1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

Well... No. He doesn't regularly think about things that are massively unlikely in order to specifically dismiss them.

2. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Also Quasar's Quantum Bands.

Freedom Ring's Cosmic Ring.

And Starbrand's Star Brand.

3. DAT_NOOB

DAT_NOOB Accused of writing in a far away land

Check the omake index I think there might be more in there.

4. Mastigos2

Mastigos2 Versed in the lewd.

I mean, they're actually pretty impressive in how flexible they ARE, considering they've been mainlining pure stubborn will for untold eons.

Chojin Patriarch likes this.
  5. Valint

Valint I trust you know where the happy button is?

Eh, I'd consider the Supreme-verse stuff to be their own separate thing (given that the entire point of that group was to be a thinly-veiled JLA expy from a universe of their own).

Which, to be fair, thinking of the JMS reboot of Squadron Supreme, would be an interesting world for a version of Paul to have ended up in.

Those seem plausible analogues. I'd also add the Mandarin's Rings to the list.

Bramble Thorn and dogbertcarroll like this.
  6. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

Next JL training exercise ?

7. Sockmonkey

Sockmonkey I trust you know where the happy button is?

That was half of my peeve with it. The other half is that they still acted like "comic book" good guys while the villains were "real world" levels of evil, and smarter about it.

For power ring equivalents, are we talking about the full abilities, or just the basic stuff like Alan's could do?

8. Threadmarks: Bended (supplementary, Renegade option)
    Mr Zoat

24th February
    09:12 GMT -7

It's interesting. Shayera is actually too proud to shiver.

It's a crisp and clear winter morning in Rifle, Colorado. The school rush has more or less finished and the working population of the town is actively pursuing its lawful business. John and Shayera are dressed in regular street clothes -inasmuch as they can be considered 'regular' when accented with wing slits- and somewhere under the pile of blankets and coats sitting in the pushchair John's pushing is my young namesake. John's wearing a thick coat and fingerless gloves, and while Shayera is dressed reasonably sensibly, there's a fair amount of exposed flesh in her wings. Flesh with excellent circulation. It must be like carrying a couple of radiators around with her.

Not that you'd know it from looking at her.

Catherine.. somethingorother, a woman I vaguely know from the Parent-Teacher Association, waves to me as she heads into the local pharmacy. I smile and nod back. Yeah, the crime rate in Rifle has dropped like a ten tonne weight while I-. Alright, being honest, while the genomorphs have been here. Nothing that's happened since I've moved in has been serious enough to require my personal attention, though I've made a point of turning up in person a few times. And since I get on well with the local police I've had a few g-gnomes helping them upskill on the more archaic aspects of commercial and financial law. I doubt that this town has ever been so law-abiding.

"Does everyone here treat you like that?"

Shayera's eyes dart around potential angles of attack for a moment before alighting on my face.

"Yes. I've made a point of ensuring that my family and I are all part of the community. The hero-worship might have been worse, but this is a Republican state and the president I saved is a Democrat so they're not sure how they feel about it."

"How do they feel about Klarion?"

I smile. "Pretty darn satisfied. Have you decided whether or not you'll be sticking around?"

There's a slight.. sag from both. Batman 50 hasn't reappeared. It's looking increasingly like my alter ego got him. Having reclaimed the goddesses' blessings Diana 50 could return to Themyscira 50 without any trouble, but Shayera and John can't go back to America 50. Without a Watchtower to operate out of and with Stormwatch having taken over all of the Justice Lords' former responsibilities, there isn't really anything to draw them back. On the other hand they both loathe the idea of cutting and running when things get tough.

"No, not.. yet."

Shayera's eyes are pointing straight forward as she says it. Eh, if they haven't made a decision then they haven't made a decision. Not like it's urgent. Normally, this is the point where I'd try and slide them into one project or another and hope that the investment they'd grow to have in it would cause them to keep at it, but… These are my friends, and they have a proven track record of superheroism and sorting their own lives out, so… I'm going to limit myself to more direct avenues.

"You seemed to be having a pretty good time with Knockout, earlier."

"It's nice to be able to train with someone on my level."

I look away, smirking slightly. "I can feel Diana wince from here."

"Diana hasn't recovered her warrior spirit from when the Justice League defeated us."

I frown. "Is that a metaphor, or is there some sort of magic damage-?"

"A metaphor. She knows that the Justice Lords were wrong, but she doesn't have a clear goal any longer."

"Not planning on offering her a job?"

I, um. Hm. I… Could. Goodness knows that I always have work for superpeople. Putting another Wonder Woman on Earth is a bit awkward, but I could use her on Tamaran, or Hny'xx. Or with a disguise she could function as another bodyguard, but that won't really give her the purpose she's apparently looking for.

"I.. hadn't been. If you've got any-?"

John Stewart 16 descends to street level just ahead of us, arms folded across his chest. He's wearing his uniform, his environmental shield forming a solid green line around his body. He and his counterpart regard one another cautiously for a moment, then the 16 version turns to me.

"You wanna explain what this is about?"

I turn to John 50. "John, this is your alter ego from this Earth. I don't really know him that well, so feel free to blow him off."

"I'm just glad-" John 16 frowns at the sound of the voice, raising his ring slightly and doing what he thinks is a covert scan. "-that he didn't bring their Shayera."

"Okay." John 16 lands and walks over to us. "What's your story?"

My John passes the pushchair over to his wife and then steps up to his mirror. "You wanna have this talk in private?"

"I don't see a ring. Can you fly?"

My John's eyes glow brilliant emerald, his red overcoat gaining a Lantern sigil and John 16's eyes staring at what is unmissably a modified Guardian robe.

"Sure. Let's talk."

Both of them rise up into the sky, and the few rubberneckers return to their business.

"Should I expect your Shayera to drop by?"

"You're my Shayera. And… Mrugh, probably. She's an agent of the Thanagarian Empire too, and the version here hasn't picked a fight with 'me' yet. Once she hears about a Thanagarian who's not 'meant' to be here, she or her husband will probably investigate." I smile. "It will be interesting to see how they treat the news that thanagarians and humans can interbreed. That sort of thing…"

"I know. My Thanagar is.. the same." She snorts, then crouches down to make eye contact with Rex.

"But you know where's not? Tamaran. And if you're interested in learning to use a power ring-."

The air in front of us ripples and twists, and a construct fortification materialises around Rex and Shayera even as she draws an nth metal baton from the back of the pushchair. That's… An Almeracian-.

Queen Maxima strides imperiously through, taking in our surroundings in a moment and dismissing them as uninteresting. Her armour is a little more weathered than last time I saw her, but she is a warrior-queen. It's working armour, not a display piece. Shayera momentarily arouses her interest, then she frowns as she notices Rex.

"You told me that you were incapable of impregnating an alien."

"Rex is my godson. His father's-" I point upwards to where two green glows are just visible. "-busy at the moment. Shayera, this is-."

"Maxima. Superman told us about her."

"Good show. Maxima, is this a social visit..?"

"No, though I will take your invitation later. I'm in the middle of winning a civil war and I need somewhere to stash my heir."

"I'll be happy to put them-."

"Excellent!" A short, slightly built and extremely pregnant woman.. whom.. I presume to be Sazu walks through the portal and stands just behind her. "That weakling Ultraa shouldn't have time to send more than a dozen assassins before I've finished off his pathetic army."

She turns, grasps her wife by the shoulders and pulls her into a passionate kiss.

After a minute or two she releases Sazu.

"I'll be back soon. Keep Maxima Junior safe for me."

Sazu nods. "Of course, Mistress."

And Maxima strides back through the gate, which closes down once she's through.

Sazu walks over to us, smiling at Shayera. "Oh, what a delightful child. Is it yours?"

Last edited: Nov 23, 2019
  9. Grimnar

Grimnar Versed in the lewd.

What the fuck is happening. Just reading the occasional Grayven is like bashing your head against a wall.

10. hance1986

hance1986 A pitiful excuse for a man.

should be ' built '

11. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Given the circulation in her wings, she either suffers a lot in colder climates or has a large metabolism...

Yup! Presumably Thanagar is a much hotter climate in general. I imagine assignments in less temperate regions are seen as punishment details.

Love how he doesn't care enough to ask the ring for that woman's name. I suppose he considers Rifle in general his, though.

Still running in threat evaluation mode, I see. She reeeeeally needs to relax.

Heh, I could see them emigrating. There's not really anything left for them on Earth-50, John's family (if any?) notwithstanding.

Pfft, as if an exploding satellite would stop the DCAU Batgod.

Wow, the Renegade is actually being laid-back here. How.. strange it seems.

Not much fun fighting someone who doesn't feel like fighting back, I guess.

And I love that that's a necessary question in this life.

I doubt Diana-50 would feel like relocating anyway. I'm sure she'll find something to do.

Buuuusted.
    Correction: Stray square bracket, probably from Code.

Sloppy, John-16. Guess he hasn't really been pushed to improve like he was in the Paragon timeline.

As long as it stays private. I don't think anyone wants duelling Green Lanterns in town...

Heheh. That'd be a shock. I bet he has so many questions...

I expect she's busy back in her city, with her husband... [/Phrasing!]

No comment on the 'husband' thing? I guess she isn't that concerned.

Oh, damn it. She's going to grab the entirely wrong end of the stick...
    Correction: 'Her armour is'

...Yep, wrong end grabbed. And promptly corrected, at least.

Ah, she's been busy, in more ways than one, I see.:p

Confident, isn't she?

...Good to see that working out for them, then.

Well, guess we know who wears the.. uh, figurative.. pants in that relationship.

Well, at least Shayera's getting to bond over babies with someone. Might improve her mood?

Ah, Grayven, Life never seems to stop throwing complications at you, does it? At least no-one's throwing punches this time. Yet.

12. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

13. moralrelativity

seems to be a word missing

14. moralrelativity

Could someone please remind me where we've seen her before? Bonus points for a link to the relevant chapter. TIA.

15. Mr Zoat

Actually, a word is there unnecessarily.
    Here.

16. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Pff, haha. Grayvens multi-universal-slash-planetary-daycare-for-future-heroes-slash-galactic-conquerors :D

(now with complimentary Powerrings for each enrolled child)

17. moralrelativity

Thank you. I award you a googol bonus points.

18. Ganurath

Ganurath Apologizes For Nothing

I'm guessing from Grayven not noting a third eye that this is DCAU Sazu rather than comics Sazu, in terms of appearance?

19. Jacob Tibbs

Jacob Tibbs Getting out there.

Feathers are insulation for the wings

20. Mr Zoat

Fairly close to that, yes.

21. theaceoffire

theaceoffire Versed in the lewd.

Maybe she has a higher body temperature and thus needs the wings to keep herself cool?

22. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

Way back, before Grayven left Earth. Maxima was an alien queen who attacked him in an attempt to find a strong man to breed with/ marry. He pointed out he can’t breed normally with an alien, after suggesting a few alternatives to himself, none of whom Maxima found ideal. He then showed her that since she couldn’t have a child born with an alien without using cloning, and might want to choose as king someone who is good at running a government, and not leading a nation in war, she might as well choose a trusted advisor. So she married this lady, her advisor.

23. Old Knife

Old Knife Not too sore, are you?

Ahh yes. Like duck down filled jackets?

Prince Charon likes this.
  24. ForeverShogo

ForeverShogo Not too sore, are you?

If it makes you feel better, Earth 50 Batman was going to die anyways.

Without Grayven to throw things off, Superman would have gone right back to being a Justice Lord once he got his powers back and Wonder Woman would have never decided the Lords were wrong. They'd actually end up causing a civil war between those who think the Lords were right and those who think they were wrong, with Batman leading the faction opposed to them.

Batman ends up getting his neck snapped by Wonder Woman.

Also, the Justice League version of Wonder Woman actually abandoned her Earth to go live on Earth 50. Why? Because Batman 50 was willing to give her the Bat Dick that the Justice League version of Batman wasn't.

That relationship is actually how Batman 50 gets his neck snapped. Superman 50 makes it look like he beat the ever living shit out Justice League Wonder Woman. Batman 50 rushes in to make sure she's okay. Surprise! It was Wonder Woman 50! Neck snap!

Then Superman 50 tries to get revenge on the Justice League with a new lineup of Justice Lords.

Jaron, Ardy and nick012000 like this.
  25. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

Wow. That sounds like Batman really dropped the ball as far as not making sure it was the right Wonder Woman. He could / should have give the JL version a tracking device or something. A Batphone maybe. Especially if he knew they were going to be fighting Superman. Or something... mostly just surprised he got tricked.

26. Z3r0Sama

Z3r0Sama Not too sore, are you?

Ah a Gravy chapter. Excellent! Most appreciated after having too slog through Paul episode.

27. Mquz

Mquz Versed in the lewd.

Why is it that Graven fans read Paul, but lots of Paul fans don’t read Graven?

28. Pinklestia

Pinklestia Well worn.

Yeah, meanwhile Taul alienated his favourite version of the JLA. Tang + Paul: Taul.

Yes I know, horrible joke.

DrThoth likes this.
  29. DrThoth

DrThoth I trust you know where the happy button is?

I imagine it's just the quantity of story you'd be missing out on if you just read Renegade, which isn't equal to what you'd miss if you chose to just read Paragon, especially early on in the story. It's a shame either way; I think reading both offers a holistic and far more satisfying experience.

What has Paragon-Maxima been up to? Did she already come to Earth seeking out Superman as a viable mate like usual?

With Renegade-Alan dead and Renegade-Guy unenlightened, Lords-Stewart could be a valuable ally in terms of potentially becoming a Host of Ion or something. Perhaps he could use a Mother Box to make up for his lack of AI support, though I'm not sure how feasible it would be to procure/create one for him.

Cuchulin, Ngamer11, Buggy123 and 4 others like this.
  30. Mr Zoat

If she did, Superman is keeping quiet about it.