1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

I prefer Triptych.
    Yes. But I'm not going to.

I think there was a fairly accurate guess back when it first got mentioned, though.
    No, they come to Earth 16.
    Basically, those.
    He might still, but as I wrote the character scenes with the two of them just didn't happen and I don't want to have a relationship there with no build-up.
    Because the Tamaranians don't like him enough to completely change their culture for him.
    Helios would struggle to give magic-insensitive aliens from across the galaxy magical anything.

Also: JESUS people, spell check and paragraphs!

Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
  2. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Are you planning on giving Balewa his white quote marks back.

Even if the people of tamaran don't change their beliefs, he could still try it with Kori and her sister, but yeah it could be a bit difficult.

Hey was the trident that Kaldur used destroyed when they fought Oceanus and if not then what happened to it.
    You also gave a spoiler about the SI killing a version of Nabu, with the Sword of the fallen, from an earth 16 where he didn't show up.
    Are we going to see the Paul go there anytime in the story or did you just add that to tell us what he is going to do after the story ends.
    He is really going to need the sword if Trigon shows up at or after year 6.

Ardy and DrThoth like this.
  3. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

Is Lucifer going to show up in the Paragon side when the angels eat the fruit of knowledge

4. Mr Zoat

I already redid today's line. Are there others?
    Yes, it was destroyed.
    That happens in the last episode.
    Nah. All the times Trigon has showed up in the comics he's never been beaten by that sword.
    Yes.
    That already happened, so presumably not. Either that, or he's being uncharacteristically quiet.

5. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

There's still the one in Guys from Gotham where OL gives the arrested cultists over to him and the one when they are in heaven and Dr Mist talks about Mammon. When you posted the judgement day episode on QQ you forgot to give him white quote marks.
    The sword of the fallen was purely used in Hellblazer and not in any other DC publication from what im aware ,but yeah its probably true in your story that it cant kill him, but it could probably still hurt him, also it would still be incredibly useful to have against any other high level magic threats, like Neron if he didn't die during that episode in heaven and is now just in hiding, and especially Darkseid.
    Speaking of demons what is the Renegade version of Satanus up to now that The First is still alive and he lost the sword to the Renegade.
    Is the Paragon SI going to face off against Darkseid sometime during the story, i know you said that the Renegades final boss battle will be with Darkseid, but that could be just because hes gotten more involved with Apokalyps in general.
    I wonder who the Paragons final boss battle will be with.
    Speaking of the fruit i thought that the angels were waiting to see if Zauriel could be a moral person with free will, and if he was then they would eat it.
    Lucifer being quiet could mean that he is just traveling beyond reality like he did when his 2000 comic ended.
    Could we also get a list of who the various alternate versions of the SI are dating or may date sometime in the future.
    And i noticed a small snippet before Paul became enlightened where OL gives Jade a power ring, probably not an orange one because the color was redacted, and he said that he gave Paula one anyway. If you're going to write this in the future, assuming you haven't forgotten about it or changed your mind, will it be the Renegade giving her the ring or the Paragon.
    My bets on the renegade because there were no orange quote marks and OL seemed uncomfortable when Jade asked if he was proposing, and given how their relationship is in the Renegade verse, but it was before the whole enlightenment thing so it could still be Paragon

Ardy, DrThoth and Mr Zoat like this.
  6. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    The trick with Darkseid would be getting close enough.
    Still being Collin Thornton.
    Depending on how you look at it, either 'The Justice League' or 'himself'.
    Yes.
    Yes, it could mean that.
    No, because I cannot tell you about things I have not yet conceived.
    The SI.
    I think I wrote it before I decided that orange speech marks were going to be a thing.

7. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

You still haven't given him the white quote marks in part 11 of guys from gotham.
    Yeah, unlike The First Darkseid is both very powerful and very smart while the First is just dumb muscle more often than not.
    When you say that it may be the justice league im assuming that hey have some kind of falling out, you have alluded that his relationship with Batman becomes strained in the future, especially after Rimbor. And if his final boss is himself or the league im assuming that he doesn't fight them in the traditional sense, but in more along the lines of giving up on them or achieving some new type of mindset if his final boss is himself.
    But even if Darkseid isn't his final will the paragon still face him and fight him sometime in the story
    If it was the Paragon offering her the ring is it still going to happen.
    Also before Paul and Zatanna went to the crime syndicate universe Canis mentioned that Paul was a powerful New God and when Paul told him to go away because he was bothering Zatanna he reacted strangely.
    I know that the Frees mentioned that the orange light feels Apokalyptian and when Dreamer saw Paul she freaked out.
    In one of the more recent updates the Renegade mentioned that Knockout was being changed by being around him and before he went to earth-50 he said that she accepted him as her overlord in godspeech, i was wondering if something similar is happening between Canis and Paul when he told him to go away or if he just likes being ordered to do something by someone more powerful than him because it reminds him of home. Paul being something like a New God was also alluded when Canis said why he shouldn't ignore Zatanna and then switched to godspeech. Paul din't seem to undestand it exactly but got the meaning behind it.
    His ability to influence people was show when he recruited several people for the OLC, but i think it was first shown when he convinced Hera to divorce Zeus. He essentially accidently influenced her to accept her desire toe leave her husband even though as a goddes of marriage she was terrified of doing it initially.
    If we do see an alternate SI with a diffrent type of enlightenment then could you please tell us what it is, i know you probably won't but some hints would be appreciated. I think it may be violet, black, white, because all the other versions we've seen all use the diffrent lights, well except the green light but the anti green one could technically count.
    Hey how would common sense Paul deal with Lex Luthor, we already saw that he brought Queen Bees alliance with a hostile alien power to the attention of the UN meaning that they will either place sanctions on the country or even possibly have her removed from power if she continues.
    Are you planning any episodes with Dream of the Endless or the other Endless, because you had a brief scene with Desire when Paul was merged with the Ophidian and if you are then when.
    Will the souls on Karna go to Erebus now that there is a temple of Hades on the planet or is the SI simply hoping that they do.
    Are you planning on bringing Saint Walker in the story and if so then when

Mr Zoat and erebus1994 like this.
  8. Ardy

Ardy I trust you know where the happy button is?

Holy shit we are getting some late-game revelations today! I didn't even know you'd planned out the last episode let alone were willing tell us what it was about.

Are you just really bored at work today, Zoat?

9. thebishop8

thebishop8 Umm, ackchyually...

Oh, is today Q&A day?

In Fool's Canon, Paul discovered that alternate versions of himself had lost memories of the specific settings they had been placed in, and that the same had likely happened to himself. Is he ever going to do anything with this knowledge, like seek out alternate versions of himself so he can talk to them about it?

10. jonasquinn

jonasquinn I trust you know where the happy button is?

Well while we're answering questions here's a stupid one that's been bothering me lately

Markovia tends to be shown to be in Western Europe as a sort of much bigger Luxembourg but in Young Justice it was said to share a border with Vlatava, which has been pretty consistently portrayed as being Eastern European

So if they ever pop up in story, which I imagine they will eventually, are you just going to have Markovia be in Eastern Europe, have Vlatava in the west or just ignore it and say they're nowhere near each other?

Ardy likes this.
  11. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Markovia has always been supposed to be in Eastern Europe, apparently someone just didn't get the memo-

[​IMG]

Even as it's shown to border France, the caption says it's an Eastern European country.

I have to say I did not know about that amusing error.

12. jonasquinn

jonasquinn I trust you know where the happy button is?

Yeah, when I looked into it the wiki page said that it was originally meant to be in Eastern Europe but they later changed it to Westen Europe but even then no one seemed to agree on what kind of country it was meant to be

Though having looked into it some more the Young Justice wiki does say that Markovia is in Eastern Europe and gives a map of it but I can't make any sense of it

Lord Ernest likes this.
  13. Lord Ernest

Lord Ernest At the End...

I think it's probably because when most people hear "Eastern European Country" they immediately think of a small country nobody has ever heard about. Same thing happens with Latveria and Symkaria in Marvel. That image shows that Markovia is just a piece of Belgium that somehow got its own autonomy. Vlatava is probably the same only that somewhere in the Czech republic, close or run through by the Vltava river, I would assume?

Prince Charon and jonasquinn like this.
  14. Threadmarks: Bended (part 17)
    Mr Zoat

2nd March
    23:07 GMT

"Superman, Lantern Jordan, Wonder Woman, Captain Marvel. I have a location I need you to investigate as a matter of priority."

I look up from monitoring the locations of the various participants in the wargame as Batman speaks. Jordan for transportation, and the other three are the toughest members of the League. I think he thinks that he might have found the main villain.

"Having analysed the wavelengths of the radiation surge which killed Flash, I believe that it was generated using waste material from early work in plutonium production. If Sensite's claim that the criminals are working in Russia is accurate then there are several possible locations, but the most likely somewhere near Ozyorsk in the Southern Ural Mountains. The area is highly radioactive. Everything you encounter there will be contaminated to a level hazardous to human health."

Hm. Well, they might still be there. If the plan was near completion they'd have moved on by now. Or given the sudden slowdown, they might have decided to bring things to a conclusion right now with their ultimate objective unfulfilled.

I take a moment to wince inwardly as General Lane is 'beaten unconscious'.

Jordan nods. "Superman, you still in Hartford?"

"Yes, but I can get to the Gotham zeta tube-."

"I'll be faster."

Jordan's picture glitches and then there's a green glow behind Superman. He's not that quick with passengers, but it'll be faster than Diana using her plane or Superman or William flying under their own power.

William looks puzzled. "Why is everything near Ozyorsk so radioactive? Is that what the town near Chernobyl is called?"

"No. Chernobyl is in the Ukraine. Ozyorsk was a Soviet-era closed city where people working at the Mayak nuclear plant lived. It was the Soviet Union's first plutonium enrichment facility. Waste storage systems were poorly designed and maintained, and large quantities of waste were simply dumped into local lakes. In nineteen fifty seven the main storage system not in a lake overheated and exploded. The resulting disaster was a level six accident on the International Nuclear Event Scale, the second worst of any disaster in human history."

On the monitor, Jordan and Superman glow brilliantly as they head to pick up Diana.

"It also caused four times as many cases of acute radiation sickness as Chernobyl. I contacted the head of the Mayak Production Association just after the Seattle attack, but they only confirmed that the facility has not been breached. The surrounding area is too large for them to check quickly."

"You mean… People still live there?"

"Yes. It's possible that our primary opponent is a local person who wants to use KordTech's technology to protect the people who live there."

No.

"Should we..?" He glances my way over Batman's shoulder. "Do something about that?"

"The people who live there are free to leave, and there isn't any easy way to remove thousands of tonnes of highly radioactive material from the environment-."

He cuts himself off and glances at me, while my face remains impassive. Then he returns his attention to William.

"Though if you are aware of one, I imagine that the Russian government would be extremely grateful."

"And… I know I can take radiation like this, but… Ah…"

There's a glow as Jordan acquires Diana, and William's background blurs as he shoots higher into the sky.

"If I breathe radioactive dust in and transform, I don't know if that would kill me or not."

"Captain Marvel, I'm not trying to kill you. In the event that your abilities don't simply prevent radioactive material entering your body and don't neutralise it, I'm confident in my ability to purge you."

He nods, then returns his attention to Batman. "I don't suppose you've been able to get any of those radiation shields they stole?"

"Unfortunately, the people who were working on them were among those 'killed' during the attack. Icon has asked his associate Hardware to create a suit to serve the same function but it won't be ready until tomorrow at the earliest. And it isn't designed for people with super strength."

"Don't sweat it, Captain." The other three appear just behind him. "I can put an environmental shield around everyone. That'll keep you safe."

"Actually." Superman points to the personal shield I built into his buckle. "This keeps out radioactive particulates as well as the radiation, so I should be fine."

And Diana's wearing her golden armour which-.

"My armour's enchantments should do the same."

I'm pleased that she's taking things so seriously. She even explained not wearing it from the start using the in-game rationale. But there isn't really anything I can do to make it more convenient to wear. It needs to be that size for the enchantments to hold.

"Captain Marvel, if you're unwilling-."

"No! No no. That wasn't what I meant." He turns in the air to face the others. "Let's go."

Hm. Their target is on-site. And… Mr McCulloch isn't. I wonder if he's quit, too.

Should I go down there, or would it be better not to? Given the strategies we discussed during the planning, I… Probably should.

I raise my right forefingers to my forehead

step out

3rd March
    04:09 GMT +5

and reappear over the Mayak facility. If this does turn into a brawl, the last thing this region needs is yet another radioactive dust cloud. I'll see if it occurs to Jordan to create a containment dome and then create a 'failure dome' myself. Whether it does or not. The boss isn't going to be aiming at me or disrupting my concentration -not unless I've seriously misjudged things- but they will be aiming at Jordan. He's shown some ability to manage multiple constructs simultaneously, but given that he still prefers to avoid doing so I doubt that they're anything like as strong as what he can make when he's allowed to focus on one.

Ah, there they are. Jordan brought the group to directly over the city, and Superman grimaces as he takes a look at the inhabitants. I know that he doesn't share his comic book alter-ego's ability to see souls or individual atoms, but he can see skin lesions and his vision includes the frequencies of most popular types of radiation. He knows with an immediacy that even I can't match exactly how deadly this region is.

I dim my light as much as possible. I don't want to help them find anything-.

Incoming transmission.

Answer.

Orange Lantern. I believe that I am ready for the final confrontation.

I light up again as I rapidly gain height.

"Are you sure?"

I misjudged the behaviour of the mercenaries. I know that you warned me, but I honestly assumed that my personal power would make a greater impression on them. I don't think that attacking the Yucca Mountain Nuclear Waste Repository is going to be possible.

The four League members are heading in the direction of the lakes… Alright.

I generate a construct dome, Jordan looking up with mild concern as I do so.

"Okay. Begin the final stage when you're ready."

Starting now.

A giant plume of dust erupts from the concrete plug over Lake Karachay.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2019
  15. QuiescentQueste

QuiescentQueste Not too sore, are you?

16. Ganurath

Ganurath Apologizes For Nothing

Nyssa: "...Did you get one of my coworkers to rip off my father?"

boo600, Tyrantviewer, sagemo and 11 others like this.
  17. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Just looked up Karachay:

The radiation level in the region near where radioactive effluent is discharged into the lake was 600 röntgens per hour (approximately 6 Sv/h) in 1990, according to the Washington, D.C.-based Natural Resources Defense Council,[5][6] sufficient to give a lethal dose to a human within an hour.

Jesus...o_O

New theory: the actual excercise is making the Leaguers realise thatthey could have tried to help the people living there and making them more aware of other not-supervillain problems they could help with.

18. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Yeah, that loadout is basically the end-boss team of the League.

Especially if the Boss decided 'fuck it, plan failed, hit the self-destruct.'

Time to gather for the final dungeon.

Let's hope he's got transitions down. I don't think any of the Leaguers want to leave things behind... Like lunch...

Damn, Soviet operations didn't pay much heed to the concept of 'safety', did they?

Assuming the facility staff aren't 'compromised' by the villains.

Altruistic, but the wrong way to go about things...

Hey, ignore the DMPC, Billy. It's like Gandalf, he can't take direct action against the villains.

Hint, hint, OL. Batman being subtle as ever...

Just ask OL for a Dannering. That +20 to Fortitude is a big help.

A good idea, but...

Just as long as you don't get distracted, Jordan.

Well, they've planned ahead. Points for recognising likely threats.

There's the Courage of Achilles. Going into danger even when he's not sure he can survive it, for the sake of others.

And it'll make it easier if things go tits-up.

Yep, OL's serving as a safety net. Let's hope the team can remember not to shirk their own duty to protect the area, knowing that he's there.

Methinks this region is likely to get some aid soon. Whether the government likes it or not.

Oh, dear. I knew it, they're going to go out hard.

Interesting that he went to vocal communication. Because unless he's shielding audio, Superman can hear that.

Don't get sloppy, Jordan. Safety net, nothing more.

And someone has hit the big red button. Fight's on!

Time for the big finale. Break out the big blue skybeam, grab some popcorn, soda and malteasers, and kick up those feet, we got fireworks incoming!

Corrections:
    ...monitoring the locations of the various...
    ...manage multiple constructs simultaneously...

19. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    No.
    Yes.
    I could, but I think you can wait a few weeks.
    I don't know.
    Not at present.
    The SI doesn't know.
    No.
    I'm generally happy to answer questions.
    The SI isn't sure what he experienced, and is more focused on the people and places in his own reality.

20. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

21. Old Knife

Old Knife Not too sore, are you?

Is the mystery villain supposed to be everyone's favorite eco terrorist?

22. Mr Zoat

Tsukasa?

Last edited: Dec 11, 2019
  23. Stsword

Stsword Versed in the lewd.

Even disregarding the caption-

The royal family, of which the country is named after, bear a Slavic name common in Russia and Bulgaria. While Brion and Tara are exceptions the other family members have Eastern European first names such as Viktor, Ilona, and Gregor.

The country ends in -ia, like only a bajillion Eastern European countries.

I find it far easier to believe that the artist screwed up and nobody noticed than that the writers decided to make a western european country with a Eastern European sounding name, ruled by a royal family with a Eastern European last name, whose King and Queen bore Eastern European first names.

24. Sceptic

Sceptic Critical Irrationalist

It's like you don't even know us.

Mi casa.

25. moralrelativity

moralrelativity Recovering pendant.

I like that theory. It would be just like Paul to create multiple positive outcomes from one project.

26. Breadnaught

Breadnaught Experienced.

"You know I can't do large scale environmental changes like that unless I have some sort of personal investment in the area."

"Like the kind of investment you might feel if it becomes a location of interest in a wargame you created."

"Possible. Especially if a super-brawl breaks out in the area, causing radioactive material to be kicked up."

27. Otokonoko Culture

Otokonoko Culture {Unverified Trap} {Verified Cake}

Is there supposed to be an indication that this is dialogue?

28. BR549

BR549 This is filth! FILTH!!

Remind me...what was the fate of Red Volcano here?

29. TheEyes

TheEyes Well worn.

I still think that Kommand'r should have lost her ring over that fiasco. If you're deliberately keeping your commanding officer in the dark because you can't wait to get your maximum-civilians-killed genocide boner on, then the Orange Lantern Corps, already having to live down a billion years of Larfleeze, probably doesn't want you as a member.

And Koriand'r probably should have been challenged whether or not she still wants to have an orange ring, given that she kept Paul in the dark because she didn't trust that he'd want to save the civilians too.

30. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

The SI didn't actually see Kori until he went to the psion homeworld.And although he probably is very upset with Komandr he probably isn't upset enough to take away her ring. The only good thing that can be said about that incident was that a completely evil race like the psions was the only one that went extinct. Some future member of the OLC may try to do something similar to a species that isn't as pure evil as the psions. Now at least OL learned that he should keep better watch over his lanterns so that they don't do something similar like this.
    Speaking of OLC policy what is their policy about dealing with members who did horrible things with their rings but weren't driven mad by the orange light.
    Also are we going to be seeing any future storylines involving kori and and her sister in the paragon timeline and are we going to see X'hal in either.
    I read the red lantern comic book and when Atrocitus went on his quest to kill those that commited evil it sounded like something that OL did with the whole seeking recruits wit the honden of avarice

Last edited: Dec 11, 2019
    Cuchulin and w34v3r like this.