans are a large part of what makes it look like a Death World to the rest of the galaxy, but a Death World still it remains. A high magic Death World with a jumped up elementals infestation and with bullshit green skinned neighbors next door, to boot.

Prince Charon, Cuchulin and Ardy like this.
  16. Mr Zoat

I realise that I haven't been explicit with how large spell eaters are, but they're too large to fit on something that could be accurately described as a bracelet.
    Chantinelle is around somewhere

17. Navi-Hank

Navi-Hank An engine fuled by spite

I've been imagining something the size of my fist more or less

18. RichardWhereat

Yes, resisting arrest for how one was born, or an accident happening to them. That wouldn't be considered serious anywhere other than .. rule 8, right.

19. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

Even Wonder Woman’s bracelets? The ones that only cover 1/4th of a forearm?

Prince Charon and Cuchulin like this.
  20. Mr Zoat

No, arrested for refusing to comply with national conscription laws. Most countries that have conscription do that. Try refusing national service in South Korea and see what happens.

21. Navi-Hank

Navi-Hank An engine fuled by spite

Those are not bracelets. They were handcuffs that got turned into bracers

nobodez likes this.
  22. Bomaz

Bomaz Know what you're doing yet?

Has Chantinelle meet Carol2 and Ghia'ta? Seems like they'd be interested in talking to her

Cuchulin likes this.
  23. Coda

Coda Versed in the lewd.

Bit of an on-the-nose example considering exactly that issue has been in the news recently.

Prince Charon and RichardWhereat like this.
  24. Chaoswind

Chaoswind Lord of nonsense

National conscription is a policy countries use all the time and many are justified in doing so.

Earth-16 China is under attack by the Durlans ergo its entirely justified. If DC US was also under attack by an alien force of shape-shifting aliens I would bet they would be under a police state not dissimilar than the Chinese one, national conscription is a harder sell in the US with the dissimilar cultural levers, but good old propaganda would probably handle most of that.

Cuchulin and megrisvernin like this.
  25. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

You forgot the forced breeding camps.

Because DC China is a real actual shithole for Metahumans.

26. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Halliday Worldwide, a military contractor with their own covert superhero team, is run by a Durlan.

A member of the Futurists, he, among other things, is there to stop the Purist Durlans from getting the pre-6 minute war Durlan DNA. So in fact the US is ground zero of a Durlan war.

The US experiments with Durlan technology produced the android Inferno and the shapeshifting nanite suit of the Shield's.

So if Durlans are a uniquely Chinese problem here, that's more to do with which comic books Zoat felt like incorporating than anything else.

Cuchulin and Ardy like this.
  27. Threadmarks: Sprited Away (part 7)
    Mr Zoat

18th February
    08:29 GMT -5

Roy glances my way as he falls in next to his newly armoured colleague.

"If this keeps going we're going to need a bigger mountain."

"Challenger Mountain's on the market. How do you feel about Denver?"

I'd been ignoring the problem, but Roy brought it up nicely. While the newer team members do need formal instruction, those of us who've been here a while… We don't need it. We're not a training squad for low risk busywork any longer-. If we ever really were. We need field experience, sure, but I can't help but think that an overhaul of the system might be required.

Like finding a city that is a bit of a mess and building a giant tower in the shape of a 'T' on a nearby island.

Or something.

And… Roy hasn't said anything to me, but… There isn't really much difference between him and the version of him on the League. Other than the fact that he's much better armed. Skillwise they're pretty much identical. And yet he's down here on the 'teaching' squad and William is on the 'graduated' League.

So what's the plan? I don't think there's any sort of structure by which we get promoted. Richard and Wallace will want to go to college and.. maybe they can't commit to spending the time or lack the neurological stability due to being teenagers. But Kaldur or Canis? What's the bar there?

Alright, with Canis-.

"Recognized, Batman, Zero Two."

I find myself not.. snapping to attention in the way that I used to as Batman strides into prime lecturing position. It's not that I don't respect him. No, it's that I don't fear his disapproval. I'm confident that (in my sphere) I know more about the job than he does. Or maybe actually getting to know the man has cured me of my lingering devotion to the Infallible Bat-God. Still, he has actually waded through reams of intelligence and crime reports to find something at our level -whatever that is- so there's no need to be rude.

"I have four tasks for the team. It will be up to you to decide where to focus your efforts."

Squads of five each, with a few left over. I'm a little surprised that the newest three are being included, but I suppose that they're not exactly 'new'. Arisia grew up around Lanterns in a spacefaring civilisation where knowledge of Lanterns was commonplace. Ghia'ta… Could be literally any age, and the Noriel part of Supergirl is thousands of years old.

"Federal police in Pakistan have requested assistance in dealing with several settlements they believe have been infiltrated by Kobra sympathisers."

A map flashes up on the holographic display, but I'm already frowning. Kobra are Hindu heretics. Pakistan is virtually entirely Muslim. Okay, there's some spill over in the border regions but Partition didn't happen because the two religions get on super well. So there isn't going to be significant native support for their ideology there… Or maybe that's the point? Marginalised communities being driven to adopt an extreme version of their religion due to external pressure?

"The team's task will be to gather evidence of Kobra activity and -if appropriate- to take action against any Kobra operatives in the area."

That team's going to need a magic user and.. probably M'gann? And those of us who've participated in anti-Kobra operations before should probably not take part. That area doesn't have the best communications infrastructure but if Kobra recruiters actually are active in the area I'm sure they'll have our pictures. Of course, none of us could really… Blend in with the locals, and it's not exactly a holiday hotspot. I wonder if Vasi's available?

"Secondly." The screen showing that part of Pakistan floats off to the side and another showing a snow-covered wasteland appears. "STAR Labs have requested that we help locate a team they dispatched to Nepal. They were studying the monastery which was briefly used as a refuge by surviving members of the League of Shadows last year. The team leader -a man named Anderson Gaines- reported that they had located metal samples of non-terrestrial origin before losing contact. We have their itinerary and last known position, but neither the Watchtower's sensors nor local rescue teams are able to locate them."

No Prometheus in this setting, as far as I have been able to tell. I suppose that he'd be quite young now, and I don't remember his real name. Would he kill a STAR Labs team? If someone was paying him, yes, but on his own recognisance he only targeted law enforcers. And I can't really see him being so attached to the place that he would attack them just for going there. So probably not him, and if it is then he's the Batman sort. Without preparation time he'd struggle to cope with a squad from the team and isn't that an awkward way to phrase it.

"Thirdly." Ah, this is a little closer to home. "The town of Kennedy in Oregon has the highest rate of suicide among teenagers in the north western United States, without any of the usual external triggers for suicidal tendencies."

Well, that's one way to get team numbers down to something manageable. I suppose that as team empath I should take that one, though that's a bit harsh considering how difficult my colleagues will find travelling to and from the other two.

"The team will attempt to discover why, or at least find a way to reduce it temporarily."

"Lastly, we've heard rumours of a metahuman fighting tournament being held in Madagascar. While prize fighting is not necessarily illegal, I'm concerned that wanted criminals may use it to generate revenue and advertise their services. The team will attempt to locate the event, observe it and plant monitoring devices."

Ah, the trainee mission. Madagascar has a large enough tourist population that any of us could fit in and it concerns a crime where the individuals involved want to keep things at least a little bit quiet. Or try and brazen things out if discovered rather than go out in a blaze of villainy. No obvious reason for me to go there. In fact, my public profile means that I'm a bad fit for it.

"I will expect to see your mission plans within the hour. Dismissed." Oh, the meeting room is going to get crowded. Maybe I should knock through a wall-. "Orange Lantern, stay behind."

A few of my colleagues glance back as they head down the corridor. I just give them a small shrug before giving Batman my full attention. If he wants to talk about yesterday…

"What can I do for you, sir?"

"I have a particular assignment for you." He fully dismisses the holoscreens. "I agree with the assessment you made that one of the key roles for the Justice League is to be prepared to take on the worst that the universe can throw at the Earth. As part of the League's ongoing training process I want you to act as our opposing force in a war game we will be conducting next week."

"You want me to take on the role of a supervillain?"

"Yes."

In.. teresting. "Do.. ing.. what?"

"That will be up to you. You have performed analyses of supervillain activity second only to my own. You know the sort of things that the League's enemies may attempt, and your knowledge of galactic politics means you are also aware of what extraterrestrial threats may exist. Submit your plan to me no later than Thursday."

"Sir." Oh… Man. So many things I could do with this. Of course, I'll have to make sure that my 'targets' and 'victims' are willing to play along… "I'm sure that I'll come up with something."

Batman nods. "Concerning your activity in Gotham City yesterday. While you were correct to say that you do not work for Batwoman, and have no obligation to obey my orders outside of team missions, I ask that in the future you try to avoid deliberately antagonising her."

"I'm sure that I can manage that."

"That aside, you are to be congratulated on your success. Whoever 'Mister Gotham' is, he and his cult represented a significant threat to the city."

"You should probably thank Selina about that, too. If she hadn't been there I doubt that I'd have found the place."

He nods. "Which mission will you take part in?"

"Ultimately, that's Kaldur's decision, but I was thinking Kennedy. Understanding people's motivations is what I'm best at."

He regards me for a moment and nods, then turns away and heads for the zeta tube.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2019
  28. Ganurath

Ganurath Apologizes For Nothing

Cue everyone in the thread having their own ideas for what Paul should do to play a supevillain. That said...
    Sounds like a certainly elderly hero who's alive in Grayven's continuity isn't so in Paul's, now.

29. Gforce1000

Gforce1000 Jibbering, Jabbering

I'm going to assume that Paul will end up pretending to be effectively Grayven 16: personally powerful warlord with a reasonably potent armada at his command is a surprisingly common threat in this universe.

And the parallel is too delicious to ignore.

30. jaelin910

jaelin910 habitual lurker

Well, she was doing a pretty good job of dying before grayven interfered....