1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Buggy123

Buggy123 I trust you know where the happy button is?

Wow, I'm impressed. I didn't expect Sivana to be that rational about it. To be honest, he's starting to grow on me.

He'd probably be fine if he cut off a limb during battle, but while he damaged them substantially he didn't detach them, and OL would have a lot harder time justifying cutting off a limb now that the battle is over and the suspect has been rendered powerless.

And it might not be all that easy to give away the limb even if he had. I would expect that a court would at least ask why a arresting officer gave away a limb that was dismembered in the course of arrest, and that would give the defense ammunition along the lines of 'How do we know that you didn't purposefully injure him more than necessary to arrest him?'.

2. Nioz

Nioz Know what you're doing yet?

But when this guy speaks up about the treatment and Beryl confirms the lack of certain wounds, Paul will have problems enough to not make it worth it.

Cuchulin, Alexandercctv and DrThoth like this.
  3. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Thank you, corrected.

4. Grimnar

Grimnar Versed in the lewd.

Those laws are literaly retarded, and the worst thing in this entire fic.

RichardWhereat likes this.
  5. Silverias

Silverias Know what you're doing yet?

Could you...elaborate?

6. doug89

doug89 Versed in the lewd.

How long before Batman asks Paul if he's going to make a habit of blowing away people's limbs with railgun rounds. This is the second major fight in a row that he's done so.

I mean, it's definitely effective and non-lethal, but I bet the League would give him the frowny-face.

7. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

Sorry if these corrections are repeats, I don't have time to read all the comments right now.

an

too

Ah, Paul, that's beautiful. You know the way to a supervillian's heart.

8. TheEyes

TheEyes Well worn.

While sapient rights legislation is normally fine, it doesn't seem to have made provisions for when those sapients are in fact only partially sapient, such as for example demons, who are fundamentally incapable of doing good deeds outside of certain, usually plot-related, circumstances.

Indeed, they may even pout. How sad for them.

9. iamnuff

iamnuff Connoisseur.

"I… Grudgingly concede your point. Your contacts are far to valuable to burn over one living specimen."

Man, it's surreal how reasonable this guy is.
    Sure, he's totally amoral and is focused entirely on his own goals with little care for anything else, but so long as your goals align... he might not even betray you at all.

Wild.

10. Mr Zoat

figuratively

If a law were literally retarded, it would mean that it was put into force later than originally planned.
    Thank you, corrected.

11. Grimnar

Grimnar Versed in the lewd.

Those laws are steps backwards in nearly all cases, and in violation of Common fucking sense. They are literally retarded.

12. Mr Zoat

I am literally asking you: do you not understand what the word 'literally' means?

13. Ganurath

Ganurath Apologizes For Nothing

Maybe he means retarding rather than retarded?

14. jonasquinn

jonasquinn I trust you know where the happy button is?

Whilst I agree that the legislation is annoying, something that OL himself has said on numerous occasions, I don't see how you can say that demons are only partially sapient

Ardy, DrThoth and Prince Charon like this.
  15. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

Yes - in this case they are literally retarded specifically because they are steps backward. They should either have been put into place a long time ago or not put into place at all - literally retarded.

16. Idkusername

Idkusername Versed in the lewd.

At what point does the mistaken use of a word become so widespread that it’s accepted? Pretty sure the only reason this hasn’t happened yet is because literally everything (heh) is recorded nowadays.

17. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

Problem is - they are capable of doing good deeds, as you point out - they just choose not to because they have no motivation to. The possible problem here - and what you may be getting at - is that they’re just psychopaths - and psychopaths / crazy people still get representation under the law - though that may be an entirely other issue that people can have opinions on. Do we want to let Dexter run free just because he only kills those he knows are guilty? What about if the person is only killing small animals - is he at risk of eventually killing humans? What about if he just enjoys hunting a bit much - is he at risk of starting to hunt humans? Do you capture Batman because you know he’s eventually going to kill someone - because it’s likely he’s not gonna be able to keep to “no killing” forever and when he does he won’t be able to stop? It’s a bit of a slippery slope between detaining / denying rights to mentally unstable humans / humanoids who haven’t provably done anything wrong, and capturing innocents who weren’t actually planning on doing anything legally wrong. For example, does Lucifer deserve human rights in DC - he does do good things despite being (sort of) a demon. What about those demons who really only punish people in hell and don’t often interact with living people? They can’t all be inherently evil - just some of their leaders are likely to be.

Vorian, WhiteNoise, LawWilk and 4 others like this.
  18. Sockmonkey

Sockmonkey I trust you know where the happy button is?

He also cut off Ocean Master's hands and decapitated Satanus, so dismemberment isn't a new thing for him. The League might bitch a little, but Batman probably won't bother with more than the usual bat-glare.

19. jonasquinn

jonasquinn I trust you know where the happy button is?

There was also the one time a while back when he was looking for someone and he stormed in to a known friend/partner of theirs house, chopped off his arm and threatened to keep doing it if he didn't tell him where the guy was

DrThoth likes this.
  20. rdfox

rdfox Know what you're doing yet?

No. Even if we agree to take it as read that the laws in question are steps backwards rather than steps forwards/sideways (which I suspect the G-gnomes, M'gann, Kal-El, and Red Tornado's extended family would rather vehemently dispute, given it finally gives them the same legal protections as humans enjoy), the word "retarded" is incorrect for describing them. Retarded means slowed or held back. When you lift off the gas pedal in your car to start coasting down to a slower speed, you retard the throttle, meaning that you slow the flow of air into the engine, reducing the amount of fuel consumed and the power output.

The word you are thinking of is retrograde, meaning "in a direction opposite the direction of motion, or of facing, or of the prevailing motion of a system." If you step back from someone who's in front of you with a fist cocked back to punch, you take a retrograde step relative to your current direction of facing. If you're in a spaceship in Earth orbit and want to come back and land, you fire your engines retrograde, opposite the direction of your current motion, to reduce your speed and thus lower the orbit to intersect the Earth's surface. And if you were to find a star system where one of the planets orbits the parent star in a direction roughly opposite the rest of its planets, that planet's orbital motion is said to be retrograde compared to the rest of the star system.

The only way that saying the laws in question are retarded could be accurate is if they were delayed in either enactment or in taking effect. And while I would personally agree that they should have been put into place essentially as soon as non-human intelligences were encountered in-universe, consider how "quickly" any government acts in response to a new situation; there's a reason that it's said that democracies will get things right... eventually.

Vorian, jonasquinn, Sceptic and 9 others like this.
  21. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

I think it was more threatening to eat his arm via Praexis Demon/Lantern, but either way the essential point is the same.

jonasquinn likes this.
  22. gustyeagle

gustyeagle Know what you're doing yet?

Ironically, literally and figuratively, literally can be used to mean figuratively.
    Isn't English just the best language ever?

23. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

It still happens.

People call humanoid piloted machines "robots" or human looking machines androids despite it meaning "male looking".

DrThoth and Cuchulin like this.
  24. Steelplaza

Steelplaza Custom Title

I have to say, I think Mr Zoat is giving Sivana kind of a sweetheart treatment here.

His inventions always work and never fail at inconvenient moments. We never see him bump up against the limits of what he knows. And worst of all, he constantly displays the ability to reign himself in and respond rationally when the core of his character is that he's the archetypical Mad Scientist who is simply incapable of doing so. I never minded earlier because the SI was catching him in calm, reflective moments when he could be expected to be at his highest clarity. In the middle of a fight and immediately afterwards? He ought to be ranting and practically frothing and have made at least one inexcusable mistake by now.

See, I find it almost impossible to see Sivana doing that. Never in a million years.

That's my feedback anyway.

DrThoth and Cuchulin like this.
  25. Mr Zoat

The man wasn't sheeda, and based on the information available to him probably doesn't have much to do with the people coming back from the future. Also, his children like the SI. If another superhero had tried that it probably wouldn't have gone as well.

26. Someguy Somewhere

Someguy Somewhere The Critical Fumbler

Remember Chummer, Geek the Mage First.

27. Mr Zoat

Indeed.

[​IMG]

28. Maxx Crowley

Maxx Crowley I trust you know where the happy button is?

Soooo....character growth?

Gantradies likes this.
  29. Sceptic

Sceptic Critical Irrationalist

Relevant section to point people at is around 2:44.

In comics, character growth is generally reserved for characters like Ant Man.

30. Maxx Crowley

Maxx Crowley I trust you know where the happy button is?

How fortunate we are that this isn't a comic then.